Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Evil Fluffy's got it. A guardian is very reliant on their healer. Tanking in a nutshell: tank keeps healer alive, healer keeps tank alive, DPS classes go gently caress themselves. If you're going down too fast it can be hard to tell whether the weak link is you or your healer.

Eventually, your armour rating alone will max out your physical mitigations, but for tactical mitigations you'll have to put specific thought into your setup. Grind deeds that grant you tac mit virtue traits, and look out for tac mit on gear. If I recall correctly, your mitigations are maxed at about 17k points each, after which any points you put into it are wasted. Vitality's important because it gives you defensive stats as well as morale (more per point than other classes), but reducing how hard you get hit is always better than just boosting your morale, because it makes things easier on your healer. Use a 1-hander in blue line with a heavy shield; get some spikes for it if you have any trouble with aggro. I believe weaponsmiths craft them.

I mean, there's of course way more to it but if you're running in a well-balanced team that's appropriate for the content, tanking as a guard is a fairly straightforward affair. You should read strategy guides for instances, though, because you have to adjust what you're doing depending on what you're running and it's not always obvious what you have to do (it's never obvious what you have to do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I used to two man with my burglar and a guardian, that was actually pretty effective.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Oh yeah, of course! There are tons of strategies that work really well. As a guard, I loved to duo with pretty much anyone who was able to bring the DPS. Regular questline content just melts.

It's a little disheartening logging in now, though; I was pretty well-geared back when Pelargir dropped, but now my morale is dang piddly and I don't have the time or inclination to fix it. :( Yet.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

So I've been doing the Kingstead quests on my 86 red line Mini and I keep dying. My gear is mostly l 85 hear that you get from the Edoras quests with the exception of one or two items which I got from East Rohan l 85 quests. Quest Mobs are routinely hitting for 1-2k morale, and quest bosses are hitting for 2-4k each hit. I got lucky with one or two of them with the piercing cry crit, and that's the only way I've been able to beat quest bosses. Considering my morale pool is already low (something like 7 or 8k) is there something I'm missing here? I've switched some of my virtues to the mitigation-oriented ones, but that has had relatively little effect.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I hit a few speedbumps when I started West Rohan on my mini, too. I had gotten very used to being able to faceroll pretty much any content within a few levels with some fairly basic kiting techniques and skill rotations. West Rohan almost seemed designed to force me to learn actual strategies! My progress slowed down considerably compared to previously (however: still lightning fast in comparison to either guardian or hunter, the other two classes I've brought through West Rohan).

I wish I could tell you a magic trait arrangement that would solve your problems, but for me it was largely a combination of a bunch of small things and just plain getting used to things not falling down in three seconds. By small things, I mean choosing my LI legacies carefully, and starting to make actual use of some skills that I didn't need to worry about before. The rest of this post is me rattling stuff off the top of my head, maybe some of it will be useful to you.

Make sure you have the cooldown reduction legacy for chord of salvation. That five seconds is huge when we're talking about your major mobile heal. Increase your AOE targets. Reduce heal skills induction time. Extend anthem duration. Increase damage on damage skills, blah blah blah.

If you're not using your "side" skills, start. Cry of the Chorus has use outside of voice-lock debuffs; it grants you three damage buffs instantly, so you can use it right after your coda to get your anthem back up. Traited right, your coda has a chance to reset your cry of the chorus as well. Trait up so that your piercing cry has a chance to stun. Use the invocation of elbereth on a monster that isn't bleeding to send them away for a bit while you deal with the rest (warning: iwhen the fear wears off, the mob will pull nearby mobs to fight you). Don't be in a huge hurry all the time to use your coda; sometimes it's better to hold onto the ballads and anthems. Pay attention to the debuffs your skills apply to your targets and the buffs they give to you, and take advantage of them. I don't think there's a really good guide that's fully up-to-date on all of the ways your skills interact with one another, so mouse-over your skills and read their effects, and same thing for your skill trees. I think I spent some points in yellow for my red-line mini; I believe that's where you can increase the number of debuffs your story of courage removes. Very valuable.

Have potions handy always; the strongest you can get your hands on. Eat foods.

