Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Generation Internet posted:

As a dude who used to think that I was too good to watch other dudes play video games, I just wanna say that you work some kind of magic to make it so enjoyable to experience the RNG with ~8500 other dudes.

Despite my current fatigue I am very happy to know I have entertained in that regard. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I don't have any sick days to use up because the company that hired me got bought out by another one and reset my hire date :downsgun: so I get to work another whole year before I start accumulating sick days.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Beagle posted:

Despite my current fatigue I am very happy to know I have entertained in that regard. Thank you!

You are an incredible entertainer who kept me on the edge of my seat!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Beagle posted:

I thought you did a poor job of presenting the aliens' side of the story. Basically the whole stream was pro-human propaganda and I expect more objectivity in media figures :colbert:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Just to chime in, not many people have the gift to gab while also thinking fast on their feet and well enough. One can think fast and hard, but they can't yap to explain themselves well enough too. And one can yap, sure, but their mind goes completely sideways while doing so.

But you Beags, can do both of that in spades as very few people on the planet can. Well done indeed and keep it up. :)

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Spiritus Nox posted:

Can it really be that much bigger than one, do you think? Most of the changes I've seen, besides the stealth bit at the start of new missions, seem more like refinements of existing mechanics than something that would add that much of a processing headache. I mean, they'd have to tone the graphics down, sure, but that's not why I'm on board anyway so whatever.

Goddammit. Full stop? Explicitly said "we're not gonna do it?" Not just "we're not doing it right now?"

It's ~50 gigs.

Regarding 'calling in sick' chat. Thankfully, I am lucky in that I do not have any class on Friday in which to skip to play XCOM. This is because I know I absolutely would not be able to resist.

Beagle posted:

Unfortunately for me, I did in fact, have class today. And I was in fact, unable to resist watching the amazing stream.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So hey, check me on this. Nothing in the Reinforcement Pack actually unlocks on Friday, right?? The earliest any of it is available is "Spring 2016" so there's no particular reason for me to drop $20 on it right now?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The impression I got is drop 20 on it now and get the DLC for free as they come, or pay 5-10 for each one as they come out. Or whatever the prices will be, I'm terrible at pricing things.

It's basically a Season Pass with the name painted over and a new one stenciled in.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Cathode Raymond posted:

I don't know if they said "never" but I remember one of the previews saying that they wanted to beef up the graphics and focus on PC versions and had no plans to bring it to iPad, so I think it would be way too optimistic to hope for a tablet port out a year after the PC release like we did with EU, if we even see one at all. :cry:

You'll probably see ports in the future. All the interviews I've read indicated a good chunk of the PC-only release was that they felt they bit off more than they could chew in terms of support with EU's simultaneous release and the team size they had, and wanted to focus on their strongest market (and the one they have the most experience with) for the sequel's release. And 2K outsourced the tablet ports to another company anyway, and I'll be surprised if they don't have any eventual plans to do the same with XCOM 2 (and probably console ports as well) considering how they thought XCOM on mobile was a success.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jng2058 posted:

So hey, check me on this. Nothing in the Reinforcement Pack actually unlocks on Friday, right?? The earliest any of it is available is "Spring 2016" so there's no particular reason for me to drop $20 on it right now?

Cosmetic stuff. We know for sure old school EU style uniforms and other stuff.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Anarchy's Children looks to be the purely cosmetic one but the other two claim to add a new alien type and a new soldier class in Alien Hunters and Shen's Last Gift, respectively.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Anarchy's Children looks to be the purely cosmetic one but the other two claim to add a new alien type and a new soldier class in Alien Hunters and Shen's Last Gift, respectively.

I just meant you got some cosmetic stuff right away.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Beagle posted:

Jockeying the doom ticker is definitely the ideal geoscape strategy because it creates new time out of thin air that you wouldn't otherwise have against the Avatar project

Assuming Beagle is (hopefully) asleep, can someone who watched the Stream break down what this means exactly? :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ah, I see. Might wait on that, then.

Thanks!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Assuming Beagle is (hopefully) asleep, can someone who watched the Stream break down what this means exactly? :v:

When the doom tracker maxes out, you have a number of days before real game over. If you destroy a black site to push back the doom tracker you buy yourself more time. Beagle kept repeatedly ignoring the doom tracker to get to the countdown stage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

The tracker fills up over time, but certain events can remove pips from it. Once it gets to full, it starts an actual countdown clock (that seemed fairly generous for time). He implied that the clock getting to 0 is what lead to Bad Things, not the tracker getting to full like we thought previously. If you remove pips from the tracker during the countdown phase, you reset the tracker like you would normally. In essence, any time in the countdown phase is free time, because removing two pips at 10/10 tracker and 5 days to go leaves you with 8/10 tracker, just like removing 2 pips at 10/10 tracker and 45 days to go would. Doing it the risky way bought, essentially, 40 days of free time. Same thing with not reducing it early: you basically chose between two pips or two pips and a ton of extra time, with the latter being riskier if you gently caress it up.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Speedball posted:

When the doom tracker maxes out, you have a number of days before real game over. If you destroy a black site to push back the doom tracker you buy yourself more time. Beagle kept repeatedly ignoring the doom tracker to get to the countdown stage.

