Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Aesis posted:

Doubt it. Many 203 mm guns get 15.x km range so there's no reason to buff Mogami 203 mm range tbh. Also it'll absolutely kill off New Orleans (it's already subpar compared to Mogami/MK/Atago) because it has 203 mm with slow projectile speed (10.x seconds for 15.x km) and 15.x km range. Hell, even DM only gets 15.8 km range and 11 seconds shell speed (AND high arc).

e: With AA change New Orleans will be even worse off, with worse AA and same lovely guns. To buff Mogami's 203 mm would mean New Orleans will not be any better off than a Mogami apart from maybe armor. Even now Mogami can comfortably fight against Tier 8~10 US cruisers whereas US cruisers have to close in on range to have any chance.

Good points, but I think maybe all CA's in tier 8-10 need a slight range boost to ~17km and maybe US CA's need a slight rof buff. Not sure. Better grind Mogami while I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Any advice for dealing with the Clevelands really long TOT?

I went from playing New Mexico and the Murmansk to playing around with the Cleveland and I feel like aiming my shells using the aiming method in the OP doesn't work since they it takes an additional few seconds to hit the target compared to everything else.

Get close, don't engage at 14+km. Use islands etc to get to <10km, your 12 guns group up like nobody's business, and you can pen anything your tier or lower, and depending on whether you get lucky with the hits, AP will work versus higher tier cruisers as well. Your armor is 50% thicker than any other cruiser your tier and below, so angle it and use it to your advantage while scoring 5 citadel hits per volley.

No seriously the cleveland is amazing at brawling it out with other CAs, due to the shells going exactly where you need them at <12km, and turning or bouncing most shells shot at her. US guns only pick up the garbage ballistics arc when you push them to their extreme edge of their range, they only arc hard for the last 15% or so.

If a Mogami gets within about 8km, you can cripple her with a hit to her broadside, that will get literally 6/6 citadels from your front guns, and take almost all of her health. Do not go broadside with anything that has 203's though, you will enter citadel city, population you.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

AFT's range boost should have likely been reduced down to 10%, rather than removed all together. That said, I think the community would have been more accepting of it if it wasn't for the bullshit of the massive boosts to the Mikhail Kutuzov. Seriously, the drat thing decently outranges even the T10 cruisers - with their module upgrades, let alone base - despite being two tiers lower and having much smaller guns. It also basically has the same fire speed and turret rotation of the pre-nerf(the initial one) Mogami, which really makes it come across as a blatant "Hey, you liked that ship? Too bad, we're heavily nerfing it but you can pay $60 for this ship that does the same thing!" The penetration of its guns is way off too, as if you watched ichase's review of it, he was dealing heavy damage to a Yamato of all things with AP at a decent range. 152 mm guns should not be reliably penetrating either of the T10 battleships.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the aoba has such terrible shot grouping guys :qq:

I mean I'm garbage at actually aiming but the loving thing hits exactly where you point it even at 12 km, what more could you ask for
it worked out anyway, see:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Pfft, wait till you try US battleships. Shotgun at 5 km firing forward :v:

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

The Rev posted:

So should this go through, do we get a captain refund for AFT captains, or do we get hosed?

quote:

With the addition of new skills and changes to old skills, we're resetting all Commander points. Be sure to use your free respec before heading into battle!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I dont know what it is about games I get dunked on early but I always end up doing really well. Was down to about 15-20k in my Nagato within 3 minutes and managed to get a kraken game. Also RNG screwed me hard at the end of the round, was down to 103 hp and an enemy Nagato fired at me and I juked all his shots by a wide wide wide margin except for the 1 shell which was perfectly on target.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 1, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I hate it so loving much when I account for 99% of a ship's HP and some fuckhead spray-and-prays at the last second and gets the kill. When all these missions require kills.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Kesper North posted:

I hate it so loving much when I account for 99% of a ship's HP and some fuckhead spray-and-prays at the last second and gets the kill. When all these missions require kills.
Currently Stage 3 of Kaiju mission is 'Destroy 20 ships' which is annoying given that you get 0~2 kills per game. Then you have to hit enemy 600 times with main battery :stare:, then 50 fires then 1 million damage for 24 hours of premium. I am guessing people are grinding hard for that 24 hours premium.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Ok i looked at the Dev notes on the website and the little more in depth ones on the official forums, but i'm not seeing any info or specific statements on how AFT is going to get the :commissar: treatment. some info please ? (I have a St Louis captain that is a good part of the way to AFT :v: )

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kesper North posted:

Kill based missions are perfect for a grind that operates independent of player ability. They're loving awful.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

I dont know what it is about games I get dunked on early but I always end up doing really well. Was down to about 15-20k in my Nagato within 3 minutes and managed to get a kraken game. Also RNG screwed me hard at the end of the round, was down to 103 hp and an enemy Nagato fired at me and I juked all his shots by a wide wide wide margin except for the 1 shell which was perfectly on target.

