Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doctor Schnabel posted:

why would i ever install a dedicated targeting core instead of an integrated targeting unit?

Because ITU requires seven skill points in Computer Systems (and the prerequisite seven points in Technology aptitude) and DTC doesn’t. If you have ITU unlocked, it’s strictly superior.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Doctor Schnabel posted:

why would i ever install a dedicated targeting core instead of an integrated targeting unit?

Because you need seven skill/aptitude points in one tech field?

e: beaten

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Are there any up to date combat/command guides? I can't find any through google.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ok yeah that makes sense. didn't notice there was a skill requirement

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Having some missile problems with BRDY. Darts refuse to autofire on fighters if there's a larger ship in the area, and Achilles systems will usually leave the last missile in the launcher...

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 26, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Having some missile problems with BRDY. Darts refuse to autofire on fighters if there's a larger ship in the area, and Achilles systems will usually leave the last missile in the launcher...

I believe those are both intentional behaviours caused by “hints” in weapon_data.csv (which is under the mod’s folder, then /data/weapons).

STRIKE weapons refuse to target fighters or frigates, ANTI_FTR weapons specifically target fighters. There’s a setting that makes the AI save the last missile, too, but I can’t recall what it is offhand. Should be obvious.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Saving the last missile for clutch plays is the default behavior (as far as i can tell.) You can apparently try to override it with the hint DON'T_CONSERVE, but sometimes the firing AI ignores that anyway (see: BRDY Arclight LFOs)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

I believe those are both intentional behaviours caused by “hints” in weapon_data.csv (which is under the mod’s folder, then /data/weapons).

STRIKE weapons refuse to target fighters or frigates, ANTI_FTR weapons specifically target fighters. There’s a setting that makes the AI save the last missile, too, but I can’t recall what it is offhand. Should be obvious.

Already tried this, with no success. The hints are just that, unfortunately; they don't seem to be ironclad rules, with the power to compel the AI. Achilles are already set to DO_NOT_CONSERVE, but they'll still keep the last missile for that one golden opportunity, which I think stalls the reload? The Darts are even more annoying, since not only are they already ANTI_FTR, but they'll prioritize cap ships wayyyyy out of their stated range. I think they only bother with fighters that get within 700 units of the ship, like God intended, but if they see something big? Oh boy, they'll calculate the expected lifetime of the missile and use that as the range, so they'll fire that poo poo off at something like 2000+ distance.

I guess it might be possible to salvage this stuff by getting into the guts of some java file, but I've never been able to get those to compile properly, even when following the tutorials.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I don't think I've really used anti-fighter missiles for anything :saddowns:
Only time I've used them is when I captured the SS+ mod-Aurora with four inbuilt ones or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t use missiles much. Especially on universal mounts—which is strange, because universal mounts supposedly break the game’s balance, hence the introduction of hybrid mounts—but even when the ship has dedicated mounts, I usually have something I’d rather spend the OP on.

I use missiles on certain frigates, on the Aurora, and on some mod ships where they’re a crucial part of the armament, but that’s about it. Especially if the AI will be using the ship, they just don’t know how to use missilse and are better served by more vents, capacitors, or hull mods.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 28, 2016

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tanith posted:

I don't think I've really used anti-fighter missiles for anything :saddowns:
Only time I've used them is when I captured the SS+ mod-Aurora with four inbuilt ones or something.

The best anti-fighter weapon is the Heavy Blaster. Any ship with 3+ medium energy turrets and sufficiently deep flux reserves will happily shred wing after wing of fighters ad nauseum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Z the IVth posted:

The best anti-fighter weapon is the Heavy Blaster. Any ship with 3+ medium energy turrets and sufficiently deep flux reserves will happily shred wing after wing of fighters ad nauseum.

I see your heavy blaster and raise you Mjolnir.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Already tried this, with no success. The hints are just that, unfortunately; they don't seem to be ironclad rules, with the power to compel the AI. Achilles are already set to DO_NOT_CONSERVE, but they'll still keep the last missile for that one golden opportunity, which I think stalls the reload? The Darts are even more annoying, since not only are they already ANTI_FTR, but they'll prioritize cap ships wayyyyy out of their stated range. I think they only bother with fighters that get within 700 units of the ship, like God intended, but if they see something big? Oh boy, they'll calculate the expected lifetime of the missile and use that as the range, so they'll fire that poo poo off at something like 2000+ distance.

I guess it might be possible to salvage this stuff by getting into the guts of some java file, but I've never been able to get those to compile properly, even when following the tutorials.

There was something really weird with the custom AI it uses, thanks for bringing it up. Fixed nao.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I prefer auto-fire beams for fighters. Beams for everythingggg

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sunfires are a giant gently caress you to fighter formations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I like swarming the enemy with Dipterons. The single Shredder they have may not do much damage, but it adds up quickly. And if you open a hole in something's armor they can wreck it in short order.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Xand_Man posted:

Sunfires are a giant gently caress you to fighter formations.

THIS is a giant gently caress you to fighter formations. Also, frigate formations, destroyer formations, and most cruisers. Basically, i am become Death, destroyer of subcapitals. It's like a Desdinova scaled up to a battlecruiser and made of lasers, it's great.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Do AI ships not lose combat readiness to prolonged engagements? I just fought a frigate that stayed at 42 CR while I went to from 82 to zero.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

wolfman101 posted:

Do AI ships not lose combat readiness to prolonged engagements? I just fought a frigate that stayed at 42 CR while I went to from 82 to zero.