Take advantage of opportunities to use your stationary heals even when you don't need a heal right that second.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I am only about to hit the 50s, but does anyone have a good & thorough guide on Legendary items he could point me to? I have to admit that everything beyond re-forging items seems a little overwhelming right now.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Wow I am just not able to play past level 75 I guess. As soon as I get to an area with enemies, I am hit with game freezing lag. Tried transferring to another server and playing another character on a third and same thing each time. This sucks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jack's Flow posted:

I am only about to hit the 50s, but does anyone have a good & thorough guide on Legendary items he could point me to? I have to admit that everything beyond re-forging items seems a little overwhelming right now.

Get a new one every few levels and upgrade the damage first. Nothing else matters while leveling, really.

There's no point building a decent weapon until cap, by which point you'll probably have it figured out.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

sassassin posted:

Get a new one every few levels and upgrade the damage first. Nothing else matters while leveling, really.

There's no point building a decent weapon until cap, by which point you'll probably have it figured out.

Alright, sounds straightforward enough. Thanks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Once you hit 95 (maybe 85?) you'll want to start taking LIs to 30+ for the legacy scrolls, that way when you do make some level 100 first age LIs you have the legacy scrolls you want/need for making your ideal LIs. You could probably do something similar for bridles but I have no idea how much those matter for mounted combat these days.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

You'll be mostly working with purple 3rd Age LIs. Keep your eyes open for the superior teal 2nd Agers, or the far superior gold 1st Agers. Always dump your 3rd Ager for a 2nd or 1st Ager when the opportunity presents itself. 1st Age > 2nd Age > 3rd Age.

Generally speaking, you'll decon your current 3rd Age LI every 5 levels or so when your character levels to 50, 55, 60, etc. for a new 3rd Ager of the appropriate level. Keep 1st & 2nd Agers until a new one of those falls in your lap or you can find a helpful goon to forge one for you.

You'll have 5 LI slots you can equip LIs to on the LI interface. You'll have a lot of 3rd agers drop for you, and you'll equip the ones for your class to the open slots, leveling each one to at least 31 so that you can get a free Legacy when you decon it. Decon all of the 3rd agers that drop for other classes for the juicy relics inside. You want those relics! Deconning trash LIs is a money sink and it's tedious as hell, but you'll be glad you did it when it comes time to build your personal ultimate weapon and fill it's 4 relic slots with some great stat boosters. This is also why you want to level reputation with a crafting guild- so that you can make your own BoP crafted relics(which will always be better than the unbound ones you can buy) and so that you can forge your own 1st & 2nd Agers too.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 3, 2016

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Great stuff, thanks a lot guys.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

XCOM 2 launches tonight at 9 PM, so I'll see you all in six weeks.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also if you're a Beorning getting the LI ability that returns wrath on attacking is pretty much required

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jack's Flow posted:

Great stuff, thanks a lot guys.

If Filikul (turtle) is something you can enter (it has no level requirement now iirc?) you should poke some level 100 goons when you see them online. That instance gives tokens that you can trade in for level 60 first age LIs and should be doable by 1-2 level 100 characters. For a lot of classes the level 60 LI is good enough to use until 85+ since percent-based legacies aren't affected by levels like raw point-value ones are and so the extra legacy points make it better that a higher level 3rd or 2nd age class item while leveling.

Plus the instance can sometimes drop 1st or 2nd age LIs so if you're lucky you might get one of those too.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I tried to solo turtle on my 100 guardian to get a level 60 1st age for my RK, but forgot about the stacking acid damage from Profuse Bleeding. I think I burned down about 200k HP before Profuse Bleeding started to hit me for like 5k per tick. Sounds like a duo would be the only way to go unless you have a Warden.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like coming back. I don't know what burned me out but I want to finish Minas Tirith finally.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

ruffz posted:

I tried to solo turtle on my 100 guardian to get a level 60 1st age for my RK, but forgot about the stacking acid damage from Profuse Bleeding. I think I burned down about 200k HP before Profuse Bleeding started to hit me for like 5k per tick. Sounds like a duo would be the only way to go unless you have a Warden.

If this becomes an actual run, I want in. Osrandir is just shy of 61 as of today.. with 2 zones and 6 epic quest lines still left in Moria. Are there prerequisites?

