Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

These college kids.......so stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

zVxTeflon posted:

I wonder if they deliberately went after the African American History category first because of last year's viral picture:

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

I don't know, looks more like an Applebees to me.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wonder if they deliberately went after the African American History category first because of last year's viral picture:

They even put it on the left side this time!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Goddamn Lester Holt interrupted Final Jeopardy. It was Yosemite, right? And they all got it wrong?

Edit: Oh. Grand Canyon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think the best was a bunch of college kids not getting that wow question years back when it mentioned leeroy jenkins.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Oh my gosh Kevin how do you attend LSU and not manage to be at least peripherally aware of SEC football.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Today I learned that Passover is in November and that a Roosevelt was president in 1800

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
please dont collegeweek shame

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

zakharov posted:

Today I learned that Passover is in November and that a Roosevelt was president in 1800

Passover was at least a pretty credible Jeopardy-style football pun.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Passover was at least a pretty credible Jeopardy-style football pun.
My first thought, as a New Yorker: "wow, I guess they really don't have any Jews in Alabama"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Pitt girl lost because of an extra "the." Ouch.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

zakharov posted:

Pitt girl lost because of an extra "the." Ouch.

That pissed me off. It's "ON the origin of species", they all got it wrong. She was just a little bit wronger.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Unkempt posted:

That pissed me off. It's "ON the origin of species", they all got it wrong. She was just a little bit wronger.

I mean, if we want to get technical:

quote:

On the Origin of Species, published on 24 November 1859, is a work of scientific literature by Charles Darwin which is considered to be the foundation of evolutionary biology. Its full title was On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. 

But it goes on to say:

quote:

In the 1872 sixth edition "On" was omitted, so the full title is The origin of species by means of natural selection, or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life. This edition is usually known as The Origin of Species

So I'd say with or without the 'On' counts, and I guess bonus points if they include the rest of that jibber-jabber.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

Quoting for Noah, who was guaranteed to come back if he wagered nothing

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Vulture Culture posted:

Quoting for Noah, who was guaranteed to come back if he wagered nothing

He had no idea how well the other wild-card semi-finalists did. So he made what I guess he thought was a safe bet. But how one can miss getting Ford as the only president who never got inaugurated, I have no idea.

Wow, the wild-card slots got really damned convoluted this time around...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GhostStalker posted:

He had no idea how well the other wild-card semi-finalists did. So he made what I guess he thought was a safe bet. But how one can miss getting Ford as the only president who never got inaugurated, I have no idea.

Wow, the wild-card slots got really damned convoluted this time around...

Do they not get to watch the other games? I'm pretty sure I've seen people doing strategic betting on Friday because they know the threshold for a wildcard spot before, but I wouldnt swear to it

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Do they not get to watch the other games? I'm pretty sure I've seen people doing strategic betting on Friday because they know the threshold for a wildcard spot before, but I wouldnt swear to it

Nope, other contestants get kept in the green room watching a movie or whatever while the games they aren't participating in are being played, same as all other tournaments. If they could watch the other games, the people who played later games would have an advantage in knowing how much they needed to win in order to take a wild-card slot.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Woo, a Golden Bear! Easy on the eyes, too.

But more importantly...how do you miss Gerald Ford.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How the gently caress were there that many ties

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hahaha that ruled. I was hoping they'd bring them all out for a tiebreaker question.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

zakharov posted:

Hahaha that ruled. I was hoping they'd bring them all out for a tiebreaker question.
This happened in one of the recent high school tournaments, right?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

zVxTeflon posted:

How the gently caress were there that many ties

This has been a weird rear end season.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The two new contestants are so goddamn slow at picking questions and I want to punch my screen

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

This has been a weird rear end season.
We've only had a single player since the Tournament of Champions that's even managed a three-game streak, right? Last season there were eleven players with five-game streaks, and one of them was Alex Jacob. This pool has been super underwhelming.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Aww yea guessing the Final Jeopardy answer before they cut to commercial. :smug:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I am a fan of Disney World Bus Driving Man

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

surrender posted:

The two new contestants are so goddamn slow at picking questions and I want to punch my screen

I'll take "Reading out the entire name of this really long category" for the sum of four hundred dollars exactly, Mr. Alex Trebek, sir.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

zakharov posted:

I am a fan of Disney World Bus Driving Man
Yeah, he's got that same unlikely-champion everyman appeal that made me like Greg Seroka so much towards the end of last season. I hope he can push it to 5 because absolutely none of the contestants this season post-Matt Jackson are remotely ToC caliber.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
How is a picture of LL Cool J the $2000 answer in the Celebrities category? He just hosted the Grammys!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
A whole category for Boston's Freedom Trail!?!

Hell yeah, I ran that one!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Holy hell, that was a good game

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
That really was a great game. Disney Bus Driver hits 2 $10,000 Daily Doubles but isn't even close to a runaway thanks to young John Malkovich catching fire at the end. Final was fairly easy so was real bummed to see Chris lose after such a well-played game.

I wonder what the highest winning score for someone who didn't hit a single daily double is. Tim's $46,500 without even pulling a DD clue is pretty impressive.

The Piper fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 18, 2016

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What an awesome game. Chris deserved to win for having the guts to bet $10k twice but such is life. $46,599 payday yowza

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I was wondering why the guy who won didn't try to find the DD in the last category instead of starting at the top, but I guess it worked out in the end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he was morally right and thus won. gently caress the people that hunt around.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Nothing about Lex these past few days?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So...how long after the online test do they send out notices if they want you for the next round?

I'm assuming I would have heard by now? :smith:

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
It can be a long time. I took the January 2015 test and got the audition email last month and I auditioned last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
For Canadian J! fans who couldn't sign up for the test, I just saw this trending on Facebook.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2016/02/19/why-canadas-anti-spam-laws-may-be-keeping-canadians-off-jeopardy.html

Canadian anti-spam laws may be to blame.