Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'll be the first to say it I guess. I haven't really enjoyed the past 2 episodes. Something about the pacing just seems real off to me.

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'll be the first to say it I guess. I haven't really enjoyed the past 2 episodes. Something about the pacing just seems real off to me.

You're not wrong, but I think it's a really common thing where the first eps of a season can seem slow because they have to build momentum and move the pieces around the board a bit for everything to start really kicking off.

Season 2 had this issue, and I can name a whole ton of other shows that do this too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Personally, I only ship couples whose names combine to form real words. Craven, Clasper, Minty, Memory, and Aha! for life. :colbert: Bellamy's name sadly just doesn't fit with anyone, so I only ship Bellamy/Friendzone, or Bellendzone for short.

Murphy and clawhand girl

Maw

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Last time we saw Clarke she had just committed genocide, it's not surprising these first couple episodes moved relatively slow. Im sure by the end of the season she'll be snapping baby necks or eating her mother alive or something

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Murphy and clawhand girl

Maw

Claw hand girl is named Emory. Already covered.

Also, to the other poster: it's spelled "Baja." :smug:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Spergatory posted:

Claw hand girl is named Emory. Already covered.

Memory?

Murphy doesn't seem to be down with her killing Lurch though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rewatching the first season and right from the beginning every time they mention Finn and his spacewalk he has this distant glance which tells you he didn't do it, and Raven even drops hints from her appearance onwards. Thought that was nice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hollylolly posted:

Linctavia is my OTP :swoon:

What was Captain Vane's name on this show? Prince A....? I missed it.

Aragorn. He's basically Post-Apocalyptic Aragorn so you might as well call him that.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

raditts posted:

Aragorn. He's basically Post-Apocalyptic Aragorn so you might as well call him that.

:lol:

I almost said Aragorn, to be honest.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don't think these episodes have moved slow, I think they've moved way too fast.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't think these episodes have moved slow, I think they've moved way too fast.

Well, my point still stands, they're in the setting up stage.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The only thing i was iffy about was Bellamy & company quickly finding the trading post then quickly catching up to Roan & Clarke.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Did you guys know Clarke is the last blond human being left, in the world?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Did you guys know Clarke is the last blond human being left, in the world?
...except for the girl at the trading post.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I dunno, i'm tipping there are some viking looking motherfuckers up in the Ice Nation.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

I bet there's a cave full of albino mole people somewhere.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's because Clarke hasn't killed anyone yet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kegslayer posted:

It's because Clarke hasn't killed anyone yet.

She killed those three ice nation dudes by proxy

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

She killed those three ice nation dudes by proxy

Oh man. I'm going to check if those are counted on the wiki RIGHT NOW.

edit: They are not.

edit2: so far, those kills are simply unlisted. I guess they don't count as notable, which is fine.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 1, 2016

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Where Clarke has the guy under the water and doesn't finish the job was the only part that didn't work for me. If they didn't want him dead, they could have written something more believable. It's tough to buy that Clarke of all people would hesitate to kill some rando would-be kidnapper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drowning isn't her specialty. It wouldn't have come up much on the Ark.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Season 2 had this issue, and I can name a whole ton of other shows that do this too.

Episode 1 of Spartacus. :negative:

Literally so bad I skip it on every re-watch.

Acinonyx posted:

Where Clarke has the guy under the water and doesn't finish the job was the only part that didn't work for me. If they didn't want him dead, they could have written something more believable. It's tough to buy that Clarke of all people would hesitate to kill some rando would-be kidnapper.

He did something I've always wondered why no one else in fiction has done before, pretend to drown.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xoidanor posted:

He did something I've always wondered why no one else in fiction has done before, pretend to drown.

Hannibal did it. Though he was pretending to pass out from suffocation but it's the same principle

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Episode 1 of Spartacus. :negative:

Literally so bad I skip it on every re-watch.

