Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Spoeank posted:

If the X-Files revival was just this episode it would have been worth the 14 year wait.

This, honestly.

I did like the previous episode too, but this one is now the reason I would sincerely recommend that people watch this mini season of the X-files. I enjoyed this one so much. I was laughing hard in nearly every other scene and the references to old episodes and fan theories were great.

I am so happy that they decided to do this kind of episode in a 6 episode season.

And it was great to see Murray (from Flight of the Conchords) in the absurd were-man role.

This episode totally made my day. Really awesome episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Castor Poe posted:

Great ep, it had everything I wanted from a Darin Morgan episode and some more (i.e the return of the legendary red speedo). At the end of the day it was probably his weakest effort, which speaks volume on how great of a writer he is.

Yeah, it was probably tied with "War of the Coprophages" for me -- without repeat viewings, obviously -- which still puts it in the top quarter of X-Files episodes. At least.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also the line about finding out death is pretty good. Like it just kinda seems cheesy and cliche when you hear it, but after the reveal its actually a bit sad.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
That episode kicked rear end. Rhys Darby stole every scene he was in. Loved the gently caress out of it.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Holy poo poo, what an episode.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Just watched the episode. God dammit Darin Morgan why do you have to be so perfect.

Also this just makes it more clear that the show really needs to end on an episode like this and not a logy Chris Carter episode, but alas.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 2, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Last night's episode was truly the best so far of the revival. I was really looking forward to them addressing the fact that now everyone has cameras and yet no increase in sightings of UFOs.

The scene where Muler was just exasperated realizing that 90% of the poo poo he ranted about in the series is a quick google search away to disprove was hilarious and sad (for him) all at the same time. I was hoping he'd talk about the Nasca lines or the SOLWAY FIRTH SPACEMAN or something.

Finally, was I the only one who noticed Scully said the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" poster was hers?

Slate Action posted:

Just watched the episode. God dammit Darin Morgan why do you have to be so perfect.

Also this just makes it more clear that the show really needs to end on an episode like this and not a logy Chris Carter episode, but alas.

The sad part is that to me, I realize I'm in the minority here, but I always really liked the mythos episodes. Carter wasn't the only one who wrote those though, and I honestly am bad about knowing who wrote what episodes. It's just sad and disappointing to me that after all these years the two new mythos episodes we're getting are a dump of hysteria and a Alex Jones lunatic.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

JetsGuy posted:

The sad part is that to me, I realize I'm in the minority here, but I always really liked the mythos episodes. Carter wasn't the only one who wrote those though, and I honestly am bad about knowing who wrote what episodes. It's just sad and disappointing to me that after all these years the two new mythos episodes we're getting are a dump of hysteria and a Alex Jones lunatic.

I like the myth episodes too, for the most part. But it wasn't always like this. It's easy to forget that Carter wrote "Duane Barry," which is a myth episode and one of the best episodes of the entire run. But it's not 1994 anymore, and episodes like "My Struggle" (which I should stress I didn't hate or anything) aren't displaying the show's strengths as well as episodes like last night's.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
TV ratings were down significantly. Still beating The Bachelor though!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Slate Action posted:

I like the myth episodes too, for the most part. But it wasn't always like this. It's easy to forget that Carter wrote "Duane Barry," which is a myth episode and one of the best episodes of the entire run. But it's not 1994 anymore, and episodes like "My Struggle" (which I should stress I didn't hate or anything) aren't displaying the show's strengths as well as episodes like last night's.

He also wrote the S2-S3 three parter, which I liked a bunch. Two Fathers / One Son was also good but probaby more Spotnitz).

I didn't *hate* the opener so much as I just felt like it was entirely too much too fast which as we've said is a hallmark of Chris Carter episodes. Or at least, when he tries to jam them into one episode. Actually, looking at the list of his writing credits for the series, I think almost all of the ones he wrote that I liked a lot were 2/3 parters. lol. It should also be noted Duane Barry set up a three parter (which he didn't write the other parts of).

It also just felt like he tried to hard to modernize it to us which is jarring. It would have been better to just throw us into it rather than give 14 years of exposition. As if Mulder wouldn't have been calling Scully every day with some new conspiracy theory.

Slate Action posted:

Iowa.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
That episode instantly jumps into my top 5. Everyone was perfect. Tyler Labine AND Kumail. Just perfect all around.

Also the tombstones. "Nothing says thank you like cash."

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 2, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JetsGuy posted:

Finally, was I the only one who noticed Scully said the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" poster was hers?

