Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kalstrams posted:

Same, my connection did cap out during the download. You can try to switch download mode from continuous download to regular download mode - that will bypass the 3rd party download the launcher uses by default, so it may eliminate the issue if it's some hiccup for that software with your computer or your network.

Any reference on how to do this? I searched, but all I found was changing the line in launcher.settings from BR to SSN. I did that and it started over and it's still downloading at 100-500kb/s. I'm fine with it starting over if it would use my bandwidth, since that would complete in 5 minutes or less instead of what looks like will take 20+ hours or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Locator posted:

Also, looks like a huge number of side-quests that I vaguely remember were eliminated, presumably because of the XP boost?

You have to manually enable those quests from your map. They are called Exploration missions now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Locator posted:

Any reference on how to do this? I searched, but all I found was changing the line in launcher.settings from BR to SSN. I did that and it started over and it's still downloading at 100-500kb/s. I'm fine with it starting over if it would use my bandwidth, since that would complete in 5 minutes or less instead of what looks like will take 20+ hours or more.
That change you describe involves two lines in launcher.settings file:
code:
, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"
to
, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
and
, "bitraider_disable": false
to
, "bitraider_disable": true
and delete folders BitRaider, Movie, and Asset.

If that is what you have already done, then I'm afraid that I have no more suggestions beyond trivial poo poo like "check your <xyz> network thing" and "contact your ISP with traceroute".

In fact, the BR to SSN change may not even be relevant at all, and it may all be just setting disable to true, but I have no developer confirmation on this one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You have to manually enable those quests from your map. They are called Exploration missions now.

Thanks!

Also, finally got the patcher working decent. I found a post that had some other steps to disable the bit-torrent thing, including deleting the bit-torrent directory and changing a couple other lines in the launcher.settings file. Instead of downloading at 100-500kb/s, I'm now at 6.5MB/s. Much better, and should finish much sooner than letting it try to finish at the incredibly slow speed it was on, even with it being over 40% complete.

kalstrams posted:

That change you describe involves two lines in launcher.settings file:
code:
, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"
to
, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
and
, "bitraider_disable": false
to
, "bitraider_disable": true
and delete folders BitRaider, Movie, and Asset.

If that is what you have already done, then I'm afraid that I have no more suggestions beyond trivial poo poo like "check your <xyz> network thing" and "contact your ISP with traceroute".

In fact, the BR to SSN change may not even be relevant at all, and it may all be just setting disable to true, but I have no developer confirmation on this one.

Thanks also, I didn't find anything that referred to the Movie and Asset folders, so I only deleted the bitraider folder, but it's now over 7MB/s, so seems to have worked without deleting those other two. Appreciate the help!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Locator posted:

Thanks also, I didn't find anything that referred to the Movie and Asset folders, so I only deleted the bitraider folder, but it's now over 7MB/s, so seems to have worked without deleting those other two. Appreciate the help!
Eh, I don't know either why Movie and Asset folders would be relevant here at all, but every place I've seen the instructions in does mention doing so. Good luck and see you in game!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I'm pretty sure that their patcher is just completely crap tonight for some reason. It's slowed down to 1-2MB/s with occasional drops to 500k. I test downloaded a movie which came down at 6MB/s no problem (the cap on the download server) and the speed on the patcher was unaffected while doing so. Ran a speedtest on DSL Reports and got 60-70ms ping to all 5 of their server locations, and 53.7 mb/s download speed.

Oh well. Guess I'll let it run overnight and see what happens.

Edit: 2.13GB left on Main Assets 1, and 'network error'. Eventually continued... at modem speeds - 2-5KB/s. Welp.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 1, 2016

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Rich Uncle Skeleton posted:

Anyone else make a point of getting all the datacrons? I am down to only the Rishi treasure hunt bullshit remaining and...goddamn. Some of what you have to do to get these things is just brutal. The Makeb jumping festival was especially punishing. Thank god the devs made these things legacy-wide. Playing on a PVP server made this little endeavor especially fun. Oh well, at least I can proudly say that I am a Galactic Datacron Master on my resume.

I originally planned on going for all the datacrons, but then I saw how much of a bitch some where from the Let's Plays and so far am just doing them if I'm in the area and it's not too much of a titbuster to do.

ixxit
Oct 15, 2010
Man, why do I like this stupid game?

Question: Besides mods while leveling, are there any practical reasons to be hoarding common data crystals on the way to 65? Not sure if there are any endgame relevant things to buy there.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
After 3 months of trying my best to like this game, I've finally uninstalled and unsubbed. Maybe it was the horrible performance issues I was having due to the game being unoptimized piece of garbage or the MMO bits being very lackluster (looks like FF XIV is my kind of a game on this regard) but I got bored out of my skull.

I mean, the lighsaber sounds and [Force Shock] conversation option carried me only this far. :sigh:

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot
God I hate this game now. Crafting purples requiring four crew skills, purples that don't even have secondary stats anymore. Companions that are completely useless due to their overpoweredness. Still no original Tracer Missile animation.

