Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

high six posted:

How the hell do you guys make enough C-bills to have all these different mechs?

First off: Premium makes a huge difference.
Second: Stop using consumables. If you make 80-100k a match and pop an arty and uav, you're going nowhere. I tend to carry arty, but only pop it if i can nail a clustered lance, or uavs if I really value more xp to spend less time in a lovely mech.
Third: The more damage you do, components you rip off, the more $$$ you get. A couple kills and a few assists can easily be the difference between 120K and 200-230-300K game.
Fourth: A cbill bonused mech amplifies all of those things, but it doesn't make up for getting chumped early and not doing a lot of damage. A setup that lets you do more trumps a cbill mech, but if you can combine the two...

Loyalty splatlas is great. Stormcrows are great.

The other part is: Stop spending cbills making Perfect Mechs. You don't need doubles and artemis on everything. Endo's usually pretty cheap, though.

Ask yourself if a mech is going to stay in your stable, are you going to basic it out or sell it back after? If you're going to elite or keep it, or play it regularly and/or find it fun, then dump money on it.
If you're one of those people who JUST can't live without doubles, well, thats 1.5m per mech. Some mechs need it.

Buying and stripping mechs will gradually build you up a part warehouse, and once you hit a certain mass you will stop spending $$$ to outfit mechs. Good example: Artemis. I've got 4 SRM4A's laying around, then the artemis upgrade cost on a new mech(350K or so) is pretty cheap and you can start paying for quality-of-life.

Because of this, every once in a while do a pass on your inventory and sell poo poo you don't need off. 99 single heatsinks and 3 standard xyz's you don't use? Free spacebucks.

Tldr; build mechs for total cost and income-spent-while-basicing, dump money on Fun Mechs. Turn profits on basic-and-ditch chassis to keep things fresh instead of grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Just installed the game and played for a few hours last night. Seems pretty fun, gonna play more later. It's basically World of Tanks with mechs, and I'm okay with that.

Side note, do I need to be in any way good to hang with the goon lance? This game seems like it'd be WAY more fun with some goons telling me what I should actually be doing.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

UWBW posted:

Side note, do I need to be in any way good to hang with the goon lance? This game seems like it'd be WAY more fun with some goons telling me what I should actually be doing.

Absolutely not, come play with goons.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Coolwhoami posted:

Absolutely not, come play with goons.

Cool. Also, I'm most assuredly way late to the punch on this, but why is there so much hate for this game? Everywhere I look (and by that, I mean I looked at the MWO subreddit's top posts) it's just nothing but hate for the game from back in 2014. I understand that the company behind the game made some bone-headed decisions, but surely the game is still fun, right?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

I miss the dayglo solid color Gargoyles. When are we getting that skin?

Literally the only reason to pilot a gargoyle

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Vatek posted:

This is a few pages back but can you post the build for this?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=120&l=435fc513e106518fb1b8f592257b16cce26394b7

I run way less back armor now.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

UWBW posted:

Cool. Also, I'm most assuredly way late to the punch on this, but why is there so much hate for this game? Everywhere I look (and by that, I mean I looked at the MWO subreddit's top posts) it's just nothing but hate for the game from back in 2014. I understand that the company behind the game made some bone-headed decisions, but surely the game is still fun, right?

It was great for about 3 weeks until they reset the meta back to long range with the new map (long range meta favors people using aim bots and wallhacks). Basically the Devs are hugely disconnected from how the game actually plays and constantly and consistently make really unusually boneheaded balance and map decisions. The CEO and his second in command are really bad game designers as well and almost everything they do makes things worse.

