Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Acronis the backup company? One would imagine an endless amount of crazy shouting people trying to reach them demanding support for restores. I wonder how many times they are threatened with law suits?

The one and the same. Unfortunately the company that actually coded ExtremeZ-IP was bought out by Acronis about 2 or 3 years ago. What was then a pretty good product with really good support has gradually gone down to the point that the only person you can actually reach is an condescending Indian person that tells you because you have Access Connect you need to call a different phone number that just so happens to only accept voicemails.

Going on 8 hours and no call back to that voicemail :notsuprisedatall:

gently caress Acronis with a sharp AIDS filled knife.

MrMoo posted:

The alternative to that product appears to be OS X 10.9 or newer and SMB 2/3. That product only appears to fix SMB 1 being rear end, you can still get missing files with AFP and the performance is worse than SMB for a long time. Implemented a Spotlight server is pretty cool though, all the OS vendors don't put much effort into improving network searching: I think Microsoft added it with Windows Search 4, Gnome people did have it with Beagle but then dropped it and concentrates on local-only domain. I guess people just waive their hand and say use a DMS.

The problem with OS X Filesharing (at least the last time I used it), was that while their spotlight search worked loving great, their resource forking was horribly, HORRIBLY broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
lmao acronis

speaking of them, what's a good backup solution? it's what we use at work and I've had nothing but pain with it

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

lmao acronis

speaking of them, what's a good backup solution? it's what we use at work and I've had nothing but pain with it

We use CrashPlan ProE set up in a hybrid environment. Works AWESOME for desktop backups, continuous server, and offsite server backups, but the DL speed makes me fearful of that day when we have to perform a disaster recovery from the Cloud. Unfortunately it doesn't support bare metal recovery so it's likely not the best alternative to image-based recovery.

The pricing is really convenience too. One license per user. They have no problem if you cram all your devices into a single 'Administrator' user.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

McDeth posted:

We use CrashPlan ProE set up in a hybrid environment. Works AWESOME for desktop backups, continuous server, and offsite server backups, but the DL speed makes me fearful of that day when we have to perform a disaster recovery from my Butt. Unfortunately it doesn't support bare metal recovery so it's likely not the best alternative to image-based recovery.

The pricing is really convenience too. One license per user. They have no problem if you cram all your devices into a single 'Administrator' user.

Single "administrator" user? So you use the one license on multiple PCs?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

lmao acronis

I have Veeam setup to backup to a Synology NAS nightly. Then that NAS backs up to aws glacier weekly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Calidus posted:

I have Veeam setup to backup to a Synology NAS nightly. Then that NAS backs up to aws glacier weekly.

How do you handle the roll-up into the full? Wouldn't the backup to AWS need to do an entire full every week? Or is that not a problem for you?

We use Veeam as well and I like it quite a bit. My biggest beef with it is how it handles GFS and "archive" backups. If you want to keep something like 5 weekly, 13 monthly, and 5 yearly backups they insist on a full for each one of those. No, I do not want to keep 23 full copies of my production data (plus my 'production' backup chain), thank you!

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Single "administrator" user? So you use the one license on multiple PCs?

As far as I know. I even called up Code 42 and straight asked if I would be violated their EULA if I used a single user account to back up multiple servers to their cloud and they said 'no'.

:shrug:

2.5TB and 1 user account later...no compliants yet.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

McDeth posted:

The problem with OS X Filesharing (at least the last time I used it), was that while their spotlight search worked loving great, their resource forking was horribly, HORRIBLY broken.

What application are you using that still has a resource fork for it's documents? I haven't found anything with a true resource fork in years. Even the Adobe stuff.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

lmao acronis

We use Storagecraft for workstations and Datto appliances for servers, and I can't complain about either

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Internet Explorer posted:

How do you handle the roll-up into the full? Wouldn't the backup to AWS need to do an entire full every week? Or is that not a problem for you?

We use Veeam as well and I like it quite a bit. My biggest beef with it is how it handles GFS and "archive" backups. If you want to keep something like 5 weekly, 13 monthly, and 5 yearly backups they insist on a full for each one of those. No, I do not want to keep 23 full copies of my production data (plus my 'production' backup chain), thank you!

