Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Touchwiz on the Note 5/S6 series phones is finally actually pretty good, with the exception of update speed and memory management.

What exactly are these 'memory management' issues? How do they manifest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

binarysmurf posted:

What exactly are these 'memory management' issues? How do they manifest?

Multitasking/keeping apps in memory. My Note 5 is very poor at this compared to my Nexus 5 or 6 and this is apparently a known Touchwiz issue.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Sometimes when I hit the power button on my Nexus 6 it vibrates and brings up my camera. Do you guys know what setting menu I go to to turn this off? Or even exactly what button press I'm doing to activate it? I've tried replicating it and I can't. Long press, short press, power + up/down volume, I can't figure it out. If I knew exactly what activates this feature then I could avoid doing it, but it seems completely random. There doesn't seem to be anything in the camera app settings so I'm kind of at a loss.

edit: If it matters, this only began happening after the marshmallow update

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 2, 2016

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Inspector 34 posted:

Sometimes when I hit the power button on my Nexus 6 it vibrates and brings up my camera. Do you guys know what setting menu I go to to turn this off? Or even exactly what button press I'm doing to activate it? I've tried replicating it and I can't. Long press, short press, power + up/down volume, I can't figure it out. If I knew exactly what activates this feature then I could avoid doing it, but it seems completely random. There doesn't seem to be anything in the camera app settings so I'm kind of at a loss.

Double tap power button does this. Unsure if you can disable it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yep, that's it, thanks. So simple I feel like an idiot trying so hard to replicate it... If it cannot be deactivated it's a dumb feature, but at least now I know how try and avoid it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It can be deactivated in settings > display > press power button twice for camera

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks! Why on earth would they put that setting there?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Inspector 34 posted:

Thanks! Why on earth would they put that setting there?

Because they had to put it somewhere. Why would you turn it off? Double power for camera is one of my favorite little tweaks to the platform. So much easier to pull out the phone and take a quick pick.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Daily Forecast posted:

Thanks, what I wanted to know. Guess I've been using my battery all wrong.

Given, older rechargeable battery technology (I want to say Ni-Cad?) benefited from a preference for depth of discharge, with a lack of smart charging causing degradation if left in the charger too long. Basically, your use pattern worked for rechargeable folks had in the 90s for their gameboys but improvements have changed that.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I'm noticing on my Nexus 6P that I'm not getting gmail notifications, like at all. I actually have to go into the app and refresh it manually. Google tells me this is an issue lots of people are experiencing; anybody know of a fix? I don't remember this happening to the 5X I briefly owned.

FAUXTON posted:

with a lack of smart charging causing degradation if left in the charger too long.

Are modern lith-ion batteries hurt by being left on the charger at full?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Daily Forecast posted:

So I'm noticing on my Nexus 6P that I'm not getting gmail notifications, like at all. I actually have to go into the app and refresh it manually. Google tells me this is an issue lots of people are experiencing; anybody know of a fix? I don't remember this happening to the 5X I briefly owned.

No, they will stop pushing current to the battery at full, and "ask" for current as needed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

Because they had to put it somewhere. Why would you turn it off? Double power for camera is one of my favorite little tweaks to the platform. So much easier to pull out the phone and take a quick pick.

Maybe he has no interest in taking pictures? I know I never want to.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

FunOne posted:

Because I only rarely take pictures, and when I do it's not a spur of the moment type of thing. It's just been really inconvenient to have my camera pop up randomly (or so I thought) and occupying a couple seconds of my time.

I'm sure it's great for people that use their camera more regularly. I'm just glad there's an option to turn it off. Now that I know the key press to do it I might try and leave it on for a while to see if I like having easier access to my camera, but for now I think I'll keep it off since I apparently double press my power button with some regularity.

^what that guy said

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Maybe he has no interest in taking pictures? I know I never want to.

Can't say I blame anyone with a Nexus 6 or any prior Nexus phones for not wanting to take pictures with it.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

hooah posted:

I'm using Google's Messenger, but I'm using LightFlow to manage vibrations and sounds. I turned off LightFlow's quiet hours or whatever, but haven't had the time to test it with that off yet.

Your issue is you've got the wrong mental model of how Lightflow works. Lightflow doesn't directly control the sound/vibrate/LED pulses of other apps, what it actually does is create its own bespoke notifications with the custom sound/vibrate/LED patterns you set and sets them to trigger when the relevant apps post the real notifications.

So what's happening is the notification doorman is doing what it's supposed to and blocking Lightflows sound/vibrate from entering the VIP lounge, and letting Messenger's sound/vibrate through because it's on the guest list. Except Messengers sound/vibrate doesn't even show up since you've disabled them due to using Lightflow.

The ultimate solution is exactly the opposite to what you've done: enable Lightflow to work in priority via Notification settings, and then utilize whatever quiet hour/exception functionality it has to make things manageable.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

You're not getting notifications because the phone is dozing, and the notifications won't come through when the phone is in deep sleep.

