Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Slate Action posted:

The general pattern is that in the Mythology episodes Mulder is an overeager idiot and gets conked over the head by men in black, and in the Monster episodes Scully is always wrong and gets conked over the head by werepeople.

Also, on this latest rewatch I'm really noticing how easily 30% of episodes of the show are "someone is taking revenge from BEYOND THE GRAVE and Mulder and Scully really can't do poo poo to stop it."

That reminds me of a great episode that might have already been mentioned by name. I don't remember the name of it, though.

A little girl is conspicuously nearby when some cops end up mysteriously murdered, and it turns out she's inhabited by the spirit of a dead cop who didn't wanna go along with a scheme involving the murder of some gangsters and hiding the financial evidence for their own use. The big clue happens when Mulder sees a blip on a video tape of the girl's regression session that turns out to be a freeze frame of the bottom of a salt-water fish tank at the original murdered cop's house.

I really liked that episode and would re-watch it occasionally from my grainy VHS over-the-air recording.

Googling reveals that it was a season 1 episode called Born Again. Funny, the picture I described is the picture on the wiki entry for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"A dead person possesses an alive person" was definitely one of the most overused concepts around the start of the show.

See also: "A person who's basically a vampire except they need a bodily fluid/organ other than blood"

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I like "Fire" more than most but it's a total clusterfuck of ideas that don't really connect with each other. You know, a Chris Carter episode!

I find "Born Again" to be just alright but that image of the diver's helmet is a great one. Even the show's most mediocre episodes tended to have a few cool little things like that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like the big reveal in Fire that Mulder is, in fact, afraid of fire.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Slate Action posted:

I like "Fire" more than most but it's a total clusterfuck of ideas that don't really connect with each other. You know, a Chris Carter episode!

Also had Mark Sheppard

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Slate Action posted:

Also, on this latest rewatch I'm really noticing how easily 30% of episodes of the show are "someone is taking revenge from BEYOND THE GRAVE and Mulder and Scully really can't do poo poo to stop it."

I kinda like that aspect of them. One of my favorite X-Files episodes is Die Hand Die Verletz and in that one Mulder and Scully never find out what is going on. It feels almost more realistic that way. Like that's how I could imagine a real life encounter with the paranormal going.

In terms of non paranormal episodes that are good, there is of course Pusher. I guess being able to talk somebody into hurting themselves is a little out there, but it's almost believable.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Ginette Reno posted:

I kinda like that aspect of them. One of my favorite X-Files episodes is Die Hand Die Verletz and in that one Mulder and Scully never find out what is going on. It feels almost more realistic that way. Like that's how I could imagine a real life encounter with the paranormal going.

In terms of non paranormal episodes that are good, there is of course Pusher. I guess being able to talk somebody into hurting themselves is a little out there, but it's almost believable.

Was gonna mention Pusher earlier, too. I really liked that one, and the follow-up episode where RPM returns. If I remember correctly, they really played up the "He's Back!" aspect of that episode when it originally aired, and even aired the original Pusher episode before the new one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

"A dead person possesses an alive person" was definitely one of the most overused concepts around the start of the show.

See also: "A person who's basically a vampire except they need a bodily fluid/organ other than blood"

This is true, but sometimes it really worked out. Adrian Tooms and the cancer vampire were both totally hosed up in great ways. E: and the brainpire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I watched the Millennium episode Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me tonight, to get pumped up for more Darin Morgan tomorrow... that episode is so good, but really, the visual gag of Uzi-toting Greys storming in on an alien autopsy is an idea hilarious enough that I want to see a whole episode about it.

SAAAATAAAAN! SAAAAAVE MEEEEE SAAAATAAAN!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

McSpanky posted:

This is true, but sometimes it really worked out. Adrian Tooms and the cancer vampire were both totally hosed up in great ways. E: and the brainpire.

Is brainpire the white dude with shark teeth or the albino African guy?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't forget fatpire. That episode is hilarious.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Is Pusher the "Cerulean blue is a cool breeze" dude? It's been a while but I remember loving that episode.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Pusher is the one episode I just can't bring myself to watch. I skimmed through it but there's something about the guy forcing people to do these awful things against their will that just drives me to a rage. I don't even think it's bad or anything, it just affects me on such a permanent level.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

crazy cloud posted:

Is Pusher the "Cerulean blue is a cool breeze" dude? It's been a while but I remember loving that episode.

Yep, that's the one. Just a great episode.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Man, I forgot entirely about Travelers. It almost felt like it could've been a launching point for a 1950s X-Files spinoff. Plus it has Darren McGavin and Fredric Lehne playing the same character, and Garret Dillahunt throwing up giant mouth spiders.

I'm sure the fandom went absolutely nuts when Mulder had a wedding ring. I love that it's just something Duchovny came up with for fun.

piratepilates posted:

Pusher is the one episode I just can't bring myself to watch. I skimmed through it but there's something about the guy forcing people to do these awful things against their will that just drives me to a rage. I don't even think it's bad or anything, it just affects me on such a permanent level.

I recommend not watching Jessica Jones if this bothers you. The main villain is basically Pusher, and he does a lot worse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Skinner gives the guy a cool savage beatdown in that one, if I'm thinking of the right episode. Like one of the better Skinner brutality moments, but then something really bad happens that you won't want to watch.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Jack Gladney posted:

Skinner gives the guy a cool savage beatdown in that one, if I'm thinking of the right episode. Like one of the better Skinner brutality moments, but then something really bad happens that you won't want to watch.

I love that RPM calls Skinner "Mel Cooley".

Skinner beat-downs are some of the greatest moments of X-Files.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Holy jesus I just got the most spooked by an X-Files episode I've ever been. I'm rewatching the episode Fight Club, I've seen it before, I know the whole gimmick of the episode, but the first time fake-MulderScully had their faces in frame I nearly poo poo my pants.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Dude always getting high near the strangest poo poo

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Dude

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Carrot Top is NOT looking good.

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.
I would be okay with it if the paint huffers replaced Mulder and Scully going forward.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Dear effects companies,

CGI MONSTERS LOOK FAKE AS gently caress.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

JetsGuy posted:

Dear effects companies,

CGI MONSTERS LOOK FAKE AS gently caress.

That was the best monster

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I don't like Internet Mulder. :smith:

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Kumail time boys :getin:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Was the guy who got attacked at the beginning Kumail?

e: guess so

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Were the paint huffers the same kids as the ones from the cockroach episode who were smoking the imported poo poo?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo this is really really really bad

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

walgreenslatino posted:

But Mulder has a cell phone and he is failing to operate it properly!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The score tonight is fantastic.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GutBomb posted:

Were the paint huffers the same kids as the ones from the cockroach episode who were smoking the imported poo poo?

lol that episode owned. Metal cockroaches

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

walgreenslatino posted:

You're bad, this is amazing so far

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

GutBomb posted:

Yeah that's the same people. The guy played Sock on Reaper.

Edit:
And the monster guy was Murray from Flight of the Conchords.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Is this mini-series supposed to be a parody of the original show?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Mister Kingdom posted:

The original series had a lot of lighthearted episodes (the cockroach one, the vampires in Texas, the one where Scully's dog was eaten, etc.)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It makes perfect sense to me that middle age mulder would be terrible at cell phones after years of being a hermit.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Swimsuit callback :vince:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GamingHyena posted:

The original series had a lot of lighthearted episodes (the cockroach one, the vampires in Texas, the one where Scully's dog was eaten, etc.)

How could you write a list like this and no include the COPS crossover episode which loving owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

This episode is called "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster!"

Why would you expect this to be a serious episode in the least

• Locked thread