Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

axeil posted:

you joke, but i bet we'd see a constitutional challenge to the income tax if it wasn't already enshrined as an amendment.

Well, yes, that's exactly why we have the amendment. To overturn a SCOTUS decision regarding income taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

you joke, but i bet we'd see a constitutional challenge to the income tax if it wasn't already enshrined as an amendment.

you joke, but people have tried to have amendments declared unconstitutional before

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

evilweasel posted:

you joke, but people have tried to have amendments declared unconstitutional before

I'd argue we already have done this, but that is because I think there is an implicit privacy protection in the 3rd.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

evilweasel posted:

Aren't there multiple things in the Constitution and the Amendments that are nearly dead letters due to their interpretation?

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Not My Leg posted:

This is just weird, because I'm not sure what ability the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court actually has to order Probate Judges to do anything. Yes, he technically oversees the entire court system, but Probate Judges are elected officials, and they don't serve at the pleasure of the Chief Justice, they serve six year terms unless impeached. So, if they disobey Roy Moore's order, what's the consequence. He can't do anything about it.

He can't. I haven't seen a response to this, but per the LA Times

quote:

Significantly, Moore’s latest order seems to have had little impact on the availability of marriage licenses throughout the state. According to the Montgomery Advertiser, only three probate courts reported stopping issuing marriage licenses last week. Most of the state’s 67 counties are issuing licenses to all couples.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

see, e.g.,

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rygar201 posted:

Aren't there multiple things in the Constitution and the Amendments that are nearly dead letters due to their interpretation?

Yeah, but that's different than declaring them unconstitutional. People took a case all the way to the Supreme Court arguing that giving women the vote so contradicted the rest of the constitution that it was an unconstitutional constitutional amendment.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

gonna laugh for when this destroys unions and as a last measure the unions get every major corporation in america classified as lobbyists.

They aren't?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

People took a case all the way to the Supreme Court arguing that giving women the vote so contradicted the rest of the constitution that it was an unconstitutional constitutional amendment.

Justice Scalia attempted to respond on the petitioner's behalf.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012
SCOTUS has taken up Bob McDonnell's appeal. Apparently unexpected.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/688102584708501504

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gorilla Desperado posted:

SCOTUS has taken up Bob McDonnell's appeal. Apparently unexpected.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/688102584708501504

As noted in USPOL, it sounds like Roberts really wants to reinforce his "the only corruption is explicit quid pro quo caught on tape" jurisprudence, so McDonnell may well go free.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ComradeCosmobot posted:

As noted in USPOL, it sounds like Roberts really wants to reinforce his "the only corruption is explicit quid pro quo caught on tape" jurisprudence, so McDonnell may well go free.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
So according to ScotusBlog, apparently McDonnell's cert was limited to this question:

quote:

Whether “official action” under the controlling fraud statutes is limited to exercising actual governmental power, threatening to exercise such power, or pressuring others to exercise such power, and whether the jury must be so instructed; or, if not so limited, whether the Hobbs Act and honest-services fraud statute are unconstitutional.

So IANAL, but it looks like he's still going with the argument that he didn't carry out any "official act" for his businessman buddy. The lower court ruled that under the Hobbs Act the "act" doesn't necessarily need to be a final governmental action, but corruption exists so long as there is an expectation that influence will be used to grease the wheels.

At best we get a continuation of the stricter definition of corruption that the Roberts court has previously set out, and at worst, they rule that the government can't prosecute public corruption under the Commerce clause!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Jaunts posted:

, they rule that the government can't prosecute public corruption under the Commerce clause!

A dark part of me wants them to rule this way since gently caress it why bother hiding it anymore. Just make bribery legal and throw off the mask Roberts.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Mr Jaunts posted:

So according to ScotusBlog, apparently McDonnell's cert was limited to this question:

So IANAL, but it looks like he's still going with the argument that he didn't carry out any "official act" for his businessman buddy. The lower court ruled that under the Hobbs Act the "act" doesn't necessarily need to be a final governmental action, but corruption exists so long as there is an expectation that influence will be used to grease the wheels.