Game just gets worse and worse. Hurry up and die so someone can make a SWTOR 1.0 private server.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Anyone else make a point of getting all the datacrons? I am down to only the Rishi treasure hunt bullshit remaining and...goddamn. Some of what you have to do to get these things is just brutal. The Makeb jumping festival was especially punishing. Thank god the devs made these things legacy-wide. Playing on a PVP server made this little endeavor especially fun. Oh well, at least I can proudly say that I am a Galactic Datacron Master on my resume.

Sometimes I see someone with the "Datacron Master" title, and it makes me so mad and envious. :rant:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

space jerk posted:

Man, why do I like this stupid game?

Question: Besides mods while leveling, are there any practical reasons to be hoarding common data crystals on the way to 65? Not sure if there are any endgame relevant things to buy there.

Companion gifts.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Anyone else make a point of getting all the datacrons? ... Oh well, at least I can proudly say that I am a Galactic Datacron Master on my resume.

You and me both, goon buddy! :hfive:

:suicide:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dark Juno posted:

God I hate this game now. Crafting purples requiring four crew skills, purples that don't even have secondary stats anymore. Companions that are completely useless due to their overpoweredness. Still no original Tracer Missile animation.

Game just gets worse and worse. Hurry up and die so someone can make a SWTOR 1.0 private server.

As far as crafting goes, they're adding some changes and a new crafting tier shortly. But sounds like you just hate the game, so probably best to uninstall and unsubscribe. "Useless due to overpoweredness"? That makes no sense...

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Medullah posted:

"Useless due to overpoweredness"? That makes no sense...

I was trying to unpack that one too - maybe they're useless because if you bring such an overpowered companion to the fight, then there's nothing left to do so "why even"? Thus, if bringing along a companion breaks things, and crafting is messed up for you too, then companions would be sans use. However,

Medullah posted:

sounds like you just hate the game, so probably best to uninstall and unsubscribe.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I also like playing things for three months that I hate.

Wait.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is your reminder that Chapter 10 of KotFE rolls out in 10 days.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Dalris Othaine posted:

I was trying to unpack that one too - maybe they're useless because if you bring such an overpowered companion to the fight, then there's nothing left to do so "why even"? Thus, if bringing along a companion breaks things, and crafting is messed up for you too, then companions would be sans use. However,

I think what he means is having a companion with you is pointless due to the role system. Might aswell have the player heal periodically without having to hear CHALLENGE ACCEPTED AND MET! :byodame: every 7 seconds. There is no tactical depth to it, even though I accept having an annoying rear end in a top hat as your only healer sucks it kinda added some illusion of choice.

That was my gripe btw, maybe he means something else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe it is that every companion does every role at the same level, within first approximation, making differentiation between them numerically useless?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Maybe it is that every companion does every role at the same level, within first approximation, making differentiation between them numerically useless?

The alternative sucks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Norns posted:

The alternative sucks.
:confused:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So, companion question, or gear question anyway.

I get a companion customization for Vette along with a bag of gear when I leave newbie planet, but there seems to be no way to use it?

I logged onto my old character and her inventory, storage and mailing are completely full of gear from all the companions. Do I do anything with all this crap or is it all just vendor junk?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Playing female Jedi Knight! Going well!

Meeting Doc...

:yikes:

...Yeeeeah wow I'ma hold off until the expansion romances on this one...

Yeah, I'm doing a lady Sentinel, and he is loving RUTHLESS with the flirting. Not touching that one.

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot

Medullah posted:

As far as crafting goes, they're adding some changes and a new crafting tier shortly. But sounds like you just hate the game, so probably best to uninstall and unsubscribe. "Useless due to overpoweredness"? That makes no sense...

I'm F2P. Not paying a single dime for this game until the original Tracer Missile animation is brought back. Companions are useless due to the fact that using them at all breaks the game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dark Juno posted:

I'm F2P. Not paying a single dime for this game until the original Tracer Missile animation is brought back. Companions are useless due to the fact that using them at all breaks the game.

Uninstall the game. They changed the tracer missile animation in BETA and it's not going back.

And there is something wrong with your game if using a companion causes it to crash and become unplayable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I heard that plastic addles with the taste of meat so I flip my burgers with hands.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Dark Juno posted:

Wildstar is a game for you

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dark Juno posted:

Have you tried turning off some of the companion abilities? They have a little action bar and you can say "don't use this one" for each of their special abilities.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Dark Juno posted:

Not paying a single dime for this game until the original Tracer Missile animation is brought back.

:psyduck:

Are we being trolled?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, he has a point in that the companions are so overpowered leveling poses no challenge and teaches a new player nothing at all about how they should be playing the game, especially in a group setting.

However as far as i know that's an issue even WoW never managed to solve so...

