Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I can't seem to find now, but apple season I do pork chops pan seared nicely (something like s&p, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, white pepper, the like) and then I make a pan sauce out of caramelized apples, onions, brown sugar, a little vinegar, and some bourbon. It's rad.

pork chops always seem to be on sale too, I really need to eat them more.

Yeah, I always seem to see them for $2/lb, which is basically sale boneless skinless chicken breast prices. I need to knock them out of the park for my wife, though. Her mother always cooked them pretty much unseasoned until they were leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I always seem to see them for $2/lb, which is basically sale boneless skinless chicken breast prices. I need to knock them out of the park for my wife, though. Her mother always cooked them pretty much unseasoned until they were leather.

Apple is a good choice. Pork works really well with sweet, so I still stand by teriyaki (maybe with ginger), but apple is classic. So is honey, something like:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235158/worlds-best-honey-garlic-pork-chops/

The cooking the hell out of pork thing is, I think, a universal artifact of the baby boomer generation who were told to incinerate it or else they'd get trichinosis. The trichinella infection rate in modern US pork is vanishingly low but old habits die hard. I wouldn't eat it raw, but if it's cooked through it's fine and tastes better than leather.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's definitely a possibility. Her mother cooks everything until it's leather or mush, though. Some of that is probably baby boomer, some of that is just never learning how to cook. And then she resents people for not liking the food she worked so hard on, when if she knew how to cook she wouldn't have to work nearly as hard.

She cooks steaks until they're grey on the outside with only the tiniest pink line on the inside and asks if it's undercooked. I appreciate her effort, but she's just awful at cooking.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's definitely a possibility. Her mother cooks everything until it's leather or mush, though. Some of that is probably baby boomer, some of that is just never learning how to cook. And then she resents people for not liking the food she worked so hard on, when if she knew how to cook she wouldn't have to work nearly as hard.

She cooks steaks until they're grey on the outside with only the tiniest pink line on the inside and asks if it's undercooked. I appreciate her effort, but she's just awful at cooking.

Cripes, just sit down in front of the TV one lazy day and watch cooking shows.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I have a nice problem to have. Two, big rear end 1 - 1 1/2 inch thick, bone-in rib steaks, clocking in at just over a pound each.

My actual issue is that I don't really know the best way to cook these. I was planning on searing them off in cast iron on high heat after seasoning, but I'm not sure how to best cook the inside of the meat, and while I like rare, I don't really like it blue. Can I sear them off and then toss them in the oven for more even cooking? What temp? I'd check every couple of minutes with a thermometer, but I could really use a place to start.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kenji (pbuh) says: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In that article, Kenji says

quote:

When I've got plenty of time to kill, I occasionally employ a low-and-slow cooking method, such as sous-vide, or perhaps the reverse sear method I developed at Cook's Illustrated, in which you start the steak in a very low oven and finish it off on the stovetop.

But you know what happens 99 percent of the time? I've got a steak, I want to get it on the table, and I don't want to fuss with it.
Screw that. You don't get these steaks a lot, so take the time with them. Reverse-sear all the way -- it's not harder, just takes longer. Bonus, your house will smell amazing for hours.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

In that article, Kenji says

Screw that. You don't get these steaks a lot, so take the time with them. Reverse-sear all the way -- it's not harder, just takes longer. Bonus, your house will smell amazing for hours.

I had no idea Kenji came up with the method from cook's. I was going to suggest the same thing, though I will warn that it's significantly slower to do 2.5 lbs in the oven to 125F, like, it took an hour last time I tried it at the recommended oven temp of 275F.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Any suggestions to use up this half can of chipotle peppers left over from chicken tinga?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/chicken-tinga-tacos-recipe.html

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CzarChasm posted:

So, I have a nice problem to have. Two, big rear end 1 - 1 1/2 inch thick, bone-in rib steaks, clocking in at just over a pound each.

My actual issue is that I don't really know the best way to cook these. I was planning on searing them off in cast iron on high heat after seasoning, but I'm not sure how to best cook the inside of the meat, and while I like rare, I don't really like it blue. Can I sear them off and then toss them in the oven for more even cooking? What temp? I'd check every couple of minutes with a thermometer, but I could really use a place to start.

