Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Shine posted:

Start from here and upgrade the things that usually make sense to upgrade. Last I used my Vulture, it looked like this.

Thanks for the two builds, especially the newbie one. I meant to say I have ~4.5 million in cash and ~2 mil into the ship. I'm thinking I have enough for the newbie vulture. I'll have to head to Li Yong Land tomorrow. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
On Vultures:
Lately I've been doing a http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4D3D5A4B3C1e1e0k04--B22b272524.AwRj4zyA.Aw1+gLEA but I've been thinking of doing a http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5A4D3D5A4D3C0v1u0k---B22b272524.AwRj4zyA.Aw1+gLEA Is shooting things the best way to get major factions to promote you?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
No body is running boosters anymore? I missed some changes obvs.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Turning in bounties does make the faction in charge of the system like you more, if you are shooting wanted targets of course. This does translate to having the Empire/Federation/Alliance like you more, if they are controlled by one of the major 3 factions. Of course, the minor faction will like you doing it. If a system is anarchy, it's almost pointless to bounty hunt there. It's just a waste of time. There are exceptions, but it'll be a better use of your time to go to a system that actually has law.

You can get your way up to allied with the 'big 3' or a minor faction in a system by turning in bounties in that system. But your rank will never be touched. You need to do missions for the Federation/Empire to get up in rank.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 1, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SquirrelGrip posted:

No body is running boosters anymore? I missed some changes obvs.

Shield Cell Banks (which I assume you meant—boosters are still fine) took a big hit last patch, IMO for the better of the game.

SCB's now generate a ton of heat, so you basically have to bring heatsinks to use them or you'll fry. They also got rid of the "retract weapons, activate 4 SCBs, redeploy weapons" health potion stuff; SCB's now require about 30 seconds to boot up before you can use them, so to use them in the heat of battle you have to keep constant power to them.

Meanwhile, shields going down is no longer the death sentence it used to be. They sped up shield recharge rate, adding optional bi-weave shields with less capacity but way faster recharge, and hull reinforcements got buffed to add more hit points (armor) and better module protection. Plus, laser damage to unshielded hull got nerfed.

As a result, no more Fer-de-Lance with effectively 4000 shields from popping SCBs, and ships with poor shields but great armor (like the Federal Assault Ship) are now much stronger than before, as are shieldless stealth builds.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Just finishing up my first exploration tour of the galaxy, went south and stopped in the Oochoss region, where stars started to lay more than 35ly from each other. Frustrating because I couldn't plan a route and there was a tempting cluster of F & G stars out of reach.
I ended up visiting maybe 100 systems and fully surveying maybe 50 of them, lots of terraformables and waterworlds, two Ammonias and one Earthlike.
Is that quite reasonable for a small mapping run?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sad King Billy posted:

I ended up visiting maybe 100 systems and fully surveying maybe 50 of them, lots of terraformables and waterworlds, two Ammonias and one Earthlike.
Is that quite reasonable for a small mapping run?
There's not really any metric for exploration except how much you enjoy it. You won't be making megabucks unless you spend months out in the deep scanning black holes and the like, but getting your name on Earthlike and ammonia worlds is always cool. Don't forget to write down the ones you might want to brag about later!

Well, except for exploration rank, but I can tell you that it'll be a loooooong time before you hit Elite for that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

There's not really any metric for exploration except how much you enjoy it. You won't be making megabucks unless you spend months out in the deep scanning black holes and the like, but getting your name on Earthlike and ammonia worlds is always cool. Don't forget to write down the ones you might want to brag about later!

Well, except for exploration rank, but I can tell you that it'll be a loooooong time before you hit Elite for that.

I'm at 10% Pioneer right now and yeah, I'll probably hit Elite only after I come back from the mega-journey I'm planning to do after the next wave of ships + crafting is in. (So I can take an even better ship then what I'm planning to do and/or so I have ample time to collect jump juice and whatever I need to do to craft a better jump drive.)

