Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anyone know of a place to preorder with any sort of discount at all? GMG apparently doesn't have any US keys for the normal version, just a season pass or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does anyone know of a place to preorder with any sort of discount at all? GMG apparently doesn't have any US keys for the normal version, just a season pass or something.

I think I saw something about the VIP section of GMG earlier, whatever that means.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
This is the thing with Beagleluck for me - it's all a matter of chances, so the point is to just keep trying! Because sooner or later, he'll get that super duper lucky thing and he can improvise on that on a mile through all the bad luck shots. He just needs to survive them first.

I believe in you, Beags!

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I have the same question but :australia: :20bux:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 31, 2022

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lotish posted:

They don't scale as far as I can tell--they can be destroyed with enough damage and harder hitting units are going to clear them out faster, possibly even immediately, at which point all fire is on you again. They may be an early game hail mary but late game joke of a slot.

If they get nerfed, I imagine it'll be to reduce their hit point and defense values so they fall apart much faster.

Obviously this is all speculation but I think they'll even be useful in late because they just ignore certain abilities but enemies will keep wasting their turn trying to use them on the mimic. Imagine high level psi units wasting their time trying to mind control them and such.

Even if they only work in the early/mid game though they will still be super useful as a free way out of any bad pod you encounter for a turn.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah confirming:

GreenManGaming still has keys for $46.19 in their VIP section: http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Just login or whatever.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I also love how this is the top seller on Steam already. That's a big deal.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

splifyphus posted:

I'm not saying they shouldn't do support stuff, and I'm not saying that that support stuff isn't hell of dangerous when they have offensive units to back them up, I'm saying they should be smart enough to know when taking a shot is the best option (ie: when they don't have any cover from other units, when they have a flank, when they have a shot on someone who's damaged, when they can't run, etc).

In the book (which I'm not sure if it is 100% canon or not), they are pure psi units, and never fire a single shot. So them passing up shots to try and mind control someone is exactly in line with what little bit of the lore exists.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah confirming:

GreenManGaming still has keys for $46.19 in their VIP section: http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Just login or whatever.

Thanks, this worked!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone have any luck cancelling Preorders on Steam?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AlternateAccount posted:

Every new game on steam goes to top seller.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young

Fuzz posted:

Anyone have any luck cancelling Preorders on Steam?

Should be able to refund it like any other game.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Jamball is on now, telling begal off.

"Have something to eat you *unintelligible*"

E

Rougey fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 2, 2016

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

AlternateAccount posted:

Well it's not really having any competition (aside from Tomb Raider). The Withness is fifth and it's selling ~5000 units/day.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

splifyphus posted:

But ignoring them isn't dangerous at all, it's the ideal way to go. Beagle hasn't said anything disparaging about the sectoids, but from the first mission that had them he's vocally and deliberately pursued a strategy of going for the damage dealing units before the sectoids because it's not that big of a deal if they're the only units left on the field when the turn ends. If they run, they can be dealt with later. If they psy, they can be massacred by the rest of the now available squad. Either way, they probably won't take an extremely dangerous shot on your precious soldiers. It's a boring, cookie cutter tactical approach that only works because they're too predictable.

If they did shoot when it made tactical sense to do so then you'd immediately have a more dynamic battlefield with more unique choices for each situation. Leaving the sectoids for last wouldn't automatically be the best approach. You'd have to decide in the moment, and either way what's left at the end of your turn is going to try to up and gently caress you.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do support stuff, and I'm not saying that that support stuff isn't hell of dangerous when they have offensive units to back them up, I'm saying they should be smart enough to know when taking a shot is the best option (ie: when they don't have any cover from other units, when they have a flank, when they have a shot on someone who's damaged, when they can't run, etc).

The point is that ayys being inflexible and predictable is what makes Xcom work. It isn't a reality simulator. 4-6 troops getting into a fight with 3-5 troops is real world incompetence, because you are going to take unacceptable losses doing that, unless you have massive force multipliers. The Xcom Firaxis makes is like a tactical puzzle game. The puzzles will give you a bloody nose if you solve them wrong or don't damage control bad luck properly, but are pretty easy if you solve them right. You solve them enough times that you screw up sooner or later, and what matters is that the AI is dangerous to you then, even though it is predictable, and the fun factor is climbing out of the hole by knowing how the different ayys will behave.

What mixes things up isn't the AI being adaptive and a killer, but missing 80% shots, bad pod scatters, and needing to fit the 'obvious' tactics to the cover you have to work with.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I think it's fine that sectoids are support oriented but don't shoot. Conceptually the idea of a force multiplier unit is interesting and cool. The problem is if it's optimal to always kill them last and you just hope you kill everything fast enough that they're not a problem. There should be a compelling reason to kill the sectoid before his friends sometimes.

