Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

I seem to remember Impie posting here at some point so if you are reading: Strange Aeons is super good so far. Just finished the first episode and I really enjoyed it.

Anyone know if jumping / crouching / freeaim is intended? I went through it with my standard and it didn't seem to make a big difference but....

I'm pretty sure free-aim was mentioned in the readme, but jumping is locked out (it'd break the game as early as E1M2). Crouching still works, but I don't think it's meant to.

It's good stuff though, although I did drop down from UV to HMP. Surprised at just how much difference it makes to enemy types used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've been grabbing the latest versions pretty much as they came out but haven't gotten around to actually trying it again and I really should. I especially want to see how E4 has developed since I did my write-up on it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Can't get this to run at all, gives me an ctd error "Mod_LoadModel: progs/s_plasma.spr not found" when loading any map. There is indeed no such file in ad/progs. Anybody got it to work?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skull Dash is a really great Doom wad, but man these bonus levels are traaaaaash. One of the bonus levels is just you having to punch an enemy that has a million goddamn HP and kills you in four hits. No coin collection involved at all. Good stuff! :bravo:

The main levels are super hot though.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

skasion posted:

Can't get this to run at all, gives me an ctd error "Mod_LoadModel: progs/s_plasma.spr not found" when loading any map. There is indeed no such file in ad/progs. Anybody got it to work?

Did you install the patch over top of the mod? (The patch itself is just some new/added files, it's not the whole mod.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

Did you install the patch over top of the mod? (The patch itself is just some new/added files, it's not the whole mod.)

Yes. The AD download on Quaddicted still works just fine. Patches don't. First patch loads up Q1 default start map, but crashes on trying to load any of the AD maps. Second patch gives me this missing sprite (?) error.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hmm weird. That sprite is one of the files in the original mod download. Not sure why yours would be missing after applying the patch.

e: to be super clear: the files from the patch should go into the same mod folder wherever you put the original mod files. They add to (and replace some of) those files. Sorry, you probably know that, just covering the bases.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 1, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there a recommended mapset for Project Brutality? I'm starting to realise I hate the Doom 2 maps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there a recommended mapset for Project Brutality? I'm starting to realise I hate the Doom 2 maps.

Maps of chaos! They're slightly/more-than-slightly remixed versions of vanilla maps for both DOOMs.

EDIT: What I really appreciate about these maps is that, for the most part, you can play the map as originally planned, as everything added in is really extra. Then again, I haven't played through them all, so there might be a key located in a new area.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 1, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anything, really. The more open and 'modern' the better, although slaughtermaps probably aren't the way to go.

It's designed to play especially nicely with the official BD campaign maps. Even got some tweaks specifically for that with the 2.0 update.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maps of chaos! They're slightly/more-than-slightly remixed versions of vanilla maps for both DOOMs.

This. Be mindful of the difficulty though. There are some seriously bumped up enemy encounters. I think this map set was originally made with co-op in mind. Fun stuff though, especially with mods.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hellbound also works especially well with BD/PB, even on Ultra-violence. The issues some people had with there being too many Hell Knights on UV are fixed by them being much faster to kill with those mods.

Also, as the maps are extra long, I suggest you use one of PB's HUD features - timed autosaves. I've got it set to save once every two minutes with a buffer of five saves.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dominic White posted:

It's designed to play especially nicely with the official BD campaign maps. Even got some tweaks specifically for that with the 2.0 update.

Cool, thanks, I'll check both of them out.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

KMX who does One Man Doom posts in this thread, right? Just wanted to give him a shoutout, that blog is my main source when I feel "hmm I'm bored and need a solid Doom engine wad to play." Especially that he does Heretic maps too, the few that there are. I'm maybe the one weird person who prefers Heretic to Doom. Mostly for the setting and nostalgia, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dominic White posted:

Mmm, nah. Or at least, its variants are interesting.

And on that note, Project Brutality's next update (2.03 seems like it'll be it for a little while longer) seems like it'll include another plasma weapon, possibly as an upgrade to the basic plasma rifle. Sprite looks nice. It should be dual-wieldable, too?

I really like PBs plasma weapons, especially the heavy carbine that costs 2 cells per shot. Has a lot of oomph without the obnoxious classic plasma noise. Never really liked that sound.
Will updating PB, then loading a save from the previous version cause any negative effects? In the middle of a level pack now and wondering if I should just stick to 2.02 to be safe.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

skasion posted:

What sourceport are you using? Works flawlessly on qspasm.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Minidust posted:

Will updating PB, then loading a save from the previous version cause any negative effects?

Doom is pretty picky about saves. Almost certainly won't be compatible. You can just roll back a level, give yourself some gear with console commands and continue from there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Usually (G)ZDoom will refuse to load if you attempt to load a save with a different set or versions of mods than it was made with.

Whenever I have to I always just update, restart the game, and warp to the same map and provide the same equipment I had. I only ever cared enough to do this maybe twice, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Good to know guys, thanks!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you want to screw around with a gameplay mod and don't care about the levels, there's always Oblige...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Cool, thanks, I'll check both of them out.

Oh!! Get Going Down. You'll never be the same.

Also, Scythe 2, and that's honestly best played with Demonsteele.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Going Down is insanely cool but is really tightly balanced so I don't think it's so great for BD

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

laserghost posted:

What sourceport are you using? Works flawlessly on qspasm.