Go into the app settings and have it ignored from dozing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

You're not getting notifications because the phone is dozing, and the notifications won't come through when the phone is in deep sleep.

Go into the app settings and have it ignored from dozing.

I've done this on a Nexus 6 and I still get a handful of delayed emails when I pick up the phone and open Gmail. Hangouts notifications are also a little spotty, though not as bad so maybe just a Hangouts thing. I've excluded both from doze and didn't really notice a difference before and after.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
After a month of Nexus 6P ownership I still love it, but how the gently caress in this day and age can we still have hosed up Bluetooth on a modern phone? It's not like it's a new goddamn technology.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vagrancy posted:

The ultimate solution is exactly the opposite to what you've done: enable Lightflow to work in priority via Notification settings, and then utilize whatever quiet hour/exception functionality it has to make things manageable.

This doesn't seem to work with Moto's Active Display. I told LightFlow not to torn the screen on during priority mode, but it still did. I guess that was sort of expected since the test SMS was from my wife, but then there wasn't any sound or vibration, which should happen for starred contacts even in priority mode.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Seriously, it's 830am, and I just found out I had three emails from 2am to 715am by loading up Gmail on my laptop. Open Gmail on my phone, no new emails, manually refresh, then they show up. I already have it set in Settings -> Apps -> Battery optimization to have Gmail "not optimized." Is there anything else I can change in settings? I'm glad Google worked on idle battery drain, but I'd rather have stuff sync instantly like it used to. Nexus 6, Marshmallow, totally stock.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

This doesn't seem to work with Moto's Active Display. I told LightFlow not to torn the screen on during priority mode, but it still did. I guess that was sort of expected since the test SMS was from my wife, but then there wasn't any sound or vibration, which should happen for starred contacts even in priority mode.
I feel the solution is to stop using Lightflow to make sounds.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ninmeister posted:

After a month of Nexus 6P ownership I still love it, but how the gently caress in this day and age can we still have hosed up Bluetooth on a modern phone? It's not like it's a new goddamn technology.
What's hosed up about it? I've not noticed anything, and I use both a BT headset and a Wear device.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

hooah posted:

To clarify I meant the OS Notification Settings, not Lightflow's. If you long-press a Lightflow Notification in the notification shade and press the i button is the Priority switch toggled on? If it is and you're still not getting the sound/vibrate you expect then either Lightflow is busted or Motorola broke something fundamental.

RVProfootballer posted:

Seriously, it's 830am, and I just found out I had three emails from 2am to 715am by loading up Gmail on my laptop. Open Gmail on my phone, no new emails, manually refresh, then they show up. I already have it set in Settings -> Apps -> Battery optimization to have Gmail "not optimized." Is there anything else I can change in settings? I'm glad Google worked on idle battery drain, but I'd rather have stuff sync instantly like it used to. Nexus 6, Marshmallow, totally stock.

First, that battery optimization toggle is actually for the "App Standby" feature and has no effect on Doze. The only way to bypass Doze is to be a system app.

Second, the cause of your problem is actually this random Marshmallow bug: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197805

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vagrancy posted:

To clarify I meant the OS Notification Settings, not Lightflow's. If you long-press a Lightflow Notification in the notification shade and press the i button is the Priority switch toggled on? If it is and you're still not getting the sound/vibrate you expect then either Lightflow is busted or Motorola broke something fundamental.

Yeah, I figured out how to allow LightFlow to be priority. Bummer; I guess I'll follow Tunga's suggestion and just use LightFlow for vibration patterns. And go back to Nexus for my next phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vagrancy posted:

First, that battery optimization toggle is actually for the "App Standby" feature and has no effect on Doze. The only way to bypass Doze is to be a system app.

Second, the cause of your problem is actually this random Marshmallow bug: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197805

Awesome, thanks for the info. Am I correct in (roughly) interpreting Doze as the system grouping all maintenance activity into short bursts, so that sleep/idle is only interrupted infrequently yet all apps can keep doing background stuff during those system-determined windows, and app standby is a more Apple-esque shutting down some/all background activity allowed for an app if the user hasn't interacted with it in awhile, the phone is on battery, and it has no active user-facing notifications? Doze seems clearer to me. I'm not sure which apps have processes running, which seems to exempt them from being put on app standby anyway. Also how do the two interact? If an app is placed on app standby, can it do anything during a later Doze maintenance window? Or would any app that is primed to do something during a Doze window already be exempt from being placed in standby (process running, notification to display, whatever)?