Especially that last stretch between penultimate rank and Elite rank is titanic.

Welp, in exploration it makes kind of sense, the galaxy is huge enough just travelling through it and back will probably be enough to jump you up to Elite. If you could get to Elite faster it would be kind of silly.

Hell, if Frontier ever remembers to give us a little more pity money for our space madness, I'd be OK with them tuning the ranks so the amount of time invested stays roughly the same.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 1, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

I'm at 10% Pioneer right now and yeah, I'll probably hit Elite only after I come back from the mega-journey I'm planning to do after the next wave of ships + crafting is in. (So I can take an even better ship then what I'm planning to do and/or so I have ample time to collect jump juice and whatever I need to do to craft a better jump drive.)

Especially that last stretch between penultimate rank and Elite rank is titanic.
I'm at Pioneer/29%. I did the math a while back, and I think I would need to spend as much time exploring from now on as I did over the past year basically living out in deep space for six months to finally hit Elite.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So just started playing really for the first time in earnest (much thanks to those who gave tips on optimizing my 360 controller layout, it seems to work perfectly so far on the couch). Reading up on the wiki for my next ship after the Sidewinder... if I'm thinking about trading for the moment (playing Space Euro Truck Simulator 2 basically), is there really any reason to get a Hauler when the Adder just looks dramatically better for not much more cash? I mean the cargo hold difference alone is massive, and the Adder seems to have a lot more flexibility to it than the Hauler does.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
The Adder was a great multi-role ship for me early on - I look back on those pre-Cobra days fondly. Also, it has a cupholder and no I'm not joking.

Seriously though, the Adder is a solid choice to move to once you're ready to leave the Sidewinder.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I know aliens are old news now, but I took a bunch of pretty pictures, and by God, you will look at them:

Unrelated: Spaph is terrible at parking:

That's the Artefact blurring my camera:

Not related, big bada boom:

Touching down on Merope 5c, after struggling with navigating via coordinates:

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

That looks like a giant cartoon eyeball watching over you.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Drone posted:

So just started playing really for the first time in earnest (much thanks to those who gave tips on optimizing my 360 controller layout, it seems to work perfectly so far on the couch). Reading up on the wiki for my next ship after the Sidewinder... if I'm thinking about trading for the moment (playing Space Euro Truck Simulator 2 basically), is there really any reason to get a Hauler when the Adder just looks dramatically better for not much more cash? I mean the cargo hold difference alone is massive, and the Adder seems to have a lot more flexibility to it than the Hauler does.

My advice would be to get to a cobra quick as you can, and start rares trading immediately. You don't need much to start.

http://needsmorepolish.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/fingerbobs-guide-to-elite-dangerous.html

See you when you're bulk trading in a type 9.

E: Also yes, don't get a hauler.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

My advice would be to get to a cobra quick as you can, and start rares trading immediately. You don't need much to start.

http://needsmorepolish.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/fingerbobs-guide-to-elite-dangerous.html

See you when you're bulk trading in a type 9.

E: Also yes, don't get a hauler.

Haulers are good for taxiing yourself around the bubble, eg. for gathering ships that may be in different ports. They excel at that and as babby's first explorer, but otherwise, they're pretty useless.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mr_jolly posted:

That looks like a giant cartoon eyeball watching over you.

I think someone posted a similar image a while back and I said the same thing. Which thinking back on it, is pretty weird since Im almost certain it was pre barnacle.

are violet dwarfs with rings like that common?

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 2, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think someone posted a similar image a while back and I said the same thing. Which thinking back on it, is pretty weird since Im almost certain it was pre barnacle.

are violet dwarfs with rings like that common?

Extremely common.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I have recently learned that in order to get rank with the people who sell Federal Assault Ships, I need to run missions.

Do I need to know how an FSD interdictor/scanner works in order to do missions?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

I have recently learned that in order to get rank with the people who sell Federal Assault Ships, I need to run missions.

Do I need to know how an FSD interdictor/scanner works in order to do missions?