Sousvide with a castiron finish is a good way if you have the means, or, all the other good suggestions above.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tots posted:

Any suggestions to use up this half can of chipotle peppers left over from chicken tinga?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/chicken-tinga-tacos-recipe.html

Freeze whats left in a single layer in a ziploc baggie and then break them off as you need them.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a pizza from last night that has been in the fridge overnight but has been in the car for the last 6 or so hours. It has anchovies on it, is it safe to eat?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Safety guidelines will say no, but I'd probably eat it. Anchovies are usually salted to hell.

Sniff in case.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Safety guidelines will say no, but I'd probably eat it. Anchovies are usually salted to hell.

Sniff in case.

Agreed.

Those safety guidelines usually err pretty heavily on the side of caution I think. If it's just me eating, then I play fast and loose.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ulillillia is proof that old pizza is fine.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Steve Yun posted:

Would one of these vegetable choppers be of use, endlessmonotony?

http://www.amazon.com/Freshware-KT-...getable+chopper

I was just thinking that infomercial guy should look into some infomercial cooking tools. Most of them are completely pointless, but things like this or a pasta boat (plastic box with a strainer lid that lets you cook pasta in the microwave) could be useful. Cooking aids for seniors might also be a good thing to look into, as they're made for people who have problems with grasping and can't stand or move around for long periods of time.

If you can even get that stuff there I dunno.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I had never made mashed potatoes (from scratch) until a couple weeks ago. Didn't turn out well. I have ideas on how to do it differently today. (And if anyone has a recipe that I can use two russets in, let me know.) One thing I want to ask about, though, is using a potato ricer. It has three different "faces" to squeeze the potatoes through, much like this:

Which setting would make the best consistency for mashed potatoes? I believe the first time I used the one with the tiniest holes. The consistency seemed... strange, though. Not sure if it was due to that setting, or because a mistake I had made while cooking the potatoes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Revol posted:

I had never made mashed potatoes (from scratch) until a couple weeks ago. Didn't turn out well. I have ideas on how to do it differently today. (And if anyone has a recipe that I can use two russets in, let me know.) One thing I want to ask about, though, is using a potato ricer. It has three different "faces" to squeeze the potatoes through, much like this:

Which setting would make the best consistency for mashed potatoes? I believe the first time I used the one with the tiniest holes. The consistency seemed... strange, though. Not sure if it was due to that setting, or because a mistake I had made while cooking the potatoes.
The coarse disc of a potato ricer (or food mill) should be fine. Cook your potatoes until they're fork tender (you stick a fork in them, and it comes right back out without resistance or sticking, but not so soft that they're coming apart in the water). Put them through the ricer. Take a potato masher (or other similar implement) to blend with your butter, cream, milk, or whatever the gently caress you're putting in your mashed potatoes, until everything is smooth. If you end up with lumps, you either need to cook the taters for longer (until they're slightly softer), or you need to keep mixing at the end more. If you end up with a thick, gooey paste, you've mixed too much.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

And if anyone has a recipe that I can use two russets in, let me know.

I like adding leeks to my fried potatoes for some extra flavour.

Potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 leek, white part only, cleaned and chopped
3tbsp of butter, divided
salt

Peel and chop the potatoes, and place in boiling salted water. Cook until a fork passes through them, should take 15-20 minutes depending on how small you chopped the potatoes
While the potatoes are cooking, fry the leeks in about 1tbsp of the butter, over a low temperature for about 15 minutes
Drain the potatoes, reserving a little of the cooking liquid and put them in a bowl
Add the rest of the butter and about 3tbsp of the cooking liquid, and mash it up.
Add the leaks, as well as any remaining butter from the pan to the potatoes and mash it all together.
Add salt and pepper to taste

