Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In any case, what you're complaining about is the glory of the reveal. 12 year olds playing out power fantasies get to deal with their space ninjas being weak 12 year olds. :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

AlphaKretin posted:

In any case, what you're complaining about is the glory of the reveal. 12 year olds playing out power fantasies get to deal with their space ninjas being weak 12 year olds. :mmmhmm:

It's why I love it so much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AlphaKretin posted:

It really does rule on multiple levels and this is my favorite particular layer. It trolls a particular group really hard.

The child soldiers angle and transferred consciousness also works pretty well on a straight faced narrative level as well but man the tears are worth any price

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah, I loving loved that part of Second Dream.
It also makes some of Alad V's jabs at Tenno (You) retroactively better.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Talking about lore in this game makes no sense because the devs make poo poo up on the spot. The reason we are a teen in this game is to increase the mainstream appeal in order to make more money. The art is still fantastic and will probably always be.

edit Sorry forgot spoiler and someone quoted already. Fix pls

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 2, 2016

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FunkyFlashman posted:

Talking about lore in this game makes no sense because the devs make poo poo up on the spot. The reason we are a teen in this game is to increase the mainstream appeal in order to make more money. The art is still fantastic and will probably always be.

I wouldn't say on the spot, they had been hinting about this story pretty hard for a long time. Its not revolutionary but it works well within the context of the game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm back to the game after a year or so. I picked up Ember and the twin Graks and it's just great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Your warframe has a base animal intelligence like a friendly dog. Rhino Prime in the codex was feral. That is my interpretation anyway.

That makes warframes keeping kubrows weird.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Anyone intersted in stalkerdogge before I try and sell it to pubs? I needs that saryn skin :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 2, 2016

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SynthOrange posted:

That makes warframes keeping kubrows weird.

Goofy and Pluto.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Shine posted:

I'm back to the game after a year or so. I picked up Ember and the twin Graks and it's just great.

If you haven't already, make a Sonicor and put Blast damage on it. Have fun with your new Warframe pinball machine.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I wouldn't say on the spot, they had been hinting about this story pretty hard for a long time.

What are you talking about? Example?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The bits where the mission intro screen where your ship flies up and/or drops you off would "glitch out" and hint cryptically at how some kind of transmission was being interfered with and needed rebooting real quick springs quickly to mind.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

FunkyFlashman posted:

What are you talking about? Example?

Warframes not having a human inside has already been hinted by how they designed the helmets. Many of the helmets cannot fit a human head. Also the fact that we can switch warframes which has different body types and boob sizes. Lotus has been rewritten from early builds where her dialogue became more and more "mom-like". Months before Second Dream, they even started (still going) random event where during mission loading you'd get an error message in Orokin/Tenno alphabet about having link problems. Not to mention a lot of blurbs in codex and then later through Simaris.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
You could interpret every single bit of that in many many different ways. The reason they do that is to make us discuss about it. Worked very well and we had many pointless discussions about space ghosts here.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The first lore that would support the teen operator is ancient at this point.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Oldest Man posted:

Your warframe has a base animal intelligence like a friendly dog. Rhino Prime in the codex was feral. That is my interpretation anyway.

Exactly! They're domesticated! Though by that logic, that makes Valkyr the abused, beaten dog who still snaps at people occasionally even after being rehomed because of Alad's experiments and peeling her skin off to put on his Zanuka :smith:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Exactly! They're domesticated! Though by that logic, that makes Valkyr the abused, beaten dog who still snaps at people occasionally even after being rehomed because of Alad's experiments and peeling her skin off to put on his Zanuka :smith:

....oh. Oh wow. That uh. Makes a lot of sense. And uh. Wow. Explains why Zanuka is blue. I'm suddenly very uncomfortable now.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....oh. Oh wow. That uh. Makes a lot of sense. And uh. Wow. Explains why Zanuka is blue. I'm suddenly very uncomfortable now.

Makes you wonder why we keep saving his skin over and over again, right?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

FunkyFlashman posted:

You could interpret every single bit of that in many many different ways. The reason they do that is to make us discuss about it. Worked very well and we had many pointless discussions about space ghosts here.