Nope, but you need to learn how to board scum donation missions!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

RVProfootballer posted:

Nope, but you need to learn how to board scum donation missions!

This. Donation missions are by far the best way to up your rank. I've been long-distance smuggling out of 17 Draconis, and the level of donation spam (if you can make it out there) is INSANE. I actually had to set smuggling aside for a bit to work on my rank, because I kept maxing out and getting to my next promotion mission before I could get a full hold of smuggling missions, and then getting scanned in the promotion mission signal source.

I really just need to quit smuggling, I'm loving terrible at it. I tell myself I'll quit once I have an FAS, but the money is too good. They just keep dragging me back in...

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 2, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
edit: Where the gently caress do you buy an A5 FSD?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 2, 2016

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Any good places for Empire rep like Fed?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

DreadLlama posted:

Closest system to 63G is LPM 746, Merbold Port. Closest Li Yong system is Oduduro, Dalton Gateway or McDivitt Dock.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Just touched down at 64 Ceti and earned a bit more than expected, roughly 6 million, so now I can get a basic Vulture or kitted out Viper 4.

Annoying thing is. I discovered another Earthlike on my way back and forgot to record it and wrote down the name of the other one incorrectly, so I can't tell if I was first

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Shine posted:

Shield Cell Banks (which I assume you meant—boosters are still fine) took a big hit last patch, IMO for the better of the game.

SCB's now generate a ton of heat, so you basically have to bring heatsinks to use them or you'll fry. They also got rid of the "retract weapons, activate 4 SCBs, redeploy weapons" health potion stuff; SCB's now require about 30 seconds to boot up before you can use them, so to use them in the heat of battle you have to keep constant power to them.

Meanwhile, shields going down is no longer the death sentence it used to be. They sped up shield recharge rate, adding optional bi-weave shields with less capacity but way faster recharge, and hull reinforcements got buffed to add more hit points (armor) and better module protection. Plus, laser damage to unshielded hull got nerfed.

As a result, no more Fer-de-Lance with effectively 4000 shields from popping SCBs, and ships with poor shields but great armor (like the Federal Assault Ship) are now much stronger than before, as are shieldless stealth builds.

Thankyou for this but I meant the other one. I dropped the scb I has to free up power and ended up with chaff, a kws and 2 x b shield banks

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

https://eddb.io/

This site has a fantastic station search feature. I use it every time I'm refitting, to find the nearest Li Yong-Rui station with all the poo poo I want

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Last night I made a trip to Li Yong land for the Vulture and holy poo poo that ship is fun to play, much better than my old Viper Mk IV; making staying on some maneuverable ship's six much easier and I should have the thing c specced in no time.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

Last night I made a trip to Li Yong land for the Vulture and holy poo poo that ship is fun to play, much better than my old Viper Mk IV; making staying on some maneuverable ship's six much easier and I should have the thing c specced in no time.

What weapons do you have on it? Do the size of the hardpoints make up for there only being two hardpoints available?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

All this vulture chat is making me think I should get back in mine for a bit before I buy an FAS, just to get a handle on what it feels like when fully A fit.

I had just upgraded to one when I decided to be a smuggler, it's a really loving fun ship.

Edit: I don't get why no one is running SCBs, though. I was using this before, and didn't really have any problems. The SCB does generate a truly insane amount of heat, but the power plant (which needs to be one of your first A upgrades anyway, this thing runs tight) dissipates it quickly. If I need to pop an SCB I'm already trying to juke heavy fire; I can't recall any instance where the heat wasn't gone by the time I was ready to turn and dive back in.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 2, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

BRB pooping posted:

What weapons do you have on it? Do the size of the hardpoints make up for there only being two hardpoints available?

