Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last Celebration posted:

No, for some silly reason all of the hooved Zoan fruits are referred to as the Cow Cow Fruit: Model [Animal] instead of Horse Horse (which isn't really accurate either but works better), so he's saying Dalton had a subcategory of the Horse Horse fruit.

Pretty sure Bison are closer to cows than horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oh right, I didn't notice the name, just the effect. Weird.

Looking into it, Kaku's fruit is another Cow Cow fruit, model: Giraffe. Some of the naming makes no sense!

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Crazyeyes posted:

lame stuff like "giraffe"

How dare you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zark the Damned posted:

Oh right, I didn't notice the name, just the effect. Weird.

Looking into it, Kaku's fruit is another Cow Cow fruit, model: Giraffe. Some of the naming makes no sense!

I think Giraffes and cows are more closely related than giraffes and horses. They're both ruminants.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 26, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Marco will always be the coolest Zoan

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You misspelled X Drake

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's not even close, just look at those eye markings!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What are some other plausible Mythical Zoan models?:

Cat Model: Lucky Cat
Human Model: Bigfoot/Yeti
Bird Model: Thunderbird
Octopus Model: Kraken (Uh... Don't ask)
Wolf Model: Fenrir
Dragon Model: Orochi (or Hydra)
Snake Model: Leviathan
Human Model: Siren
Bird Model: Harpy
Human Model: Devil/Oni
Human Model: Midas
Rat Model: Ratking
Human Model: Helios
Human Model: Hercules
Boar Model: Behemoth

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I had considered this, but he maintains his fur and everything. Imagining the Zoaners in animal form with human faces or human skin is pretty unsettling, haha. Is that what Oda said at some point?

I think Zoaners could fool other animals, they already kind of get the short end of the stick compared to other fruit types - not being able to even actually become the animal seems to just add insult to injury. But of course, we've seen that Chopper wasn't able to fool humans, hence his backstory.

Though the Zoaners do typically maintain a bit of their appearance when in animal form...

The Model: Yeti idea does resolve a lot of these questions, though, even if it's not canon.

Oda full on said it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What are some other plausible Mythical Zoan models?:

Cat Model: Lucky Cat
Human Model: Bigfoot/Yeti
Bird Model: Thunderbird
Octopus Model: Kraken (Uh... Don't ask)
Wolf Model: Fenrir
Dragon Model: Orochi (or Hydra)
Snake Model: Leviathan
Human Model: Siren
Bird Model: Harpy
Human Model: Devil/Oni
Human Model: Midas
Rat Model: Ratking
Human Model: Helios
Human Model: Hercules
Boar Model: Behemoth

I could see Fenrir or Leviathan, but I think Oda's scratched the Harpy and Kraken itch already.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Every episode seems to have more filler than the last. It has more filler than a hot dog does at this point. :sigh:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watching this week's now, that move better have a turtle based name.

E: A good episode in my opinion I didn't think it was full of filler personally. Was that new music halfway through when they thought he had won?

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 31, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What move? :confused:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When he tucked his neck in and blasted it out.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Just watched the newest episode. This filler is approaching ridiculous levels.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

EmmyOk posted:

Watching this week's now, that move better have a turtle based name.

E: A good episode in my opinion I didn't think it was full of filler personally. Was that new music halfway through when they thought he had won?

If it's when Luffy blasts Doffy with the Leo Bazooka, then no. They used that track (called Reborn! The Straw Hat Pirates) before when Luffy dealt the final blow on Caesar with his Grizzly Magnum.

For all the faults of the anime, the orchestral music is still quite good.

Check it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wjsHNeiFefw

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Just watched the newest episode. This filler is approaching ridiculous levels.

It's less filler, more a stretching of the chapters to stupid lengths via repeating the same scenes over and over. Some of the past filler (movie tie ins etc.) has been decent and actually progresses at a non-glacial pace.