Mod name: Our Finest Hour
Half pips and countdown timer.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, basically when the doom tracker maxes out you have until the end of the month to do something that lowers it. While the tracker is maxed it obviously won't get any worse, so if you've played the game and know all the events that reduce the doom tracker and know that you have at least one of those events lined up then you can sit around and farm some extra missions or wait for upgrades, then knock the doom tracker down and start the whole cycle over again. This also means that if you're only a pip or two away from maxing the meter then having a bunch of things that max meter lying around aren't as much of a concern as they'd be for someone who's actually doing their best to keep on top of things and knock down the meter as fast as possible, since excess pips are wasted.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Huh. So you let the tracker fill by concentrating on other missions, start the countdown, let the clock go down for awhile, then and only then bump the tracker back?

I take it, then, that having dropped it down to 8/10, once the tracker goes back up to full you get a whole new countdown that you can exploit?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yup. He let the countdown start twice so far and shows no sign of stopping. As long as he's got a way to rewind the clock in his back pocket then he can surf forever.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Huh. I'm kind of semi-disappointing that you can do that! Then again, I kind of imagine it must be harder and harder to find them as things goes on.

I kind of imagine a mod or a patch to reduce the amount of time there is before the game 'ends' when you max the meter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oddly conflicted about that. On the one hand, having a definite fail state for a game as long as an XCOM campaign makes me :ohdear:; on the other, this fix goes against the Doom Clock's intent, for sure.

Wonder how difficult modding would be to remove the grace period. Probably not very.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Yeah I'm kinda surprised the counter is seemingly so large, like last I heard it was 12 days from one preview stream's experience with it, then was surprised when Beagle got 18, then even more when he got 22, and then he got another 22 day doom clock in the late middle of a month and I started to wonder if Beagleluck was kicking in again.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Gonna mod it so the game remembers where you left the Doom Count at 10 pips, and resumes it there next time you reach 10. :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

So I'm gonna guess I'm in the minority who admits he's a scared small child and appreciates that the timer resets when the pips get removed :v:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Beagle posted:

Don't start your streams at midnight on a weeknight, jerk.

(thanks for the bits I saw, finally put down some money on this despite the awful exchange rate at the moment)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So I'm gonna guess I'm in the minority who admits he's a scared small child and appreciates that the timer resets when the pips get removed :v:

I know that if the game doesn't have a way to kick me in the arse and get me moving, I'll stall forever.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

LightWarden posted:

Yup. He let the countdown start twice so far and shows no sign of stopping. As long as he's got a way to rewind the clock in his back pocket then he can surf forever.
I don't see why everyone's treating this like some game breaking exploit. Occasionally making strategic actions to push the doomsday clock back is the whole point, right? And it's not like the final grace countdown is there by accident.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I know that if the game doesn't have a way to kick me in the arse and get me moving, I'll stall forever.

Yeah. I think any game where you can hit a grinding holding pattern is annoying, because you're essentially coerced into either a.) grinding or b.) knowing on every loss that you could have just sat in a holding pattern first and won.

It looks like XCOM 2 is like XCOM EU where it's almost a roguelike but sacrifices some of the fundamentals for a more cinematic experience. This is what burned me out on EU (but after I cleared Classic Ironman a few times and got my moneys worth) but it's not even frustrating here because I can just mod it into being my dream replayable roguelike.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nnnnnnnn. This is going to be an annoying 72 hours.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Speedball posted:

I hope Jamball uses Rules of Nature more than Beagle. So many opportunities for chopping stuff up missed!

There is only one thing you need to know about karate. Guns beat karate, every time.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, how do you think Lily and Tygan compare to... gently caress, what's Shen Sr.'s first name? Anyway, do you like them better or worse then Shen Sr. and Vahlen?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So Bradford's Sweater is just one of those British commando sweaters right? Cause I've been looking at those British wooly-pullies and they're not that expensive. I bet I could get one before X-Com 2 releases and takes me to THE PROMISED LAND. I will command in full Bradford cosplay.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
This weekend I have to go to a holiday house and enjoy drinking with friends at the local wineries and beach in sunny 35° weather instead of sweating in front of a computer shooting aliens behind knee high walls, gently caress

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Exposure posted:

Yeah I'm kinda surprised the counter is seemingly so large, like last I heard it was 12 days from one preview stream's experience with it, then was surprised when Beagle got 18, then even more when he got 22, and then he got another 22 day doom clock in the late middle of a month and I started to wonder if Beagleluck was kicking in again.

The counter seems to be "until the the start of 28th of the month"- it was 18 days and change when Beagle was on the 9th day of the month and 21 days and change when he was on the 6th.

Edit: Oh, and he hit the timer one more time before he ended it, and it was 21 days and change on the 29th, so "until the start of the 21st of the month" if you're after the 28th.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 2, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
How many shenanigans will we be allowed to pull off to reset the timer before we run out?

Run out of shenanigans, I mean.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ho ho ho. You all need to get on my level.

For I, you see, am too disabled to leave the house. Some days, I'm even too disabled to shitpost.

What this means is I'll get to play XCOM 2 until I basically can't.

let me have this there has to be an upside

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I think this thread has conclusively proven that there is no such thing as "too disabled to shitpost".

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Ho ho ho. You all need to get on my level.

For I, you see, am too disabled to leave the house. Some days, I'm even too disabled to shitpost.

What this means is I'll get to play XCOM 2 until I basically can't.

let me have this there has to be an upside

I can always shitpost. What are you homebound for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

How many shenanigans will we be allowed to pull off to reset the timer before we run out?

Run out of shenanigans, I mean.

Basically, the Avatar-Project-setback missions will get more and more spread out as time passes. Which means you need MORE and more territory as the game goes. Which means dicking around for too long like Beagle did is not something you wanna do indefinitely.