At best we get a continuation of the stricter definition of corruption that the Roberts court has previously set out, and at worst, they rule that the government can't prosecute public corruption under the Commerce clause!

I don't think it would be a commerce clause ruling. Rather it would probably be unconstitutionally vague. Basically, the argument is that the court should interpret this law to only criminalize final government action, but, if the court doesn't interpret it that way, then it should decide that it's unconstitutionally vague because it is too difficult for someone, in advance, to determine whether their planned conduct would be criminal under the law.

E: While I'm not necessarily agreeing with the argument in this particular case (I don't know enough about it) vagueness is an important concept in criminal law. Criminal laws should be drafted so that a person (or a person's attorney) can look at the law and say that X either is or is not criminal.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 16, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's ok so long as RBG frees Robert's face with a crowbar afterwards.

In reality we'll probably see Roberts rule along the lines of "lol gently caress you plebs and your desire to punish your betters."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bunch of decisions came down today.

First Montgomery v Louisiana http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-280_4h25.pdf

This tells louisiana to gently caress off that Miller is retroactive and they can't keep juveniles held for LWOP

Musacchio v. United States http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-1095_2d8f.pdf

Can't bring up a statute of limitations defense for the first time on appeal. Has to be brought up during the original trial. Also a sufficiency challenge does not depend on jury instruction whether right or wrong but whether the actual elements of the crime were satisfied.

Menominee Tribe v US http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-510_pm02.pdf

Basically they didn't file fast enough to get their money and the circumstances aren't extenuating so the SoL holds up and they don't get paid.

FERC v. Electric Power Supply Association http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-840_k537.pdf

FERC did nothing wrong quit whining bitches.

Melene James v City of Boise http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-493_5h26.pdf

This per curiam opinion is nothing but a smack down of the Idaho supreme court for saying that it wasn't bound by a SCOTUS deicision and improperly awarded fees under section 1988 without first verifying that the lawsuit was frivolous.

Amgen Inc v Steve Harris http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-278_2co3.pdf

Basically the 9th circuit hosed up the second time they decided this case because of Fifth Third's requirement that an alternative action must be presented in the original complaint in order to make a fiduciary duty claim regarding and employee stock option program. This now gets kicked all the way back to the district court and will depend on whether the lower court allows the complainants to add in the Fifth Third requirement that the 9th had misapplied. They make sure to say that the 9th's assumption of an alternative was good, but that it's not their job to add it in and it has to be in the complaint itself.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I think Montgomery might be the first pissed off Scalia dissent of the current term.

Scalia from Montgomery dissent posted:

Mission accomplished.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 25, 2016

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bunch of decisions came down today.

First Montgomery v Louisiana http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-280_4h25.pdf

This tells louisiana to gently caress off that Miller is retroactive and they can't keep juveniles held for LWOP

Musacchio v. United States http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-1095_2d8f.pdf

Can't bring up a statute of limitations defense for the first time on appeal. Has to be brought up during the original trial. Also a sufficiency challenge does not depend on jury instruction whether right or wrong but whether the actual elements of the crime were satisfied.

Menominee Tribe v US http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-510_pm02.pdf

Basically they didn't file fast enough to get their money and the circumstances aren't extenuating so the SoL holds up and they don't get paid.

FERC v. Electric Power Supply Association http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-840_k537.pdf

FERC did nothing wrong quit whining bitches.

Melene James v City of Boise http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-493_5h26.pdf

This per curiam opinion is nothing but a smack down of the Idaho supreme court for saying that it wasn't bound by a SCOTUS deicision and improperly awarded fees under section 1988 without first verifying that the lawsuit was frivolous.

