Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Got these stickers off eBay for fivebuxx shipped. They took like 5 min to apply and look swell, with 3 options of pattern and 4 colors for each ship.

E: Timg, also tablet not taking great pics, but seriously if you want to beautify your wangs and don't have a steady hand for painting they're pretty nice.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
I'm pretty bad at this game and want to start flying Scum. Especially the Hound's Tooth and Mist Hunter when it comes out. I've been thinking on it, and I think the Illicit Stealth upgrade is going to be just gravy on Talonbane Cobra so I'm going to pick up a Kihraxz Fighter too. What's some generally good Scum action right now? I am aggressively pro-proxy so cards are no issue, I'm just really behind and ignorant of good combos.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MCPeePants posted:

I'm pretty bad at this game and want to start flying Scum. Especially the Hound's Tooth and Mist Hunter when it comes out. I've been thinking on it, and I think the Illicit Stealth upgrade is going to be just gravy on Talonbane Cobra so I'm going to pick up a Kihraxz Fighter too. What's some generally good Scum action right now? I am aggressively pro-proxy so cards are no issue, I'm just really behind and ignorant of good combos.

In a competitive sense, the current viable Scum lists are pretty sparse. You've got brobots (two aggressors with assorted upgrades) and 4x TLT Y-Wings. For friendly play, do whatever. Feedback array Z95 swarms are hilarious.

I think Wave 8 is going to blow that right open. Illicit stealth device is going to make for some really slippery opening plays. Mist Hunter looks good and cool, especially the named pilots, butd a B-Wing equivalent is a good filler ship even as a generic.

We have very few clues about the jumpmaster, but I hope it's good too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Pretty much, yeah. There are very few genuinely competitive Scum builds, and Scum are comparatively under-supported and overloaded with ships in need of buffs or that are overpriced - the Khiraxz is solid, but suffers from being basically a T65 which trades a shield for a hull and Astromech for Illicit, and that's not a good trade in either case. The Scyk is just too pricey for its statline or too lovely for its cost, and isn't, despite its name, an interceptor by any stretch of the imagination. The StarViper is cool and good but WAY too expensive, with any kind of upgrades on the named pilots you're pushing close to 50 points for something less effective than Soontir, who costs 35, at the same sort of role. The Zs and Ys are OK. The big ships are better, but suffer accordingly from the lack of allies to rely on. Brobots are excellent. The new stuff looks good, but I really think the Illicit slot is both under-used and underpowered; the best way to buff Scum would be more good illicits; the Cloaking Device is a reasonable start, though I wish they'd either made it properly single use (i.e. cloak and decloak once then discard) or permanent, the random discard is just dumb), but you'd still face the problem that the Scyk and Starviper don't have the slot (well the latter can get one, on a single ship, for a stupid price).

The new stuff looks like it will be solid, but still perhaps a little underpowered - comparing Dengar to Han, for instance, you get a PS9 3 attack PWT with solid slots and a very offensive pilot ability - but Han gets one more shield and 3 more hull, and a lot more possible ways to buff his defence, even given his 1 lower agility.

I so want Scum to be good, they're by far the most interesting faction with the coolest and funnest ships. But they're just... not there.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Even if it's not the best of the best, my favorite scum pilot is probably Kath with veteran instincts, a heavy laser cannon and an engine upgrade with crew or a hot shot blaster or whatever if the points allow it. It really is a shame all the small ships are so underwhelming.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Even if it's not the best of the best, my favorite scum pilot is probably Kath with veteran instincts, a heavy laser cannon and an engine upgrade with crew or a hot shot blaster or whatever if the points allow it. It really is a shame all the small ships are so underwhelming.

I love scum Kath but Firesprays (both Imperial and Scum) need a little boost. They're not bad, but they need something.

I think that something is either 1-turns on the dial or native boost. The latter is more offensive (easy to swing those arcs around!) and the latter is general purpose.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Otisburg posted:

Got these stickers off eBay for fivebuxx shipped. They took like 5 min to apply and look swell, with 3 options of pattern and 4 colors for each ship.

E: Timg, also tablet not taking great pics, but seriously if you want to beautify your wangs and don't have a steady hand for painting they're pretty nice.
Can't just drop that and no link. Those look sharp.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
As far as Scum pilots go, I still really like Kavil and want him (her?) to be more useful. I like running Kavil with Blaster Turret, PTL, EU and unhinged adtromech. It's not bad at 36 points, but once the Dorsal Turret comes out, that feels like a great fit. The second I get my wave 8, i'm running this..