Yeah, it wasn't that she didn't kill him on purpose, she was trying to and he faked that he'd died so she'd stop choking/drowning him to death.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, it wasn't that she didn't kill him on purpose, she was trying to and he faked that he'd died so she'd stop choking/drowning him to death.

And also, this is understandable. Despite her killcount, most of Clarke's kills have been swift and easy.

Now, she's apparently been taking down panthers with just a knife, so she's obviously got that hands-on experiance now, but "a feel for when you've drowned someone" isn't really something we should really expect Clarke to have at this point.

I mean, now she probably does. I doubt she ever makes that mistake again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It was a nice subversion, fiction has pretty much conditioned people into thinking that people are dead the second they stop struggling.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

It was a nice subversion, fiction has pretty much conditioned people into thinking that people are dead the second they stop struggling.

Ya, but there is no practical reason to stop choking them when they stop moving unless you suddenly felt bad about killing someone or didn't understand how hard it often is to kill someone. Clarke has been demonstrated many times to have neither of these issues.

I'm totally fine with the writers having Prince Aragorn get the upper hand on her, but they way they did it seemed cheap because that's the trick that would have worked on her mom or someone else who has never killed anyone up close and personal.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Acinonyx posted:

Ya, but there is no practical reason to stop choking them when they stop moving unless you suddenly felt bad about killing someone or didn't understand how hard it often is to kill someone. Clarke has been demonstrated many times to have neither of these issues.

Clarke always feels bad about killing people.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Acinonyx posted:

I'm totally fine with the writers having Prince Aragorn get the upper hand on her, but they way they did it seemed cheap because that's the trick that would have worked on her mom or someone else who has never killed anyone up close and personal.

I'm kind of with you, as soon as she started drowning him I thought, "Oh I hope he doesn't pull a fake-out drown and Clarke gets got that way..." Welp, sure enough, it happened. It's just a very minour pet peeve.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Acinonyx posted:

I don't think its about her not finishing the job. It felt to me like she thought she had killed him because she couldn't see anymore bubble.

Guy was smart enough to stop struggling and hold his breath. Kudo's for him.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm kind of with you, as soon as she started drowning him I thought, "Oh I hope he doesn't pull a fake-out drown and Clarke gets got that way..." Welp, sure enough, it happened. It's just a very minour pet peeve.

Its literally the first time I see this trick pulled on TV. All of us have, at one point, seen someone getting drowned and told ourselves he should just fake death. But they never do. I for one, am glad they used this trick.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yeah I definitely got the impression that she thought he was dead, but that does raise the question of how it fooled her after she pulled the same trick 10 seconds earlier

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monicro posted:

Yeah I definitely got the impression that she thought he was dead, but that does raise the question of how it fooled her after she pulled the same trick 10 seconds earlier

It's because she still thinks she's a badass who knows what's up. Clarke is awesome, don't get me wrong, but she kind of lucked into her success. Clarke is intelligent, strong willed, strongly principled, and a natural leader. But she's up against people who have most of those traits, and had to fight tooth and nail to get where they are. Clarke was one of the smartest people on the drop-ship and had familial connections to the ark government. Clarke is just starting her transformation. She's embraced her brutality, in hunting not just animals, but other predators. She's embraced changes in her sexuality and possibly her sexual dominance. And she's ready to embrace herself as the hardened killer, but she's not even close to the hardest or the most experienced killer around. Clarke's ferocity might give her and edge with Indra, with Kendra, with Lexa, and with her mother, but it doesn't make her better at politics than Lexa or Abby, or better at fighting than Indra or Roan.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: S3 E3 Ye Who Enter Here

Clarke struggles with a decision; Bellamy finds that something is not what it seems; Murphy plans to betray his former chancellor.

Pretty vague. And I'd say the last bit already happened?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

hollylolly posted:

:siren: S3 E3 Ye Who Enter Here

Pretty vague. And I'd say the last bit already happened?

I hope it's in every episode summary this season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's Murphy. It's what he does. :shrug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lexa wouldn't know what the phrase "go float yourself" means Clarke.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
drat girl I love lexa

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Splat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!