Lars fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 5, 2016

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I should hit 52 today, and I think I'll cancel all of my Angmar quests for now. I hate that zone just as much as I hated it 8 years ago. When something is no fun, it's time to move on. On the other hand, I spent several hours rekindling my love affair with Goblin-Town.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If there are people needing turtle runs I can help with it later tonight or maybe tomorrow evening.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Interesting "first look "video for a new player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PqXELxO5LI

Yeah, typical youtuber, I've seen worse though. But might be useful for people thinking of joining up. In general he likes it though. Server d/c's plague him a bit, and obviously he doesn't get to the newer stuff too much (where the zones look even better, and legendary items).

Anywhos, planning on popping back in tonight! Mostly done with WoW now. Also I'm happy to help with Turtle runs (100 Hunter) if I have the time (depends, based on family poo poo).

Now that we're on a populated server, I wouldn't mind dipping into some group content. How are the 2 new BBs? Do people still do Pelargir BB? What about the instances that came a bit ago? I never found a group to do them with, not sure if people would really let me join, especially if they're doing the harder versions.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The acid damage starts hitting like a truck if you don't have somebody else there to bounce the DoT off to. I'd imagine the battle would be a cakewalk with a partner that's like level 80 or above. The other ways to get a Bright Emblem of Nimrodel seem very difficult (if not impossible) to solo. Watcher is a step up from Turtle, and in DN you'd be lucky to get past the first pack of trash mobs without a friend.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wow, Minas Tirith is loving huge, and I've only seen the first two circles. I get that inner circles will get progressively smaller, but still. Pretty swank.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wanted to say thanks to Ioanorth-poo poo-I-forget-your-characters-name for the armor. I greatly appreciate it, and I am mining Ancient Iron Ore now, so when I've got a good bit I'll mail it to ya.

Siddhartha Glutamate fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 6, 2016

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Wow, Minas Tirith is loving huge, and I've only seen the first two circles. I get that inner circles will get progressively smaller, but still. Pretty swank.

They really took their time and did it justice, that's a good part of the reason that this latest update is excellent in my opinion.

I don't know how many of you have been doing the Bingo Boffin episodic content, but this is a fantastic addition to the game and I hope there's more stuff like it coming soon. Side questlines that have you exploring the world really help to remind you just how beautiful the environment is.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I made an effort post on the official forums, curious about how to continue gearing. Some of the Minas Tirth quests where you have to fight 3 guys at once gave me a run for my money.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?598690-What-is-the-current-path-for-gear-progression-What-numbers-are-good-benchmarks-for-stats

Here's the post, if any of you guys have answers, I'd appreciate it:

quote:

Hey all, I'm confused about gear, and wanting to know how to currently progress. Here's what I currently have:

15,403 morale
CR 14.5k (28% crit, 9.9% dev, 32.7% mag)
Finesse 15k (27.8%)
PM 45.9k (162.4%)

Resistance 7.6k
Phys 15.7k (45.6%)
Tact 10.5k (36.2%)

My gear is "of the liberator" 192 teal set, Mostly 192 teal jewelry, 1 yellow 176 earring, and I have imbued legacies and a teal sword for offhand.

So, I feel my DPS is kinda okay, but with only 15k morale, if I get 2 or 3 mobs on me (and plenty of the Minas Tirith quests have spots with 2 or 3 mobs), I take a ton of damage even in the time it takes to fear/root some. On quests where I have to interact to start the fight, it's even closer.

I've done all the quests up to Minas Tirith stuff (and still doing them now). So I have the rest of this update to get quest rewards from. I'm just not sure what to do for various slots. I think I have ideas, but there's no up-to-date guides around these days for LOTRO, so want to make sure I have this correct.

I have the Dol Amroth set gear. After that is it the DA essence gear (ugh, tired of those dailies, not to mention the essence grind)? Then the Osgiliath instance cluster gear? I don't know if I could even set foot into them without blowing up, and everyone only seems to do T2C, and I don't want to drag the group down. But if I could skip even more DA dailies, that'd be great.

For jewelry, do people just run BBs for stars and get yellow jewelry? How are the new BBs - can I enter them without dragging down a group again? Do they provide any newer gear over old BBs?

And just in general, as in the title - what are some good %s to try to hit with gear? Should I start switching out PM for resistances or morale? Or just keep as is and build up essence gear as I can, and swap once I have a full essence set? With essences being so freeform, it's hard to know what kind of balance of defense/offense is recommended.

