Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

That wear pattern is classic blown shocks, especially on low-weight rear end vehicles. My wife's Fit's shocks wore out, and left her rear snows feathered like that. Swap on a new pair of shocks, or it'll eat the rear tires again.

Upon further analysis, the pre-2000 date coded tire and dramatically leaking rear shocks appear to agree with your and Powershift's assessment.

Also the whole milieu is pretty amazing. On top of the diagonal wear and the periodic flat spots it won't stand up on its own. It's an italic tire now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Assembled the rest of the engine. Mated transmission. Went to bolt up starter at the end of the day.

Stretched and shredded the bolts and threads because we had the slide bracket in the block already torqued. gently caress.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Nodoze posted:

Get a drain valve they are the best

Yeah but then I don't get to go fishing for my drain bolt.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Get a drain valve they are the best

Better than a magnetic drain plug?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Yes, you're correct. Also i guess it may help speed up the oil draining, or may not.

My post above was a joke post though, the assumption being that the majority of readers know the simple procedure for an oil change, and those who don't will not find enough information in my post above to complete it successfully.

I don't put things in or near my hood latch, ever since I got the hood partly latched on a misplaced tool, and was unable to lower the hood enough to release the secondary latch.

I figured as much from the "pour oil in general direction of engine", but figured it might save someone some time :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Why not just pull the cooler return line and dump all the old fluid? It's less wasteful but doesn't get the fluid in the converter.

There's a reason, of course. :) So the Volvo radiator/trans cooler has a fitting that supposedly takes a special tool to remove. Also, the fluid level on these cars are stupid sensitive according to the manual. They have to be within 0.2 L according to it. This wouldn't be a big deal if it were easy to check the fluid level. There is a dipstick, but the procedure to check it "hot" is this:

Problem is, you're basically guessing at trans temp unless you have a Volvo scan tool to see what the readout is. So essentially the easiest way to get around this is "drain fluid, replace same amount you drained."

TL;DR: Because Volvo, basically.

Elmnt80 posted:

It spits back h9 as the high beam, h11 as the high beam and D2r as the HID bulb at ~$100 each (look online). :v:

The h10 I can find pictures of online looks like a standard halogen bulb. The D2r looks like an actual HID and this in specific:

Edit: And a bit more looking shows an h10 bulb as a fog light which could also be listed as a 9145 bulb. Hope this helps. :toot:

Yep, this daytime running light is a standard halogen H10, 9145. Nothing seemed to line up online anywhere with it being for my car, even for the fog lights. :v: Got it replaced yesterday.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 25, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Yep, this daytime running light is a standard halogen H10, 9145. Nothing seemed to line up online anywhere with it being for my car, even for the fog lights. :v: Got it replaced yesterday.

Ah, okay then. I think I was thrown by your mention of the optional HIDs and my brain went down the wrong road. As it turns out, This is a bit harder when I can't walk out and just look to see what light is out myself. :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Laserface posted:

Better than a magnetic drain plug?

Yes

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just scored a set of complete DC Integra shocks/springs/tophats/bumpstops/boots for $80. They're not mint, but they're also not totally blown like the ones in the Civic. Pretty stoked.

Dude was tearing down a perfectly good DC Integra to build a sporty car out of (Teins are going in). I got dibs on the powered steering rack, which should be a faster ratio than my Civic, when he gets it out.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just scored a set of complete DC Integra shocks/springs/tophats/bumpstops/boots for $80. They're not mint, but they're also not totally blown like the ones in the Civic. Pretty stoked.

Dude was tearing down a perfectly good DC Integra to build a sporty car out of (Teins are going in). I got dibs on the powered steering rack, which should be a faster ratio than my Civic, when he gets it out.

