Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nah, he was just a shallow tie-in to Strong World. He didn't really do much of anything other than just exist

EDIT: I wonder what Enel does in his sweet moon base all day. Does he just chill out in his throne randomly shocking his immortal robot goons for amusement? Take the Maxim out for a spin on a celestial star cruise?

White Light fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Weren't they just two Vice-Admirals at the time, though? And I got the impression that their showdown at Marineford was more personal than a mighty decree from the acting Fleet Admiral or something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The yonkou just kinda sit on their asses scheming against each other or otherwise doing their own thing though, while during Roger's age everyone was presumably making a mad dash toward Pirate King-ness

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Advice posted:

Weren't they just two Vice-Admirals at the time, though? And I got the impression that their showdown at Marineford was more personal than a mighty decree from the acting Fleet Admiral or something.

Yeah, Garp's always been a vice admiral but this was back in Garp's heyday, the time when Roger existed, so Garp was still a really big deal even back then. Especially back then, really.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really know why I'm talking about Shiki, especially when I've only read the tie-in manga chapter and never seen Strong World itself.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Put it this way: there's a reason he's in exactly one chapter, and said chapter just happened to come out while they were promoting Strong World.

He's a cameo movie tie-in to sell tickets. You're not meant to think too hard about the logistics of his fleet or his relevance to the world at any time.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

The yonkou just kinda sit on their asses scheming against each other or otherwise doing their own thing though, while during Roger's age everyone was presumably making a mad dash toward Pirate King-ness

Well Roger's death is what started the age of pirates, so I always figured that on the whole there weren't many pirates and the ones that did exist were kind of aimless.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sengoku was an admiral that that point.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Advice posted:

Put it this way: there's a reason he's in exactly one chapter, and said chapter just happened to come out while they were promoting Strong World.

He's a cameo movie tie-in to sell tickets. You're not meant to think too hard about the logistics of his fleet or his relevance to the world at any time.

He was already planned as a character in the manga though. Oda just decided to move his story to a movie instead. He was going to be mentioned when Shanks and Whitebeard met. I really don't think that they'd bring up some random dude. Not to mention they talk about him in Impel Down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Advice posted:

Technically he's mentioned in one chapter (as the only escapee), then we get the tie-in chapter that actually shows how he escaped.

At the very least I think he's more important (and canon) than Zephyr.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Strong World is kinda weird because it featured a villain considered a big shot in the New World right about the time the manga was emphasizing that the Straw Hats were simply not anywhere near ready for the New World.

On a somewhat related note: How is Film Z or whatever it's called?

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 1, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pureauthor posted:

Strong World is kinda weird because it featured a villain considered a big shot in the New World right about the time the manga was emphasizing that the Straw Hats were simply not anywhere near ready for the New World.

Well, he basically lost due to hubris. Luffy could have drowned in that water ball, but Shiki decided to try to finish him all fancy.

Film Z was ok. Not quite as memorable as Strong World, but it was interesting. Zephyr was also a pretty interesting antagonist.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Bothered me in that there was literally no place it could have fit in.

One Piece generally has some leeway between arcs, but this was not the case since the timeskip.

Animation and fighting scenes were really good.

Less happy about the plot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Bothered me in that there was literally no place it could have fit in.

One Piece generally has some leeway between arcs, but this was not the case since the timeskip.

Animation and fighting scenes were really good.

Less happy about the plot.

Strong World can fit between Thriller Bark and Sabaody. The only issue is Zoro isn't injured in Strong World from his Thriller Bark injuries, but otherwise, the movie can fit in there.

EDIT: Oh wait, you were talking about Film Z. Yeah, that's just a weird case, especially given how Aokiji was first revealed in that movie long before Punk Hazard revealed what happened to him.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 1, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was there a manga chapter made for Film Z like there was for Strong World?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was there a manga chapter made for Film Z like there was for Strong World?

Don't think so.

Anime had tie-in episodes though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

One Piece has leeway between arcs because all the title pictures of the crew relaxing on beaches and playing with animals are canon

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

One Piece has leeway between arcs because all the title pictures of the crew relaxing on beaches and playing with animals are canon
what about the ones where they're being assailed by animal doppelgangers

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yeah, like I said, I know there are leeway before the timeskip.

But after the timeskip there's like, no real leeway.

As soon as they get back together, they head to Fishman Island. The arc happens, they leave, and end up meeting a buncha whales and then have to choose between the islands. They were gonna go for Lightning Island but eventually the Den Den Mushi leads them to Punk Hazard. Because of the way the Log Poses work, it's pretty impossible for them to make a detour.

After Punk Hazard, they meet up with Law and head straight to Dressarosa, then they head straight to Zou.