I have Veeam setup to roll into full once a week. Then I push that set of full backups to AWS. I am also only backing up about 600GB right now to AWS. It isn't a finished solution yet. I would like to figure out someway to do like you suggested, I would also have problems pushing nightly backups offsite due to bandwidth.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Super Slash posted:

In the interest of common sense and stopping meltdowns, I'm thinking of starting up a knowledge base of sorts for both IT related topics and also departmental topics. It's kind of brought about by the "Sole person hit by a bus" scenario and to also devolve workloads, as knowledge is pretty much retained by a few people and gets lost easy or Chinese whispers happens (How do we do X? I don't know Y always does it for us).

How would you go about it? Roll your own local wiki? Butt cloud products?
Some months ago marketing one day decided to create an "Intranet" which is a public website you need to make an account and login with, pretty much nobody uses it because its one more set of login credentials on the pile everyone already has.

someone in my company is looking into itglue and by looking into I mean someone mentioned they heard it was good.

https://www.itglue.com/

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

someone in my company is looking into itglue and by looking into I mean someone mentioned they heard it was good.

https://www.itglue.com/

Looks pretty cool, but..

Holy smokes Batman.

+1 recommendation from me for Confluence 10 user on-prem version. You can share a user account here and there if you really need to and 10 user license is super cheap. Also Gliffy plugin is only $10 a year for 10 user license. I make network diagrams all the time and export them to PNG. Also supports importing Visio files for any of your old network diagrams you want to import.

What is everyone using for RMM these days? I have a project coming up that will end up being 1000+ seats, and have been digging back into all the RMM platforms. It's like a minefield, there seems to be something that sucks about every RMM platform and no one can do it 'right' yet. Most importantly for me it needs to have some kind of API access for billing purposes, multi-tenant support, and just generally not suck. Is there anything out there that fits the bill?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Morganus_Starr posted:

Looks pretty cool, but..

Holy smokes Batman.

I think they got their idea of how much their product is worth by looking at the Zendesk pricing.

They also charge an activation fee, and SAML is an 'enterprise' feature. gently caress everyone who does that.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Spreadsheets and word documents here. :smithicide:

I've been doing my best to keep things up to date and organized, but man it's gotta be a skill to write documentation that is comprehensive while also concise and understandable to newcomers in 4 years without further explanation. Especially concerned given that we're a two man department so "IT being wiped out by a car" is a very real possibility.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Morganus_Starr posted:

+1 recommendation from me for Confluence 10 user on-prem version. You can share a user account here and there if you really need to and 10 user license is super cheap. Also Gliffy plugin is only $10 a year for 10 user license. I make network diagrams all the time and export them to PNG. Also supports importing Visio files for any of your old network diagrams you want to import.

I cobbled something together with the trial of confluence server and made a simple homepage along with another page for a desk phone manual, it's running local only with only me using one user account and anonymous read access on everything which has had positive reviews all around. I'm probably going to make a LAMP server and put the real deal on there if that's the sound way of doing it?

Am I right in thinking with only one confluence user account that's still under the :10bux: tier? I just know that everyone having another account login will just go down like a lead balloon, I mean holy poo poo we've had Salesforce Enterprise for like three years and the Sales team have only just started using it.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 28, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Morganus_Starr posted:

Also Gliffy plugin is only $10 a year for 10 user license. I make network diagrams all the time and export them to PNG. Also supports importing Visio files for any of your old network diagrams you want to import.

Am I missing something here? "Gliffy Diagrams for Confluence" is $10/month for 10 users.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone have any experience with Kasaya, SysAid, Connectwise + Labtech, Samanage?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone have any experience with Kasaya, SysAid, Connectwise + Labtech, Samanage?

I worked with Kaseya for a short period of time. From what I found, unless you are a larger MSP, it is total overkill.