Sorry for all the questions - just kinda lost overall. I've browsed the wiki and some of the threads here, just trying to put it all together.

However, given that noone was able to answer my last question...

xZAOx posted:

Now that we're on a populated server, I wouldn't mind dipping into some group content. How are the 2 new BBs? Do people still do Pelargir BB? What about the instances that came a bit ago? I never found a group to do them with, not sure if people would really let me join, especially if they're doing the harder versions.

...I'm guessing that none of us are really doing group stuff and know, hehe. Which is fine - I still have a lot of overworld content to do during this update anyways.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

xZAOx posted:

I made an effort post on the official forums, curious about how to continue gearing. Some of the Minas Tirth quests where you have to fight 3 guys at once gave me a run for my money.

I don't really know poo poo about gear, but the three-guys-at-once has killed me every time, and I have 27K morale. gently caress those guys.

xZAOx posted:

However, given that noone was able to answer my last question...

xZAOx posted:

...I'm guessing that none of us are really doing group stuff and know, hehe. Which is fine - I still have a lot of overworld content to do during this update anyways.

World chat is FULL of calls for groups. Since the merge I've done Helegrod and Carn Dum and Rift for the first time, and tons of Turtle and Watcher runs. I've also gotten to do numerous roving threat and warband groups. I haven't done the Erebor instances, just because they haven't caught my interest enough yet, but I've seen calls for them too.

Yes, all the BBs are still being run regularly. A couple of goons have been kind enough to walk me through the MT BBs even with the disclaimer that I had never done them and they needed to explicitly expect me to do poo poo wrong. I found them easier than Helms Deep or Pelagir.

I would very much like to run groups with goons, especially goons who have never run through group content before and don't mind loving up. As it is, I'm usually with 23 highly experienced people and I can just sit on the outside plinking while the main group decimates the boss. It would be interesting to have to learn the strategy a bit better.

What say, goons? Any interest in setting up a standing weekly time for group content? I propose Friday nights and/or Saturday mornings. I'm on those times anyhow, so it won't be a big disappointment to me if nobody shows.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I've been getting my courage up to join in random pugs. So far though only made it into the DW raid for the first (where I'm sure I sucked sacks of poo poo, but hey, we won and others said it wasn't bad for a pug).

Then got into a Thorog group, only to find out I couldn't travel because I need some deed done. I have no idea what it even is, was just joining poo poo. Looks like I need to find a group running Helegrod. Or do you need to manually go there the first time or something? I'm a hunter, so I can zip around pretty easily.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I've been getting my courage up to join in random pugs. So far though only made it into the DW raid for the first (where I'm sure I sucked sacks of poo poo, but hey, we won and others said it wasn't bad for a pug).

Then got into a Thorog group, only to find out I couldn't travel because I need some deed done. I have no idea what it even is, was just joining poo poo. Looks like I need to find a group running Helegrod. Or do you need to manually go there the first time or something? I'm a hunter, so I can zip around pretty easily.

To unlock Thorog (the "dragon" wing of Helegrod) you need to just kill the bosses of the other three wings first, even on level 50 or whatever the minimum is even if you're level 100.

Also to add to the group content talk, I'm up for some. Can't say I'd be on every day or week for epic battles, the problem for those new to them is that those who have been geared for a while can easily solo the duos of the new epic battles, so the way I do it is queue it up, check for friends or Nazgun, even if they're on a level 60 alt, and invite them. If they come on time, or late or halfway in that's fine as I'm soloing for plat either way. But I like to just get it done so I typically don't really make an event out of arranging a time lately.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 9, 2016

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd be up for weekly things. Fridays are ok but Sunday are the most preferable day for me. Seeing as I have crazy moon hours I'll take what I can.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey,

I'm in the guild as Drachenfutter, currently level 45, and there are a bunch of instances/raids/BBs I've never done and would love to do. Even if they aren't level appropriate, like the Great Barrows, or the ones in the Lone Lands, or what have you. What I am saying is that I would be done to doing group stuff.

Sundays are terrible for me, but most every other day is pretty good. Ish.

