Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I am so excited to see pictures of this boat, please take and post some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If this doesnt work out I might look into one of those lending tree type situations and see what is available. I refuse to deal with the bank and their %10 personal loan bullshit.

An unsecured personal loan will definitely be over 10% at lending tree if you're talking about a loan for over 15k. Because it's incredibly risky to give that loan out.

But what do you care? You're about to be DROWNING IN SAVINGS!

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

slap me silly posted:

That's because it's hard to see under water!

Haha

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It will probably also need the roof to be re-waterproofed or whatever the hell one does to a houseboat roof.

Can you just put a tarp over it or something? Maybe leave the winter bubblewrap stuff on it all year round to keep the rain out

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

How do they repo houseboats that aren't at dock?

Are there pirate repo men? If so, why haven't I seen a reality show on A&E or the History channel about them?

This might be the happiest day in both his life and yours for opposite reasons.

There are, but they have to go through admiralty court before they can repossess.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It will probably also need the roof to be re-waterproofed or whatever the hell one does to a houseboat roof. So it's mostly cosmetic/comfort issues which I can deal with.

A leaky roof is not a cosmetic/comfort issue.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hoping he is desperate to sell and will be willing to work out a deal, which from my limited conversations it seems like he would.

Why is he desperate to sell? Why does the interior need to get reworked? Full of mold?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CellarDweller posted:

Why is he desperate to sell? Why does the interior need to get reworked? Full of mold?

Does it really matter? He boondoggled that landlord and he's not about to get hornswaggled into a new rent agreement. This is his big chance.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You know, a roll of heavy duty shrinkwrap and a can of great stuff expanding foam should sort you right out. Float on down to your local hardware store for savings :pirate:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It will probably also need the roof to be re-waterproofed or whatever the hell one does to a houseboat roof.

Please learn what this is before you buy the boat though.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

detectivemonkey posted:

He's already figured out how to have high speed internet on the boat, he can just google it later once he owns the boat.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

detectivemonkey posted:

Spoilsport

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

detectivemonkey posted:

I'm pretty sure an umbrella will work to waterproof the boat. You can buy those at walmart too which makes it way easier.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
OP what kind of beer should I bring for the boatwarming party? Can't wait!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are you buying a boat on the same lake you're going to be living on? sharing a watery grave

If it's a different lake, what kind of transport costs are you looking at? Little boats aren't too tough to transport, but I didn't know if houseboats were more difficult and whether transport costs alone would eat up all your savings for multiple months.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you buying a boat on the same lake you're going to be living on? sharing a watery grave

If it's a different lake, what kind of transport costs are you looking at? Little boats aren't too tough to transport, but I didn't know if houseboats were more difficult and whether transport costs alone would eat up all your savings for multiple months.

From page 2:

quote:

I plan on keeping it on the Mississippi river not a lake. In the summer you can go up and down river and tie off at islands and relax and have fun. In the winter you just let the ship break its moorings and ice in wherever god intended. (Not really I plan on docking at a marina).

Gonna have to have a good anchor in case the engine goes out while moving along the river, but it seems like a solid plan.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

YarPirate posted:

From page 2:

Gonna have to have a good anchor in case the engine goes out while moving along the river, but it seems like a solid plan.

The Mississippi! In that case...

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

YarPirate posted:

OP what kind of beer should I bring for the boatwarming party? Can't wait!

It's going to have to literally be a boatwarming party, as he's purchasing and moving into a house boat in the middle of winter in Minnesota.

OP, what do people you know in real life think about this idea?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
As a fellow Twin Cities resident, I feel the need to make clear to people in this thread that while this is far from the worst winter I've experienced (it actually got started weirdly late), it is still goddamn cold out. He is going to be freezing his rear end off in a houseboat and unable to rent anywhere because of the shenanigans he pulled, but it's all going to get better when he gets convicted of insurance fraud.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

The Lord of Hats posted:

it's all going to get better when he gets convicted of insurance fraud.
Then he'll have a nice warm bed in a white-collar minimum-security resort. poo poo, we should be so lucky.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

As a fellow Twin Cities resident, I feel the need to make clear to people in this thread that while this is far from the worst winter I've experienced (it actually got started weirdly late), it is still goddamn cold out. He is going to be freezing his rear end off in a houseboat and unable to rent anywhere because of the shenanigans he pulled, but it's all going to get better when he gets convicted of insurance fraud.

