Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I've been playing the galaxy trucker app in the bus and the pensioner in the next seat thought it was kinda cool and ask if it's timed and poo poo.

Sadly, he was too shy for me to get a proper gospel of Vlaada going on. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Applewhite posted:

Played Candyland with my kids last night. I'm a bit disappointed with the shallow game mechanics. The outcome of the game is predetermined and requires no input from the player whatsoever! 1/10 for mechanics, 3/10 for graphic design. The instructions were easy to understand and it helped my daughter learn about colors, moving forwards, and taking turns. So 5/10 for it being a good introduction to tabletop gaming I guess.

Candy land houserule: Draw 2 cards, pick one. Played this with my kids when they were 2. Learn colors, learn decision making, learn to look at the board.

The first time your kid picks a red over a double yellow which is impulsively better because they land on a shortcut, you will be so proud. Beyond that, every time they have to read the super simple board state to see which color is better for where they are.

Gives you something to do with that game cause grandma bought it because she knows how you love board game.

Move to castle panic and 3-4, and flash point at 4-5.

Ask my about gaming with toddlers through teenagers.

Edit: Another Candyland rule you can use, you can play the dessert cards (the ones that send you to a space) on yourself or another player, its not a difficult decision but it prevents the leader from getting send back to the start and blissfully lowers the length of the game.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 1, 2016

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Gutter Owl posted:

This is my second biggest gripe with MR (after the search tables, ahead of the teaching difficulty). For a game of such supposed scale, the standard game just ends too drat fast. 28 turns just isn't enough to explore, when over half those turns are "hide-hide-move-move" and another quarter are "spam rolls at the search or trade/hire tables."

That said, 28 days can take 4+ hours to play in a face-to-face game. Time is your most valuable resource, and a lot of the strategy is knowing where you can take a chance to save yourself a phase or two. It can be very frustrating; however, to waste three days at a treasure site looking for a 5 on the locate table.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
I bought the Mayday "Almost a penny" sleeves to do Trains and Trains: Rising Sun with... Yeah, they suck really bad. They are very slick, which is okay since each deck is small I guess, but the main problem is the cut. For every pack I opened they would be a different size. So once I was done and had it all inserted back into the box, you can see how bad it is. Some of the sleeves fit perfectly, then you have a row of 100 sleeves that stick out almost a 1/4 of an inch. If you wanted to bother cheating I'm sure you could tell where in your deck where specific cards are if you tried. I've really considered cutting them down to size, but it's pretty hard to do it evenly. Oh well, I really didn't want to spend more than the game on sleeves. So they work I suppose.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Any good boardgame podcasts? I drive a lot for work and it'd be nice to listen to something in the car.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bombadilillo posted:

Candy land houserule: Draw 2 cards, pick one. Played this with my kids when they were 2. Learn colors, learn decision making, learn to look at the board.

The first time your kid picks a red over a double yellow which is impulsively better because they land on a shortcut, you will be so proud. Beyond that, every time they have to read the super simple board state to see which color is better for where they are.

Gives you something to do with that game cause grandma bought it because she knows how you love board game.

Move to castle panic and 3-4, and flash point at 4-5.

Ask my about gaming with toddlers through teenagers.

Edit: Another Candyland rule you can use, you can play the dessert cards (the ones that send you to a space) on yourself or another player, its not a difficult decision but it prevents the leader from getting send back to the start and blissfully lowers the length of the game.

holy poo poo do a full writeup about gaming with toddlers through teenagers, there are a whole lotta parents (including me) that want something like that.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

QnoisX posted:

I bought the Mayday "Almost a penny" sleeves to do Trains and Trains: Rising Sun with... Yeah, they suck really bad. They are very slick, which is okay since each deck is small I guess, but the main problem is the cut. For every pack I opened they would be a different size. So once I was done and had it all inserted back into the box, you can see how bad it is. Some of the sleeves fit perfectly, then you have a row of 100 sleeves that stick out almost a 1/4 of an inch. If you wanted to bother cheating I'm sure you could tell where in your deck where specific cards are if you tried. I've really considered cutting them down to size, but it's pretty hard to do it evenly. Oh well, I really didn't want to spend more than the game on sleeves. So they work I suppose.

As excited as I am about the new Dominion expansion, as the owner of 3600 Mayday premium sleeves I'm dreading buying 6 more packs and hoping they remotely resemble what I already have.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Anyone have some words about Omega Centauri? I remember one person mentioned it and that it really played like a race for resources and position in the wake of (our under the shadow of, don't remember) a space empire. Would you call it a 4x game or is it something different?

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Poopy Palpy posted:

As excited as I am about the new Dominion expansion, as the owner of 3600 Mayday premium sleeves I'm dreading buying 6 more packs and hoping they remotely resemble what I already have.

