Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Since I'll finally have a chance to teach them to myself and maybe the gf this week, how do Argent and new Through the Ages work with two players? My first impression is that TTA should be fine but Argent would work better with 3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Radioactive Toy posted:

Since I'll finally have a chance to teach them to myself and maybe the gf this week, how do Argent and new Through the Ages work with two players? My first impression is that TTA should be fine but Argent would work better with 3 or 4.

TtA is certainly good with two, but it's a very different game than with more, because every point you stop your opponent getting is a point you gain, whereas in 3+ you're not just benefiting yourself when you cost an opponent points to no specific gain of your own.

COuldn't comment on Argent though.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Argent actually works quite well with two players.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Death Angel was a great investment this week. Fun solitaire games really pay off.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Has anyone played A Study in Emerald? I'm thinking about picking it up because I like Neil Gaiman and I like Betrayal at House on the Hill thematically (but find its gameplay too random to be satisfying).

I think my main concerns, which I'm hoping folk can dispel, are that it'll be:
  • Directionless. A number of the people I play with really have trouble when they have to choose what they'll do without strict guidance. (I don't understand how a turn in Smash Up can be considered confusing.)
  • Too Long. Is it always gonna take like three hours to play or might we be able to consistently wrap up in closer to one hour?
  • Too complicated. I've heard a bit of this on BoardGameGeek but the 2nd Edition supposedly clarifies the rules which I have yet to read.
  • Infeasible with 3 people. I'm sure it wouldn't be optimal, but it's hard to get a big gang together.

To those who have played: am I worrying over nothing or are a number of those hang-ups going to bother me?

Also:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Any good boardgame podcasts? I drive a lot for work and it'd be nice to listen to something in the car.

I've enjoyed what Game Design Round Table I've listened to. It's not always about board games, but frequently it is, and the design discussion is generally engaging.

Also also:

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there a Cthulhu worker placement game yet? Maybe something like Orleans where you have an exploration board looking for Cthulhu relics while your citizens and academics are busy trying to advance far enough to fight it off?

From what I can gather, A Study in Emerald has worker placement, Cthulu, dynamite, and Sherlock Holmes. My theme-heavy gaming buddies should love it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Emerald is totally not a good game for your group based on all those things. It can be long confusing and directionless, and ideally needs four players. I only have played first edition but from what I understand even the second one isn't likely to be streamlined enough for your group. I like it but wouldn't play it without pretty hardcore people - there are many better titles for more casual groups. What itch are you looking to scratch?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So SUSD posted a how-to-play video for Fury Of Dracula. I want to learn the rules so I can teach it, and have heard the rulebook is not great, but in the description for the video they already mention 2 important rules they left out regarding sea spaces. Has anyone watched it and can tell me if it's at all useful, or if it's just going to mislead me?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Radioactive Toy posted:

Argent has rules for a two player variant and the game is still great, but it becomes a VASTLY different game than when there are multiple players. One of the things I found in two player argent was a much greater emphasis on delaying the spaces you take for fear of being disrupted when compared to the main game. Weird tempo plays like you and your opponent each playing a fast action spell and grabbing a bell tower when you both have multiple workers left because you are fighting over one particular resource that you need to clinch a voter but both of you also have relevant disruption and it becomes a game of who can delay taking that action better. At least that is how it has played out when I have tried it. I found it a lot of fun, but there is far less chaos and information overload than in even 3 player argent.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Argent is real good two player IMO but I don't like the suggested 2 player setup. I recommend 8 university tiles (always infirmary B) and 5 mages per player, rather than 9 tiles and 7 mages. You can probably still exclude great hall B but I don't care for great hall period so I swap it out if it gets dealt anyway. Initiative/Popularity/Resourcefulness in the belltower if you're playing without expansion, or initiative +2 dealt randomly each turn from the expanded belltower cards if you have it. Also remove all second-most voters from the consortium before dealing

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

signalnoise posted:

It's ultimately a very simple game. The idea is that you get an advantage for pillaging an unpillaged zone, and there's limited space on the zone, so you create a situation where if someone contests you they will lose. Cards are used to present an upper hand when you're outmanned, so you can turn a losing fight into a fight that you win. You try to keep momentum by dominating the board, but this is balanced by the fact that you also want to lose as many units as you can when the chosen zone of the round blows up.

Pillage without losing your poo poo-> Don't lose fights-> Be the last person standing and die gloriously (for bonus points)
Did Eric Lang design another game about Vikings and Ragnarok? This sounds like something I've played before.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hahahaha Pandemic: Cthulhu had dice rolling. Even more pathetic, it's dice rolling to determine how much sanity you lose. What's originality!? :fuckoff:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

Did Eric Lang design another game about Vikings and Ragnarok? This sounds like something I've played before.