Also, I might be on an alt, namely as Ardelin (Captain), Rudduck (Warden), or Uthane (Lore Master). I should probably try to get Ardelin and Rudduck in the guild if I plan on playing them like I have been, which has been every other day.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Usually Great Barrow and Moria instances are probably the easiest stuff to see somewhere. Raid wise, Turtle and sometimes Watcher.

Personally, I'd love it we could get someone to take us through a lot of the old raids at least once. I still have quests for OD and Helegrod, haha. I've been in parts of them, I think. But I got a lot of old quests that I'd love to get done (because I'm stupid), but even at the least, completing them once so that my Instance Finder shows them all as unlocked would be nice.

Usually the problem we have is finding someone who is comfortable herding us cats through them. Bomb had taken me through the BBs last year and I was semi-comfortable with most of them on duo (although I'd need refreshers at this point). I remember thinking Pel was a lot better. I'd also love to at least see the Erebor cluster, and finish the Ashes and Stars quest line (the Osgiliath instances) even if it's just T1.

A lot of that stuff gets annoying to do with friends though, as some is 2 or 6, or just 3, then just 6, etc.

But anyways, rambling aside, I'd love it if someone felt comfortable taking the lead and setting up some regular group content for us. I have a chronically sick child so my schedule can get jacked pretty easily, but for the most part I can make any evening and weekends any time work. I'd probably put my wish list as:

At least once:
Old raids (Helegrod > OD > Rift > Fornost > who knows what else)
Osgiliath instances
MT BBs
Erebor instances

Recurring:
Osgiliath instances on T2C - but I don't have the gear for this
BBs (Pel 6, MT BBs if they're reasonable and give good rewards, DW raid gives lots of stars too it seems, any others people wanna duo if stars reward is decent)
Anything else that isn't huge time commitments that gives relevant rewards (marks farming, etc)

That said - I don't mind helping out for quick turtle runs and poo poo for lower level people too. I just don't know if we have the activity to really get something recurring going.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 9, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Titus82 posted:

Hey,

I'm in the guild as Drachenfutter, currently level 45, and there are a bunch of instances/raids/BBs I've never done and would love to do. Even if they aren't level appropriate, like the Great Barrows, or the ones in the Lone Lands, or what have you. What I am saying is that I would be done to doing group stuff.

Sundays are terrible for me, but most every other day is pretty good. Ish.

Also, I might be on an alt, namely as Ardelin (Captain), Rudduck (Warden), or Uthane (Lore Master). I should probably try to get Ardelin and Rudduck in the guild if I plan on playing them like I have been, which has been every other day.

I'll try to hop on on my captain (Paksigue) this evening. I can run you through those instances and if another 100 is on we can get a turtle kill for any lowbies online as well.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Holy poo poo, what have they done to the client?

4 crashes in the 45 minutes.

And just in general, since returning, the game drops framerate really often, and CTDs are common (although not this bad typically).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

alucinor posted:

I don't really know poo poo about gear, but the three-guys-at-once has killed me every time, and I have 27K morale. gently caress those guys.

I meant to respond to this forever ago - did you get past it? Even at 15k as a Hunter I was able to kill them (I can think of two instances in the MT quests - the one with the guard, and another in the Culverts when you're saving the kids). The guard one I one-shot (barely), the part in the culverts took two attempts. If you didn't get past them, I can tell you what helped me at least (or just help you do it as long as the culvert one isn't a solo instance).

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I finally made it into the Mines of Moria! As a result I now have my first LIs and am trying to learn how this system works and what the heck imbuing is (looks like a level 100 deal.)

I've got to say I really enjoyed the Expedition quests that led up to Moria, it helped make everything feel a bit more "epic", like getting inside was an actual ordeal. And poor Broin! I was actually sad when he died.

And Moria is massive, from the little I've seen by running around and stabbing things. So all in all I am impressed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Titus82 posted:

So I finally made it into the Mines of Moria! As a result I now have my first LIs and am trying to learn how this system works and what the heck imbuing is (looks like a level 100 deal.)

I've got to say I really enjoyed the Expedition quests that led up to Moria, it helped make everything feel a bit more "epic", like getting inside was an actual ordeal. And poor Broin! I was actually sad when he died.

And Moria is massive, from the little I've seen by running around and stabbing things. So all in all I am impressed.