If you upgrade to aftermarket shocks for the civic, be sure to remove the threaded collar piece that the brake line mounts to from the old ones, the aftermarket ones may not have them. I bought koni yellows for mine and they didn't have them. The same piece can be grabbed off of a similar generation accord stock shock, as they are the same size.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Today I put in a new axle in the V70 to replace the one that had a hole worn in the boot. It had 146k (assuming original) so figured it was better to do that than re-boot it. Upon doing this I noticed that one of the control arm bushings is torn which probably explains the front end popping and weird handling. Another $75 to rock auto for 4 bushings for the front control arms on the way. :shepspends: I've never replaced just bushings (usually do the whole arm) so this should be interesting as I don't own a press. Aluminum arms and no rust, we'll see what happens. Hopefully nothing too "exciting."

Also found that the front has no camber adjustment on the struts, which I found weird. Yeah, it's not a performance car but I figured it would have eccentric bolts at least. Toe only from the looks of it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 27, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Burn the rubber out of the bushings (or rip it out with a drillbit like this) and then sawzall the outer metal sleeve through 90% of the way, making sure to not cut into the aluminum. Then you can probably poke it out with a screwdriver and a hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9IKbRu91o

It's probably seized pretty nicely to the aluminum, so this is way easier than trying to press it out usually. I'd wire brush the bore and maybe toss a little WD40 on it before pressing the new one in, too.

e: can't hurt to put the bushing in the freezer and the control arm in the oven at 150-160 degrees, either. That should buy you a few thousandths of increased clearance.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'll probably try a ball joint C clamp style one and my impact first and see how that goes. If that fails I'll probably do exactly as you suggest but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Hit a roundabout while sneezing 2 weeks ago in my Saab 9-5

Bad things happened.

Replaced inner and outer tie rods, ball joint, CV axle (boot was torn). New tie rod was different length than old tie rod so I had to guess on the alignment. Steering is now hilarious.

Fixed gas leak problem too. I swear this thing will be awesome again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So when I first got my Civic, I thought that the rhythmic wheel speed thumping and grinding from the back was either wheel bearings or rear drums.

Did the rear drums, and the wheel bearings seemed fine - no visible runout, no horrible grinding noises when spun by hand. Strange!

Now with new(er) tires in the back I think it was just the horribly cupped 8+ year old rear snow tires all along.

Picked up an $80 set of Integra complete suspension units so I'll probably fart those in pretty soon.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Mcqueen posted:

Hit a roundabout while sneezing 2 weeks ago in my Saab 9-5

Are you British? Because this sounds like an overwhelmingly British thing to do.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Accessory idler pulley on my SRT-4 was making sounds that I can only describe as "the sinking of Atlantis". $50 later I have a new one and a new belt because hey, it's been 160k miles why not?

gently caress. Me. Sideways.

Can't take the pulley off the spring housing because the bolt backs into the frame rail. The spring housing bolt is so hidden it was only by the grace of God I got a ratcheting wrench on it. Two clicks of travel on a bolt that is like three loving inches long. Install was just as bad. I had to hang the assembly from a piece of string looped over the hood so I could use a single finger to half rear end start this bolt by a finger nail. I want to murder a baby seal.

P.S. don't ever start an open diff Chrysler with one front wheel off the ground and let out the clutch. It threw like 9 codes. :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 29, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Could be worse, you could have tried backing it off with a ratching box end wrench.

Step 1: back bolt off halfway
Step 2: get wrench stuck
Step 3: stand back and look at your handy work
Step 4: unbolt motor mount.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Powershift posted:

Could be worse, you could have tried backing it off with a ratching box end wrench.

I was somewhere between step one and two before I realized my impending doom.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

That's just what I was thinking. Get the bolt backed out just enough to trap the wrench/socket/ratchet. I forget precisely when, but I've been there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That exact situation is why I now own two 9/16 gearwrenches and one 9/16 stubby gearwrench*.

gently caress the studs on an NP231 for seizing to the nuts and backing out, instead of the nut backing off, trapping the goddamned stud/nut/wrench in a pocket in the tailhousing of the AW4 or AX15 transmission, forever.

