Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

It's really frustrating :smith:. Maybe its connected to the steam overlay in game?
Yeah that sounds kind of familiar, I think I had to disconnect steam overlay and/or cloud save to get around my initial installation issues on my old laptop. Sorry can't be more specific but its been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Try running it with the overlay disabled and see what happens. I'm assuming what you mean is when you try to browse/purchase DLC it wants to open the Steam browser which, yeah. But you shouldn't need the overlay to be on just to download/play your songs.

An uninstall and reinstall sounds like a good step to try and I've heard the mythical tale of "I was having problem with a Steam game and uninstalling it and installing it onto a DIFFERENT hard drive fixed it!" That said, I don't know if your bandwidth/data is capped so I don't like blindly recommending that anymore until we get that far.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I managed to fix it by closing steam completely and re running it under admin, even though the checkbox was already ticked???. All's good now, thanks for the help!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've also had a similar problem that I fixed by going to the list of installed DLC for the game in steam, unchecking the box for the song that isnt appearing, applying, then re-checking it and applying it again.

It resets whatever thing that hosed up in the download. if it happens again give it a go.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Double post because gently caress it.

Lately I've taken to practicing in nonstop play mode. I've pared the song list down to pretty much everything that I don't actively hate, which is a great deal wider variety than what I would play when I picked individual songs in learn a song mode. I don't know if the added variety has contributed or if it's just coincidental but I've improved DRASTICALLY in the past week, and I wasn't exactly bad to start with. Now I'm nailing solos way better than I have before, i think my muscle memory on frets 9-21 is finally kicking in.

Used to miss tons of notes in that area when I'd fat finger and miss the frets or fail to play cleanly.

Whatever the reason I'm happy to be doing so much better lately.

I don't know if non-stop play continues your note streak between songs or not but I have a new record.

In the last hour of non-stop play I had something like 93% accuracy and set the new bar with 705 notes in a row without any misses.

:feelsgood:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A Tout Le Monde
Trust
Tornado of Souls
Peace Sells
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Oh my God you guys. Oh my God.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A Tout Le Monde
Trust
Tornado of Souls
Peace Sells

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Your name reminds me there's no Corrosion of Conformity pack.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A Tout Le Monde
Trust
Tornado of Souls
Peace Sells

I would kill for Mechanix or Dread and the Fugitive Mind but oh well, these are cool too.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good has one of the best riffs ever. One of my absolute favorite songs of theirs is High Speed Dirt. Foreclosure Of A Dream is also good.

But this pack (barring Trust) is utterly fantastic.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A Tout Le Monde
Trust
Tornado of Souls
Peace Sells

This owns hard

Too bad I suck and can't play any of them :(

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
FYI Steam has removed restrictions for all the RS1 DLC. You no longer require ownership of RS1 to purchase the 140 DLC songs available for RS1 on Steam

38 Special Song Pack

Hold On Loosely
Caught Up In You
Rockin' Into The Night

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 25, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

toymach1ne posted:

FYI Steam has removed restrictions for all the RS1 DLC. You no longer require ownership of RS1 to purchase the 140 DLC songs available for RS1 on Steam

also .38 Special pack this week

A few weeks after I purchase a copy... God damnit. And it was through Amazon so I can't refund through Steam.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
yeah but you are going to import the songs so it's worth it

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I didn't particularly want any single song from RS1. I now have a few new ones to play but I didn't WANT anything but RS1 DLC.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I didn't particularly want any single song from RS1. I now have a few new ones to play but I didn't WANT anything but RS1 DLC.

Yeah you did, you just didn't know it!!

;)

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

toymach1ne posted:

Yeah you did, you just didn't know it!!

;)

For real, those RS1 songs are deceptively great.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Wait so I no longer need RS1 to play the DLC?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Schiavona posted:

Wait so I no longer need RS1 to play the DLC?

Correct

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Offspring 5 Pack next week!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

toymach1ne posted:

Offspring 5 Pack next week!

Oh hell yes, there's some nice easy jams.

The kids aren't alright better appear,
then I'd want self esteem, come out and play, All I want (because crazy taxi), and why don't you get a job

Basically anything from Americana, or Smash. Except pretty fly because I'm sick of it, but it'll probably show up.

Worried we'll get some stuff from their later work but that wouldn't be the end of the world.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh hell yes, there's some nice easy jams.

The kids aren't alright better appear,
then I'd want self esteem, come out and play, All I want (because crazy taxi), and why don't you get a job

Basically anything from Americana, or Smash. Except pretty fly because I'm sick of it, but it'll probably show up.

Worried we'll get some stuff from their later work but that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Good news, those are already out!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The Noose has a sick riff! Days Gone By might be fun? I don't know, I stopped listening after Splinter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

Good news, those are already out!

Haha, I was thinking there were a couple offspring tracks already. Hard to keep track of it all.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I've just started learning the bass within the last week and the difficulty scaling is insane. Whenever it's just impossible for me to play correctly without it sounding like a series of sharts I just play the highest note I can over and over until the song ends. So far it has reduced the difficulty for me once. Is there some setting I can use to bring down the difficulty without just taking the songs apart piecemeal in Riff Repeater?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

klapman posted:

I've just started learning the bass within the last week and the difficulty scaling is insane. Whenever it's just impossible for me to play correctly without it sounding like a series of sharts I just play the highest note I can over and over until the song ends. So far it has reduced the difficulty for me once. Is there some setting I can use to bring down the difficulty without just taking the songs apart piecemeal in Riff Repeater?