Scully bought him a replacement poster after the original got destroyed somewhere around season 6 or so.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

howe_sam posted:

Scully bought him a replacement poster after the original got destroyed somewhere around season 6 or so.

he also destroyed a poster in the first episode back

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

howe_sam posted:

Yeah and it's a different UFO photo than the first one. Scully needs to make sure that she's surrounded by things that comfort her, since she's immortal and all.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

PBS Newshour posted:

That was really good and I am glad Scully has a dog again.

Well, Queequeg didn't exactly have a happy ending. Here's hoping this one will.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Holy moly, that was fantastic. Rhys, Kumail, everything. Anderson and Duchovny clearly having fun. I can't get over how well this would have fit in the original run.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Absolutely amazing episode. This one makes up for the last two and then some.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
This was a fantastic episode.

I now feel more determined to watch the original series

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

howe_sam posted:

That's right, I literally remembered CGB Spencer burning the office as soon as I posted.

PBS Newshour posted:

he also destroyed a poster in the first episode back

Also forgot that.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ravane posted:

This was a fantastic episode.

I now feel more determined to watch the original series

Man the 90s had so many great shows.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Holy poo poo that was good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

People tend to forget that, at the time, X-Files absolutely had the capacity to be one of the funniest shows on TV. This was a hilarious episode.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Edit: Actually don't know what I'm talking about.

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 2, 2016

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Rhys Darby was on point as the monster.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
Rhys nailed the character, really enjoyed that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slate Action posted:

2.6 is really good these days.

Also, that was an all time great episode candidate, Darin Morgan is magic.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I thought it was a little too goofy sometimes

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I just can't get over the idea that a few days as a human was enough for this (presumably) ancient creature to want to off himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spoeank posted:

I just can't get over the idea that a few days as a human was enough for this (presumably) ancient creature to want to off himself.

One of Darin Morgan's things is this idea that consciousness is actually a terrible thing for human happiness.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Spoeank posted:

"I felt the need to get a job. On the second day of my job, I realized I hated my job and wanted to quit. Then I remembered that I needed my job so I could have a mortgage."

KILL ME MULDER

Such a great episode.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Yeah and it's a different UFO photo than the first one. Scully needs to make sure that she's surrounded by things that comfort her, since she's immortal and all.

It's been a while since I watched old X-Files, can someone refresh my memory on what they're referencing when she reminds Mulder that she's immortal?

Also, how many goons in this thread switched their ring tones to the theme song after this episode? I wanted to, I resisted the temptation since I'm obviously not hardcore enough to recall why Scully is immortal.

Edit: does it have something to do with Scully being around when Mulder goes back in time when he went into the Bermuda Triangle?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

It's been a while since I watched old X-Files, can someone refresh my memory on what they're referencing when she reminds Mulder that she's immortal?

Also, how many goons in this thread switched their ring tones to the theme song after this episode? I wanted to, I resisted the temptation since I'm obviously not hardcore enough to recall why Scully is immortal.

Edit: does it have something to do with Scully being around when Mulder goes back in time when he went into the Bermuda Triangle?

In one episode, a man who can foresee how people die tells Scully she "doesn't".

In a later episode, one with a camera that can photograph Death, an immortal man "steals" the reaper when he comes for Scully. He himself was immortal because someone else "stole" his reaper.

The first was written by Darin Morgan, I don't know about the second. It's nothing that's ever explicit, but it cropped up as a fan theory and people associated with show are always coy about it being true.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Let's be honest, it's a running joke. (But a good one.)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's also smaller supporting stuff like the ouroboros tattoo she gets at the end of Never Again, and the time loop episode "Monday" where the day keeps resetting until it plays out in such a way that Mulder and Scully don't get blown up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Let's be honest, it's a running joke. (But a good one.)

Oh yeah, the first mention is absolutely a joke by Morgan, or a meta-commentary on how Dana Scully is a character so of course she can't actually die, but I believe that the X-Files was one of the first widely discussed on the Internet shows, so the producers probably picked up on this popular fan theory and gave it a couple of shout outs.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's pretty awesome. I figured it might also have something to do with how she's a character in a TV show so she'll never really *die*, so it was like a meta-joke but it's cool that they poked a little fan theory like that.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's also smaller supporting stuff like the ouroboros tattoo she gets at the end of Never Again, and the time loop episode "Monday" where the day keeps resetting until it plays out in such a way that Mulder and Scully don't get blown up.

Somehow it never occurred to me that the time loop episode was related but it fits well.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

AndyElusive posted:

Also, how many goons in this thread switched their ring tones to the theme song after this episode?

If someone could give me a link to a good quality one I'll definitely do it.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I just rewatched the episode and goddamn, that picture of the "rock monster" surrounded by babes will never cease to crack me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

The first was written by Darin Morgan, I don't know about the second.

I had to look it up because it was bugging me, Tithonus was a Vince Gilligan episode.

• Locked thread