Zuckuss (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

4-LOM (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Advanced Sensors (3)

Kavil (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I had a lot of success witha TLT kavil with r4 yesterday, so YMMV. Four red dice ain't nothing to sneeze at.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I had a lot of success witha TLT kavil with r4 yesterday, so YMMV. Four red dice ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Still only 2 damage a turn though, whatever you do. The beauty and the curse of TLTs. Kavil is a great pilot ability just lacking a good turret to use with it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

MCPeePants posted:

I have flown this list to great effect recently. The bug zapper swarm is so great for dealing with aces. Between being able to force bumps for loss of actions, or still doing damage while stuff is out of arc. Guri is then flown defensively to stay alive to the endgame. You are going to lose Zs with this list, but if you can take a couple ships with you and have a healthy Guri for the endgame, you will win.

The only real problem I ran into is most games run to time. So you have to be able to pick your Manuvers quickly to leave time for Guri to perform the mop up of the final ship or two.

Unnamed Squadron (99)

Guri — StarViper 30
Push the Limit 3
Sensor Jammer 4
"Hot Shot" Blaster 3
Autothrusters 2
Virago 1
Ship Total: 43

Binayre Pirate — Z-95 Headhunter 12
Feedback Array 2
Ship Total: 14

Feedback Array 2

Feedback Array 2

Feedback Array 2

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I came up with a silly gimick list, though I couldn't fit it in 100 points so I made it 150 points:

Fox Squadron (150 Points)

Luke Skywalker (R2-D2, Proton Torpedoes, Expert Handling ("Do a barrel roll!"), Engine Upgrade ("Use a boost to get through!") - 37 Points
Ace: When defending, you may change 1 of your results to a result.

Garven Dreis (R2-D6 (Radioed Advice), Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade, Squad Leader) - 42 Points
"Don't give up, trust your instincts": After spending a focus token, you may place that token on any other friendly ship at Range 1-2 (instead of discarding it).

Biggs Darklighter (R2-F3, Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade) - 36 Points
"I can't get this guy off me!": Other friendly ships at Range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead.

Tarn Mison (R5-K6, Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade) - 33 Points
"Time for some payback!": When an enemy ship declares you as the target of an attack, you may acquire a target lock on that ship.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Foolster41 posted:

I came up with a silly gimick list, though I couldn't fit it in 100 points so I made it 150 points:

Luke Skywalker (R2-D2, Proton Torpedoes, Expert Handling ("Do a barrel roll!"), Engine Upgrade ("Use a boost to get through!") - 37 Points

Garven Dreis (R2-D6 (Radioed Advice), Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade, Squad Leader) - 42 Points
"Don't give up, trust your instincts": After spending a focus token, you may place that token on any other friendly ship at Range 1-2 (instead of discarding it).

"I can't get this guy off me!": Other friendly ships at Range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead.

"Time for some payback!": When an enemy ship declares you as the target of an attack, you may acquire a target lock on that ship.

That's fantastic. I'm going to see if I can make a Star Wolf list now.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

That'd be a cool matchup, I'd love to see a team fox vs. team wolf battle!

So, if I were to Experimental interface on Expose on the Falcon. Since apparently having 0 Agility doesn't cancel the effect (a decimator it looks like can use it to just gain 1 die since agility can't be negative) would I get 5 attack dice (and have 0 agility). It's maybe a bad idea, but sounds at least funny enough to try once.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Foolster41 posted:

So, if I were to Experimental interface on Expose on the Falcon. Since apparently having 0 Agility doesn't cancel the effect (a decimator it looks like can use it to just gain 1 die since agility can't be negative) would I get 5 attack dice (and have 0 agility). It's maybe a bad idea, but sounds at least funny enough to try once.

You can't perform the same action twice with the same ship in the same round. So you would only have 5 dice at range 1.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Foolster41 posted:

You can only use each action once per turn, so you can't expose then EI for a second expose.

Expose is pretty much only good on a decimator because 4 unmodified give you the same expected damage as 3 with a focus except you also lose a point of agility. With the Deci you can use EI to get a focus and expose without the downside. Still not amazing though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

KongGeorgeVII posted:

You can only use each action once per turn, so you can't expose then EI for a second expose.

Expose is pretty much only good on a decimator because 4 unmodified give you the same expected damage as 3 with a focus except you also lose a point of agility. With the Deci you can use EI to get a focus and expose without the downside. Still not amazing though.

I think the thing to do with expose is mix it with a TL and then Chiraneau's ability. Unfortunately Predator is a lot more reliable because you get it even while super stressed or blocked.

The thing about the math on expose is that its effect is a lot better the fewer dice you roll already, but even going from 2 to 3 it's only even with focus/target lock. After that it's strictly worse.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 2, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So you are saying we should put it on a hwk.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Omega Leader and a TIE/D Colonel Vessery flying in formation are a hell of a lot of fun.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finster Dexter posted:

Took me forever to figure out that I could just right-click a ship, and execute a maneuver. Before that I placed a template, used SHIFT-ARROW to get it lined up, then pick up the ship and drag it over, rotate it and SHIFT-ARROW some more to line it up on the other end.