I don't get what you're annoyed/displeased/angry about with the lore. Last I checked, all lore was developed to be interesting/cause a ruckus/drive conversation/boost sales. In every game/tabletop/fantasy/book from the beginning of time. Why is it weird here? Because they introduced it late into development?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 2, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FunkyFlashman posted:

edit Sorry forgot spoiler and someone quoted already. Fix pls

But mainstream appeal is pretty much the opposite of the effect it had.

They definitely weren't making things up as they went, or at least haven't been for a while now. There were only ever two plausible explanations for the Warframe and the Tenno based on the information (primarily in character lore entries from the Primed Warframes) they had given us: Transferred consciousness, or the Tenno being basically a brain and a nervous system that gets implanted in different suits. Like Raiden from Metal Gear, except more extreme.

And with the context of the Second Dream in hand, the Rhino Prime entry makes it pretty clear that transferred consciousness has been what they had in mind for at least, what, a year? How long has the Rhino Prime lore entry existed? Either way the entry deals with a rampaging feral Warframe being lured into the room where the Zahriman kids are being kept in storage, thus resulting in the first ever incident of Transference. The way the Rhino instantly transitions from rampaging hell beast to confused, looking at its hands, not entirely sure what it is/what's going on indicates the occupation of the vessel by the mind of one of the Zahriman kids in the room. Go give it a reread.

FunkyFlashman posted:

No not really you're just being deliberately obtuse. The moment the Mirage quest was added to the game it became logically impossible for the Warframes to be armor worn by actual people because at that moment it was made part of a quest, an in canon explanation, that yes we do in fact construct and occupy Warframes with radically different builds, apparent genders, etc. You could argue that that was the point wherein their conception of what the Tenno and the Warframes are changed, but it's been clear for a very long time now that because of lore entries like those on the Primes and the addition of quests like Mirage's that the Tenno could only possibly be transferred consciousness or extremely hosed up cyborgs.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 2, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Also old old ooooold lore extracted from files had both rogue Tenno and Tenno kids, and seeing these things actually manifest in incredible ways is hilarious to me.

I am ready for Grineer TV.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When was the last time we had a synthesis target? Why don't we have any currently?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shine posted:

twin graks are hilarious and awesome

e: yours aren't firing fast enough :q:

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

I don't get what you're annoyed/displeased/angry about with the lore. Last I checked, all lore was developed to be interesting/cause a ruckus/drive conversation/boost sales. In every game/tabletop/fantasy/book from the beginning of time. Why is it weird here? Because they introduced it late into development?

Thats exactly my point. They do this to cause a ruckus and drive conversation and boost sales. I am not annoyed/displeased/angry about the lore. I was disappointed with one quest weeks ago and if you mean that then uhm, i am over it. But thanks for asking. My point was more like " i don't like being played" Also "in every game from beginning of time" is exaggerated, this is the very first time i see it this well deployed in like 2 decades. I always asked myself "why the gently caress are they talking about that space ghost thing AGAIN" and this is the reason(most likely).

Captain Oblivious posted:

No not really you're just being deliberately obtuse.

I just said "You could interpret every single bit of that in many different ways". I said this because i saw goons here doing exactly that. I am sorry to insult your game, that was not my intention. Its great, warframe is good looking and i love the setting. This vision of the future is pretty similar with what i have in mind. Your knowledge of ingame history is superior, i am sure of it.

I should have known better.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 2, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FunkyFlashman posted:

Thats exactly my point. They do this to cause a ruckus and drive conversation and boost sales. I am not annoyed/displeased/angry about the lore. I was disappointed with one quest weeks ago and if you mean that then uhm, i am over it. But thanks for asking. My point was more like " i don't like being played" Also "in every game from beginning of time" is exaggerated, this is the very first time i see it this well deployed in like 2 decades.

I just said "You could interpret every single bit of that in many different ways". I said this because i saw goons here doing exactly that. I am sorry to insult your game, that was not my intention. Its great, warframe is good looking and i love the setting. This vision of the future is pretty similar with what i have in mind. Your knowledge of ingame history is superior, i am sure of it.

I should have known better.