If they start banning cheaters again and implement the 4v4 game mode the game might really start to turn around.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 2, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

UWBW posted:

It's fun now but it wasn't fun for a long time, and the gap between what it was and what it should have been was very large

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
drat, no mech sale this week? I need my welfare mechs.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mauler costs were posted:

MAULER
MAL-1R - 11,903,674 C-Bills
MAL-MX90 - 8,250,810 C-Bills
MAL-1P - 11,603,674 C-Bills
MAL-2P - 8,834,724 C-Bills

So excited to grab that MX90 tomorrow :3:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Washout posted:

It was great for about 3 weeks until they reset the meta back to long range with the new map (long range meta favors people using aim bots and wallhacks). Basically the Devs are hugely disconnected from how the game actually plays and constantly and consistently make really unusually boneheaded balance and map decisions. The CEO and his second in command are really bad game designers as well and almost everything they do makes things worse.

If they start banning cheaters again and implement the 4v4 game mode the game might really start to turn around.
Honestly the new map isn't that awful. Just maneuver under cover and let the other team get frustrated and push up because they're not getting any/many shots.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Mauler costs were posted:

MAULER
MAL-1R - 11,903,674 C-Bills
MAL-MX90 - 8,250,810 C-Bills
MAL-1P - 11,603,674 C-Bills
MAL-2P - 8,834,724 C-Bills

So excited to grab that MX90 tomorrow :3:

Maulers any good, or are they just insane ballistic gimmick mechs (not really a bad thing)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't run into them often but I've decided that I don't like one looking at me.

I think folks here have said positive things about them. They're good ballistics platforms apparently and they look mean as hell so that's all I really want and need.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The new map is like an arranged marriage. Sure you hate it at first, but over time you learn to like it... and maybe, just maybe some day you'll love it.

I'd still rather play any other map

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Washout posted:

They can't ban cheaters right now, because the previous bannings were the result of tournament videos. With no active tournament videos, how are they going to ban anyone? They don't seem to have any way to detect hackers, so yeah

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I've legit had some really fun matches on New Map, brawling or otherwise

it is the least fun map to fight Team Helios on though

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Finster Dexter posted:

They can't ban cheaters right now, because the previous bannings were the result of tournament videos. With no active tournament videos, how are they going to ban anyone? They don't seem to have any way to detect hackers, so yeah

Yeah, if they actually name and shame these "large groups of people" that they are talking about, otherwise just more smoke and mirrors from Russ the lying idiot.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Pattonesque posted:

I've legit had some really fun matches on New Map, brawling or otherwise

it is the least fun map to fight Team Helios on though

It's easily the worst map in the game. Some maps are crap because pubbies choose to constantly go to one ares and get slaughtered. This map is just bad design. I have been in matches where they enemy wasn't spotted for 6 drat minutes. On top of that there is barley any cover for brawlers to move up so it is just a sniperfest.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Washout posted:

Yeah, if they actually name and shame these "large groups of people" that they are talking about, otherwise just more smoke and mirrors from Russ the lying idiot.

Honestly I think he is lying too. The whole point of waiting saying nothing and gathering up data on who cheats is valid. It keeps the cheat devs from changing their program to make it harder to detect. The very moment Russ announced the supposed ban wave he basically told the cheat devs "we can see you"". No reason at all to do that before actually banning people. Unless of course they aren't banning anyone.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

No Alpine is still irredeemable loving trash. At least if you're in a fast mech you can flank and poo poo on Highlands. Highlands doesn't randomly gently caress your team by spawning the Assault lance in the middle of loving nowhere either

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Raged posted:

Honestly I think he is lying too. The whole point of waiting saying nothing and gathering up data on who cheats is valid. It keeps the cheat devs from changing their program to make it harder to detect. The very moment Russ announced the supposed ban wave he basically told the cheat devs "we can see you"". No reason at all to do that before actually banning people. Unless of course they aren't banning anyone.

He's not telling them how he sees them which is the big deal. Woo so he can see cheaters - until they know how pgi detects them it does nothing to guide their development. How is this a hard thing to grasp?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baudin posted:

He's not telling them how he sees them which is the big deal. Woo so he can see cheaters - until they know how pgi detects them it does nothing to guide their development. How is this a hard thing to grasp?