At least a third of this ep was replaying the Luffy/Doffy fight after Gear 4th plus a replay of Riku's speech and yet more 'oh no the birdcage it collapsing run to downtown' scenes. We loving get it, stop showing it every drat episode!

The fight should have ended after that headbutt but no, they have to drag it out even more with the whole 'Luffy is disabled for 10 mins so here's more 2nd string guys doing stuff' (though to be fair I think that's from the manga).

Hopefully they'll do some actual good filler before the next island to build up a buffer in case of more writer hiatus with the next arc.

This arc was handled better in Pirate Warriors 3, as it actually ended.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
There's literally one, maybe two new developments now per episode.

It's a drat shame because One Piece certainly deserves better than this. Even Dragonball Z with Fake Namek and the Frieza battle was better than this.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

Oda full on said it.

Oh, well, then there you have it.

Some (well, many) thoughts on the last episode:
Dear god, that padding.

I actually don't like the new songs. (Reborn! The Straw Hat Pirates included) But that's just my opinion. It'll probably grow on me, but something about it feels... out-of-place? I don't know.

I really hope his headbutt gets a move name.

He very deliberately took off his sandals in the beginning, and has been shown with them on in every single scene since. I could understand if they messed up one or a even a few scenes, but I don't think there's been even one scene with them off. He must have put them back on after punching Doffy or something.

Dear god, that padding!

Good thing no one else on the entire island is doing anything at all, especially the Marines. At least Sabo is finally going to do some fighting next episode, which should be great.

Can't the people hide underground? There appear to be enough houses for 1000000 people, so I'm not sure how they all plan to fit somewhere. And despite all the yelling about running, it seems like you could just casually out-walk the strings, or even get pushed by them. And besides, those strings looked pretty spaced out initially; they should have taken that opportunity to escape initially, at least the children.
I also find it strange that Zoro, the man that can casually cut mountains and steel, didn't even attempt to cut some strings (until now?).

Doffy is basically invincible or something; like his strings. Maybe he finally figured out he can just surround himself with a smaller birdcage and be invincible. The power-treadmill has really gotten out of hand. When I see Doffy get smashed into a mountain, it doesn't feel all that more impressive than earlier attacks, so I don't really get anything out of it. Doesn't feel like anything has happened. Especially since apparently nothing did.

Jesus ChristBurgess, that padding!!!

I really really hope we get a very lengthy filler arc after this.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Shadow0 posted:

I really really hope we get a very lengthy filler arc after this.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
They don't really have a choice it feels like. If Oda takes as many breaks as he did last year, they're gonna catchup no matter how much padding they throw down.

Just do a filler arc and put some effort into it, the only reason filler loses so many viewers is because it's always no effort garbage. Aim for a G8 arc quality and noone will mind. You don't have to cap off the arc with a big expensive fight either, just have the Strawhats running around doing goofy stuff like they did in that arc and it's pretty easy to sell.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

There should be decent filler material in the next arc but lol @ them ever utilizing that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Unless they pull a Bleach and just stop the story to go do out of continuity filler, there's really no room to add a filler arc in between this and the next arc.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Surely they can just stop off at a random island before the next one they reach?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Surely they can just stop off at a random island before the next one they reach?

Maybe it leads directly into Kaidou or CP0. Also worth remembering half of them are currently engaged with Big Mom.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Gyges posted:

Unless they pull a Bleach and just stop the story to go do out of continuity filler, there's really no room to add a filler arc in between this and the next arc.

Uhhh they spend a week travelling on Barts boat to Zou, if that's not the perfect oppurtunity for filler of some kind, I really don't know what is.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Asuron posted:

Uhhh they spend a week travelling on Barts boat to Zou, if that's not the perfect oppurtunity for filler of some kind, I really don't know what is.

Like they're gonna use that...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Asuron posted:

Except half the crew isn't there. Also they went directly from Dresrosa to Zou, leaving very little time for a side adventure. They don't even have the Sunny.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Gyges posted:

Except half the crew isn't there. Also they went directly from Dresrosa to Zou, leaving very little time for a side adventure. They don't even have the Sunny.

