Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The full release is planned for sometime in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I remember the Suikoden style space station and the mockups for it. It does sound exponentially better than what we have now.

And yes, PvP heaven was the plan for endgame.

Chucklefish posted:

End game

So eventually you’re going to get through all of the missions, you’ll have the best gear and you’ll be looking for a new challenge. This is where sector X comes in. Sector X is a collection of planets in which PVP is enabled by default and players battle over controlling various planets. To take part in the battle you first have to form an organisation (in game), which gives you access to a space station shared by other members of your organisation. The space station doubles as a ship that any captain in the organisation can control and is constructed from blocks and objects for full customization.

The PVP in this sector is entirely optional, players choose whether or not to attack each other or work together. Monsters, quests and events will be strong enough to be challenging even with the best tools in the game. And in game events, invasions and so on will keep the experience fresh.

While I was looking for the Sector X thing, I found this classic:

Chucklefish posted:

Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lewd.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:crossarms:

Reddit posted:

So I picked up Starbound today, and started playing the unstable version. On my starting planet, there was a mining base along with a bunch of stone ruins. At the mining base, there was only one guy, but there were a ton of tents and chairs. I was wondering why the one person needed so many tents and had such a big base, but then it hit me. The planet was covered with monsters, and he didn't look like he had too many defenses. I figured that everyone that he went to the planet with died at some point between his arrival and my arrival. To top it off, as I was exploring further, I found a lone tombstone beneath a grove of trees, which I thought to be the place where he had buried one or more of his friends. Even worse, sad piano music was playing this entire time, and now I want to cry.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
finally a game that makes u want 2 cry

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I also cry when i play starbound ......

out of boredom!!! haha!!!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

That's some :tvtropes: levels of interpreting innocuous things as being dark and edgy.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

LordZoric posted:

While I was looking for the Sector X thing, I found this classic:

Reading that quote, I remembered that its Chucklefish, and when I think of Chucklefish, I remember Risk of Rain exists, and I play the gently caress out of it. Fun game.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Observe Me posted:

Reading that quote, I remembered that its Chucklefish, and when I think of Chucklefish, I remember Risk of Rain exists, and I play the gently caress out of it. Fun game.

Published by is not a problem since I doubt they've actually got anything to do with the actual game.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Along those lines I must say I'm unreasonably hyped for Stardew Valley.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Ahundredbux posted:

Published by is not a problem since I doubt they've actually got anything to do with the actual game.

I got my money worth out of Starbound, had a blast with my children and setup a server that friends and family played on.

I'll definitely buy Wayward Tide when it's available and give Chucklefish another try, Starbound wasn't perfect but I wasn't expecting a AAA-title for 15 bucks.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Stardew Valley looks super great. I hope we can get some servers going when Ape gets multiplayer together for jolly cooperative animal husbandry.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Bitter Beard posted:

I got my money worth out of Starbound, had a blast with my children and setup a server that friends and family played on.

I'll definitely buy Wayward Tide when it's available and give Chucklefish another try, Starbound wasn't perfect but I wasn't expecting a AAA-title for 15 bucks.

I wasn't expecting a AAA-title either, but I was expecting a finished game at some point.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Bitter Beard posted:

Starbound wasn't perfect but I wasn't expecting a AAA-title for 15 bucks.

Sure, and I don't really hate Starbound but I think what gets me is that it has so much untapped potential that the devs seem to be ignoring. It's not even a complaint that the game is taking forever, it's that the fundamental design philosophy of the game seems tailor-made to make it as unfun as possible. The removal of sandsurfing and adding a delay on smelting ore are just two examples of this.

Cicadas! posted:

Stardew Valley looks super great. I hope we can get some servers going when Ape gets multiplayer together for jolly cooperative animal husbandry vicious trolling.

I'd totally be down for a goonfarm.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So I picked up Starbound today, and started playing the unstable version. On my starting planet, there was a mining base along with a bunch of stone ruins. At the mining base, there was only one guy, but there were a ton of tents and chairs. I was wondering why the one person needed so many tents and had such a big base, but then it hit me. The planet was covered with monsters, and he didn't look like he had too many defenses. I figured that everyone that he went to the planet with died at some point between his arrival and my arrival. To top it off, as I was exploring further, I found a lone tombstone beneath a grove of trees, which I thought to be the place where he had buried one or more of his friends. Even worse, sad piano music was playing this entire time, and the man wearing a fedora turned to me.

"Welcome to our studio."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

LordZoric posted:

Sure, and I don't really hate Starbound but I think what gets me is that it has so much untapped potential that the devs seem to be ignoring.
Starbound is a pretty mediocre and largely forgettable game but what makes it a national tragedy is what it could have been. :salute:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bitter Beard posted:

I've got a cup and ball toy I'll sell you for only 10 bux, only 5 bux for extra licenses for your friends and family

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

I've got a cup and ball toy I'll sell you for only 10 bux, only 5 bux for extra licenses for your friends and family

Wheres your SA mart listing?! I MUST SEE PICTAURS.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Babe Magnet posted:

Man, Starbound was cool

That's the funniest thing to me. I played the poo poo out of Starbound when it kicked off it's early access and at the time I felt like it was great, just needed to add in the story content and they were basically done. Here we are, 2 going on 3 years later and the game just keeps getting worse and worse.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Starbound: The Magic Circle 2 is looking good

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Failboattootoot posted:

That's the funniest thing to me. I played the poo poo out of Starbound when it kicked off it's early access and at the time I felt like it was great, just needed to add in the story content and they were basically done. Here we are, 2 going on 3 years later and the game just keeps getting worse and worse.