So far I haven't had any issues with their premium sleeves, but I rarely buy them. Mostly just for games that use a small number of cards, like Love Letter and Lost Legacy. I did get Ultra Pro matte sleeves for Legendary Encounters and they're pretty great. No size issues and they shuffle so well. Kinda wish I could have convinced myself to get them for Trains too. Just so nice! But yeah, don't bother with penny sleeves. Spend that extra $1 per pack for regulars at least.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

disperse posted:

That said, 28 days can take 4+ hours to play in a face-to-face game. Time is your most valuable resource, and a lot of the strategy is knowing where you can take a chance to save yourself a phase or two. It can be very frustrating; however, to waste three days at a treasure site looking for a 5 on the locate table.

Or six days on the ruins waiting for the loving goblins to finally show up.

Granted, that's in solo Realmspeak. Solo seems to really exacerbate the luck problems. Searches take longer, and the monster appearances are less reliable, because only one tile on the map is checking for spawns.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

QnoisX posted:

So far I haven't had any issues with their premium sleeves, but I rarely buy them. Mostly just for games that use a small number of cards, like Love Letter and Lost Legacy. I did get Ultra Pro matte sleeves for Legendary Encounters and they're pretty great. No size issues and they shuffle so well. Kinda wish I could have convinced myself to get them for Trains too. Just so nice! But yeah, don't bother with penny sleeves. Spend that extra $1 per pack for regulars at least.

When I buy a bunch of sleeves they're usually pretty internally consistent. Usually. But buying sets of sleeves for a single game over the course of 5 years or so has meant shuffling different production runs together, and sometimes it's pretty obvious.

Guys, if you're just getting into Dominion, don't try to sleeve it. When your base cards start looking ratty switch to the base cards from Intrigue. When those start to show their age pick up a copy of Base Cards. Your Kingdom Cards aren't going to wear out at anything resembling a similar rate as each stack is unlikely to be used in any given game. Learn from my mistakes. The only reason I don't practice what I preach is that I'd rather buy a few more sleeves from a lovely company than unsleeve all those cards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Re: sleeving dominion

I sleeved all of Dominion in penny sleeves. While they are on the slick side of things; dominion decks tend to stay relatively small and you've usually got "everyone else's turn" to shuffle during.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I'm probably weird on this, but I sleeve everything in Perfect Fits, they're cheap and come in packs of 100 and I haven't had any like split or anything. Shuffle fine as well.
They're supposed to be used for doublesleeving but they work fine for me.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 1, 2016

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I use cheap sleeves for Dominion. They show wear pretty quickly, so when the mood strikes I sometimes go through and resleeve some of the base cards (and sometimes random other cards from the kingdom we have out) so that you can't identify the top card of your deck (without actually meaning to, anyway).

I actually like how the really cheap sleeves shuffle - we just kind of split/mash/split/mash, and while it's probably not a very thorough randomization, it seems fine for the purpose and it's very very quick. I find the cheap slippery sleeves easier to "quick shuffle" than say, the nice sleeves we use for Magic drafts - but either are fine. With unsleeved cards, I guess you'd have to riffle? It seems like that would take forever and really slow the game down.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'm probably weird on this, but I sleeve everything in Perfect Fits, they're cheap and come in packs of 100 and I haven't had any like split or anything. Shuffle fine as well.
They're supposed to be used for doublesleeving but they work fine for me.

KMC perfect fits own and are probably the best 'penny sleeve' type around. I mostly ordered them for double sleeving legacy and modern poo poo that I don't even play anymore, but I would be happy to use them on their own for board games.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I used perfect fits for millennium blades which can see some pretty rough card handling because real-time, haven't had one fail yet.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Andarel posted:

I used perfect fits for millennium blades which can see some pretty rough card handling because real-time, haven't had one fail yet.

Is that out already? I haven't been following the kickstarter and it's just easier for me in the UK to get it in shops.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Andarel posted:

Huh wha? MB hasn't shipped has it???

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Playtester. It's the only game I used perfect fits for, but they served me well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Andarel posted:

Playtester. It's the only game I used perfect fits for, but they served me well.

How is it? I didn't back but it's intriguing if for no reason other than how ambitious it is.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Andarel posted:

SO is the game actually good? What is the play experience like?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I double sleeved my entire copy of Battlecon : Devastation of Indines. I use ultra pro platinums on standard sized cards and kmc perfect fits on anything where the insert is an issue.

On a related note: designers rely need to account for sleeved cards in their inserts. I want to protect my game, but it's difficult to store it without tossing an insert. Board games are in finite quantities, especially in the future, so I'd rather not replace the entire game if someone spills a drink on like 10 of my cards.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It's about as good as Argent, which is a good thing :)

Definitely an ambitious game and we had a lot of fun playing it, though there rough edges that needed to be fine tuned. I don't think it's for everybody but I backed it with no regrets and I'll definitely be playing it a fair bit.

