Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

I can't believe people buy smartphones or tablets for their kids.

Apple, ripping apart broken families since 2012

quote:

She was 12 and, her mother said, she was not fitting in with her father's new family. She grabbed her camo-colored iPhone 4s and shot a text to a friend - roughly: I don't like his ratchet girlfriend or her kids.

It was 2013. That word - "ratchet" - was running through rap songs and teens' text messages, thought to mean a low-class and clueless diva. When Ronald Jackson saw it, he took away his daughter's cellphone.

"I was being a parent," Jackson recently told CBS-DFW. "A child does something wrong, you teach them what's right."

Jackson, a 36-year-old from Dallas, was ultimately arrested and charged with property theft, a Class B misdemeanor - because he had taken his daughter's iPhone and refused to give it back.

Following a long legal battle, a Dallas County Criminal Court judge ruled last week that the state did not have enough evidence to continue the case and ordered a jury to find him not guilty.

Jackson spoke with The Washington Post at length following the verdict but then recanted, saying he had signed an exclusivity agreement with a TV program a day earlier. He said he could not speak further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
probably for the best, sounds like dad's a weenus with low self esteem who makes poor decisions

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
being charged for theft, that's gotta be the stupidest thing i've read today.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol, just lol if your bioparents dont love each other

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol if you get trolled so hard by your own teenage daughter

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm an insane redneck so even regular cellphones were useless in my home town until like 2010.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Internaut! posted:

seriously we've been using it nonstop for over a month

i bet youve been shoving it in each other's asses! :xd:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dodoman posted:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the cgt faculty here weren't terribly impressed with the ipad pros they got to try out and went back to cintiqs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the judge can order the jury to find someone not guilty?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what happens if they find him guilty anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dodoman posted:

yeah if it had ios7+ on it he was just protecting his kid from hazardous waste.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

BONGHITZ posted:

but what about for the average man, should the average man get an ipad pro?

eh the average man can probably get by with an iPad, I definitely prefer the larger size over the regular iPad, the screen looks way better than a 13" MBA and it's a lot cheaper than a 13" rMBP

all in all it is very Pro

Fabricated posted:

the cgt faculty here weren't terribly impressed with the ipad pros they got to try out and went back to cintiqs

legit interested in why

like I'm sitting on the couch right now doing Zbrush on a way better screen than my Cintiq with no wires and it's :eyepop:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Internaut! posted:

eh the average man can probably get by with an iPad, I definitely prefer the larger size over the regular iPad, the screen looks way better than a 13" MBA and it's a lot cheaper than a 13" rMBP

all in all it is very Pro

legit interested in why

like I'm sitting on the couch right now doing Zbrush on a way better screen than my Cintiq with no wires and it's :eyepop:

probably had something to do with the department cj standing over their shoulders and saying "NOT SUPPORTED" into a megaphone at 5-second intervals

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Stymie posted:

he didn't invent them, but he defined them

along with tablets and laptops

theyre still doing the same thing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
except now they arent taking the lead from a man who abandoned his daughter

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

carry on then posted:

probably had something to do with the department cj standing over their shoulders and saying "NOT SUPPORTED" into a megaphone at 5-second intervals
Nah they can use whatever they want; their stuff and their labs.

Basically the one complaint I heard consistently was the tactile feel of using the cintiq vs the ipad pro+pencil. So I guess this is audiophile levels of spergery and decades of preference

primary software/plugins used by our cgt people is renderman, zbrush, maya, Houdini, and a mess of other poo poo i don't recall offhand

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Stux posted:

except now they arent taking the lead from a man who abandoned his daughter

permaban

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

fart simpson posted:

the judge can order the jury to find someone not guilty?
yes, you can move for a directed verdict if no reasonable jury could possibly find that e.g. all necessary elements in the definition of the crime have been met.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

Do we still use the term "computer janitor", because i thought "computer toucher" was the new hip term

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wheany posted:

Do we still use the term "computer janitor", because i thought "computer toucher" was the new hip term

imo a cj is specifically an IT maintenance person, whereas a computer toucher could be a programmer or really an y other white collar beep boop job

∴ cj ⊂ computoucher

however im not sure that colloquial use bears this out

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im the colloquial use of "computer janitor" and "computer toucher" as job titles

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's funny how a few YOSPOS guys think computer janitor is a cute nickname, when in reality it means you're a worthless drain on society just 5 years away from being fully replaced by scripts and teaching Tim from accounting how to reboot the server racks.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

computer janitors have the most to lose when apple products invade the enterprise more and more

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I'm what you call a POWER USER a computer expert if you will, i keep the servers running

... no i can't program, i don't see how thats relevant

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yes our cio just made some speech about switching to windows phone (from ios) for exactly this reason

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Fabricated posted:

Nah they can use whatever they want; their stuff and their labs.

Basically the one complaint I heard consistently was the tactile feel of using the cintiq vs the ipad pro+pencil. So I guess this is audiophile levels of spergery and decades of preference

primary software/plugins used by our cgt people is renderman, zbrush, maya, Houdini, and a mess of other poo poo i don't recall offhand

the ipad definitely has a different feel, hard plastic on glass versus soft plastic on matte - a matte screen protector goes a long way to evening this out

but ya software wise it sounds like wacom + windows is what those guys need; Astropad is great but definitely not as integrated yet

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it's funny how a few YOSPOS guys think computer janitor is a cute nickname, when in reality it means you're a worthless drain on society just 5 years away from being fully replaced by scripts and teaching Tim from accounting how to reboot the server racks.

i'm sure Tim from accounting is really loving thrilled that now his job description includes "rebooting the server racks"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

nah its way cheaper to hire a CJ than a developer to automate them and scripts cant move computers around (yet).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

nah its way cheaper to hire a CJ than a developer to automate them and scripts cant move computers around (yet).

oh cool can we go back to VDI thin clients again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vdi was the worst and im glad it never went anywhere

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
like if your hardware budget is a big lump sum every 5 years then ok i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vdi was a scam to inflate budgets and kickbacks from virtualization providers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

ipads pro

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

major key: http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/dj-khaled-future-we-the-best.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Larry Parrish posted:

nah what they'll do is hire some consultant to do the IT stuff for them but the consultant can do like 30 different companies

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

as gently caress

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol i forgot ipad pro now has half assed multitasking because tim got scared by another batch of advertising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its me im the ipad pro

• Locked thread