Latest version of Quakespasm yeah. Got it to work though, I just had the download unpacking over whole folders by mistake instead of unpacking into each individually. Whoops :rolleye:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Going Down is insanely cool but is really tightly balanced so I don't think it's so great for BD

I love the GD/BD combination :colbert:

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you can stand the envirments being all techbases then Back to Saturn X Ep 1 might be a choice - at least it has been working pretty nicely for me thus far.

I would also warn against Doom 2 Reloaded. At first I thought it worked fine but some later levels have serious bullshit in it and PB compounds the problems here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Malek Deneith posted:

If you can stand the envirments being all techbases then Back to Saturn X Ep 1 might be a choice - at least it has been working pretty nicely for me thus far.

I would also warn against Doom 2 Reloaded. At first I thought it worked fine but some later levels have serious bullshit in it and PB compounds the problems here.

Have you tried it with Doom 2 In Name Only?

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
http://www.mustaine.com/about/video-game-work/perditions-gate/

You can get the full version of Perdition's Gate legally from there. I loaded it up with PB and I'm having a blast.

A little background on Perdition's Gate: it's an obscure DOOM game, that along with it's sister WAD Hell 2 Pay, were supposed to be the two games that made up Final DOOM. The deal fell through and we got Evilution and Plutonia instead, and PG and H2P were regulated to the obscure annals of history after a lukewarm release by GT Interactive and Wizardworks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Perdition's Gate is genuinely pretty awesome. Probably my favorite of the three "halves" of Final Doom, despite not making the deadline to actually be part of Final Doom.

(I'm pretty sure Hell to Pay was never meant to be part of Final Doom, though.)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I started playing Maps of Chaos until I realized that "remixed" maps means "the same maps, with an exterior area drawn on top" and twice as many enemies.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
More exactly, if the Mustaines had worked faster, Final Doom would have had Evilution, Plutonia, and Perdition's Gate; but they missed the time window so Final Doom got "only" two megawad and Perdgate was instead published by Wizard Works.

Hell to Pay was always meant to be published by Wizard Works, which is why it's a partial conversion, with sprite replacements for most monsters and weapons.

Fun fact, one of the songs in Hell to Pay/Perdition's Gate (they share most of their soundtrack) is very close to one from TNT. The song that plays on MAP06 and 26 of HTP, and MAP20 of PG has the exact same bassline as the theme from Human BBQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHc6dtPnjp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVakFefyPhw

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Huh. I could have sworn H2P's replacements came after the fact. My memory is hazy on it; I only remember some obscure blog posts when I was trying to find the H2P wad because the Wizardworks CD my grandpa had was scratched to poo poo and basically unsalvageable.

But yes, Perdition's Gate is baller as gently caress and is a fantastic experience.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

blackmarketlimb posted:

http://www.mustaine.com/about/video-game-work/perditions-gate/

You can get the full version of Perdition's Gate legally from there. I loaded it up with PB and I'm having a blast.

A little background on Perdition's Gate: it's an obscure DOOM game, that along with it's sister WAD Hell 2 Pay, were supposed to be the two games that made up Final DOOM. The deal fell through and we got Evilution and Plutonia instead, and PG and H2P were regulated to the obscure annals of history after a lukewarm release by GT Interactive and Wizardworks.

Cool, thanks for this! I'm have a fondness for mid 90s map sets. I'm sure it's because I spent countless hours (probably days, cumulatively) playing the shareware episode over and over back in 1995 and just got used to that level of detail. Will have to give it a shot sometime!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Today, I realized that Toxic Refinery might just be my favourite first-person shooter map ever made. It's just so good. Compact and intricate, the backtracking isn't even that bad, and it's got a secret exit that is tricky to find.

:swoon:

I know we had that poll last year with excellent write-ups for every map from both games, but I don't even remember what won. Anyone have a link and/or thoughts on your favourite fps map?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Can second Perdition's Gate, it's really cool and I prefer it over Evilution and Plutonia.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I had Oblige make me a map with the enemy density and map size set to maximum:

The kill counter actually just stops at 999, there's at least double that number of enemies in this map. I shouldn't have played this before bed because I'm currently too adrenaline'd up to sleep.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hacx isn't very good.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

my bony fealty posted:

KMX who does One Man Doom posts in this thread, right? Just wanted to give him a shoutout, that blog is my main source when I feel "hmm I'm bored and need a solid Doom engine wad to play." Especially that he does Heretic maps too, the few that there are. I'm maybe the one weird person who prefers Heretic to Doom. Mostly for the setting and nostalgia, though.

thank you very much! i'd love to get around to reviewing more heretic maps. i have some pretty good reccs sitting around. but i have been busy and the community has dumped like an enormity of cool 2016 stuff (including romero's map), on the back of all the 2015 stuff i didn't get around to playing.

also yeah perdgate and hell2pay are pretty cool 96 experiences. id love to see someone grab the tilesets (esp. PERDGATE) and make a new mapset with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Overbite posted:

Hacx isn't very good.

I've never played it, but the weapons from it that show up in Reelism are fantastic.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I thought it was pretty alright. Didn't finish it, though.

I'm kinda disappointed there's not more custom stuff (beyond maps) for Wrack.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Just played the base level of Arcane Dimensions. I enjoyed it but the flying manta ray things are loving annoying and take way too many hits.