:doh:

I've been using Tabletop Simulator. There's a mod that has about 95% of the game in, with graphics for the cards. I know it's kind of a controversial gray area to have the card graphics in a free program; I just use it to test lists and fart around with a buddy. If we get a goon Xwing night together, VASSAL or not, I'd be down to play

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

Can't just drop that and no link. Those look sharp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Motors-X-wing-miniature-game-Unofficial-sticker-adhesive-vinyl-Warprint-/252273723924

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bought the starter for this super wasted without realizing I have no good 3x3' tables. What's the go to play surface for this game? Worth getting a mat and maybe a piece of plywood

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

I'd definitely be down for some Goon Vassal games! I'm not sure I can commit to a League, but getting some random games in would be great.

EnjoiThePureTrip fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 2, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Bought the starter for this super wasted without realizing I have no good 3x3' tables. What's the go to play surface for this game? Worth getting a mat and maybe a piece of plywood

I use mostly vinyl star-field printed mats, but if you can spring for it, the mousepad material is much nicer.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/hcdgm01blk.html looks like it might be a cheap option, just do the toothbrush flicking method to stipple it with "stars."

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Tonight, flew Blues Brothers both with Blue Ace and as just four Novices with Astros and Integrated.

Holy poo poo, it's tough. 20 health on four T-65s isn't a lot to punch through. 28 health on four T-70s is a shitload to punch through, especially with boost and two green dice. I went 2-2 tonight, and one of the losses was flat out my fault for flying poorly to end the game (a one health Kath survived on the other side, and I bumped to deny myself a shot on one of my last two moves). The other loss was to an absolutely infuriating double ion hog list that I would always (always) dodge the normal shot and get hit by the ion by one result. The wins were against a 4A list that the resident best player was flying that I destroyed without even taking hull damage, and the same double ion hog list by the skin of my teeth. I think Y-wings with ion cannons are uniquely the single hardest thing to tackle with this list. I have absolutely no qualms about dueling 4x TLT, but ion hogs just gently caress with it hard.

I like it, though. This will definitely see more play.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

If there was like a tutorial to teach me how to use Vassal, I'd be so down. I'd be the dude using all the weird lits.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strobe is doing the Lord's work, making sure the X-Wing will always have a place in its epinonimous tabletop game.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bunnyofdoom posted:

If there was like a tutorial to teach me how to use Vassal, I'd be so down. I'd be the dude using all the weird lits.

Same. I'd love to play but I downloaded it and am totally lost.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
For those trying to wrap their heads around vassal, this page has a huge pile of good information.

http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/

Maybe jivjov could add that link to the OP?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Otisburg posted:

I use mostly vinyl star-field printed mats, but if you can spring for it, the mousepad material is much nicer.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/hcdgm01blk.html looks like it might be a cheap option, just do the toothbrush flicking method to stipple it with "stars."

Wow, those are cheaper than I thought they would be. Not to find a way around the Canadian exchange rate...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Foolster41 posted:

Star Wolf (150 Points)

Carnor Jax (PtL, Autothrusters, Stealth Device) - 34 points
"Can't let you do that Skywalker!": Enemy ships at Range 1 cannot perform focus or evade actions and cannot spend focus or evade tokens.

Soontir Fel (PtL, Autothrusters, Stealth Device) - 35 points
"Annoying Rebels, I am the Great Baron Fel!": When you receive a stress token, you may assign 1 focus token to your ship.

Turr Phennir (VI, Autothrusters, Stealth Device) - 31 points
"The Emperor's enemy is my enemy!": After you perform an attack, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.

Tetran Cowall (VI, Autothrusters, Stealth Device) - 30 points
"You can't beat me, I've got a better ship!": When you reveal a K-Turn maneuver, you may treat the speed of that maneuver as "1," "3," or "5".

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Oh oops.Well, I used it that way tonight. Still, seems pretty neat to use on a falcon when out of arc of non-turret ships with 4/0 attack/defense, and I could instead use the main action to focus or TL for the attack too. Hardly a breaking stategy or anything, but seems like it could be a legitimate competitive build.

In other news, Saboteur is kind of lovely. Maybe if I was running a close-range collision based build of some kind, but otherwise it just depends on luck and depends on already having damage cards. I feel like the action is better used elsewhere, like contributing to an attack rather than doing an isolated thing.

I "won" (The net advantage from my misunderstanding that rule was maybe 2-3 damage, so IDK either way if I'd won or lost it was somewhat close, I had 5 hull left on Han, and I think wedge had no damage but lost his shields.) that first game with Han + Wedge against an defender and Decimator. I blew up the decimator and then got the defender.