Also, good to hear the Gmail thing is just a bug and not an intended battery-saving thing!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

Thanks for posting this. I'm not crazy!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Assembly has nothing to do with where the parts actually come from. Working for a supplier for Apple, having knowledge of their qual process and participated in their joint-qual process (albeit for PC components), yes Apple is traditionally the most difficult to qual for; more difficult and having more stringent standards than even many enterprise OEMs we supply for. The comment about Apple generally sourcing the best parts is correct and well-documented even in the mobile space, to the point where other OEMs have publicly commented that they can't always get the good poo poo (even if they wanted it) because Apple has locked down the supply chain.

This has nothing to do with quality control, which Apple doesn't do any more then any other major manufacture and everything to do with volume.

Apple wants to pump poo poo out so they do.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

ilifinicus posted:

What's hosed up about it? I've not noticed anything, and I use both a BT headset and a Wear device.

In both of my Fords (as I type this, yes it might be a Ford Sync problem I guess), it will randomly disconnect and refuse to reconnect until a reboot. This didnt happen with any other phones I've used with it.

Also, it will not connect to my Sena SMH10 Motorcycle communicator 90% of the time, yet my cheapo Moto E will connect perfectly, as did my previous Droid Turbo.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ninmeister posted:

In both of my Fords (as I type this, yes it might be a Ford Sync problem I guess), it will randomly disconnect and refuse to reconnect until a reboot. This didnt happen with any other phones I've used with it.

Also, it will not connect to my Sena SMH10 Motorcycle communicator 90% of the time, yet my cheapo Moto E will connect perfectly, as did my previous Droid Turbo.
The only thing I can then think of is that BT4.2 (Nexus 6P) is not receiving the "hi I'm not BT 4.2, but something else" handshake from the devices you are using it with, and it's trying to tell them things they don't like and crashes.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

ilifinicus posted:

The only thing I can then think of is that BT4.2 (Nexus 6P) is not receiving the "hi I'm not BT 4.2, but something else" handshake from the devices you are using it with, and it's trying to tell them things they don't like and crashes.

It's really random, which is the most annoying. It will work for days and then suddenly a big "gently caress you" will hit. It's fun!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ninmeister posted:

It's really random, which is the most annoying. It will work for days and then suddenly a big "gently caress you" will hit. It's fun!
Funnily enough, I have the opposite experience. My Jaybird X-2's will randomly just power off if I'm something that moves way too fast (like a train), and it never did this with my old Note 3. With the Note 3, the Note 3 would crash and reboot when this happened, not the headset :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ninmeister posted:

It's very very likely that this is an Android problem, not a Ford problem.

I have had this exact behavior on at least 4 devices in 4 different car makes and 2 different aftermarket head units.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vagrancy posted:

At least it's on their end and not mine. Until they've fixed it I've downloaded BlueMail and that seems to get notifications just fine; the only problem with that is that BlueMail is kinda poo poo.

edit: And now gmail notificiations suddenly work fine again, wtf

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 2, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Woke up this morning to find that my LG G4 installed Marshmallow while I was sleeping. Didn't even have to wipe which is nice.

But gently caress Canadian carriers for delaying it this long.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

It's very very likely that this is an Android problem, not a Ford problem.

I have had this exact behavior on at least 4 devices in 4 different car makes and 2 different aftermarket head units.

Yeah, I just got a Moto X Pure that's running 6.0 and I'm witnessing the same behavior in my car (2015 Dodge Dart with uConnect).

Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes it just connects, refuses to play anything through bluetooth, then disconnects by itself. Pretty annoying.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Maybe your American cars just suck at Bluetooth. I have owned many phones in the last 3 years I had my current car, but have yet to run into any problems

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bronin posted:

Maybe your American cars just suck at Bluetooth. I have owned many phones in the last 3 years I had my current car, but have yet to run into any problems

Mines barely American; it's more fiat then anything. Built on a fiat platform and all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After saying forever that I didn't have an issue with Play Music playing randomly when connecting to Bluetooth, the bug finally hit me.

About 70% of the time when my phone connects to my car (it doesn't even need to be on the Bluetooth input) Play Music will start an alphabetical queue of every song in my library. I can clear the queue, clear the cache in the app, force close, restart the phone, it doesn't matter. New queue with every track, in ABC order, spontaneously.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Look at all these people, living in the 21st century, and not just using an aux cable like a neanderthal would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

After saying forever that I didn't have an issue with Play Music playing randomly when connecting to Bluetooth, the bug finally hit me.

About 70% of the time when my phone connects to my car (it doesn't even need to be on the Bluetooth input) Play Music will start an alphabetical queue of every song in my library. I can clear the queue, clear the cache in the app, force close, restart the phone, it doesn't matter. New queue with every track, in ABC order, spontaneously.

My car/phone also autoplays whenever it connects to bluetooth, but it's always picking up from where it left off in whatever album/playlist I happened to be listening too. The ABC order and new queue is...strange.

I wish I was semi-competent at photoshop so I could make and buy the :android: in the form of :dice: