Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deliberately triggering enemy reinforcements to get more kills? Pride goeth before a fall, Beagle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah because he knows this playthrough is already done for. He's lost what, 7 or 8 soldiers, sold all of his supplies that he previously said were crucial, and hasn't expanded any territory despite nearly meeting the lose condition.

He knows he's delaying the inevitable loss. Maybe Project Avatar has some awesome impossible mission that he wants to show the beginning of while his troops are slaughtered.
Honestly, now that he's got mag weapons up and running and some acceptably leveled troops, he might be able to pull it off if the Doom Tracker doesn't kill him first.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Deliberately triggering enemy reinforcements to get more kills? Pride goeth before a fall, Beagle!

HO HO HO HO

Can i just say, as someone who didn't play EU/EW in English, that i loving love Council Guy's "COMMANDUURRR"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

HenryEx posted:

HO HO HO HO

Can i just say, as someone who didn't play EU/EW in English, that i loving love Council Guy's "COMMANDUURRR"

AND REMEMBER, WE'LL BE WATCHING

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

PBS Newshour posted:

Yeah, missed shots always hosed over the aliens for me, they always ended up shooting some vehicle near their guys and boom!

I knew it was a thing in OG XCOM but don't really recall it happening in EU/EW, other than blowing up gas pumps and cars you were taking cover with.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Crosspeice posted:

That was the best loving miss in the world
Someone needs to gif the gently caress out of htat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Unlucky7 posted:

I knew it was a thing in OG XCOM but don't really recall it happening in EU/EW, other than blowing up gas pumps and cars you were taking cover with.

Pay attention to the background when you get the shot cam, typically you see miss shots loving up some cover in the distance somewhere

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sober posted:

Someone needs to gif the gently caress out of htat.

Instant OP material from the sounds of things

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I quite like the "Remember that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer" quote in the chat when he set off the beacon.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Missed shots could cause collateral damage in the first one, it's seared into my memory ever since I accidentally got one of my soldiers killed with an errant sniper shot that set a car on fire

For me it's the many, many times a soldier missed and hit a meld cannister that the aliens weren't even hiding behind.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Bremen posted:

For me it's the many, many times a soldier missed and hit a meld cannister that the aliens weren't even hiding behind.

Yup.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I really liked the X-Com MECs in Enemy Within, but I can't deny that the ADVENT mech troopers (do they still count as MECs?) look great too. They look like Apple's foray into the field of robotic soldiers. iMec.

Man I wish we had MEC suits again instead of the exoskeleton. :C

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How is Beagle losing this campaign when he's steamrolling every mission? Only been watching for like two hours so I dunno what happened before.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PBS Newshour posted:

Pay attention to the background when you get the shot cam, typically you see miss shots loving up some cover in the distance somewhere

I remember from one of Beagle's December streams, one such miss resulted in his soldier setting the car against which he was leaning on fire, which meant he used up all his turn, car explodes, soldier dead.

So yea, I am deffo gonna watch the gently caress out for that myself, by the sounds of things.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So turns out when the Avatar project maxes out you get a timer, it's not an instant loss.

Shade over 18 days on legendary.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dammit, Beagle, stop toying with my emotions!

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

The Iron Rose posted:

So turns out when the Avatar project maxes out you get a timer, it's not an instant loss.

e;fb

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The Iron Rose posted:

Shade over 18 days on legendary.

Did people really think Beagle of all people didn't know what he was doing?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 31, 2022

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bremen posted:

Did people really think Beagle of all people didn't know what he was doing?

Lol, he knows quite a lot, and deffo has a knack for learning, but there's a reason people say 'beagleluck' and it sure as poo poo isn't because he does everything right ever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Man, just looking at that clock is stressful. The minutes seem to be ticking by so fast, though objectively you've got quite a long time.

e: Sid and Jake showing up as potential recruits! Hype.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh, Beagle. :allears:

Oh god that timer is freaking me out. :aaa:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Internet Kraken posted:

How is Beagle losing this campaign when he's steamrolling every mission? Only been watching for like two hours so I dunno what happened before.
There were several missions where he was just bailing because he was getting destroyed. Lost everyone but one on a terror mission and evac'd, then ran out of a Dark Event mission too. At one point he said he was under-leveled for where he usually is, too, which is keeping his squadsize down. He might, might be getting his feet underneath him again though.

halwain
May 31, 2011
I really want to see what happens when the avatar project is completed.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

So the research you get from studying ADVENT mech troopers includes... BSODs. That's pretty great.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

He lost a few missions very, very badly.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't watched the whole thing either, but playing the original on Legendary early on before I knew what was going on I could really screw myself on the strategic layer, even if I had been pretty solid on the tactical maps.

This is even easier when playing the Long War mod.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

splifyphus posted:

Several missions steamrolled him.

Ravenfood posted:

There were several missions where he was just bailing because he was getting destroyed. Lost everyone but one on a terror mission and evac'd, then ran out of a Dark Event mission too. At one point he said he was under-leveled for where he usually is, too, which is keeping his squadsize down. He might, might be getting his feet underneath him again though.

Man I missed all the fun stuff :(

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

splifyphus posted:

Several missions steamrolled him.

He lost 3 squad members, spent everything he had to replace them, and then lost 4 out of 5 some two missions later. He had barely any personnel and dropped all of his supplies to recruit new guys. He is winning fairly easily now but looks like he's really far behind in the game.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just you wait, something's going to happen to totally dick him over and he'll lose a powerful soldier or two and be unable to ace the Blacksite like he wanted. Dance too close to the fire and you get burned. Even when you're Beagle.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm hoping he is gonna lose on purpose, cause I am pretty curious what happens if you lose. But he's gotta a pretty good campaign going, so I suppose it's not worth throwing it all away.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

splifyphus posted:

The whole playthrough is being auto-archived here, if you wanna watch earlier stuff. He's almost 8 hours in at this point.

Thanks, mister!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Building an experimental grenade and getting Acid was a pretty nice stroke of luck.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Lol, he knows quite a lot, and deffo has a knack for learning, but there's a reason people say 'beagleluck' and it sure as poo poo isn't because he does everything right ever.

"Beagleluck" is because people are loving idiots, not because he's lucky.

Beagleluck: Missing a 96% sniper shot, but gets a very cinematic miss
Beagleluck: Accidentally stumbling over a single lone soldier that got separated from his pod due to geometry upon spawn, ruining an amazing ambush and causing him to EVAC out immediately
Beagleluck: Yellow-moving backwards to retreat, and a stunlancer still runs out of the fog-of-war and one-hits his troops

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I think that opening a door revealing a pod and ruining concealment is still the most "That's XCOM2" moment thus far.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This is Grenade-Com for him at this point.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lotish posted:

This is Grenade-Com for him at this point.

This is getting into Zinchenko territory, yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 31, 2022