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

You can do the Rishi one really easily in 10 minutes or so by doing this for the record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz_-ZCE0c8E

I got datacron master recently, the most painful thing is the waiting involved in some of them. (that loving tatooine balloon which also bugs out and despawns half the time :negative:)

e; oh yeah, and doing the three or so that require a group. At least you can do the fleet one solo with some relogging.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 1, 2016

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Random Thoughts:
I subbed yesterday and I'm enjoying it. I've jumped around from Consular to Knight to Smuggler, but still on Prologue or CH. 1 for all of them. Knight is interesting because there's so many "I just want to kill things gently caress politics" options that aren't dark side. Smuggler I'm enjoying the story and being a snarky bastard, but I'm having the ME3/FO4 problem of sometimes the thing I want to say doesn't directly translate to what is being said, and often the option is more clever than what the character actually says, which sucks. I'm trying to play him as the "thief, not murderer" role and it can be very inconsistent this way. Consular I'm trying to like but the mission of "go make house calls around the galaxy" doesn't sound very fun.

Animation/power-wise my TK Sage feels the most powerful and chaining the animations together make me feel like a boss.

This game has so much ability bloat. They really could be trimmed down significantly.

I apparently can sign up for any Flashpoint at level 15, but I get murdered in all of them when it pairs me with people way ahead in their levels. I don't get why I can join a level 50 group with only 2 little talents unlocked in my tree and white/green equipment.

I'm sad mounts don't unlock account-wide. Got some cool speeder on my smuggler and the other characters are stuck with something between a segway and professor x's flying chair from 90's X-Men.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 1, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Firstborn posted:

sometimes the thing I want to say doesn't directly translate to what is being said, and often the option is more clever than what the character actually says, which sucks. I'm trying to play him as the "thief, not murderer" role and it can be very inconsistent this way.

You can ESC out of a conversation and start over if there's a result you really don't like. But on the whole, dialogue lines are so inconsequential that it's not really a problem beyond personal satisfaction.

e:
vvvvvvvvv

Guilty as charged.

:negative:

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 1, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jan posted:

You can ESC out of a conversation and start over if there's a result you really don't like. But on the whole, dialogue lines are so inconsequential that it's not really a problem beyond personal satisfaction.

Personal satisfaction will have me exploring every branch of a dialogue tree sometimes. :D

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Another thing about the Smuggler story that I thought was weird was getting dark side points for not stopping other characters from accomplishing whatever. An early example with Corso:
Corso wants to kill this dude. I say, "wait, this doesn't feel right." Corso insists he has to kill the guy to avenge his family. My Smuggler just says, "fine I'm tired of arguing, do whatever you want" and I get evil points. That's lame.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Firstborn posted:

Another thing about the Smuggler story that I thought was weird was getting dark side points for not stopping other characters from accomplishing whatever. An early example with Corso:
Corso wants to kill this dude. I say, "wait, this doesn't feel right." Corso insists he has to kill the guy to avenge his family. My Smuggler just says, "fine I'm tired of arguing, do whatever you want" and I get evil points. That's lame.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Han shot first, though.
(I get you, it's just a little niggling point that seems to carry over into the Trooper and BH stories a lot where you are fixing other people's mess and taking their karmic decisions.)

I am also weird because I love joining flashpoints and hoping my characters gets to talk and be the star and everyone has to stare at the face I lovingly made. I also like joining groups as my smuggler because it'll inevitably be all jedi and I get to be the dude in the back hiding in cover shooting a blaster. I picked scrapper, but I would've liked if gunslinger didn't dual wield. Oh well.

\/\/\/\/ That's fair. It's not a huge concern or anything, it just bugged me at first blush because I envision my guy hanging around bad people out of necessity but not necessarily being the heavy himself. It was kind of nice for a change that someone wanted to execute the badguy. I even told him not to, but when he insisted I caved.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 1, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This is a bioware RPG. You have to flat out assume that you are directly responsible for the actions of everyone within arms reach.

edit: also anything that isn't the absolute paragon of virtue is mustache twirling evil. If you want to be evil anything shy of raping nuns to death gets construed as being a good person. Bioware isn't exactly known for moral subtleties.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Firstborn posted:

This game has so much ability bloat. They really could be trimmed down significantly.

I apparently can sign up for any Flashpoint at level 15, but I get murdered in all of them when it pairs me with people way ahead in their levels. I don't get why I can join a level 50 group with only 2 little talents unlocked in my tree and white/green equipment.

I'm sad mounts don't unlock account-wide. Got some cool speeder on my smuggler and the other characters are stuck with something between a segway and professor x's flying chair from 90's X-Men.

a) I'm looking at my Assassin tank and the amount of moves I need for basic, day to day story playing is 5-7, for PvP or raiding it's 6-10. That's pretty normal. More than half the moves you get in any class you won't use in one spec or another, or you don't have to worry about if you're playing the game as a single player RPG or even light MMO like SM Raiding.

b) This is a good thing in that the queues for tactical flashpoints are super quick, but definitely rough at lower levels. You get bolstered to 65 stat wise but without the moves, no, I would just do story til 30 or so.

c) If you get a cartel mount you can unlock it across your account for 60-400 cartel coins, depending on how nice the mount is. Same with weapons and armor sets and toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

b) This is a good thing in that the queues for tactical flashpoints are super quick, but definitely rough at lower levels. You get bolstered to 65 stat wise but without the moves, no, I would just do story til 30 or so.

This makes me feel a little better about my failed level-20 attempt at sage healing.

• Locked thread