Amgen Inc v Steve Harris http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-278_2co3.pdf

Basically the 9th circuit hosed up the second time they decided this case because of Fifth Third's requirement that an alternative action must be presented in the original complaint in order to make a fiduciary duty claim regarding and employee stock option program. This now gets kicked all the way back to the district court and will depend on whether the lower court allows the complainants to add in the Fifth Third requirement that the 9th had misapplied. They make sure to say that the 9th's assumption of an alternative was good, but that it's not their job to add it in and it has to be in the complaint itself.

Are any of these surprises or substantive changes? Forgive my ignorance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obdicut posted:

I think its all "Yes you have to follow this court's rulings/federal procedure/laws passed by congress why did you think otherwise"?

Really surprised the first one has a dissent and isn't a simple "If we rule something is not allowed, its not allowed full stop." Scalias gotta Scalia I guess

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Obdicut posted:

Not really. A lot of unanimous or per curiam (unsigned and unanimous, generally a way to say "way to gently caress up, idiot" to the lower court when its on the merits as it is here) decisions. First Montgomery looks to be the only vaugely interesting one.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Montgomery kinda surprises me given the court's recent "racism isn't real" stance

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

I think its all "Yes you have to follow this court's rulings/federal procedure/laws passed by congress why did you think otherwise"?

Really surprised the first one has a dissent and isn't a simple "If we rule something is not allowed, its not allowed full stop." Scalias gotta Scalia I guess

Scalia and Thomas argue that they don't have the constitutional jurisdiction to overturn a sentence in this case.

Someone should compare it to his dissent from Roper. That was a good read from what I recall.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

Not really. A lot of unanimous or per curiam (unsigned and unanimous, generally a way to say "way to gently caress up, idiot" to the lower court when its on the merits as it is here) decisions. First Montgomery looks to be the only vaugely interesting one.

Don't forget we can't let the Canadians get ahead of us and are finding new ways to gently caress native americans. First we tell them to privatize their healthcare and we'll pay them for it. Then we just don't pay them and tell them it's their fault they didn't get paid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don't forget we can't let the Canadians get ahead of us and are finding new ways to gently caress native americans. First we tell them to privatize their healthcare and we'll pay them for it. Then we just don't pay them and tell them it's their fault they didn't get paid.

Being denied a claim because of some crazy arbitrary conditions in your policy is American healthcare in a nutshell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Being denied a claim because of some crazy arbitrary conditions in your policy is American healthcare in a nutshell.

They were denied the claim because statutory deadline to file the claim had passed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Much as the result may be unpleasant, a unanimous decision generally means it's a pretty cut and dried legal issue.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

quote:

Melene James v City of Boise http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...15-493_5h26.pdf

This one's pro click because holy lol even if you're the Idaho Supreme Court and thus lords of your own two thousand mile frozen wilderness why would you ever put that sequence of words in a sentence that SCOTUS will read.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

Much as the result may be unpleasant, a unanimous decision generally means it's a pretty cut and dried legal issue.

The decision was "were really sorry that you had some incredibly lovely legal counsel that cost you tons of money, but we have no way to reverse this"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ayn rand hand job posted:

The decision was "were really sorry that you had some incredibly lovely legal counsel that cost you tons of money, but we have no way to reverse this"

That's the way I read it as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm really interested in the Montgomery/Miller decision. My feeble grasp of law made me assume you couldn't retroactively apply laws and that they had appealed before Miller was handed down? Could someone break it down (or point me to a SCOTUSblog post that will simplify it for me?)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

I'm really interested in the Montgomery/Miller decision. My feeble grasp of law made me assume you couldn't retroactively apply laws and that they had appealed before Miller was handed down? Could someone break it down (or point me to a SCOTUSblog post that will simplify it for me?)

It's not retroactively applying a law. It's retroactively applying a decision about what the constitution means to cases decided before that decision.