The anime has the Z tie-in arc and the movie happen between Fishman Island and Punk Hazard, but the sheer amount of travelling done during that time makes it (virtually) impossible to have happened.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Yeah, like I said, I know there are leeway before the timeskip.

But after the timeskip there's like, no real leeway.

As soon as they get back together, they head to Fishman Island. The arc happens, they leave, and end up meeting a buncha whales and then have to choose between the islands. They were gonna go for Lightning Island but eventually the Den Den Mushi leads them to Punk Hazard. Because of the way the Log Poses work, it's pretty impossible for them to make a detour.

After Punk Hazard, they meet up with Law and head straight to Dressarosa, then they head straight to Zou.

The anime has the Z tie-in arc and the movie happen between Fishman Island and Punk Hazard, but the sheer amount of travelling done during that time makes it (virtually) impossible to have happened.

That's a thing with shonen movies in general, not just in One Piece. Like Goku fighting Turles on Earth when he should have been on Namek at the time.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I tend to not really think about the movies too much, they're kinda like junk food; good to tide over the hunger pangs but not gonna replace the actual meal.

I don't even think chapter 0 is really part of the official cannon either, there are some major spoilers in it that shortchange a lot of early plot development, Ace's roots being one.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What's wrong with vol 0? I've been watching the dub with my sister and showed he vol 0 animated right after Luffy meets Bon Clay on the third floor of Impel Down and it flowed perfectly. It shows just how great Gold Rodger in a visual context which will be a theme to In Marineford. it's an excellent way to show just how huge the One Piece story has gotten and gives sneak peaks at Dadan and Ace's Mom giving more interest and speculation to who they are.

I think vol 0 is kind of essential to the experience if you see it at the right time

lItteraly the only thing they show about Ace is him as a toddler with Garp dropping him off at an unseen do Dadan

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 1, 2016

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

I think it's entirely possible that Yonkou weren't a thing before Roger. They came to fill the power vacuum when he died.

This makes me wonder - where did the power vacuum come from? Has the World Government just never held a tight grip on the New World, or did Roger and / or the Four Emperors kick them out?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

This makes me wonder - where did the power vacuum come from? Has the World Government just never held a tight grip on the New World, or did Roger and / or the Four Emperors kick them out?

We can't say for sure since it hasn't been explicitly discussed. It seems like there wasn't a major pirate presence on the Grand Line or New World before Roger since he basically kickstarted the pirate age as we know it. After his execution is probably when Whitebeard, Kaidou, and Big Mom began amassing followers in the New World. I don't think the Marines had a large presence in the New World until after the war at Marineford, partly because fighting the Emperors would cause massive losses and also because we know that G5 was more heavily fortified after the war. They had to have realized that the pirates weren't slowing down so they had to start doing something.

What I'm interested in is Shanks' motivation for being an Emperor. The others are fairly straightforward: Kaidou wants to start a world war that could kill him, Big Mom wants food, and Blackbeard wants to be the Pirate King (Whitebeard's motivation was his family). Shanks, on the other hand, we don't know what drove him to leave East Blue for the New World and for what goal he became so strong. If haki is willpower and Shanks has maybe the strongest haki, then you'd conclude that he must have some goal important enough to need that strength.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It'll be interesting to see how many countries in the new world are world government affiliated since they're presumably all insanely strong not to need a marine presence as such. Elbaf and Wano obviously are and Dressrosa is the only other country we know about so far. Dressrosa is a bit odd in that respect because whats to have stopped pirates before/after doflamingo from loving it up other than Oda never really thought about it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Based on Shank's actions at Marineford, I'd wager that he uses his position to maintain some sort of balance between the major forces in the world.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jose posted:

It'll be interesting to see how many countries in the new world are world government affiliated since they're presumably all insanely strong not to need a marine presence as such. Elbaf and Wano obviously are and Dressrosa is the only other country we know about so far. Dressrosa is a bit odd in that respect because whats to have stopped pirates before/after doflamingo from loving it up other than Oda never really thought about it

Dressrosa was protected by its gladiators before Doffy came along. Kyros was a huge hero for like 20 years before being turned into a toy soldier, and after that they had Doflamingo + Kaido's protection to keep them safe. And even BEFORE that, there's the Tontatta protecting the place, who are so fast most people don't even realize they were in a fight before losing. Dressrosa had plenty of stuff going on to defend itself with.

Cloks posted:

Based on Shank's actions at Marineford, I'd wager that he uses his position to maintain some sort of balance between the major forces in the world.

I'm thinking its either this or guarding Raftel (or both). He was on Roger's crew, he may very well know what is on that island and why its so important that no one but the pirate king reaches it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Shanks knew ace was luffy's brother and that luffy would likely turn up to the war

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Parrotine posted:

I tend to not really think about the movies too much, they're kinda like junk food; good to tide over the hunger pangs but not gonna replace the actual meal.