Eh, by announcing it, you tell the cheat devs they are being detected, and give them a chance to examine how that works in live code. That can play both ways, you might want to confirm cheaters by watching for the updated cheat and seeing if you can detect it.

I don't think Russ has the ability to play these types of mind games, though. They should have issued a press release / announcement saying they take cheating seriously, and that they are following the industry norm of banning in waves, not piecemeal, to make best use of their resources. It would have calmed people for a little while, and if the bans came about, built a good bit of confidence.

Instead, he's faffed all about on twitter and in the town halls, without producing anything meaningful. They don't understand their game, and they don't understand the meta about their game, and it's really disappointing, because there are plenty of examples to learn from.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So this is over a page late, but you dumb shits argued about mechs that look like their name and no one brought these abominations up? Click and despair.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/ProtoMech

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Sard posted:

So this is over a page late, but you dumb shits argued about mechs that look like their name and no one brought these abominations up? Click and despair.

Thats we need in this game, robo-titties.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I bought the Atlas D-DC a while ago when I was too broke to configure it properly, and then I forgot about upgrading it until today. Finally playing it properly with Artemis and oh my god :black101:

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
What about the Stone Rhino?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stone_Rhino_%28Behemoth%29

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

You missed metal coyote and rubber godzilla suit

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Hell yeah

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I will never get over how dumb this piece of poo poo looks. :allears:

Edit: Of course the clans had to breed a new type of pilot for these things. Hahahahahahahahahaha. The clans are the worst.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 2, 2016

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It's like they were trying to figure out how to cut into Rifts' market share

Tujague fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 2, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

I will never get over how dumb this piece of poo poo looks. :allears:

Edit: Of course the clans had to breed a new type of pilot for these things. Hahahahahahahahahaha. The clans are the worst.

Nah, they just crammed failed aerospace pilots into them. Gotta do something with all those creepy Aeromental hybrids too big to fit in fighter jets and too small for anything else but target practice. :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The lore behind ProtoMechs was fine and they're interesting in gameplay, it's just the visual design that was disastrous.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Small world. I was gonna just post that three of them were actually really cool looking, and it turns out the guy who drew them is the same guy working at PGI now.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hobgoblin
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Boggart
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sprite

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So I made a new account to check out the new player experience and the name is actually really good.

I also saw the worst huginn

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

EoRaptor posted:

Eh, by announcing it, you tell the cheat devs they are being detected, and give them a chance to examine how that works in live code. That can play both ways, you might want to confirm cheaters by watching for the updated cheat and seeing if you can detect it.

I don't think Russ has the ability to play these types of mind games, though. They should have issued a press release / announcement saying they take cheating seriously, and that they are following the industry norm of banning in waves, not piecemeal, to make best use of their resources. It would have calmed people for a little while, and if the bans came about, built a good bit of confidence.

Instead, he's faffed all about on twitter and in the town halls, without producing anything meaningful. They don't understand their game, and they don't understand the meta about their game, and it's really disappointing, because there are plenty of examples to learn from.

the cheats haven't been updated in 3 years and they are still being used today so obv they dont really think PGI has found anything out

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

The lore behind ProtoMechs was fine and they're interesting in gameplay, it's just the visual design that was disastrous.

Flying Debris the head art guy for PGI went through the effort of redrawing most of the old Protomechs.

He's also did the art for all the new protomechs from the newer protos and super protomechs that come in later.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Merf posted:

Flying Debris the head art guy for PGI went through the effort of redrawing most of the old Protomechs.

He's also did the art for all the new protomechs from the newer protos and super protomechs that come in later.

That's actually pretty good, yeah.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Gimme a gamemode that's just Protomechs.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Sard posted:

these are all amazing idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I've been working on a list of tonnage available by group size. If someone could post the min and max tonnages for 10 and 12 man groups, it would help. I haven't been in one today to copy numbers.

• Locked thread