Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
How is this game now? I've been craving an online fantasy game for a while. I've between this and FF14. I know FF14 has some good reviews and might more likely be the recommended game, but I did play it for a little while on ps3 and while it seemed alright it didn't really grab me. I'm not expecting a super great game, or for it to be exactly like skyrim or anything. Just something fun to do on and off for a little while. Mostly interested in pissing around and exploring and enjoying the leveling rather than getting into any kind of end game raid stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctoRadox
Nov 7, 2010

JackBadass posted:

Haha, please. I buy, sell, and trade in this game more than any of you. I know exactly how many pages that could buy. Doesn't change the fact that he got screwed out of his pages.

:smuggo::smuggo:

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Bitch please, for it is IIIII, that is, in fact, the biggest sperge!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How is this game now? I've been craving an online fantasy game for a while. I've between this and FF14. I know FF14 has some good reviews and might more likely be the recommended game, but I did play it for a little while on ps3 and while it seemed alright it didn't really grab me. I'm not expecting a super great game, or for it to be exactly like skyrim or anything. Just something fun to do on and off for a little while. Mostly interested in pissing around and exploring and enjoying the leveling rather than getting into any kind of end game raid stuff.

Same experience with FF14, really enjoying this game. Been playing for 3-4 months, not suffering from burnout related injuries yet. Pissing, exploring and levelling is this game's forte.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

ESO Doesn't have a sub and isn't Anime.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the main quest of FF14 is helping a catgirl find her mother? A goon said that once but he may have been glib.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JackBadass posted:

Haha, please. I buy, sell, and trade in this game more than any of you. I know exactly how many pages that could buy. Doesn't change the fact that he got screwed out of his pages.
Sure wish there was something I could do abou- *rips out 3 complete merc sets from his Argonian mule alt*

Even if I didn't have the extras (and I have a ton of them), Merc chapters are probably the cheapest of all the purple motifs out there. People can't even give them away now since nearly every moron that runs PvE has at least one character kitted out with a full Mercenary book for Laurel farming.

Also the smug in that post is so thick I could cut it with a dull Dunmer sword.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I just installed it this weekend and am having a blast, and I'm someone who is normally very harsh and particular about what I like in MMOs.

What I had been wanting for the longest time was an MMO that felt sufficiently dark, gritty, and low-fantasy but not to the point where it cannibalizes itself in its own grimdarkness. I also wanted something for combat that felt more substantive than traditional WoW click-button tab-target combat. Beyond that, I wanted a big seamless world that gave me that sense of adventure (I don't like MMOs that make it overly obvious that they are instancing.)

Not only does this game seem to be all of those things, I'm finding myself pulled into the story as well. I really like the voice acting (Michael Gambon as The Prophet :swoon:) and the story has me caring about the setting more than I thought I would. Even with being the ridiculous Star Wars fan that I am and Star Wars The Old Republic supposedly being all about ~The Story~ I just couldn't come to care about it in that game. Pleasantly surprised to say it's the opposite with ESO.

Also I need a leveling buddy. :hfive:

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Starting to wonder if everyone is a nightblade in pvp right now because it gets pretty samey and boring to be any other class. Like the whole thing revolves around gap closers now, whether you're using them or countering them

I mean I like charging at people and beating their heads in with a sledge hammer as much as the next guy but you know

vug fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 2, 2016

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Siets posted:

Not only does this game seem to be all of those things, I'm finding myself pulled into the story as well. I really like the voice acting (Michael Gambon as The Prophet :swoon:) and the story has me caring about the setting more than I thought I would. Even with being the ridiculous Star Wars fan that I am and Star Wars The Old Republic supposedly being all about ~The Story~ I just couldn't come to care about it in that game. Pleasantly surprised to say it's the opposite with ESO.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how drat lore-heavy this game is. I'm about to finish up the AD main quest and I've found a bunch of little sidequests that go pretty deep into Bosmer and Khajiit lore. I expected less from the game, honestly. VA is surprisingly good, too.

Siets posted:

Also I need a leveling buddy. :hfive:
Where you at? If you're AD I'll come do some stuff. Don't even care what level. Sometimes it's fun to just destroy a low level dungeon. Just PM me @thefloobyest.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Siets posted:

Getting a bit lonely solo. Looking forward to grouping up. You guys use CTS Mumble or anything like that?
For the most part we just use the regular Guild/Party text chat.

JackBadass posted:

Never change, JackBadass, never change. :allears:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

Sure wish there was something I could do abou- *rips out 3 complete merc sets from his Argonian mule alt*

Even if I didn't have the extras (and I have a ton of them), Merc chapters are probably the cheapest of all the purple motifs out there. People can't even give them away now since nearly every moron that runs PvE has at least one character kitted out with a full Mercenary book for Laurel farming.

Also the smug in that post is so thick I could cut it with a dull Dunmer sword.