I don't even think chapter 0 is really part of the official cannon either, there are some major spoilers in it that shortchange a lot of early plot development, Ace's roots being one.

How exactly would that make chapter 0 non canon?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cloks posted:

Shanks is in the New World to have the sweetest parties. Plus he promised Luffy they'd meet up there. Otherwise he's probably be bumming around.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shoren posted:

We can't say for sure since it hasn't been explicitly discussed. It seems like there wasn't a major pirate presence on the Grand Line or New World before Roger since he basically kickstarted the pirate age as we know it. After his execution is probably when Whitebeard, Kaidou, and Big Mom began amassing followers in the New World. I don't think the Marines had a large presence in the New World until after the war at Marineford, partly because fighting the Emperors would cause massive losses and also because we know that G5 was more heavily fortified after the war. They had to have realized that the pirates weren't slowing down so they had to start doing something.

What I'm interested in is Shanks' motivation for being an Emperor. The others are fairly straightforward: Kaidou wants to start a world war that could kill him, Big Mom wants food, and Blackbeard wants to be the Pirate King (Whitebeard's motivation was his family). Shanks, on the other hand, we don't know what drove him to leave East Blue for the New World and for what goal he became so strong. If haki is willpower and Shanks has maybe the strongest haki, then you'd conclude that he must have some goal important enough to need that strength.

Disagree on several points:

1.) Whitebeard was already a big deal pirate captain with followers when he met up with Roger on the mystery cherry blossom paradise when Roger talked about the meaning of the Will of D off-screen to Whitebeard.

2.) Possibly correct on the New World Marines point because they moved the HQ to the New World presumably to brace the upcoming storm that Law talked about on Punk Hazard, but Garp was chasing around Roger way back so it's debatable.

3.) My guess is that Shanks knew he wasn't going to be the next reincarnation of Roger as Pirate King but someone out there would be, so he needed to be strong enough to act as regent for the throne, so to speak. It was a big deal for Shanks to go back to Rayleigh and tell him the news of how Luffy acted and spoke exactly like Roger did. Shanks is very concerned with the way the era is changing, too, which only a Yonkou or someone of similar stature could reasonably impact and direct (eg being able to fend off Akainu to defend Coby/Luffy, foreseeing Ace's involvement with Blackbeard in his meeting with Whitebeard, etc).

We'll probably learn more about Shanks's motivations for certain when the Straw Hats finally meet up with him in person.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 1, 2016

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
As I am re-reading the story, I find myself hoping that Buggy gets to Awakened level with his Devil fruit... he is such a great character and villain.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

dazoner posted:

As I am re-reading the story, I find myself hoping that Buggy gets to Awakened level with his Devil fruit... he is such a great character and villain.

Wouldn't that basically just be Laws fruit but messier?

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Caidin posted:

Wouldn't that basically just be Laws fruit but messier?

He would use it in such hilariously incompetent ways... like people could control their body parts while in his AOE

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Aren't Buggy's fruit and Law's fruit different tiers or something?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mraagvpeine posted:

Aren't Buggy's fruit and Law's fruit different tiers or something?

I doubt it.

Buggy's is limited to himself, and is a passive ability as far as I know (since I don't think he's reflexive enough to instantly avoid sword strikes from the like of Mihawk or Zoro) that can be activated for more precision. It's pretty instantaneous.

Law needs to make a cut in order to slice people up like that, and it's unknown whether he can do it to himself. His powers aren't really about doing what Buggy does, it's about operating within a confined room that he creates. The focus of the power is different.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Buggy's is limited to himself, and is a passive ability as far as I know (since I don't think he's reflexive enough to instantly avoid sword strikes from the like of Mihawk or Zoro) that can be activated for more precision. It's pretty instantaneous.

Buggy was able to be sliced without being hurt when he was used in Luffy's Jet Human Shield "attack" against Mihawk at Marineford. Buggy was caught completely off-guard but was still able to react in time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Buggy was able to be sliced without being hurt when he was used in Luffy's Jet Human Shield "attack" against Mihawk at Marineford. Buggy was caught completely off-guard but was still able to react in time.

Yeah, my point was that I considered it to be something passive, like Luffy's rubberness, that could be activated for more detailed use.

Like, Zoro cut the dude down instantly during Buggy's arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorta like how I assume that Alvida's ability is also passive, in that it permanently altered her appearance and attacks seem to just slide off of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I doubt it.

Law needs to make a cut in order to slice people up like that, and it's unknown whether he can do it to himself. His powers aren't really about doing what Buggy does, it's about operating within a confined room that he creates. The focus of the power is different.

He can take out his own heart and performed surgery on himself to remove the sickness he had, so I'd say yes he can