I had a game in my tier 6 destroyer where I was brave early and paid for it. Rest of the game I had 300hp and I ended up doing 100,000 torpedo damage and capping out the enemy base to win 20 seconds before the game timer ran out.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Dont bother getting to AFT for the range increase, it's getting nerfed to hell.

All captains will be getting free respec's.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pacra posted:

All captains will be getting free respec's.

Guess I'll be using that to put my Zao captain's points into Concealment Expert.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Guess I'll be using that to put my Zao captain's points into Concealment Expert.

I dunno how good Concealment Expert is for a Zao, you're usually going to be lit up by planes in t10s?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pacra posted:

I dunno how good Concealment Expert is for a Zao, you're usually going to be lit up by planes in t10s?

I haven't done T10 in a while, but a lot of people have spoken highly of stealth-firing in the Zao.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the good advice a few pages ago! Here's another question:

So in Tanks and Planes, when I elite a vehicle, there's a box to tick that diverts all experience to the crew or pilot. Boats does not appear to have this box. Or is it just hidden somewhere I can't find it? I'd like to keep a few low level ships to gently caress around in, but the idea of them just endlessly accumulating xp that I'll never pay to turn into free xp is grating.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
So, it says I have zero pearls available, even though I have yet to spend any.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

8 straight losses in the Fubuki, 4 of them as top xp, never lower than 5th out of 12 on my team. One of those games the enemy had a Fubuki who got 7 kills because no one on my teams knows what their rudder is for. Three enemy cruisers were chasing/trying to box me in for almost the entire match too so our team should have had a decided firepower advantage. Infuriating.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

I haven't done T10 in a while, but a lot of people have spoken highly of stealth-firing in the Zao.

its pretty goddamn op, a dude i play with occasionally frequently does well with the boat, its just like running conceal expert on the atago except when you shoot your guns, YOU DONT GET SEEN

pretty insane poo poo

MREBoy posted:

Ok i looked at the Dev notes on the website and the little more in depth ones on the official forums, but i'm not seeing any info or specific statements on how AFT is going to get the :commissar: treatment. some info please ? (I have a St Louis captain that is a good part of the way to AFT :v: )
All skills that say "armament of 155mm or smaller" are being changed to say "armament of 130mm or smaller", IIRC. From 6 inches down to 5. This means no more AFT for the Omaha classes, Cleveland, Mogami, etc. DDs and the Atlanta will be just fine, and AA/Secondary range is still increased by the skill, which will be useful with the change to AA auras (long range aura damage up, short range aura damage down, long range aura range down).

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 2, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It said something about new skills. Anybody heard anything about that?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

In this update, we will add four powerful skills, each of which is useful in its own way.

A skill that will help you use secondary armament more effectively occupies Level 5. "Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament" turns off automatic fire completely, and Commanders will now have to use manual designation, so that the secondary armament guns fire at targets. These efforts will be rewarded with a significant increase in the accuracy of the secondary armament. This skill is mostly applied to the high-tier ships.

A similar skill, "Manual Fire Control for AA Armament", is on Level 4 and affects anti-aircraft guns. It significantly improves the manual designation for high-caliber guns and will interest those who intentionally increase the effectiveness of their AA guns.

The "Survivability Expert" skill will also be added to Level 4. It will increase your ship's number of hit points by a fixed value, multiplied by the Tier of the ship.

The "Torpedo Acceleration" skill will appear on Level 4. It will increase the speed of all torpedoes for aircraft and ships but will also reduce their range. While this skill is not always useful for aircraft carriers, it will surely help the Commanders of Japanese destroyers. Their torpedoes often have excessive range that can be sacrificed for more aggressive attacks.

The already familiar "Last Stand" skill will be moved to Level 2, becoming more accessible. The bonuses of the Expert Loader, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Vigilance, Jack of All Trades, and Last Chance skills have been increased.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Manual (more like Semi-Auto) Secondary Fire could get INTERESTING.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

wdarkk posted:

Manual (more like Semi-Auto) Secondary Fire could get INTERESTING.

I will enjoy this very much while grinding my Amagi.

Actually all of the skill changes seem pretty good, but they better allow a respec.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

NB: without AFT for the Mogami's 155s, the boat is worse than the Myoko in every way

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/053-developer-bulletin/

oh my
I think I'm gonna have a heart attack, hold me

THIS poo poo IS INSANE
+speed skill for torpedoes (YES), skills to buff AA and Secondaries if you manually choose targets (sure, 5 pointers, but GODDAMN), Last Stand to 2 points (HOLY poo poo), T7+ IJN DDs get a consumable to replace Smoke, which lets them reload torpedoes faster (WHAT THE CHRIST), the Essex and Midway being taken to the woodchipper, AA changes

is this christmas again?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

ranbo das posted:

The "Torpedo Acceleration" skill will appear on Level 4. It will increase the speed of all torpedoes for aircraft and ships but will also reduce their range. While this skill is not always useful for aircraft carriers, it will surely help the Commanders of Japanese destroyers. Their torpedoes often have excessive range that can be sacrificed for more aggressive attacks.