Unfortunately not. I'd like the opposite option but it doesn't really exist.

The good news is if you go into riff repeater you can just select the entire song at once and pull it up or down.

In theory if you keep messing up it should correct but it can be really inconsistent.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I think it's to encourage good practice? If you're missing a lot you should take it into the riff repeater and play it slow until you get it, then speed it up and rinse and repeat. If you just keep flubbing it at full speed you just reinforce bad habits/learning that song.

But as is, it doesn't do ANYTHING to alleviate this because it refuses to back down and doesn't ever give a, "Hey, maybe you should woodshed this..." prompt.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
The Offspring II Song Pack – $11.99

* The Offspring “All I Want”
* The Offspring “Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)”
* The Offspring “The Kids Aren’t Alright”
* The Offspring “Want You Bad”
* The Offspring “You’re Gonna Go Far Kid”

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Boston - Peace of Mind is the best song

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

toymach1ne posted:

The Offspring II Song Pack – $11.99

* The Offspring “All I Want”
* The Offspring “Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)”
* The Offspring “The Kids Aren’t Alright”
* The Offspring “Want You Bad”
* The Offspring “You’re Gonna Go Far Kid”

Nice. No Self Esteem or Why Don't You Get A Job, and of course they included Pretty Fly, but All I want and Kids are alright and you're gonna go far kid are good times.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Self Esteem has been in Rocksmith for quite some time already so it makes sense it's not in this pack.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

You're Gonna Go Far Kid is a pretty fun bassline, and I love playing the main riff on Want You Bad for some dumb reason. Pretty solid pack.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Just got this game on my laptop, and really enjoying it so far. A couple of questions:

Does anyone have any tips for keeping correct intonation on a telecaster with 3 saddles? It's never really bothered me until this game.
Is there a likelihood of another steam sale on DLC or the first rocksmith game anytime soon?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are you having trouble getting the pairs intonated at the same time? And are they the kind with the raised contact points? If so make sure they're the right way around, one is closer to the neck than the other. When a guitar's intonated properly the contact points usually form a stairstep pattern like this

code:

e
   B
    G
   D
    A
     E
with the neck to the left and the ends of the strings to the right. So as the strings get thicker, the contact point moves back more - it kinda resets when you hit the wound strings, which is why the D jumps forward

So the saddles will be positioned to make this happen, and they need to be the right way around so the contact points 'step' correctly. Notice the G/D pair needs to be the other way around because the D is further forward than the G, which is the opposite of every other pair. (But if you have a wound G string, with winding on it, the G will be ahead of the D and that pair will be the same as the others)

If you don't have saddles with that stepping, just bare barrels, you might need to angle them so you get the strings contacting in different places to get this effect. If you know all this and you're still struggling, it might be worth looking up a manual for your guitar (or a similar one) and seeing what measurements they specify for a setup

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Is it a vintage style bridge like this?

If you want one of these to have proper intonation then good luck. They are a bad design, but they're also some combination of cheaper to manufacture, probably meant to be used with a wound G, and :siren:VINTAGE TONE:siren: for people who care about that sort of thing.

Fender have a setup guide here

Setting these bridges up is basically just a matter of putting the saddles where everything is off as little as possible.

quote:

Note: If you have a three-section-style bridge, compensate between the strings to minimize the percentage that any one string that may be sharp or flat. Listen for an aurally pleasing intonation.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
http://www.masterybridge.com/tele-bridge/

Or look around for something similar. Hell some bridges you can get replacement saddles for half the price of a new bridge.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The modern style six-saddle bridges are fine too.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Chalupa Joe posted:

Is it a vintage style bridge like this?

If you want one of these to have proper intonation then good luck. They are a bad design, but they're also some combination of cheaper to manufacture, probably meant to be used with a wound G, and :siren:VINTAGE TONE:siren: for people who care about that sort of thing.

Fender have a setup guide here

Setting these bridges up is basically just a matter of putting the saddles where everything is off as little as possible.

Yeah this is the sort. I've had this guitar for years and it has always played and sounded great to me. But because the b string was slightly off, Rocksmith wouldn't tune up properly. I have sorted it out myself by slightly nudging the saddle slightly when tuning up and now the game works with it. I will persevere unless it keeps happening. Thanks for the links. As much as I love this guitar, If when I get another guitar, I will get one without the vintage saddles.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Like someone up there said, you can just replace the bridge or even just the saddles if you want. These are the kind I was talking about (this isn't an endorsement or anything):

See how the point of contact is different for each string? When you don't have that difference, that's why you can't intonate both. That sort of saddle should fit in the bridge you have - check the measurements but yeah, easy upgrade. There's some Gotoh ones on that same site which are a bit fancier and have grooves in the saddle (so the string can't pop out of place easily), so lots of options out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Balcony posted:

Is there a likelihood of another steam sale on DLC or the first rocksmith game anytime soon?

This is happening right now! RS2014 is 75% off, RS1 is 50% off, and most DLC is 40% off.