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

What's everyone's favorite place for food related content? Right now the only places I ever really go are serious eats, Americas test kitchen, and I just subscribed to a podcast called Gastropod which seems interesting. What else is out there for food, food science, and food inspiration?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Epicurious has some interesting stuff as well as a neat iOS app with a recipe mode so you can park the iPad and say 'down' or 'ingredients' or whatever and not have to touch it with messy hands. The app also has tons of archived recipes from old cooking magazines. Be aware that they also seem to be kind of a culinary Buzzfeed so expect articles like '5 THINGS YOU ARE DOING WRONG WITH YOUR ARTICHOKES BECAUSE YOU HATE YOUR CHILDREN'.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
My potatoes came out really good this time. The mistake I made the first time is that I tried doing a trick I read online: cooking the potatoes with the skin, and then just having the skin slide off after. Well, this caused me to not allow the potatoes to cook correctly. This time I manned up and did it right, peeled first. Also cut them up into eighths, not quarters. Two potatoes, quarter cup milk, about an ounce of cream cheese, and using the middle setting on the ricer made for a great texture. And I ended up having the best steak I've ever made tonight, too. Always got my previous meat at the local supermarket. This time I decided to check out the meat market down the street, and they have bourbon marinated steaks. Seared on my cast iron skillet, drat that was good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Revol posted:

My potatoes came out really good this time. The mistake I made the first time is that I tried doing a trick I read online: cooking the potatoes with the skin, and then just having the skin slide off after. Well, this caused me to not allow the potatoes to cook correctly. This time I manned up and did it right, peeled first. Also cut them up into eighths, not quarters. Two potatoes, quarter cup milk, about an ounce of cream cheese, and using the middle setting on the ricer made for a great texture. And I ended up having the best steak I've ever made tonight, too. Always got my previous meat at the local supermarket. This time I decided to check out the meat market down the street, and they have bourbon marinated steaks. Seared on my cast iron skillet, drat that was good.

That's strange. I pressure cook mine with the skins on then just mash em in whatever liquid I like (usually whole milk + butter) afterwards with any salt / herbs etc and they come out fine.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Skins on is pretty well the classic way (as I understand it) to cook spuds for mashing (baking is also good). Never had a problem with them undercooking, and I tend to test them the same way. They will take longer though.

My little tapioca dessert was grand. The pistachios were needed and ideal, but the coconut milk dulce de leche was absolutely fantastic. Only need a little but daymn. Good stuff. Thanks for the help.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The type of potato matters for skin removal post cooking as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I can not be loving bothered to take more then 6 minutes on a batch of malformed spreadable tatties. Therefore, I only make smashed potatoes, skin on. I respect those willing to make the effort to create beautiful and lovely smooth mashed potatoes. However, by expending minimal effort, I can make pretty darn decent Shepard's Pie topping and steak side and the start of a Thanksgiving Yam Mash with a microwave, half a stick of butter, a mashing stick of some kind, and a bowl.

I do love perfect mashed potatoes, but someone else is going to have to do it for me. Godspeed, you black empermashers!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I actually prefer smashed. So I guess that works out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Cavenagh posted:

Skins on is pretty well the classic way (as I understand it) to cook spuds for mashing (baking is also good).
Skin on is better if you want them creamier, as in a purée. For lighter, fluffier mashed potatoes you want to peel, chop, and rinse the potatoes beforehand and possibly (if you want to move the needle all the way over from creamy to fluffy) rinse them again after cooking and before mashing.

It really depends on what kind of presentation you're going for. If I'm making pommes purées I'll use unskinned, small, waxy potatoes, put them through a food mill with the skins still on (the food mill will skin the potatoes automagically), and then lightly whip them while I'm adding the dairy. If I want fluffier potatoes, I'll use Russets or something like that, and skin, chop, and rinse the potatoes before cooking, and then use a potato masher to finish the drained potatoes and to incorporate the dairy. The former method works if you're just going for a side, while you want something fluffier if you're planning on serving e.g. a braised shank in a bed of mashed potatoes.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

SubG posted:

Skin on is better if you want them creamier, as in a purée. For lighter, fluffier mashed potatoes you want to peel, chop, and rinse the potatoes beforehand and possibly (if you want to move the needle all the way over from creamy to fluffy) rinse them again after cooking and before mashing.