Yes, it's meant to sound smug. I'm being smug. Someone lecturing me on ESO's in-game economy is like a high school basketball coach trying to give Michael Jordan tips on how to play basketball. Trading is 99% of my time spent in this game.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

vug posted:

Starting to wonder if everyone is a nightblade in pvp right now because it gets pretty samey and boring to be any other class. Like the whole thing revolves around gap closers now, whether you're using them or countering them

I mean I like charging at people and beating their heads in with a sledge hammer as much as the next guy but you know

From what I've seen, Nightblades have always seemed to be the majority.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

vug posted:

Everyone is a nightblade in PvP because being a stealth assassin seems like it should be the right choice. Or because if you go searching for cookie-cutter PvP builds, that's what you get. Either way, nightblades get locked into identical, burst-only, zero-sustain PvP builds and cry when someone has immovability/detect pots or really any sort of counter above "none".

Then the poor dears can't play the game anymore and have to console themselves with their mad e-trading skills. Please nobody tell them about Master Merchant, I... I just don't think their hearts can take it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

vug posted:

Nightblades are prevalent in PvP now because of:
-Having the only gap closer without a minimum range.
-A hard CC mechanic that is broken
-A spammable skill that ignores CC immunity, reduces armor on hit, and is bugged so that it always counts as an attack from stealth
-Having the only true invisibility in the game that allows them more freedom to pick and choose their battles compared to other classes
-Every other class and playstyle being nerfed into nothingness (RIP magicka DK with perma bat swarms and perma standards; RIP Dynamic Ultimate Gain system).

Honestly, it's not a problem at all once you realize that most Nightblades are one-shot wonder builds that crumple under the smallest amount of pressure.

Also, lmao if you take trading in ESO seriously. I haven't traded seriously in months, occasionally tossing up the rare item into my guild's store to meet the 10k/week requirement and I still have over a million in gold sitting in my bank. And that was before I started sperging out and joining the Church of "Do Writs on More than One Character a Day" (we are a 501 non-profit btw).

Making money in this game is child's play and if your time ingame revolves around doing that then just lol.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Funny coming from a scrub who wastes his time in the games worst content then comes to an Internet forum to cry about it. :smuggo:

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 3, 2016

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
Drama's gettin' thick in here, yo.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Making money in this game is child's play and if your time ingame revolves around doing that then just lol.

Speaking of which, wasn't there supposed to be a million dollar winner yesterday?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

Speaking of which, wasn't there supposed to be a million dollar winner yesterday?

Announcing the winner of the million dollar give-away?

"No ETA" - Matt Firor

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

JackBadass posted:

Funny coming from a scrub who wastes his time in the games worst content then comes to an Internet forum to cry about it.
Sounds like it might be time for you to take a break from video games and go outside or something.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You wanna know what's fun? Going ultra-sperg mode on your daily enlightenment and managing to hit 4 Champion Points on one bar of Enlightenment XP.

Now 7 points away from the cap, and eternal suffering per champion point afterwards.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Jesus you two are the biggest reasons for people not to play this game. What part of your dumb loving sperg off looks fun to prospective new or returning players? Put your dicks away and shut up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
you guys mentioning how the game is bad, just stop, you are ruining it for people who don't know how bad the game can be

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Third World Reggin posted:

you guys mentioning how the game is bad, just stop, you are ruining it for people who don't know how bad the game can be

Tell me more about all the fun I'm not actually having. :allears:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Siets posted:

Tell me more about all the fun I'm not actually having. :allears:

I am sorry for your poor reading skills

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Litotes gettin' thick in here, yo.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

There's a rumor going around that they're planning on changing Magelight and Inferno into active abilities instead of toggles.

Another example of "fixing" poo poo that isn't broken. Wrobel needs to go.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

My wife and I are starting this game on PC tomorrow. Our intention is to play with a co-worker and her husband who are ~level 25.

Is there anything I need to know about the character creation/faction selection that might screw up us playing together? For instance, should we definitely pick the same faction. We will be creating a guild with them and will be running dungeons together for the most part.

Edit: also we bought 2 copies of the old version for $22 each. The imperial edition w/rings or premium are something we are entertaining but we will play vanilla for a while to see if we like it.

SatelliteCore fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 3, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah just make sure you both choose the same faction, and that said faction matches your friends. Although the latter really won't be much of an issue once Thieves Guild is out on live servers, which brings true cross-faction play in dungeons.

Although I would advise against running with all 4 people since that cuts down your exp gains compared to running with just 2 people in a group.

Also feel free to look us up if you guys need gear or consumables. We have way too many crafting materials hoarded up and have no use for them. Also, goon trial shenanigans.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
wow, the flame wars hotting up in this topic!!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

SatelliteCore posted:

My wife and I are starting this game on PC tomorrow. Our intention is to play with a co-worker and her husband who are ~level 25.

Is there anything I need to know about the character creation/faction selection that might screw up us playing together? For instance, should we definitely pick the same faction. We will be creating a guild with them and will be running dungeons together for the most part.

Edit: also we bought 2 copies of the old version for $22 each. The imperial edition w/rings or premium are something we are entertaining but we will play vanilla for a while to see if we like it.