That's the part that baffles me too. The framework seemed like it was all there. The modding community was on board. It was a little buggy, but no more so than anything else in the same wheelhouse. All it needed was content, and then tuning.

Instead, every time I read about a new patch, they've completely reworked core game mechanics and broken something new in the process.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still don't get why anyone would want to move their business -into- london (when said business doesn't involve selling things to londoners at obscene prices).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

I still don't get why anyone would want to move their business -into- london (when said business doesn't involve selling things to londoners at obscene prices).

"Your developers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

These are the same people who adopted an office puppy and then rehomed the mutt when nobody would take care of it/walk it and it was pissing everywhere.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Failboattootoot posted:

The only reason I still pay attention to Starbutt is because I like to make games. Starclowned should have its own chapter in books about making games that is called "Don't Do This. Ever. Seriously. loving Don't." I'm a mix of impressed and disappointed that they've managed to consistently make the game steadily worse.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

A bunch of 20 something nerds suddenly had a lot of money and wanted to live in a "cool" urban setting where everybody talks like Doctor Who and the other half dozen sophisticated British detectives on the lovely network television shows.

Actually, forgive me. It wasn't "a bunch of," it was probably like two or three of them that came up with the idea and then told everyone else "move to another country or you're fired."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
IIRC 2-3 of them already lived in the area, including Tiy. He wanted the rest to uproot and join him.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

These are the same people who adopted an office puppy and then rehomed the mutt when nobody would take care of it/walk it and it was pissing everywhere.

Is this actually true? That's really infuriating.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Mokinokaro posted:

IIRC 2-3 of them already lived in the area, including Tiy. He wanted the rest to uproot and join him.

Only Tiy did, he lived right in the middle of London. The rest of the team at the time mostly lived in the US. Armagon lived in Australia and Bart's from the Netherlands. Bart had a family so he wasn't going to uproot them, and although I'm British and could move there freely, I'd just spent 2 years immigrating to the US so I wasn't in any hurry to leave. In any case I can't stand Britain and I hate London even more so I wouldn't have gone either way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I actually think Starbound is definitely better now than when it released. A lot of rose-tinted goggles looking back at it because it was super meager and shallow and a lot of things didn't work or just weren't in, and combat now may be stilted but it's sure better than it was.
That said they've had so long and they haven't improved very much. And worse still, it seems like they're ignoring all the important features/aspects and instead focusing solely on poo poo no one cares about.

Hey, we know you guys like to explore and build. We have all these art assets and building materials, too! Literally all you need is an easier way to learn and craft these recipes.
So here's a bunch more fetch quests instead!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

focusing solely on poo poo no one cares about.

Hey, we know you guys like to explore and build. We have all these art assets and building materials, too! Literally all you need is an easier way to learn and craft these recipes.
So here's a bunch more fetch quests instead!

It's pretty amusing because this isn't the first time this has happened; Fallout Online was a really cool and promising MMO that died fast because the modders would listen to players that already had the best stuff available and just wanted to make things harder to get, make, use, and keep so that they could feel like e-kings. Eventually it took like, hours to build a rusty gun.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a common phenomenon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mokinokaro posted:

"Your developers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

"What you consider updates... I call the rape of my valuable time."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yyyyyeah early starbound wasn't magically good only to be ruined over time. i don't really know where people are getting that. it started out as some shallow as hell generic thing and over time a lot of things have changed, a fair amount of it questionable at best. starbound is currently a Thing and maybe one day it might be a Better Thing.

also if that dog thing is true it's making me mad because i don't know why those dumbshits would get a pet if they weren't prepared to care for it. i don't even care about the game decisions, that's straight up 'we have no idea what the gently caress we're doing' right there. especially when lumped with uprooting the whole studio to london which involved cutting people who knew well enough not to do something so stupid.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if they, as a whole, can not take care of a single puppy, what makes them think they can make a good video game?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

yyyyyeah early starbound wasn't magically good only to be ruined over time. i don't really know where people are getting that. it started out as some shallow as hell generic thing and over time a lot of things have changed, a fair amount of it questionable at best. starbound is currently a Thing and maybe one day it might be a Better Thing.

also if that dog thing is true it's making me mad because i don't know why those dumbshits would get a pet if they weren't prepared to care for it. i don't even care about the game decisions, that's straight up 'we have no idea what the gently caress we're doing' right there. especially when lumped with uprooting the whole studio to london which involved cutting people who knew well enough not to do something so stupid.

Agreed. Can someone confirm the puppy story? If that's true whoa, what a bunch of manchildren. I can understand taking the dog out of the office (because it was an insanely stupid idea to begin with), but if none of the people kept it and just gave it away, that's hosed up.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I'm pretty sure Molly took it home?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Reiley posted:

Is this actually true? That's really infuriating.

Johnny Joestar posted:

BillmasterCozb posted:

if they, as a whole, can not take care of a single puppy, what makes them think they can make a good video game?

nerdz posted:

Agreed. Can someone confirm the puppy story? If that's true whoa, what a bunch of manchildren. I can understand taking the dog out of the office (because it was an insanely stupid idea to begin with), but if none of the people kept it and just gave it away, that's hosed up.
https://twitter.com/rosie_the_puppy

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I know they had a puppy, I just wanted to know if one of the employees took it or if they put it up for adoption.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I never saw anything to support the whole idea, but I did see a whole lot of people making poo poo up about the dog in order to smear Chucklefish. Like I've seen arguments that the dog was dead because it chewed through their poorly-maintained office cables and died, and even that it was dead in one of the photos they posted of it.

It seems misguided because there's plenty of reasons to dislike Chucklefish without having to go "oh yeah they killed a cute little puppy too".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
the killed puppy was named "hope

of their game ever being good"

• Locked thread