Generally speaking a constitutional decision is always retroactive. If something violates your first amendment rights, it always violated it: the first amendment was there at the time. But there's a special exception for procedure issues: where the Court comes up with a new procedure of criminal law (i.e., reading people their miranda rights). If the procedure wasn't known before nobody could have followed it and you'd have to redo every single conviction, which is unworkable. So the Court came up with a rule that those sorts of decisions only apply retroactively.

At issue was if sentencing minors to life without parole automatically is a procedure that doesn't get retroactivity, or if it's a more standard right that is retroactive.

There is no ex post facto issue becaue this is retroactively removing criminal punishment. Ex post facto is only an issue when you retroactively criminalize something. Congress could pass a law retroactively voiding, for example, weed laws so that even if you committed a crime when it was a crime suddenly it's no longer a crime. That has no ex post facto issues, because it's not retroactively criminalizing something.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

FilthyImp posted:

It's not a retroactive application of law: this isn't the passing of a new statute, it's a determination that the sentencing was unconstitutional, and therefore should never have happened in the first place. Basically it was "always" illegal but we only determined this now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Nice! posted:

my 10th amendment :cry:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bel_Canto posted:

it's a determination that the sentencing was unconstitutional, and therefore should never have happened in the first place.

evilweasel posted:

Congress could pass a law retroactively voiding, for example, weed laws so that even if you committed a crime when it was a crime suddenly it's no longer a crime. That has no ex post facto issues, because it's not retroactively criminalizing something.

Thanks for the effort posts you two. That clears up where I was wrong.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ayn rand hand job posted:

I think Montgomery might be the first pissed off Scalia dissent of the current term.

Even better, it was a 6-3 opinion with Roberts being the one who joined the 5 liberal justices. :yayclod:

I know it's too much to hope that Roberts has broken in some way after the ACA ruling and the poo poo the right piled on him for it but if he'd get pushed left by the fringe right wing assholes it'd be a small start for him to make up for his other terrible rulings.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

WASHINGTON — When the Supreme Court returns from its winter break this month, it will hear two minor cases and reach a major anniversary. Unless something very surprising happens during the arguments that day, Justice Clarence Thomas will have gone 10 years without asking a question from the bench.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/u...WT.nav=top-news

Also, it bears mentioning that this should now be the SCOTUS Thread 2016.

For what it's worth, I'd prefer personally that we keep the same thread, I have no idea what this SA's obsession is, particularly D&D's, with constantly changing threads over at this point. Please let me use my User Control Panel as God intended, instead of making me sift through D&D's "all megathreads for everything, all the time" setup. That'll be your public service announcement, on with the scheduled thread.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 1, 2016

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
It's nice to clear out all the cruft every once in a while, and the new year is a convenient time to do that.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

For what it's worth, I'd prefer personally that we keep the same thread, I have no idea what this SA's obsession is, particularly D&D's, with constantly changing threads over at this point. Please let me use my User Control Panel as God intended, instead of making me sift through D&D's "all megathreads for everything, all the time" setup. That'll be your public service announcement, on with the scheduled thread.

Basically, it's for the benefit of lurkers/newbies, who are more willing to get in a thread when they don't feel like they need to read 170 pages to understand it. It makes sense for a thread that moves as fast as USPOL, and less so for a thread that moves much slower than it like this one.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even better, it was a 6-3 opinion with Roberts being the one who joined the 5 liberal justices. :yayclod:

I know it's too much to hope that Roberts has broken in some way after the ACA ruling and the poo poo the right piled on him for it but if he'd get pushed left by the fringe right wing assholes it'd be a small start for him to make up for his other terrible rulings.

I think he is just like Boehner to Scalia's House Freedom Caucus. He knows that to succeed in politics you need to have some cloak of general reasonableness, especially when all branches are not controlled by your party. I'd love to be proven wrong and find out he's a reasonable swing vote like Kennedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jethro posted:

It's nice to clear out all the cruft every once in a while, and the new year term is a convenient time to do that.

Let's not change thread horses in mid term.