Co-op can be really hit and miss. Some objectives are shared and completed party-wide, some aren't. It can make co-op really annoying since it can result in some party members having to backtrack to complete objectives. Overall, I've found questing with others in ESO to be really tedious and frustrating. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure. Then again, if you just want to hang out and you don't care how long it takes to progress it should be fine.

My buddies are also the kinds of people who stop everything every time a new piece of gear drops to re-optimise their character. They used to do the same thing at like level 6 in Diablo 2, then get mad at me for hitting lvl 10 while they were pointlessly loving around. poo poo is maddening.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Thieves Guild Patch Notes are live.

MAGICKA DK IS BACK, FUCKERS.

DOTs now apply through Damage Shields and blocking, and have been ramped up. DK healers getting some love too.

Also, magicka sorcs are now going to be hilariously OP, since Elemental Expert now gives bonuses to ALL magic based damage (Fire/Frost/Shock/Magic), which means no more having to split CP off into Ritual and Apprentice. Magic classes in general got a massive buff since now they can spec into Hardy for Physical damage reduction. Gonna enjoy getting prox det on my magsorc and blowing up newbies.

But with the good, always comes the bad (in this case, stupidly bad):
-Pets, Magelight, and Inferno are no longer toggles; instead, Magelight and Inferno now apply the spell crit bonus by simply slotting it on your bar.
-Meteor can no longer be reflected
-Major Expedition got a 10% nerf
-Funnel got nerfed, and now only heals 1 target instead of 2.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 3, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
"Don't call it a comeback, I never left!" - that one specific fire DK build that is super squishy.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Alternative titles for this Patch:

-gently caress Zergs Hard in the rear end
-gently caress Stamblades and Spin2Win Spam
-Holy poo poo ZOS Actually Listened for Once

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

DOTs now apply through Damage Shields and blocking, and have been ramped up. DK healers getting some love too.

Also, magicka sorcs are now going to be hilariously OP, since Elemental Expert now gives bonuses to ALL magic based damage (Fire/Frost/Shock/Magic), which means no more having to split CP off into Ritual and Apprentice. Magic classes in general got a massive buff since now they can spec into Hardy for Physical damage reduction. Gonna enjoy getting prox det on my magsorc and blowing up newbies.

But with the good, always comes the bad (in this case, stupidly bad):
-Pets, Magelight, and Inferno are no longer toggles; instead, Magelight and Inferno now apply the spell crit bonus by simply slotting it on your bar.
-Meteor can no longer be reflected
-Major Expedition got a 10% nerf
-Funnel got nerfed, and now only heals 1 target instead of 2.

The magelight change is a good thing. Literally all that it changes is now we don't have to re-toggle it when changing cells.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Aramek posted:

"Don't call it a comeback, I never left!" - that one specific fire DK build that is super squishy.

greetings

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Can't wait to be rid of the magelight toggle.

I found an amazing resource from this game. It's a massive list of every stealing-only item, sorted into categories for the different regions and races. The sheer amount of work and effort put into making all these flavor items is astonishing.

Items of the Second Era

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

SatelliteCore posted:

My wife and I are starting this game on PC tomorrow.

This is my favorite RPG to play with my wife. It's Skyrim with Friends, of course, and unlike other RPGs, it doesn't penalize you for being in a group of two.

The four of you will need to be in the same faction to quest together. As a practical matter, you might also want to make some alts for just you and your wife. It's pretty rare to find four people that all want to play at the same time, and you'll stop getting experience if the group is more than six levels apart. Consider making those alts a different faction from your main characters, so you aren't doing the same quests back to back.

If you decide to get rings, you can buy them from the crown store rather than getting the Imperial Edition. You only need to buy one Pledge of Mara: it will make two rings. Although, if you do get more than one, you can always use it with your alts.

Lastly, you should join the guild if you're on PC NA. Pugging it up is not that big of a deal when you're half (or all) of a 4-person group, but it's still better to play with goons. Don't let the last couple pages put you off, there's not much threadshitting in guild chat.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Aramek posted:

Amusingly, the stamina version of the build is now vastly superior to the magicka version (when paired with Maelstrom one-handers). Don't just level up one character, kids, or you'll have to care about balance changes!

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Scyantific posted:

VINDICATION! :getin:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

JackBadass posted:

Yes, it's meant to sound smug. I'm being smug. Someone lecturing me on ESO's in-game economy is like a high school basketball coach trying to give Michael Jordan tips on how to play basketball. Trading is 99% of my time spent in this game.

Lmfao this is not something to be proud of or boast about openly in a passive aggressive way, you weird motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Lmfao this is not something to be proud of or boast about openly in a passive aggressive way, you weird motherfucker.

Alright let's cut the crap, let's just relish in the fact that Magicka DK is back with a sort-of vengeance, and that zenimax actually listened for once about buffing up a seriously underpowered playstyle.

Also ennuid where the hell are you I just ran VWGT and got 2 Essence Thief pieces, both Divines :smug:

• Locked thread