LIs are really confusing at first. Imbuement is even more confusing, but it is indeed a level 100 thing, so you can ignore it for now.

For leveling, I'd honestly say "don't worry about it too much". You get two slots you can equip (a weapon and a class item) that can be LIs, upgrade them every 10 levels or so. And you can get one for your warsteed too later on.

The worst quality is third age, best is first age. First and Second agers (I think?) are crafted from symbols that drop from raids and such (and sometimes from rewards from the epic quest). If you get a first age, it lasts a little longer, but again, for leveling, it's fun to make one but hardly crucial.

I'd suggest leveling up as many as you can. If you don't have many extra LIs you can slot for leveling up, then level them up longer. If you have a lot in your inventory ready to go, then decon them earlier (at the Relic Master). It's best to decon at a level that ends in "1" (so 1, 11, 21, etc). Deconning at 31 is nice because you can pick a legacy scroll, which is what you can tweak your LI with to get rid of crappy legacies.

Legacies however have tiers - higher the tier, the less points it costs to upgrade it, so higher tiers are better. If you use a legacy scroll, it's automatically only tier 2, I believe. You can buy various scrolls at some traders for marks/medallions and probably other poo poo to upgrade the tiers on your legacies.

Again, for leveling, don't stress it too much. As you reforge it every 10 levels, just pick the legacy that suits your class and playstyle and dump points however you like. Slot in whatever relics you like for the weapons you're actually going to equip, but don't combine your relics to super high and put a tier 10 relic in an LI that you're going to decon in 5 levels. I wouldn't put more than a tier 5 or 6 in a leveling LI. Hell, I don't think I really ever put relics in at all until I hit whatever the level cap was for the first time for me (maybe it was 85 or 95? I can't remember). Sure, you're gimp, but it's mostly all landscape poo poo, it doesn't matter.

Also, still, it's very overwhelming, and the wiki can help: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Legendary_Items

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'd stay in Moria for as long as you can take it. If you're level 50 heading in there, it'll get you to at least 63 if you do every quest. Then you can choose between Lothlorien, Enedwaith, Mirkwood, and starting Dunland early. I'd personally recommend leveling in Lothlorien and then Mirkwood until 70, then you can skip the boring parts of Dunland.

edit: I forgot that the Rise of Isengard content can be skipped entirely if you go to Great River from 70-75.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

ruffz posted:

I'd stay in Moria for as long as you can take it. If you're level 50 heading in there, it'll get you to at least 63 if you do every quest. Then you can choose between Lothlorien, Enedwaith, Mirkwood, and starting Dunland early. I'd personally recommend leveling in Lothlorien and then Mirkwood until 70, then you can skip the boring parts of Dunland.

edit: I forgot that the Rise of Isengard content can be skipped entirely if you go to Great River from 70-75.

As someone who has done all the things landscape-wise, this is extremely good advice. All of Moria is super solid and awesome. You actually feel relief once you finish with it and see daylight again. They did so well with it.

Then Lothlorien is SUCH a polar opposite, it's great. Mirkwood, Enedwaith, and Great River are all "okay", but nothing super memorable to me. I liked Enedwaith because I'm a Hunter, and I really dig the Grey Company stuff, but Dunland is the worst landscape content I've seen in the game. Not that anything's explicitly wrong with it - it's just soooo boring and repetitive. Even compared to LOTRO standards. This is Dunland:

-Go to camp of Dunlendings
-"YOU'RE AN OUTSIDER, WE DON'T TRUST YOU, SARUMAN IS A GOOD GUY. BTW SOME WEIRD THINGS ARE HAPPENING"
-You get them a bunch of bear asses, then they trust you
-"OH poo poo SARUMAN WAS BEHIND THE WEIRD THINGS, WE TRUST YOU NOW! YOU SHOULD GO TALK TO OUR NEIGHBOR CAMP"

Rinse and repeat like 10 times. Dunland over.

The epic through part of that though is what gave my Hunter his Grey Company outfit which I'll never take off, so that was neat. And Isengard itself is neat I thought. But gently caress Dunland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Yeah I think the Grey Company outfit is the only thing worth a drat in that expansion. My Hunter and Burglar wore it for an extended period of time. Dunland is so dull that I'm sure plenty of people quit in the middle of it. So just skip it.