You can interpret every single bit of that in many different ways, theoretically, but not all interpretations are good or grounded in the text. :)

You haven't insulted anything you just haven't supported your argument very well. Like, if you want to talk about DE winging it and changing their conception of the Tenno and the Warframe that's fine there's evidence for that. But the Second Dream isn't improv. They've known where they were going with the Tenno and the Warframes for at least a year, year and a half, judging by the lore entries they have produced and when they produced them.

There was a time where that wasn't the case though. Way back when, the cryopods used to contain weird genderless ken doll things that looked like Brainiac or some poo poo from Superman, and at the time many people believed those were what Warframeless Tenno looked like. That's actual evidence of a shifting dev position! Second Dream is not.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

hooah posted:

When was the last time we had a synthesis target? Why don't we have any currently?

It's a daily quest now, go to simaris and ask for one.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Does the Helios sentinel scan synthesis targets for you if you've got the appropriate scanner?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

FunkyFlashman posted:

Thats exactly my point. They do this to cause a ruckus and drive conversation and boost sales. I am not annoyed/displeased/angry about the lore. I was disappointed with one quest weeks ago and if you mean that then uhm, i am over it. But thanks for asking. My point was more like " i don't like being played" Also "in every game from beginning of time" is exaggerated, this is the very first time i see it this well deployed in like 2 decades. I always asked myself "why the gently caress are they talking about that space ghost thing AGAIN" and this is the reason(most likely).

Well, I can say with certainty that 40k has been around since the 70/80s and has been doing lore that way as long as I've been alive. (Hence my saying lore has been used in this fashion for a long long time.)

I get what you're saying though. I wasn't poking fun, I was just curious.

On the bright side, they aren't selling us the lore at 100 dollars a pop for their lovely Tomes of Knowledge that they (Games Workshop) release Bi-yearly.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 2, 2016

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Nalesh posted:

It's a daily quest now, go to simaris and ask for one.

Wow, thanks, I had no idea.

I do wish they'd make it so I don't have to leave the Liset just to use Simaris.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure the personal daily quest is not the same as the global quests. I know because I have only finished one of the global scans so I can do both daily and global at the same time.

AlphaKretin posted:

I thought we decided that was the Operator being able to exert control without the Somatic Link, it's just much more difficult for them?

OTOH the last non-endurance mission in this event had Misery say "The Shadow is pure, undreaming, untainted.".

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 2, 2016

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Trinity PA ends February 9th.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Kyte posted:

OTOH the last non-endurance mission in this event had Misery say "The Shadow is pure, undreaming, untainted.".

Stalker might not be a Warframe.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Denzine posted:

Stalker might not be a Warframe.

Stalker is totally a warframe. He looks like one. Uses powers like one. Uses the weapons of one. I don't see how you'd think otherwise.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
The end of The Second Dream where he's looking at the Operator and whatshisname is talking about how he used to be like that or whatever.

maybe stalker's just buff as hell.

dear de: orbiter weight room.

edit: I want to walk into the basement and see my pet goth lifting one of those little 5-pound babby weights/playing fetch with the Kubrow.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 2, 2016

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
So now that it's possible to get above 200% crit chance... what happens when you do that?

Oh, by the way, it's not obvious that Maiming Strike (+90% crit chance on slide attacks) is a additive boost that applies after other mods.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
Hm

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Gotta build that chassis ya ding dong

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Coming back after a hiatus from the game about a month ago, I found out about The Second Dream mission. Everything was going fine up to saving my adolescent virtual self from Shadow Stalker on the moon. But when I got back to my ship, I seem to have found the DE's most hidden weapon: the Goonoid Tennocore.

Amazed, I walked around for a bit like a dope. Even took time to aim the poor thing.

'Course, I had got used to shooting the kid off while escaping the moon. So I wanted to see if I could still pop off with it.

Yep.

That's my story, hope you liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Tasoth posted:

Coming back after a hiatus from the game about a month ago, I found out about The Second Dream mission. Everything was going fine up to saving my adolescent virtual self from Shadow Stalker on the moon. But when I got back to my ship, I seem to have found the DE's most hidden weapon: the Goonoid Tennocore.

Amazed, I walked around for a bit like a dope. Even took time to aim the poor thing.

'Course, I had got used to shooting the kid off while escaping the moon. So I wanted to see if I could still pop off with it.

Yep.

That's my story, hope you liked it.
Keep going.