They certainly do! It depends on the ship though, the low tech ones tend to have slower rates of CR decay (which can be further prolonged with the use of hullmods). Was it a mod ship or a baseline one?

The CR won't degrade until after their Peak Performance Time expires. His was longer than yours undoubtedly. Your typical safety-overriden frigate taps out at 60s, a regular frigate is 180s.

There are various flavours of tactics on the forums about solo-ing enemy fleets where you just run the AI's CR down until they malfunction so your hulking death-battleship can catch them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dev Blog: “Phase Cloaking — A Deep Dive”

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
can someone explain to me how the logistics ships like the Castle work?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

can someone explain to me how the logistics ships like the Castle work?

As I understand it:

When they're in a fleet with other ships, they take the CR "damage" as it were that the other ships would take. This is then compounded by the fact they need like 1000 supplies to hit peak CR, so it can take a lot of combat readiness on behalf of other ships.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so the idea is to allow you to, say, deploy guys at full CR in back-to-back encounters, if need be? does the castle have to be in the fight as well, or does just hanging out in the fleet suffice?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It just has to be in the fleet. The Rook (I think that's the other supply ship) has a flight deck so I deploy it once in a while.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pretty sure both have a flight deck but the castle as I recall has some wierd thing that gives it bonus weapon range so it's a reasonably effect support capital ship with it's heavy weapon mounts.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That shade, dolphin diving through the eagle. Dangerous and weird indeed

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Interstellar Imperium, SS+ and Templars just updated :mrgw:

I worked a lot on the new Interstellar Imperium content, we have brought some interesting new weapons to the table, DR made a massive new home system for the faction full of content, and I made a set of music for the faction. Please check it out!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh nice, downloading now. It looks like Diable Avionics got an update too.

What do you folks think is the best small ballistic pd, if we're counting just the stuff from vanilla and ssp? I find myself using vulcans a lot, since most of the other stuff isn't too hot at catching missiles as they loop around my ship, but I've been wondering if there's something better out there. Also, does the choice change if we consider non-pd ballistics and IPDAI?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Vulcans if you are only using them for PD, light MGs for utility (you can knife fight well)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Oh nice, downloading now. It looks like Diable Avionics got an update too.

What do you folks think is the best small ballistic pd, if we're counting just the stuff from vanilla and ssp? I find myself using vulcans a lot, since most of the other stuff isn't too hot at catching missiles as they loop around my ship, but I've been wondering if there's something better out there. Also, does the choice change if we consider non-pd ballistics and IPDAI?

Just vanilla and SS+? Vulcan. Sometimes I put light dual MGs on front mounts, but only if I have overlapping coverage from the sides.

For energy, the mining laser is criminally underrated. With Optimized Assembly, they only cost 1 OP. They can’t handle large volumes of missiles on their own, but they’re a good if you have mounts where burst lasers are overkill. SS+’s reliant HMG costs 0 OP, and there is little reason not to use it if you have the mounts—poor damage and flux efficiency compared to light MGs, though.

I prefer ballistic PD in most cases. It doesn’t get overwhelmed as easily. I almost never use IPDAI. Most small weapons that aren’t already designated as PD just aren’t good at the job.

Energy’s strength is that it’s good against small numbers of fast missiles. Also, small energy mounts don’t have much going for them besides PD, whereas small ballistics mounts are more versatile and I may want to use them as primary firepower, so that’s a consideration on some ships.

My favourite mod PD is Scy’s small auto‐nailer.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 1, 2016

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
New phase system seems dangerous and scary.

I can't wait to get wrecked by it.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I dunno, IPDAI and tac lasers are probably better than any dedicated PD weapon on anything big enough to spare the OP. I think most of the energy based point defence weapons apart from maybe the hacking commlink are too expensive for the utility they provide.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I think the biggest drawback of stuff like the PD burst laser is that when there are no missiles to kill, it'll blow its wad on shooting nearby ships, then the lasher you're chasing will unload all six harpoons in your face and kill you. :saddowns:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Tanith posted:

I think the biggest drawback of stuff like the PD burst laser is that when there are no missiles to kill, it'll blow its wad on shooting nearby ships, then the lasher you're chasing will unload all six harpoons in your face and kill you. :saddowns:

Essentially, energy burst PD has annoyingly long range and ballistic non-flak PD has annoyingly short range.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tanith posted:

Long range can be something of a liability for PD—even continuous beams can be distracted by ships when there are missiles to shoot. This is especially noticeable with tactical lasers and IPDAI, because they’re almost always focused on something.

This is one reason that I prefer Blackrock’s Argus to vanilla’s burst laser: its range is enough shorter that it rarely fires on ships I don’t want it to, but long enough that it still has time to acquires a target and fire all its charges before it’s too late.

Expanded magazines do increase the number of charges for burst PD, which is great if you want the hull mod for other weapons you have installed, like autopulse lasers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The PD I use often depends on what other weapons I have on the ship. I occasionally field Eagles with a full array of beams to make pressure ships and they get tac laser with the IPDAI mod. Ships with losts of burat weapons get burst lasers instead. Though of course that depends on the small slots.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Using an autopulse sunder with burst pd, expanded magazines as a battering ram is so incredibly fun.

Drive up, PEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEW, turn, PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

:siren: patch notes

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10661.msg181467#msg181467

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

quote:

Conservation efforts have been successful and a small number of Buffalo Mk.II's have been spotted in the wild
:laugh:

also RIP phase lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All of those changes sound great and I fear encountering phase ships now. I might actually have to invest in some of my own.