Midgard. Blood rage is somewhat based on it, but much better.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

signalnoise posted:

I played it at first with no exclusives at all and it felt just fine.

The kickstarter exclusives for blood rage all feel like expansions and I don't like missing out on them. Especially stuff like the monsters. With Arcadia Quest not having the kickstarter stuff just feels like I'm losing a bit of choice rather than actual game mechanics and I'm not a fan of that.

I don't think I'd get The Others: Seven Sins if I wasn't getting the kickstarter stuff for a pretty similar reason.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Andarel posted:

Midgard. Blood rage is somewhat based on it, but much better.

Thanks, I was looking for Vikings and finding a completely different game.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bottom Liner posted:

Hahahaha Pandemic: Cthulhu had dice rolling. Even more pathetic, it's dice rolling to determine how much sanity you lose. What's originality!? :fuckoff:

My Facebook feed is abuzz with excitement for this game, because geeks are the worst

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blamestorm posted:

Emerald is totally not a good game for your group based on all those things. It can be long confusing and directionless, and ideally needs four players. I only have played first edition but from what I understand even the second one isn't likely to be streamlined enough for your group.

Study in Emerald 2E is different enough to be a different game. It's half the play time, and once you get people over the thing where you score points for both sides but only count points for your own side at the end it's pretty simple.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played Keyflower with 6 other new people as we fumbled our way through our first session. Final scores, four in the 30s, one 40s and one goddamn shark had nearly 70 points.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Played Twilight Imperium again for the first time in about a year a week or so ago. I wish they'd do a re-release because everyone I played with (all new to it) loved the setting and the races, ships, techs, planets. They just didn't like the way you win.
Nobody ever likes those "I spend 20 resources" ones especially because the first assumption is that they've spent 20 resources that turn rather than they're spending 20 resources on that card. Feels like you've not done anything all that turn even though in actuality it's the best possible way to spend them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is Dreadball any good? I got a complete team in a Mantic crazy box, so I'm considering getting the game.
It seems pretty big now, with multiple seasons and a ton of teams so I guess it can't be all bad. I should probably say that I enjoy Blood Bowl and such games.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

burger time posted:

So SUSD posted a how-to-play video for Fury Of Dracula. I want to learn the rules so I can teach it, and have heard the rulebook is not great, but in the description for the video they already mention 2 important rules they left out regarding sea spaces. Has anyone watched it and can tell me if it's at all useful, or if it's just going to mislead me?

It's useful to ask other players to watch it as it's rather brief, but I wouldn't sit down to teach the game having only watched that vid. There's another video of a guy teaching that's more than twice as long but definitely covers all bases and basic strategy, and a cool tips for using the Dracula minimap. No idea what it was, phone posting, but it was a four part series.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Electric Hobo posted:

Is Dreadball any good? I got a complete team in a Mantic crazy box, so I'm considering getting the game.
It seems pretty big now, with multiple seasons and a ton of teams so I guess it can't be all bad. I should probably say that I enjoy Blood Bowl and such games.

To quote myself from about a year ago from the start of the thread:

Magnetic North posted:

I played a demo of Dreadball last PAX east, and even though I got the 'simple' version, I couldn't get over just how much goddamn dicerolling and (to borrow some Shadowrun 3rd ed parlance) "target number" changing there was. You compare strengths and position and if you ran to determine how many dice you roll. That part is fine, but then your opponent rolls opposing dice to counteract them. It gums up the works so hard, and makes it take forever. As I played, I kept thinking: if I wanted to play something where I would have endless combats with many dice on both sides that took forever to figure out and resulted in very little after counteracting effects are taken into account, I would play 40K.

I still have not played it again so that is as far as I can say.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I didn't have a problem with the opposed dice rolls, honestly. It takes a little bit of getting used to but it works out. You get a wider range of results, with opponents being able to double you, etc. I do like the flexible activations and the small number of players- keeps the game moving.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm looking to sell my complete season 1-3 set because I don't get to play it enough, but it's better than any other violent sports game out there. Mantic also listen and act when there are concerns or imbalances, and their solutions are pretty good too.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Getting a used copy would be great. But odds are that you aren't in Denmark, so shipping it would cost all the money in the world.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Played Twilight Imperium again for the first time in about a year a week or so ago. I wish they'd do a re-release because everyone I played with (all new to it) loved the setting and the races, ships, techs, planets. They just didn't like the way you win.
Nobody ever likes those "I spend 20 resources" ones especially because the first assumption is that they've spent 20 resources that turn rather than they're spending 20 resources on that card. Feels like you've not done anything all that turn even though in actuality it's the best possible way to spend them.