The second game I flew a compacted version of my starfox list I mentioned above down to 100 points (compacted to 98 points because I realized I didn't have one of the droids and couldn't find Squad leader which I could have sworn I had). This time it was against the same opponent who had a decimator, a defender and Tie. I blew up the interceptor in one turn, and Good old Slippy did his job of drawing fire on himself, which means he died in a single turn as well (I forgot to roll an extra die from my R2F2 which would have prevented a +1 damage crit and saved him for 1 turn). The decimator finally entered the battle and my falcon swooped around behind it with a 4k. Then we ran out of time. Biggs/Slippy was worth 28 points, and the ship I destroyed was worth 24, I lost by only 4 points!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Uuuugh. Store champs is 4 days away and I have a list that was doing really well. Tonight I played 2 games and got utterly crushed both times. Not a good feeling.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Uuuugh. Store champs is 4 days away and I have a list that was doing really well. Tonight I played 2 games and got utterly crushed both times. Not a good feeling.

It's the downer second act before you return triumphant and backed by a mob of tribal teddies.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TheHoosier posted:

I've been using Tabletop Simulator. There's a mod that has about 95% of the game in, with graphics for the cards. I know it's kind of a controversial gray area to have the card graphics in a free program; I just use it to test lists and fart around with a buddy. If we get a goon Xwing night together, VASSAL or not, I'd be down to play

I've been practising my first turn of movement to end up in a 2x3 formation, and messing it up due to bumping ships and twisting movement templates every single time. Tabletop Simulator would be hell.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

KongGeorgeVII posted:

whats the list and what beat you?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

zVxTeflon posted:

whats the list and what beat you?

It's this one I posted a little while ago:

KongGeorgeVII posted:

"Howlrunner" (18)
Juke (2)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 99

I was undefeated with it until tonight, after 6 or 7 games, but for some reason tonight I could never get a good first engagement and Howlrunner would die super quick. I was also forced to break up the formation quickly each time for various reasons too.

First match was against a triple tactician K-wing list and two ties got double stressed on the first pass, which was fine except I had to break formation to give chase and couldn't seem to concentrate enough fire to take out anything. Never got another stress token for the rest of the game but just got worn down by TLT. My initial approach wasn't great, I think I should have slowed down and left myself with more options in both games.

Second game was Oicunn riding with Palpatine and a prockets Vader. Again I screwed up the initial pass and Vader got behind me, he got a range 1 shot on Howl with prockets, 5 hits and I rolled 4 blanks. I didn't want to joust the Decimator because it was the gimmicky ion projector + palp + oicunn that traps a ship and bumps for a damage every turn but I should have just gotten behind it and whittled it down. Unfortunately I got distracted by opportunity shots on Vader but between Vaders 3 green dice and Palp I could barely scratch him. I managed to get the shields of Vader by the end but my dice utterly failed me this game, 60 minutes into the game and I had only done 2 shield damage to the Decimator.

I think I just had a really off night. I can't think of any particularly bad errors of judgement but I was concentrating a lot on my own moves, not really thinking of my opponents best options or ways to get multiple ships in the right positions at the right times.

Otisburg posted:

It's the downer second act before you return triumphant and backed by a mob of tribal teddies.

I hope so!

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Pretty new to this game and have been hosting a couple casual games with people, trying to get them into it as well. Even got my dad to play me a couple games - he got really into it once he got the hang us using his 2 TIE fighters + 2 TIE/FOS and how all the upgrades and actions work.

Right now, I only have the original and TFA core expansions - are there any fun/economical lists that I could start to build out for Rebel/Empire that share upgrades and end up with a balanced selection for each side?

For casual play, I'll just be photocopying/proxying sheets of upgrade cards so there's plenty to go around for building out of one set.

I was thinking of going towards Millennium Falcon and a Decimator/Slave 1/Shuttle + each side's Aces pack to start? Then grabbing individual Awing/Interceptor separately. Then one of each solo Xwing/T70 and TIE +FO variant so I have the most pilot variety out of the core set ships.

Anyone else build for more than one faction? Anything I should avoid entirely?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think the Imperial Aces/Rebel Aces packs are a good idea, along with buying the expansions for A-Wings/Inties/TIE FIghter/T-65/FO/T-70, although I would suggest just getting the stuff that interests you. From then on, the best advice, especially if you are proxying, is just get the stuff that looks cool to you.

Most things are pretty workable to be honest, but I would suggest not getting the Scyk (Scum ship), the TIE Defender/Bomber (until Imperial Veterans is released) or the Starviper (the ship isn't all that but it has a very important upgrade card).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
4-0 in the last two league nights this past Friday and Monday, so I'm expecting my brobits luck to completely and utterly fold in time for my first store champ of the year on Saturday.

:awesomelon:

• Locked thread