His accountant said it was an okay thing to do so I am sure he will be completely fine.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CellarDweller posted:

It's not clear, since the " "mechanicals" " seem to be in ship shape.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Maybe it is as simple as it is really cold there and he realizes owning a boat in a place where it gets so cold in the winter is really stupid?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Saint Fu posted:

Then he'll have a nice warm bed in a white-collar minimum-security resort. poo poo, we should be so lucky.

Hey, three hots and a pot seem like a brighter future than sharing a cardboard box under a bridge with a rough trick named Jim.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Holy loving poo poo OP you are about to make the biggest mistake of your life. DO NOT BUY A BOAT.

Also the boat won't be repo able since he won't be able to get a securized loan for it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

FrozenVent posted:

Holy loving poo poo OP you are about to make the biggest mistake of your life.

Hmm, maybe. But how can we be sure before we see pictures? Maybe it's a diamond in the rough, just needing some hard work and tough love to make a lovely home.

You know, I think they could make a pretty great reality TV show about this kind of thing. OP, there are a lot of tiny house blogs who would love to host guest-posts from someone like you. It's a growing movement of people who eat these kinds of stories right up. Some people even support themselves fully with ads and affiliate links, and its only going to get more popular!

Be sure to take lots of "before" pictures of the boat, this is going to be a key part of your mythology.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Be sure to take lots of "before" pictures of the boat, this is going to be a key part of your mythology autopsy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"We can't tell what killed him first, the burns or the drowning."

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Krispy Kareem posted:

"We can't tell what killed him first, the burns or the drowning."

His girlfriend ex-girlfriend.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well all you Debbie Downers ought to be pleased as punch. No boat for me this weekend. I went and took a look at it and it was pretty solid, better than I thought actually. Just dirty and filled with crap on the inside. The inside cabin definitely needs work to make it look nice but is livable as is. Unfortunately the guy is desperate for money and wasnt willing to work out a payment plan even with 1/4 down. So now I have to really scramble to find something or end back up in another overpriced apartment.

I'm going to make some posts on some boat forums and put up some flyers and see if maybe someone would rent out there boat to me through the year, that would still save me some money and give me some good boat experience.

All in all I feel as if my floating titanic of fiscal responsibility and fun just got sunk by the iceberg of reality and poo poo bankers.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

All in all I feel as if my floating titanic of fiscal responsibility and fun just got sunk by the iceberg of reality and poo poo bankers.

The metaphors write themselves don't they

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It is the bankers who are poo poo.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well all you Debbie Downers ought to be pleased as punch. No boat for me this weekend. I went and took a look at it and it was pretty solid, better than I thought actually. Just dirty and filled with crap on the inside. The inside cabin definitely needs work to make it look nice but is livable as is. Unfortunately the guy is desperate for money and wasnt willing to work out a payment plan even with 1/4 down. So now I have to really scramble to find something or end back up in another overpriced apartment.

I'm going to make some posts on some boat forums and put up some flyers and see if maybe someone would rent out there boat to me through the year, that would still save me some money and give me some good boat experience.

But renting isn't going to build the boat equity you wanted and you can't resell a rented boat.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SarutosZero posted:

But renting isn't going to build the boat equity you wanted and you can't resell a rented boat.

Agreed but I dont know what else to do. I dont want to take out that crazy %10 personal loan either.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Agreed but I dont know what else to do. I dont want to take out that crazy %10 personal loan either.

Have you done the math? What's the break even point?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The OP putting the percentile sign before the number is so loving annoying.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Surely the sensible answer is to get a bunch of credit cards?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

spog posted:

It could be based off savings, job security, and general security like with his girlfriend or parents.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I went and took a look at it and it was pretty solid, better than I thought actually.

You don't seem to know that much about boat maintenance, so what are you looking for to make this determination?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

detectivemonkey posted:

You don't seem to know that much about boat maintenance, so what are you looking for to make this determination?

He asked a few guys that were hanging around the marina

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

spog posted:

I'm not nearly as bad with money as you all wish/think I am.

detectivemonkey posted:

Standard kicking the hull, walking around looking. Checking for signs of mold and mildew, poor internal cabin framing, crap like that. I dont actually know anything about boat motors but it started up and puttered around.

SarutosZero posted:

He asked a few guys that were hanging around the marina

I did ask a couple or river people yes. I also checked out a book from the library on boat maintenance a few months back when I was reading up on all of the different hull types and what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The next time Im in the twin cities I hope to see your houseboat floating along while you live your boat dreams

• Locked thread