I'm going to reserve judgement before I play some myself, but if it turns out that leaving sectoids for last is always the right move I might throw together a mod to balance it out. My first thought is the Intimidate ability from EU if one of the sectoid's nearby allies dies from an attack that doesn't also damage the sectoid. Doesn't scale with enemy strength, and it has no effect if you use AoE on the pod, but it's highly significant early game with low-will rookies and the sectoids pod buddies being ADVENT goons that die in one hit.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Is the Central guy supposed to be Bradford?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

They tend to run and grab friends but it remains to be seen how scary that is compared to getting shot in the face by a trooper

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Tenzarin posted:

Every new game on steam goes to top seller.
Yes, for a while. Pre-orders have had it in the top 10 pretty much non-stop since the end of the Christmas sale, and it will likely stay there for quite a while.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Seems like a simple fix of making super good shots more of a priority than psi abilities.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kris xK posted:

Is the Central guy supposed to be Bradford?

after 20 years of living like a hobo in montana, yes

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I hope Jamball uses Rules of Nature more than Beagle. So many opportunities for chopping stuff up missed!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Speedball posted:

I hope Jamball uses Rules of Nature more than Beagle. So many opportunities for chopping stuff up missed!

Beagle seems to prefer scout specced rangers and honestly it seems like the machete is nearly useless if you're not Sword Man specced. Baseline sword can't match the shotgun's damage output and forces riskier positioning.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Coolguye posted:

after 20 years of living like a hobo in montana, yes

That worthless fucker should have stayed a hobo in Montana! Or better yet, Gary, Indiana! :orks:

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Was wondering where the old thread went! Amazing work on the OP. The Doorn videos in particular. Can't fuckin wait to get my hands on this game and get destroyed in classic difficulty.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Guys.

Guys.

I want this game.

Really badly. I'm so ready for some more loving X-Com. Also, there're no plans to bring this to iPad like they did with the last game, are there? Because this would probably make a fantastic morning train-ride game.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...
Sectoids should take good shots when they have them instead of ignoring flanking kill shots to raise a zombie

Grenadiers, Phantom scouts and Gunslingers are all incredibly strong

Jockeying the doom ticker is definitely the ideal geoscape strategy because it creates new time out of thin air that you wouldn't otherwise have against the Avatar project

XCOM 2 is an amazing game

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
GO

TO

BED

EDIT: Seriously though thanks for the stream, I'm working out of a clients public office today which can best be described as "boring as batshit" so you really made my morning.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 2, 2016

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Spiritus Nox posted:

Guys.

Guys.

I want this game.

Really badly. I'm so ready for some more loving X-Com. Also, there're no plans to bring this to iPad like they did with the last game, are there? Because this would probably make a fantastic morning train-ride game.

I can't possibly imagining this game fitting on an iPad.

That'd be cool though.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Spiritus Nox posted:

Guys.

Guys.

I want this game.

They said they won't.

Which is a shame, because the iPad EW port is solid and is the best game out for iPad.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Beagle posted:

Sectoids should take good shots when they have them instead of ignoring flanking kill shots to raise a zombie

Grenadiers, Phantom scouts and Gunslingers are all incredibly strong

Jockeying the doom ticker is definitely the ideal geoscape strategy because it creates new time out of thin air that you wouldn't otherwise have against the Avatar project

XCOM 2 is an amazing game

As a dude who used to think that I was too good to watch other dudes play video games, I just wanna say that you work some kind of magic to make it so enjoyable to experience the RNG with ~8500 other dudes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I have to work the entire weekend when this comes out :arghfist::saddowns: Goddammit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

64bitrobot posted:

I can't possibly imagining this game fitting on an iPad.

That'd be cool though.

Can it really be that much bigger than one, do you think? Most of the changes I've seen, besides the stealth bit at the start of new missions, seem more like refinements of existing mechanics than something that would add that much of a processing headache. I mean, they'd have to tone the graphics down, sure, but that's not why I'm on board anyway so whatever.

Cathode Raymond posted:

They said they won't.

Which is a shame, because the iPad EW port is solid and is the best game out for iPad.

Goddammit. Full stop? Explicitly said "we're not gonna do it?" Not just "we're not doing it right now?"

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I am not calling in sick on Friday to play this video game. I am 35 years old and cannot be doing that kind of poo poo anymore. I am not going to do it. I will not do it!

Probably gonna do it

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Spiritus Nox posted:

Can it really be that much bigger than one, do you think? Most of the changes I've seen, besides the stealth bit at the start of new missions, seem more like refinements of existing mechanics than something that would add that much of a processing headache. I mean, they'd have to tone the graphics down, sure, but that's not why I'm on board anyway so whatever.

Goddammit. Full stop? Explicitly said "we're not gonna do it?" Not just "we're not doing it right now?"

I don't know if they said "never" but I remember one of the previews saying that they wanted to beef up the graphics and focus on PC versions and had no plans to bring it to iPad, so I think it would be way too optimistic to hope for a tablet port out a year after the PC release like we did with EU, if we even see one at all. :cry:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I am not calling in sick on Friday to play this video game. I am 35 years old and cannot be doing that kind of poo poo anymore. I am not going to do it. I will not do it!

Probably gonna do it

Be a responsible adult and use a vacation day. That's what I did.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm working from home friday, so I'm going to pull some retarded 4am-noon poo poo or something so I don't waste a second of alien hunter barbie makeover time

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Probably gonna do it
Being Australian this probably comes out on Saturday morning for me, and while I recently advised by some friends that I allegedly agreed to organise a pub crawl that evening, apparently I'm coming down with a cold.

I also have tickets to a festival on Sunday that I got back before the game was pushed back before I noticed the release date was Feb 5, and I'm even toying with flogging them off.

What I'm saying is, chuck a sicky.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I am so glad right now that my crotchety old weakling PC is too geriatric to be burdened with X-COM 2 to tempt me into doing something extremely irresponsible.