Also I found it very convoluted to configure and work within.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

goobernoodles posted:

full featured
easy to use
affordable

pick one

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

go3 posted:

full featured
easy to use
affordable

pick one
Yeah, that's kind of what it seems like. Connectwise+Labtech seemed like it was built for MSP's to the point where it wasn't even looking at. Well, that paired with the ridiculously busy GUI. Kasaya looked like it has the same level of capabilities, but seemed at least somewhat more logical in comparison to Connectwise/Labtech. The ticketing and kb side of things looked pretty clunky though.

Is there a standalone RMM tool that you can run centralized scripts from that integrates well with a ticketing/documentation/workflow system that isn't cumbersome as hell?

e: I really like the idea of users being able to hit F11 (SysAid) or whatever hotkey to take a screenshot and open a ticket creation window though. That should eliminate those horrible calls where the user can't figure out how to type in fastsupport.com in the correct rectangle. JUST HIT F11 YOU FUCKER! :f5h::haw:

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 28, 2016

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Moey posted:

Am I missing something here? "Gliffy Diagrams for Confluence" is $10/month for 10 users.

Actually they kind of hide the "server" pricing, which is what you want if you build and host your own on-prem Confluence instance. Cloud pricing is if you have Atlassian host your Confluence instance.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.gliffy.integration.confluence/server/pricing

It's $10 for 10 users for the Gliffy license - I believe that is a per year pricing. That's what I've been paying.

FYI Confluence can be a bit annoying to install yourself, just make sure to follow the install guide, particularly if you want to enable HTTPS/SSL and change the default port. I've been rocking out PostgreSQL on the backend so I didn't have to pay for SQL licensing or use SQL Express. Seems to work pretty well.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

150 mailbox single host exchange 2010 environment. Any practical reason to upgrade to 2013 or 2016? (Assume 365 is not an option right now)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

150 mailbox single host exchange 2010 environment. Any practical reason to upgrade to 2013 or 2016? (Assume 365 is not an option right now)

Depends on your organization, I guess. There's a nice list of improvements here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150540(v=exchg.160).aspx

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Morganus_Starr posted:

Actually they kind of hide the "server" pricing, which is what you want if you build and host your own on-prem Confluence instance. Cloud pricing is if you have Atlassian host your Confluence instance.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.gliffy.integration.confluence/server/pricing

It's $10 for 10 users for the Gliffy license - I believe that is a per year pricing. That's what I've been paying.

FYI Confluence can be a bit annoying to install yourself, just make sure to follow the install guide, particularly if you want to enable HTTPS/SSL and change the default port. I've been rocking out PostgreSQL on the backend so I didn't have to pay for SQL licensing or use SQL Express. Seems to work pretty well.

Setting up HTTPS was a huge pain in the rear end. I actually set up Duo as well to add 2-factor. It was really the only reason I didn't go with their cloud route, because as far as I know they still don't support 2-factor.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

Setting up HTTPS was a huge pain in the rear end. I actually set up Duo as well to add 2-factor. It was really the only reason I didn't go with their cloud route, because as far as I know they still don't support 2-factor.

Duo is the poo poo.

Also a recommendation for Secret Server + Duo Security for 2 factor auth for your password management needs.

https://thycotic.com/products/secret-server/secret-server-express/

$10 bucks a year for the express edition. Duo Security is like $1 user/month for the basic product. It's a good solution for small shop password management. The only other thing I've found that comes close to features, security, cost, and usability, would be something like Last Pass Enterprise - if you are comfortable having another org host all of your passwords in the cloud.

Keepass stored on an internal web/ftp server works as well and allows multi user sync, but doesn't have RBAC, groups, or any real auditing. Keepass is a good solution for startups or 1-2 man (admin) operations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Alright everyone. I'm stuck on a routing problem and need help.

I have a customer for whom I am currently setting up Windows Deployment Services. I have one of their machines here I am setting up with a base image. The problem is that I need full access to their network resources. The easy answer, VPN. I have setup several site to site VPNs for this customer with ASAs in the past. But all of the machines were on the same network. Here's the problem I have today.

The WDS machine can't talk to the next hop (the first firewall with 10.15.28.1).

I know what I have setup is not ideal. But is there a way to make the WDS machine talk to the firewall properly? Is this more suited for the Cisco thread? Is this a waste of my time?

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: It looks like I can just add a subinterface to an existing interface. Then I can assign it an IP in the correct subnet.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 2, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Does the machine even have an interface on the same subnet?

Edit: you solved your own problem, subinterfaces is probably the easiest way to resolve this unless you have extra ports on the ASA.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 2, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Morganus_Starr posted:

Thanks, already have an existing on-prem install going strong for the last few years. I'll definitely grab this.

Edit: Forgot we are running a 25 user license for production. I am the only one who will ever use gliffy. I doubt I can assign gliffy licenses by security group or something similar.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Moey posted:

Thanks, already have an existing on-prem install going strong for the last few years. I'll definitely grab this.

Edit: Forgot we are running a 25 user license for production. I am the only one who will ever use gliffy. I doubt I can assign gliffy licenses by security group or something similar.

Yeah, the licensing cost matches your Confluence licensing tier, e.g. 25 confluence licenses, 25 gliffy licenses needed.

From the site I linked:

The add-on tier should match the licensed user tier of the Atlassian host application. For example, if you have a Confluence Server license for 25 users, you should purchase the 25-user tier for add-ons. Even if fewer users want to use the add-on than your host application license, the two licenses should match exactly.

So $400 for 25 user license and 1 year maintenance/upgrades. Not horrible, considering 1 license for Visio Standard is over $500 I believe.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Morganus_Starr posted:

Yeah, the licensing cost matches your Confluence licensing tier, e.g. 25 confluence licenses, 25 gliffy licenses needed.

From the site I linked:

The add-on tier should match the licensed user tier of the Atlassian host application. For example, if you have a Confluence Server license for 25 users, you should purchase the 25-user tier for add-ons. Even if fewer users want to use the add-on than your host application license, the two licenses should match exactly.

So $400 for 25 user license and 1 year maintenance/upgrades. Not horrible, considering 1 license for Visio Standard is over $500 I believe.

Yeah, I came across that shortly after.

Will probably still spring for it, just so others can see the network diagrams and crap I make. They will never actually look at it for any reason, but it will at least be available.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey small shop admin! How are YOU backing up your corporate Dropbox thing that you have?

Right now for a client I have the main "document admin" dropbox account that has all the folders, have that sync to a folder in the main file server and back that up along with the rest of the file server. Is this the best thing? I couldn't find any "cloud to cloud" solutions.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Haven't used it, but maybe something like this? https://mover.io/

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
We use Limigito for any automated movement of files.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aww yeah, upcoming disaster recovery meeting and they actually want me in.

Time to school everyone in properly using the file server as god intended (yes some of your user account folders are redirected, no you shouldn't keep critical company data in them), maybe put boot to rear end about getting lovely software off a server so it can be re-purposed as a failover, then maybe make a case for funding to buy extra power backup and upgrading the terminal server.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
So I guess people love ZenDesk around here, right? Can anyone give me an idea as to what they use in conjunction with ZenDesk to make it fit their needs? Mainly RMM and documentation side of things. Anyone have any experience with Panorama9 or Autotask?

e: I've been messing around with Autotask Endpoint Management, which was previously known as CentreStage and so far I dig it. In fact, it's still got the branding. RMM with 3rd party software updates and the killer piece is being able to upload your own files in order to do software deployments, etc. Are there any other RMM tools that aren't insanely expensive that encorporate a good remote-control options, patch management with scripting, automation and software deployment abilities? So far it's just been fairly small things I haven't liked, such as not being able to use the windows key to open the start menu of the client pc. I use win+R ALL THE TIME and it slows me down using the mouse alone. Is the Kaseya VSA, Labtech or any other RMM tools worth checking out? Main requirement is that it would need to integrate with a "easy" ticketing/wiki/workflow system like zendesk or samanage.

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 11, 2016

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I've been tossing around where to post this and this is probably the best fit...?