Most people run c3 pulses because of power constraints. And size definitely makes up for number of hardpoints, especially for bounty hunting. Medium and small weapons take a damage penalty against larger ships (33% and 66%, I think) that the c3 guns don't. The big pulses are also MUCH better at popping power plants than my old c2 multicannons, but I don't know if that's due to type or size

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MoraleHazard posted:

I am missing my Vulture. I took my tentatively PvE specced Cutter to a HazRES site for the first time last night. 3 c3 gimballed pulse, 4 c2 gimballed multiCannons, it was absolutely devastating to everything in front of it and could shield tank a wing of 3 with no issues. But I was getting out-turned by Pythons and Anacondas. It felt like flying a shopping cart full of bricks. Very much not my playstyle, and weird considering how much the imperial ships tend to focus on maneuverability. I'm definitely pulling the Corvette back out of mothballs, at least that thing could turn in less than half an hour.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
A-rated Vulture with two C3 pulses is definitely great for pve. Load it with a bi-weave, shield boosters, HRPs, and military alloys and it can take a beating, too. A FAS outfitted similarly is fun (C3 frag, C3 pulse, two C2 pulses), but not sure I'd say it's definitively better, just probably better. Less shields and a bit less maneuverability, for more armor and more (albeit ammo-constrained) quick killing power, by unloading the frag into a power plant at close range. The FAS is better for taking on wings for that reason, as you can finish off ships more quickly. I just upgraded to a Python but am a ways away from having it combat fit, so not sure how it or the FDL compare to these two.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

I am missing my Vulture. I took my tentatively PvE specced Cutter to a HazRES site for the first time last night. 3 c3 gimballed pulse, 4 c2 gimballed multiCannons, it was absolutely devastating to everything in front of it and could shield tank a wing of 3 with no issues. But I was getting out-turned by Pythons and Anacondas. It felt like flying a shopping cart full of bricks. Very much not my playstyle, and weird considering how much the imperial ships tend to focus on maneuverability. I'm definitely pulling the Corvette back out of mothballs, at least that thing could turn in less than half an hour.
No one would ever watch a Clipper dance and think "wow, that fat lass is manoeuvrable!".

Imp ships focus on speed, turning isn't something they seem to worry about too much.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
My favorite setup right now is a python with 2 gimballed large bursts and 3 plasma cannons. Wrecking shots all day.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

tooterfish posted:

No one would ever watch a Clipper dance and think "wow, that fat lass is manoeuvrable!".

Imp ships focus on speed, turning isn't something they seem to worry about too much.

My only real experience with them was in RES's where they were the only thing other than federal assault ships that I considered a possible threat to my vulture. For some reason they were really great turners when piloted by NPC's (and not spinning helplessly). I will admit that the Cutter is pretty zippy for a big ship, and the extra 5-6ly jump range over the Corvette is a massive time saver, but if it can't turn it can't fight as far as I'm concerned.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Clippers are great turners if you get their weight down real low. Definitely the most nimble of the large ships by far.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I've been thinking of doing a little exploring run to boost my rank now that some missions require it.

How do you find where to go that's unexplored?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Sarsapariller posted:

My only real experience with them was in RES's where they were the only thing other than federal assault ships that I considered a possible threat to my vulture. For some reason they were really great turners when piloted by NPC's (and not spinning helplessly). I will admit that the Cutter is pretty zippy for a big ship, and the extra 5-6ly jump range over the Corvette is a massive time saver, but if it can't turn it can't fight as far as I'm concerned.

Is the cutter worth the grind? It's an absolutely gorgeous ship, and as I mainly trade or smuggle for cash it's a definite improvement on my anaconda, but that rep grind...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Space Skeleton posted:

Clippers are great turners if you get their weight down real low. Definitely the most nimble of the large ships by far.
I was referring to its skidding issues really.

Also, it's not a large ship... it's a medium ship masquerading as one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

I've been thinking of doing a little exploring run to boost my rank now that some missions require it.

How do you find where to go that's unexplored?

Pick a direction and keep flying/scanning. You still get credit for stuff other people have discovered.

I just headed straight up from the bubble. Maybe 1k LY up right now and finding plenty of unscanned stuff including a few water worlds.

• Locked thread