* I learned that lesson the hard way, TWICE, and if the stud moves instead of the nut, I don't trap the damned wrench now.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
New clutch slave came in the mail a week or so ago and I finally got a break through the cold and snow to get it on today. First time driving the car too. Drives like a dream with the exception of a few minor things. A lot of my intake piping is fucky/leaky/ABS plumbing fittings, and I have some sticky brake issues in the rear, but nothing serious. She's getting a full detail soon and going in storage until winter is over.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

That's the only way to change the idler on a 93-01 Altima. It honestly wasn't too bad pulling the mount, it was a serious :doh: moment when I realized how easy it was to get to the bolts once the engine was lifted a few inches.

The Ion, on the other hand.. the tensioner can burn in hell. You can actually remove it easily enough, but the hole that you slip a breaker bar into is angled at such a way that you either need to pull an axle or pull the motor mount if you want to use 90% of the tensioner tools out there on it - so you're hosed when you try to actually put the belt on. At least there's a small access hole to unbolt the tensioner..

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I got my tires rotated and balanced, and a shiny new set of lug nuts. A very exciting day for the Jeep.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I checked my truck's front suspension out since it sounded like the new control arms (did uppers and lowers, new ball joints and outer tie rods) were binding. I'd heard that it might be that the bolts weren't torqued down enough by the alignment shop so I wanted to torque the poo poo out of them. Upon doing so, I found that I or the alignment place (but I don't think they even take off the wheels...) only hand tightened my lugs on the FR wheel on a truck that needs like ~150 lb-ft. Welp. Some of the control arm bolts were a little loose (140 lb-ft spec I believe) so they were tightened and I checked the torque on all the wheel nuts again for good measure.

Still didn't seem to make much difference. :v: Might just be a squeaky rack or steering shaft, and the power steering pump is notoriously lovely (01 Silverado 5.3) so I might be hearing that.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 1, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Removed the recirc hose between the intake and BOV, venting it to atmosphere. Capped off the intake with a 1" cane tip. Sounds awesome. Excuse the lovely cellphone quality audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryvuGU58HkY

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Removed the recirc hose between the intake and BOV, venting it to atmosphere. Capped off the intake with a 1" cane tip. Sounds awesome. Excuse the lovely cellphone quality audio.

This is pretty much universally a bad idea on any turbo car unless you account for the metered air you're losing. But you probably already know that. :rice:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My car has a MAP sensor not a MAF. Pretty common "mod" for my car.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

This is pretty much universally a bad idea on any turbo car unless you account for the metered air you're losing. But you probably already know that. :rice:

You just put a second MAF in backwards on the end of the BOV, then wire it in parallel to the stock MAF.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Put your seatbelt on you maniac :corsair:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

You just put a second MAF in backwards on the end of the BOV, then wire it in parallel to the stock MAF.

wait... seriously?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wait... seriously?

No.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

hahaha okay. I didn't think so, but for a minute there, my brain tried to reason it into working.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wire it in series. Duh.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bucephalus posted:

Wire it in series. Duh.

Exactly. Parallel would just be silly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

That exact situation is why I now own two 9/16 gearwrenches and one 9/16 stubby gearwrench*.

gently caress the studs on an NP231 for seizing to the nuts and backing out, instead of the nut backing off, trapping the goddamned stud/nut/wrench in a pocket in the tailhousing of the AW4 or AX15 transmission, forever.

* I learned that lesson the hard way, TWICE, and if the stud moves instead of the nut, I don't trap the damned wrench now.

I just this weekend looked at a Pop Mech article on "things to throw out of your garage right now". One of the tips was "extra/duplicate tools", and I remember thinking: "are these people insane? There's no such thing as 'extra' tools." There's always some point where you will need two of a thing to get something in or out.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wait... seriously?

:psyduck:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car sounds like that with the BOV recirculating. Metal intake with an aggressive spring in the bov is a hoot, you can choose between pigeon noises, a "pssshhh" or dead silence just by letting off the gas at the right rpm/boost.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Just get one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00LPlHDP98Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you don't put a duck call on that BOV you are doing it wrong SAC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbUMXZvfi8