Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
who needs gran turismo when you have Nights Into Dreams on your sega saturn, retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
drat i'm out of my element

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
all this mips chat is making me want to get a little mips dev board

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

on the other hand I've heard playing N64 games on the SGI workstations used for development was an awesome experience, 1280×1024@60fps—possibly in stereo 3D!—and some devs added network code just for their own amusement

the only sgi / n64 combinations i've ever seen or heard of were indy-based, so there wasn't gonna be anything 3d @ 1280x1024, too drat slow

the n64 graphics hardware would have been considerably more capable than the 'newport' graphics in an indy. practically no hardware accleration for 3d operations

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IIRC the GPU in the N64 was a much lesser version of SGI's RealityEngine and the early N64 devkits required Onyx workstations.

Also, LOL that when SGI introduced graphics hardware for the Indy that could do 3D acceleration, said 3D hardware was rendered obsolete by the R5000 CPU (which could do 3D faster in software than the XZ graphics board).

So people might've gotten really good performance when using Onyx as a devkit, but yeah, they weren't getting it on an Indy.

edit: IIRC none of the graphics hardware available for the Indy could do hardware-accelerated texture mapping.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 2, 2016

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
more true n64 facts: the graphics processor (well, the frontend part, the RSP) was programmable, but Nintendo didn't share tools for it until late in the development cycle. this was great for high-level emulation because all you had to do was re-implement Nintendo's well-known graphics routines rather than interpret RSP microcode

iirc Sony tried to do the same thing up front by asking developers to stick to a bunch of C routines in case they wanted to change the hardware, but then Naughty Dog went and did low-level stuff anyway: "Hitting the hardware directly was against the rules. But by the time Sony saw the results they needed a Mario killer. It was too late for them to complain."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

oval office AND PASTE posted:

i love pocket computers here's my collection

my PC-3 (with the cracked screen) is one i've had since childhood, i left it laying around a few years back and it got sat on :( so i bought a mint sharp equiv when it popped up cheap on ebay. i also have a PC-2 but previous owner left batteries installed and they corroded all over the place and it's out in the garage waiting to be repaired one day

recently got this Poqet PC (this one is a very early model according to version numbers and timestamps in ROM) but still need to buy some memory cards so i can actually do something with it besides watch it boot up. runs on 2 AA batteries, CGA (B&W) graphics, claims to get 100 hours of battery life before needing a new set.

the poquet pc is the sickest poo poo and what if u put a cool modern soc and screen inside it. omg

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

invlwhen posted:

more true n64 facts: the graphics processor (well, the frontend part, the RSP) was programmable, but Nintendo didn't share tools for it until late in the development cycle. this was great for high-level emulation because all you had to do was re-implement Nintendo's well-known graphics routines rather than interpret RSP microcode

iirc Sony tried to do the same thing up front by asking developers to stick to a bunch of C routines in case they wanted to change the hardware, but then Naughty Dog went and did low-level stuff anyway: "Hitting the hardware directly was against the rules. But by the time Sony saw the results they needed a Mario killer. It was too late for them to complain."

oh yeah that dev diary is great

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

oh yeah that dev diary is great

crash bandicoot: mario killer. LOL

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTi5EaocGaY

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only sgi / n64 combinations i've ever seen or heard of were indy-based, so there wasn't gonna be anything 3d @ 1280x1024, too drat slow

ah, the Indy, the Indigo without the "go"

quote:

the n64 graphics hardware would have been considerably more capable than the 'newport' graphics in an indy. practically no hardware accleration for 3d operations

I've heard of people doing dev with other hardware besides devkit hardware, eg they had a couple Indy-based dev kits or something but most devs had Indigos or whatever and built natively for much of their work

not cheap but quite efficient

e: that was it, the original devkit was Onyx-based and the tale I heard did involve using full RealityEngine hardware

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 2, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the crash bandicoot dev diary is one of the best programming reads around

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

iirc there's a prince of persia one out there somewhere too

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

crash bandicoot: mario killer. LOL

its a bad game

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Trash Bandicoot. Haha

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Bad Badicoot

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
like, the blog is cool and its obvious they poured themselves into the game which makes me feel bad that i found it so boring

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

~Coxy posted:

the Ambrosia game "Barrack" (jezz-ball clone) had blasphemous sound effects in it so we removed them with ResEdit so we could be allowed to play it

maelstrom had an army of darkness soundpack that made it twice as awesome

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sweevo posted:

iirc there's a prince of persia one out there somewhere too

I think Jordan Mechner took it down so he could sell it as an ebook

a good read

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

has everyone read racing the beam

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i read console wars

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Silver Alicorn posted:

yes and i need to reread, it rules

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ev override and ev nova were the best games

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

not yet I really need to

my old computers I have are a V-Tech Pre-Computer 1000 and 2000 which are toys but are little z80 boxes that can be programmed in Basic that I've had since I was a wee tot

I also have a TI-99/4a in storage I should go get; I have a huge pile of cartridges for it and one of those recently-built serial/floppy emulator/ram addition things that I really haven't yet played with. o should eBay the terminal emulator cartridge and post via Lynx or something

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

atomicthumbs posted:

ev override and ev nova were the best games

i like override more than nova. the emalgha with their little wooden spaceships were adorable :3:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

not yet I really need to

my old computers I have are a V-Tech Pre-Computer 1000 and 2000 which are toys but are little z80 boxes that can be programmed in Basic that I've had since I was a wee tot

I also have a TI-99/4a in storage I should go get; I have a huge pile of cartridges for it and one of those recently-built serial/floppy emulator/ram addition things that I really haven't yet played with. o should eBay the terminal emulator cartridge and post via Lynx or something

i have a vtech 486 (sx 25), came with 4mb ram, now maxed out on 8

still works fine incl original monitor/keyboard. mouse is a replacement tho

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I wish I could post more in here.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

i like override more than nova. the emalgha with their little wooden spaceships were adorable :3:

now im looking thru ev:o sites and i don't think i ever did the voinian dreadnought mission

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There are 3 PDP-11 systems sitting in racks at my work's reapplication warehouse... Two 11/44's and what I think is an 11/73. Also a couple RX02s, a VT240 sans monitor, and I think a disk drive.

Wanting to go fetch them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pham Nuwen posted:

There are 3 PDP-11 systems sitting in racks at my work's reapplication warehouse... Two 11/44's and what I think is an 11/73. Also a couple RX02s, a VT240 sans monitor, and I think a disk drive.

Wanting to go fetch them.

do it!

i think an 11/44 will run rsx-11m if it won't do 2.11bsd. fun either way

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

problem is it'll forever be property of my employer, even though they're most likely going to be sold for pennies a pound to some chinese company.

there's no corporate-approved process for transferring discarded company property to the ownership of an employee

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

problem is it'll forever be property of my employer, even though they're most likely going to be sold for pennies a pound to some chinese company.

there's no corporate-approved process for transferring discarded company property to the ownership of an employee

its called an ikea bag and the trunk of your car

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the scrap value is near $0 and odds are no one will care

it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

in this case the ikea bag might need to be a 6 person tent but yeah, this

Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

Love those big blue bags. Only fifty cents and I've carried window ACs in them.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Love those big blue bags. Only fifty cents and I've carried window ACs in them.

theyre so good.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i move my whole bar with 2 heavy rear end ikea bags. booze, snacks, etc. serves 100

Apr 7, 2003

Went to IKEA and forgot your bags? Buy more. They're cheap and you can always use them.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
does anyone remember that guy that got sent to prison for stealing a some teletype consoles and other ancient equipment that he was obsessed with? iirc he blamed it on his room mate. his website was great i wish i could remember enough about it to search for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Doc Block posted:

IIRC the GPU in the N64 was a much lesser version of SGI's RealityEngine and the early N64 devkits required Onyx workstations.

Also, LOL that when SGI introduced graphics hardware for the Indy that could do 3D acceleration, said 3D hardware was rendered obsolete by the R5000 CPU (which could do 3D faster in software than the XZ graphics board).

So people might've gotten really good performance when using Onyx as a devkit, but yeah, they weren't getting it on an Indy.

edit: IIRC none of the graphics hardware available for the Indy could do hardware-accelerated texture mapping.

my moms workplace (a video production house) had an sgi onyx the size of two refridgerators. I used to ride my bike over to abuse the free hot cocoa vending machine and just stare at it, marveling the geniuses who were privileged and wise enough to actually use it. they used to smoke pipes inside, work on stuff and it was the most magical place in the world. they played multiplayer doom on it.

• Locked thread