The expansions come with loads of new/more interesting public objective cards, if that is all you are after.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

hoiyes posted:

It's useful to ask other players to watch it as it's rather brief, but I wouldn't sit down to teach the game having only watched that vid. There's another video of a guy teaching that's more than twice as long but definitely covers all bases and basic strategy, and a cool tips for using the Dracula minimap. No idea what it was, phone posting, but it was a four part series.

burger time posted:

Here is that longer video series that was mentioned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNJnuYvFAm0&list=PL7Qp2acDumba9-uTVNGlOA4S-5K46qqq-

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Electric Hobo posted:

I love Dreadball. There are a lot of rolls but they feel impactful and you can lose a roll BADLY without losing your turn. Also, Mantic put out a PDF with all the team stats, what they can do, and a reference sheet of what positions can do what and what the roll is for each position. Once you get used to what can be done, and what the stats are for your team, the rolls get pretty fast. But that is true of every minis game I think.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

Candy land houserule: Draw 2 cards, pick one. Played this with my kids when they were 2. Learn colors, learn decision making, learn to look at the board.

The first time your kid picks a red over a double yellow which is impulsively better because they land on a shortcut, you will be so proud. Beyond that, every time they have to read the super simple board state to see which color is better for where they are.

Gives you something to do with that game cause grandma bought it because she knows how you love board game.

Move to castle panic and 3-4, and flash point at 4-5.

Ask my about gaming with toddlers through teenagers.

Edit: Another Candyland rule you can use, you can play the dessert cards (the ones that send you to a space) on yourself or another player, its not a difficult decision but it prevents the leader from getting send back to the start and blissfully lowers the length of the game.

Wow that's really excellent advice. Gonna try that next time.

When do they develop the ability to understand and play chess?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Bombadilillo posted:

Candy land houserule: Draw 2 cards, pick one. Played this with my kids when they were 2. Learn colors, learn decision making, learn to look at the board.

The first time your kid picks a red over a double yellow which is impulsively better because they land on a shortcut, you will be so proud. Beyond that, every time they have to read the super simple board state to see which color is better for where they are.

Gives you something to do with that game cause grandma bought it because she knows how you love board game.

Move to castle panic and 3-4, and flash point at 4-5.

Ask my about gaming with toddlers through teenagers.

Edit: Another Candyland rule you can use, you can play the dessert cards (the ones that send you to a space) on yourself or another player, its not a difficult decision but it prevents the leader from getting send back to the start and blissfully lowers the length of the game.

My (just turned) 5 year old sat me down and showed me how to play some boardgame I didn't know we owned called 'find the treasure' or something like that. It's like a simple carcassonne. This was different than the regular activity of screaming PAW PATROL, PAW PATROL and making airplane noises so that was exceptional and exciting.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My (just turned) 5 year old sat me down and showed me how to play some boardgame I didn't know we owned called 'find the treasure' or something like that. It's like a simple carcassonne. This was different than the regular activity of screaming PAW PATROL, PAW PATROL and making airplane noises so that was exceptional and exciting.

Not to derail too far into Dadchat but I don't let my kids watch Paw Patrol for exactly that reason. I try to keep them primarily on PBS shows.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Applewhite posted:

Not to derail too far into Dadchat but I don't let my kids watch Paw Patrol for exactly that reason. I try to keep them primarily on PBS shows.

Separated and there's not much we can do about house#2. We don't get to goalie out all that poo poo :\

Kid also likes spinning dice. He can pick up any d20 and spin it on the table so it goes for like a minute every time without fail like it's his autistic super power. Like a year ago I had some friends over and were waiting for someone running behind (who never showed up) so we played a very silly D&D 5e (or D&D Next, whatever) where he made up a story about going to a magical place called "Spooky planet" to get our cats fur back from a badguy who stole it. I was GMing the game and whenever we needed plot direction I just asked him what happened next and then I rolled with it. It sounds dumb as hell but it was so surreal and hilarious in the best kind of way. He got to roll dice and see the story play out ahead of him, but he also had to share the story with other people... he was fascinated and he got to practice some play direction sharing which is tough at that age. It was also a really good imagination builder.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Separated and there's not much we can do about house#2. We don't get to goalie out all that poo poo :\

Kid also likes spinning dice. He can pick up any d20 and spin it on the table so it goes for like a minute every time without fail like it's his autistic super power. Like a year ago I had some friends over and were waiting for someone running behind (who never showed up) so we played a very silly D&D 5e (or D&D Next, whatever) where he made up a story about going to a magical place called "Spooky planet" to get our cats fur back from a badguy who stole it. I was GMing the game and whenever we needed plot direction I just asked him what happened next and then I rolled with it. It sounds dumb as hell but it was so surreal and hilarious in the best kind of way. He got to roll dice and see the story play out ahead of him... he was fascinated. It was also a really good imagination builder.