It really depends on what kind of presentation you're going for. If I'm making pommes purées I'll use unskinned, small, waxy potatoes, put them through a food mill with the skins still on (the food mill will skin the potatoes automagically), and then lightly whip them while I'm adding the dairy. If I want fluffier potatoes, I'll use Russets or something like that, and skin, chop, and rinse the potatoes before cooking, and then use a potato masher to finish the drained potatoes and to incorporate the dairy. The former method works if you're just going for a side, while you want something fluffier if you're planning on serving e.g. a braised shank in a bed of mashed potatoes.

More starch left in the potato = creamy, less starch = fluffy?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Tots posted:

More starch left in the potato = creamy, less starch = fluffy?
All else being equal, yeah. The variety of potato, method of preparation (cooked whole, chopped, grated, or whatever) are also major factors, as they affect the basic texture/consistency as well as, for example, the amount of pectin you're dealing with (more cell wall disruption---e.g. by grating---means more pectin released, which tends to produce a thicker, slightly gummy consistency, which is good if you're making latkes or something like that, but generally isn't something you want in your mashed potatoes).

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Hoping someone here can help me identify what pepper cultivar I just bought. The Indian lady I bought it from told me it was mostly used for medicinal purposes there, but I wasn't able to gather precisely what it was.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

Tots posted:

What's everyone's favorite place for food related content? Right now the only places I ever really go are serious eats, Americas test kitchen, and I just subscribed to a podcast called Gastropod which seems interesting. What else is out there for food, food science, and food inspiration?

I've been enjoying reading through the back catalog of Lucky Peach's stuff, as well as working through their cookbook.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I accidentally dishwashered my (steel?) bread hook from my KitchenAid mixer, and now it's all tarnished (black, grease-like marks when I handle it). What's the best way to clean it up?

I hit it with some dish soap and got most of it off, but it's all splotchy still. I don't mind the aesthetic, I just want to make sure it won't impact my bread.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

I accidentally dishwashered my (steel?) bread hook from my KitchenAid mixer, and now it's all tarnished (black, grease-like marks when I handle it). What's the best way to clean it up?

I hit it with some dish soap and got most of it off, but it's all splotchy still. I don't mind the aesthetic, I just want to make sure it won't impact my bread.

It's aluminum and its pretty much hosed. I'm not sure how to undo that when it happens.

edit: the internet is suggesting everything from metal polish to toothpaste to cream of tartar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have aluminum cookie sheets. I washed them in the dishwasher, and the turned dark gray. I scrubbed them with steel wool and they were shiny again.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's aluminum and its pretty much hosed. I'm not sure how to undo that when it happens.

edit: the internet is suggesting everything from metal polish to toothpaste to cream of tartar.

It's my understanding that it's just a layer of oxidation. Assuming the oxidized layer is removed, would there be any problem with using the bread hook (structural integrity, etc)?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's my understanding that it's just a layer of oxidation. Assuming the oxidized layer is removed, would there be any problem with using the bread hook (structural integrity, etc)?

No, it is just a very thin surface layer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

It should be fine. I had an ice cream scoop that got dishwashed and I never could get all the oxidation off, but I probably wasn't using the right tools. But if you can get it off, it will be fine.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I bought a stuffed chicken from my meat market. Parmesan and marinara. Instructions say to bake it in a baking tray, covered, for thirty minutes, along with some water in the tray. Makes sense, get some steam going to keep it from going dry. But won't that standing water also make the bottom of the chicken soggy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Revol posted:

I bought a stuffed chicken from my meat market. Parmesan and marinara. Instructions say to bake it in a baking tray, covered, for thirty minutes, along with some water in the tray. Makes sense, get some steam going to keep it from going dry. But won't that standing water also make the bottom of the chicken soggy?

If it's sitting in the water, then I don't see how it wouldn't. Radiant heat from oven air is lousy at steaming things. I used to preheat a tray of water in the oven for an hour when I tried to make baguettes at like 450º and not once did I notice any moisture, and they certainly didn't steam. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

I'd bet the marinara will do more to keep things moist than a puddle of water under the chicken.

e: if you want to compromise, maybe put some water in the tray and boost the chicken up just above it with a wire rack like a toaster oven rack or something. Those directions sound odd but if it came from a real meat market they could be legit.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 3, 2016