I have a couple friends who started their own business several years ago now. They have been doing well and moved twice into subsequently larger locations. I'm seeing them develop into a small business which really needs employees and better infrastructure to continue to grow, so as their friend I'm going to push as hard as I can to get a few things:

- A secured network on something other than an airport express
- potentially a server of some sort so they don't have everything business related on their laptops that are getting long in the tooth :smith:
- a separate box that's... I guess a low-end media server? They display their current ads (they show up on TVs around the shop) via some sort of website someone made. They also will throw up stupid videos or streaming during slow times.

There are a few other random things but they're a lot more specific and more of either a programming or non-technical nature anyway.

So, the networking I just need to research and find good pricing for them to invest in. If anyone has any good suggestions I'm all ears (large space, completely open area, coverage should be easy with a single AP) but that will likely be a home networking thread post if necessary. The other two points were my major intended questions:

If they have very little in the way of stored files (they're important but just spreadsheets mostly) should I even bother with trying to get a server*? Obviously space isn't really a factor. I should most likely go with google apps or force them to use a free Google account as they do a decent amount of working at conventions (hence the laptops). I'm just curious if anyone has any advice since I've never messed with Google apps professionally. It looks like the only major difference is that you have admin tools for managing rights/access.

* - custom desktop with as little as possible on it and I will do my best to automate the poo poo out of it.

The other question is regarding the display/media center thing. They currently have it set up as a secondary monitor from one of the laptops. They have an hdmi cable going to a splitter which duplicates the "second monitor" to some TVs they have mounted around the store. What I'm really wanting to do is make a dummy box that they can control from either of their computers. Everything displayed on the dummy box is most likely going to be web based (locally hosted advertisement scroll page, something dynamically able to show a YouTube video or twitch stream). Anyone have a recommendation on where to get started with this? I'm not afraid of researching but I just don't know where to begin on this one. I'd really like them to be able to control it from their laptops without having to use vnc/rdp/whatever. I'm not afraid of working on some scripting to do this either; again, just looking for a bit of guidance.

They use Windows now and I don't see them using anything else on the laptops. I'm kind of leaning toward Linux for the media center and/or server, though.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Ugato posted:

- A secured network on something other than an airport express
- potentially a server of some sort so they don't have everything business related on their laptops that are getting long in the tooth :smith:
- a separate box that's... I guess a low-end media server? They display their current ads (they show up on TVs around the shop) via some sort of website someone made. They also will throw up stupid videos or streaming during slow times.

Firewall: MikroTik, gently caress SonicWall, gently caress Cisco, gently caress your WRT54G running Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT.
Hosted Email: Google Apps or if they must have Outlook go with O365 or use both and the GASMO.
Wireless (if you need more than 1 AP): Ubiquiti or MikroTik CAPSMAN (I haven't tried CAPSMAN yet).
Server: If they don't have some vertical crap like QuickBooks (just tell them to use QBO or hosted QuickBooks), get a Synology NAS and be done with it, but get a 4 bay and back that fucker up.
Media thing: Chromecast + castnow and/or a raspberry pi.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If all they have are some spreadsheets and the like, put them in Google Drive and be done with it. Pairs nicely with an organization-wide move to Google Apps for email and what not.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

If all they have are some spreadsheets and the like, put them in Google Drive and be done with it. Pairs nicely with an organization-wide move to Google Apps for email and what not.
Yeah, this. If their storage requirements are so minimal, no reason to go through the trouble of setting up a file server.

I will second Office 365 as the email option of choice for a small business using Outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

^ same. If they are insisting on Outlook then Google Apps Sync won't cut it because there will be stuff missing like stupid voting buttons and contacts delegation.

If they are open minded then go with Google Apps. I have clients on both and all the ones with a startup mentality are on Google Apps and only use a browser or the Gmail app on phones to access their mail. They never have issues. The ones that have come from large law or financial firms and insist on Outlook are using it like they still have an on-premise Exchange server run by a 10-person messaging team, so they load the thing up with a dozen delegated calendars and get frustrated when things get out of sync.