Is this a joke? Of course faster torpedoes will be useful for aircraft carriers. You drop just on the edge of arming distance anyway. The less reaction time the better.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

If only I could find 7 out of 10 of you online for next seasons ranked battles?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/053-developer-bulletin/

oh my
I think I'm gonna have a heart attack, hold me

THIS poo poo IS INSANE
+speed skill for torpedoes (YES), skills to buff AA and Secondaries if you manually choose targets (sure, 5 pointers, but GODDAMN), Last Stand to 2 points (HOLY poo poo), T7+ IJN DDs get a consumable to replace Smoke, which lets them reload torpedoes faster (WHAT THE CHRIST), the Essex and Midway being taken to the woodchipper, AA changes

is this christmas again?

I believe the special torpedo reload is only for the Hatsu and the Kagero, since they actually carried a torpedo reload historically, you can see the torpedo lockers next to the two launchers.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

I believe the special torpedo reload is only for the Hatsu and the Kagero, since they actually carried a torpedo reload historically, you can see the torpedo lockers next to the two launchers.

quote:

Fans of Japanese destroyers, famous for their long-range torpedoes, are getting a new one-use consumable: Torpedo Reload Booster. It allows for a near immediate second torpedo salvo! Hatsuharu, Fubuki, Kagero, and Shimakaze can equip this new Consumable but at the expense of their smoke generator. They can't have both. It's either concealment or... torpedo-ment.
Anyways, I wonder if this will be boosted by Superintendent or if there will be a premium version granting 2 charges. Probably not on the latter, but one can hope for the former.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Trip Report : Ranked matches are still terrible and are full of mind bogglingly awful people that bring a bad t7 into the match and do nothing, losing the match for you no matter how well you do.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Got my first kill via ramming today! Of course, it was more his choice than mine. Was in my Kongo shooting down the cruiser who was one of the last ships in the enemy fleet. While my main batteries were reloading he decided to ram me, so I turned my prow to his and met him head on. It did a lot more damage to me than I expected, although he did blow up as expected.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Got my first kill via ramming today! Of course, it was more his choice than mine. Was in my Kongo shooting down the cruiser who was one of the last ships in the enemy fleet. While my main batteries were reloading he decided to ram me, so I turned my prow to his and met him head on. It did a lot more damage to me than I expected, although he did blow up as expected.

Ramming does each ship's full health in damage to the other, modified by the relevant flag, so be careful if/when you get the opportunity to do so.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Lord Koth posted:

Ramming does each ship's full health in damage to the other, modified by the relevant flag, so be careful if/when you get the opportunity to do so.

Its not. Many variables are involved there. I am certain that weight of the ship matters a lot. My only Die Hard award I received in Fujin when I was rammed by Mitsuki. I had something around two thirds of my health and was stationary he had something like quarter-third of his health. He rammed me and died.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lady Morgaga posted:

Its not. Many variables are involved there. I am certain that weight of the ship matters a lot. My only Die Hard award I received in Fujin when I was rammed by Mitsuki. I had something around two thirds of my health and was stationary he had something like quarter-third of his health. He rammed me and died.

Speed is the factor. Over a certain speed, its always ship HP vs ship HP in damage, but below that threshold speed, it does less damage and just ticks rapidly over time.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

How long is project R going on for? if i finish the tier 4 and 5 kills plus the wins for cruiser, carrier and battleships i'll have a total of 236 pearls, should i give up or will there be another weekly reset next week?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Fizzil posted:

How long is project R going on for? if i finish the tier 4 and 5 kills plus the wins for cruiser, carrier and battleships i'll have a total of 236 pearls, should i give up or will there be another weekly reset next week?
Finishes next Sunday (14th) or when 6 million pearls is reached.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fizzil posted:

There'll be another reset, if you max out pearls before then, you should have no trouble knocking over the last few to 260 within a day, it won't reach 6 mill before then.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I downloaded the mod in aslains to tell how many shitters I'm playing with and against.

I was surprised to see how many bads there were at tier 9-10. Really remarkable. They play just like their ranking indicates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

jownzy posted:

I downloaded the mod in aslains to tell how many shitters I'm playing with and against.

I was surprised to see how many bads there were at tier 9-10. Really remarkable. They play just like their ranking indicates!

I downloaded it and was surprised to see a guy with a 42% win rate in my ranked games when I hit rank 5. Just goes to show how broken the system is.

He decided to do the whole "put his NC in reverse and keep firing at the enemy BB" and ignore the fact that all three enemy destroyers were making a beeline for him and he had no support. He died horribly.