Literally Axe Cop.

Applewhite posted:

Wow that's really excellent advice. Gonna try that next time.

When do they develop the ability to understand and play chess?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19918/no-stress-chess worked for my kids.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Thanks to everyone for the advice about 2p Argent and TTA. Excited to get them to the table soon.

Thread favorite (ha) David Sirlin has a new LCG up on Kickstarter today. Looks interesting enough. I'm wondering where it will lie on the Pandante -> Puzzle Strike goodness spectrum, but $200 is a little ridiculous for the Deluxe Set.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 2, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rutibex posted:

The expansions come with loads of new/more interesting public objective cards, if that is all you are after.

I have all the expansions. Some of the specific cards I'm talking about are in the picture you've got there!

It doesn't feel right when you're playing. Trying to fight two space battles against 3 or more enemies and win for example seems illogical, often it'd (theme wise) hurt your empire more than help it. Or getting three techs of the same colour, you just pick up whatever instead of having a logical progression. I guess the best way to put it is that it doesn't "flow" right. It's too much like filling tickboxes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

I have all the expansions. Some of the specific cards I'm talking about are in the picture you've got there!

It doesn't feel right when you're playing. Trying to fight two space battles against 3 or more enemies and win for example seems illogical, often it'd (theme wise) hurt your empire more than help it. Or getting three techs of the same colour, you just pick up whatever instead of having a logical progression. I guess the best way to put it is that it doesn't "flow" right. It's too much like filling tickboxes.

It's an abstraction, they are trying to approximate the Civilization/Master of Orion winning mechanic of diplomatic/tech/conquest/economic victory conditions, without having the game drag on for weeks instead of days. You need to think of the RP reasons for the conditions yourself a bit, maybe your race is particularly naturally aggressive, and fighting space battles improves public opinion on the homeworld or something.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Radioactive Toy posted:

the Pandante -> Puzzle Strike goodness spectrum

Oh? Is Pandante bad? I've been curious about it, but I've only ever heard things from the Sirlin cult hype machine.

Also, everything I've heard about Codex's gameplay sounds interesting, but wow the art is mediocre.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright board game thread, I need your help. I'm getting a head start on my spring cleaning, and I'm eyeing my shelf of empty board game boxes.

Is there really any conceivable reason i should be keeping all the boxes from Dominion expansions/LCG force packs/etc? I have storage solutions for pretty much everything, and I don't ever plan on reselling anything (and if I do, I can deal with selling things without all their original boxes)...but I can't bring myself to toss all those boxes "in case I need them later". Am I being foolish? Should I just trash everything that's just taking up space?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't know if Pandante is good or bad but it seems like it solves a dumb problem and I don't even like poker that much to begin with. I feel like I talk up Sirlin a lot on this thread so I want to say that I'm not backing this Kickstarter. Sirlin has some really good ideas but this game doesn't have an online version that has been hyper playtested like Puzzle Strike so I'm wary of playing it until more people start slamming with it on a competitive level.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jivjov posted:

Alright board game thread, I need your help. I'm getting a head start on my spring cleaning, and I'm eyeing my shelf of empty board game boxes.

Is there really any conceivable reason i should be keeping all the boxes from Dominion expansions/LCG force packs/etc? I have storage solutions for pretty much everything, and I don't ever plan on reselling anything (and if I do, I can deal with selling things without all their original boxes)...but I can't bring myself to toss all those boxes "in case I need them later". Am I being foolish? Should I just trash everything that's just taking up space?

You should just toss the unnecessary boxes, but I understand your reluctance. I have a bunch of boxes for BB Team Manager expansions that are empty because I fit them all into the core box, there is no reason to keep them yet I do. At some point I should just recycle them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Indolent Bastard posted:

You should just toss the unnecessary boxes, but I understand your reluctance. I have a bunch of boxes for BB Team Manager expansions that are empty because I fit them all into the core box, there is no reason to keep them yet I do. At some point I should just recycle them.

Part of it stems from my attraction toward collecting "things". I have my amiibo collection mounted on my wall. I have a spice rack full of Super Sentai ranger keys. Seeing an entire shelf taken up with (empty, pointless) boxes that say "Dominion" on the side pleases me for no good reason.