The theme is very silly and we didn't mess around with all the player characters but it plays perfectly well without them. The short game's mini tournament at the start was pretty bad, though - there's gameplay in the tournament round but not as much as in the collection round and the naked decks were kinda boring. I hear they were working on fixing that somewhat for final release.

My only real gripe is that first play is really rough because you are seeing so many new cards and need to buy boosters without knowing what cards make up each pack. I heard they were adding a rough reference, but first game's really a throw away.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

PSA: Krang character back in stock at CSI for Mage Knight. Don't pay some shitbird $90 for a single character & cards~

The General
Mar 4, 2007

First game of everything is a throw away IMHO. You're learning the game and seeing how stuff interacts. Why people waste so much time on AP trying to figure out what they haven't seen?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was playing a game for the first time and he asks what's a good strategy. I have no earthly idea! We're both playing this game for the first time! Let's play and figure it out!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hauki posted:

PSA: Krang character back in stock at CSI for Mage Knight. Don't pay some shitbird $90 for a single character & cards~

Worth getting? I'm by no means a completionist or collector, but if he's a really unique character I'll pick him up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bottom Liner posted:

Worth getting? I'm by no means a completionist or collector, but if he's a really unique character I'll pick him up.

Krang is probably my favourite Mage Knight. He has some interesting mechanics.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Krang is probably my favourite Mage Knight. He has some interesting mechanics.

Yeah, I don't actually own it yet because it's been out of stock/print for a while, but this is all I hear.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The General posted:

First game of everything is a throw away IMHO. You're learning the game and seeing how stuff interacts. Why people waste so much time on AP trying to figure out what they haven't seen?

Think about it this way:

You are presented with 15 decks of cards. You're told "you have 5 minutes to draw a total of 10 cards from these 15 decks, and use those cards to win the game."

How would you proceed?

For some people, it's really easy. But other people kinda want to have an idea what they might be getting into when they make a choice as opposed to playing entirely at random. Including a reference for what sort of cards is in each deck will help a lot, and they were working on that for final release. If not, BGG will definitely have a few.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Me? I will look at my limited pool and in a timely manner mash 10 of them together and see how it all works. Next game, I will be better equipped to make thoughtful decisions, and have an actual strategy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I gotta give an endorsement for Blood Rage. Easy to learn and super aggressive. Love it

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

I double sleeved my entire copy of Battlecon : Devastation of Indines. I use ultra pro platinums on standard sized cards and kmc perfect fits on anything where the insert is an issue.

On a related note: designers rely need to account for sleeved cards in their inserts. I want to protect my game, but it's difficult to store it without tossing an insert. Board games are in finite quantities, especially in the future, so I'd rather not replace the entire game if someone spills a drink on like 10 of my cards.

I was thinking about this the other day, because CGE actually bothered to put another set of slots into the new Through The Ages insert for people that sleeve their cards. It's one of the best inserts I've seen for a boardgame in a while.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

taser rates posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, because CGE actually bothered to put another set of slots into the new Through The Ages insert for people that sleeve their cards. It's one of the best inserts I've seen for a boardgame in a while.

Seriously, Czech Games Edition is like the model board game company, even before you add in the Vlaada factor. Everything they produce is so well-designed on a material level.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Yeah, now if they had only bothered to pick a card size for which sleeves actually exist...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

signalnoise posted:

I gotta give an endorsement for Blood Rage. Easy to learn and super aggressive. Love it

How is it compared to Chaos in the Old World?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Different, because there are no built-in asymmetries. Doesn't feel as tight - card draft makes it pretty freeform and you pick up your strategy based on what you think is interesting and good out of the pool you see. Quality-wise, they're pretty comparable though.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
What's the deal with the Blood Rage kickstarter exclusives? Wasn't there one that people said was essential for the game? Is it still obtainable?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Fenrir is about as close as you get to an essential - knowing whether he's in the game or not is a pretty important thing because he dramatically changes the Ragnarok dynamic. The rest of 'em are nice, but certainly not essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

What's the deal with the Blood Rage kickstarter exclusives? Wasn't there one that people said was essential for the game? Is it still obtainable?

I played it at first with no exclusives at all and it felt just fine.

FulsomFrank posted:

How is it compared to Chaos in the Old World?

Never played it so I can't comment

It's ultimately a very simple game. The idea is that you get an advantage for pillaging an unpillaged zone, and there's limited space on the zone, so you create a situation where if someone contests you they will lose. Cards are used to present an upper hand when you're outmanned, so you can turn a losing fight into a fight that you win. You try to keep momentum by dominating the board, but this is balanced by the fact that you also want to lose as many units as you can when the chosen zone of the round blows up.

Pillage without losing your poo poo-> Don't lose fights-> Be the last person standing and die gloriously (for bonus points)

The game presents oodles of ways to force conflict, and if you aren't fighting, you're losing. Good stuff.