And? How does any of that matter? Other filler has been thrown in during timelines which makes far less sense than the one I'm describing. For example, instead of going straight to Punk Hazard, they go and meet the woman who can change her size and instead of going straight to Dressrosa, they have a bit of a detour to another island at night instead of them just waiting out the news.

It's quite literally a week of time on a ship with no navigator that's not accounted for, how easy would it be to go "because Bart had no navigator, we got lost along the way and have to take a detour". It makes more sense than them stopping at an island full of dragons for no reason before entering the Grand Line or meeting an alpaca on an island instead of being taken directly to Punk Hazard. Half the crew not being there doesn't matter either, you can do filler without them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Or how about a short filler arc detailing the adventures of the folks on board the Sunny showing what they've been up to during the final fighting?

I guess that wouldn't fly because no Luffy but they've been gone for what feels like hundreds of episodes :(

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zark the Damned posted:

Or how about a short filler arc detailing the adventures of the folks on board the Sunny showing what they've been up to during the final fighting?

I guess that wouldn't fly because no Luffy but they've been gone for what feels like hundreds of episodes :(

Well you'll get that as part of the next arc regardless, since what they've been doing is basically the setup.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Asuron posted:

And? How does any of that matter? Other filler has been thrown in during timelines which makes far less sense than the one I'm describing. For example, instead of going straight to Punk Hazard, they go and meet the woman who can change her size and instead of going straight to Dressrosa, they have a bit of a detour to another island at night instead of them just waiting out the news.

People already complain that Sanji and the others have been gone for over a year, they're not going to add in a bullshit filler arc without them or the Sunny. Also I wouldn't trust the anime to do anything on their own. They can't even remember that Luffy took his shoes off.

Also the Z filler is a national treasure and I will not have you besmirch it.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
remember when they actually had a good opportunity for filler between punk hazard and dressrosa and it was 2 episodes

yeah

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Are we supposed to assume the Hats took a vow of silence on Bart's boat and just sat quietly for a week while they went to Zou? Hell nah. They could easily do a falshback-style filler with Luffy and whoever chilling on Bart's boat as they travel and reminiscing about past exploits. Or telling Bart cool stories about their adventures. It would make sense and be a good justification for filler.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'd down as gently caress for some sweet Barto Club filler time. They're hilarious.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It's somewhat indicative of the state of the series when potential fan-fiction filler ideas are being discussed more than the actual show.

Then again it's not as if much else is happening.

How much of next ep is going to be recap / running away from the birdcage? I reckon at least 10 mins.

I agree Bart and co would be a good time waster. Or maybe even a couple eps of 'what's going on with Warlord Buggy'.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'd like a blowout rematch between Zoro and Cabaji that because the Buggy Pirates have become so lazy and indolent they can barely swing a sword now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Are we supposed to assume the Hats took a vow of silence on Bart's boat and just sat quietly for a week while they went to Zou? Hell nah. They could easily do a falshback-style filler with Luffy and whoever chilling on Bart's boat as they travel and reminiscing about past exploits. Or telling Bart cool stories about their adventures. It would make sense and be a good justification for filler.

Monster. You know drat well that Bart would die from fangasm if he was being told Strawhat stories from the source.

Also there's the issue that the Strawhats not talking about past exploits has been somewhat of a constant theme. It's part of why the Marines aren't hunting him down with everything they have.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gyges posted:

Also there's the issue that the Strawhats not talking about past exploits has been somewhat of a constant theme. It's part of why the Marines aren't hunting him down with everything they have.

What do you mean by this? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What do you mean by this? :confused:

If the Strawhats went around crowing about being the ones to take down Crocodile, how they successfully assaulted Enies Lobby and their captain broke into and out of Impel Down, with the help of two Shichibukai no less, the Marines would be embarrassed into putting their all into capturing or killing them.

With that said its not as if their fan club is the world news or anything, I could see flashback style story time.