Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's worth clarifying that I think the confusion was not over the fact that Piero would have a grudge on Sokolov, it's more that Piero was on Sokolov's radar at all. As has been speculated, it would make sense that Sokolov would publicly make no mention of Piero or dismiss him, while being privately keenly aware of Piero's criticism. If Sokolov is a bastard mix of Edison and Leonardo da Vinci, then it would make sense that he's not stupid, just pompous and ready to promise more than he can deliver on himself, denouncing any critics. Piero himself even seems aware of this in the punch-card recording, admitting Sokolov to be a publicity genius while denouncing he had any scientific acumen whatsoever (as Tesla probably thought of Edison).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Shady Amish Terror posted:

admitting Sokolov to be a publicity genius while denouncing he had any scientific acumen whatsoever (as Tesla probably thought of Edison).

That's more or less what Tesla wrote in a printed obituary for Edison after his passing. It was a pretty brutal last word but considering their history and Tesla's personality not an entirely unexpected one.

JT Jag posted:

Piero and Sokolov have a number of very obvious and I can only presume intentional Tesla and Edison parallels.

It's a credit to the game these characters seem to take on so many different aspects from lots of different sources they become very solid parts of the game world in their own right without being unimaginatively derivative.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I don't know why I find the frustrated locker slamming so disproportionately hilarious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm guessing that the game realized what shenanigans Roboky was planning with the spring razor and went "Oh gently caress no, you ain't cheesing this assassination. Do it the right way, buddy".

Also, when the game mentioned the little rivalry between Sokolov and Piero, I simply it'd be one of those cliche "old rivals being forced to work together for the better good" threads. I was not expecting straight up offshoots of Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. Although, now I am curious if Piero has an earthquake machine off-screen that's about to fail. :ohdear:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm guessing that the game realized what shenanigans Roboky was planning with the spring razor and went "Oh gently caress no, you ain't cheesing this assassination. Do it the right way, buddy".

I like the theory that some poor sucker wandered past and got diced, and the gibs disappeared because it was technically a stealth kill. Lucky nobody witnessed that. You'd know in a hurry if somebody saw a guest get springrazored.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, when the game mentioned the little rivalry between Sokolov and Piero, I simply it'd be one of those cliche "old rivals being forced to work together for the better good" threads. I was not expecting straight up offshoots of Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. Although, now I am curious if Piero has an earthquake machine off-screen that's about to fail. :ohdear:
Eh, I wouldn't pin Sokolov as just an Edison stand-in. There's some Da Vinci and some Rasputin in there too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

...huh.

I guess this is the Dishonorable Whale helmet now.

I can't unsee it now. Luckily I don't like Vauban.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I guess the closest thing to the fly mask is probably nova prime.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

I don't know why I find the frustrated locker slamming so disproportionately hilarious.

That is beautiful beyond measure.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah that is totally going in the OP once i get a second to do so.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I like to imagine it as kleptomaniac Corvo sensing missed loot and becoming increasingly frustrated. "I've combed through the level three times and I'm STILL missing a coin of five :argh:"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Eh, I wouldn't pin Sokolov as just an Edison stand-in. There's some Da Vinci and some Rasputin in there too.
Yeah, I definitely picked up on the Rasputin influence in Sokolov's character design. They were not subtle with those references.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I didn't see that Locker opening moment that was gif'd. I must not have been paying close enough attention. Is there a time stamp for it?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lunethex posted:

I didn't see that Locker opening moment that was gif'd. I must not have been paying close enough attention. Is there a time stamp for it?

Not in this particular video, I think its Coolguye that does it in a few of the past videos.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I think I had a locker moment once or twice too, and I believe Orv mentioned he too has issues involving it or at least issue involving container stuff in other games.

No one is as bad as all of us!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The masquerade ball is one of the easier missions to gently caress up while trying for low chaos imo, because that house just becomes a ridiculous beehive of gunmen if you gently caress up once, since everybody in the level is pretty much within "earshot". It's really satisfying to successfully ghost your way through the upper floor and do the non-lethal objective, though.

I did really enjoy Roboky's small disappearing corpse rampages inside the house, though. The NPCs really have no peripheral vision.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's not difficult to get into the upper floor if you use the balcony above the guy in the wolf mask. The guard is, for some reason, the same as any of the ones of the ground so you can casually walk past him and choke/stab him at your convenience.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

The masquerade ball is one of the easier missions to gently caress up while trying for low chaos imo, because that house just becomes a ridiculous beehive of gunmen if you gently caress up once, since everybody in the level is pretty much within "earshot". It's really satisfying to successfully ghost your way through the upper floor and do the non-lethal objective, though.

I did really enjoy Roboky's small disappearing corpse rampages inside the house, though. The NPCs really have no peripheral vision.

I enjoy this mission most if I've been completely unseen for the entire game (meaning wanted posters have a question mark on them instead of your mask), and murder absolutely everyone leaving naught but dust. Then I sign the guest book.

I refuse to do the nonlethal path on this mission, for reasons that will probably be gone into.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, this is the one mission when the non-lethal way is just way too horrible for the person's crimes that you must be one evil bastard to not just slit her throat. The other targets have a poetic justice to them, this is just... no.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Harvey's take on the nonlethal option at the ball is pretty good, I felt. I'll mention that when we get there. Like you guys say, it's very difficult to route this chapter, especially when money is something you want. But I'm getting there.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I did an omnicide run of this game after getting the itch from watching RoboKy poke through it and man, I have no earthy notion how anyone can stomach playing this game low chaos.

I got the early bone charm where white rats showed up far more often immediately before I got a bone charm that allowed me to eat white rats for mana. Once I got level 2 rat swarm I never really *had* to use mana potions ever again, because one swarm was enough to take me from tapped out to almost full even using the charm for extra mana capacity.

The entire Boyle party was eaten by rats. Everyone. Every guest, every Boyle, every guard. Rat food, which soon largely became Corvo food.

mothergently caress low chaos.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah watching this LP actually made me replay the game swashbuckler style. No crouching when possible, sprinting, blinking, sliding everywhere just straight up swinging parrying and shooting dudes. It's actually pretty drat hard because boy do they hit hard.

Also long live the corvo slide kick.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
One thing I learned recently is that the Outsider's speeches change if you visit his shrines after dealing with your primary target, and whether you take care of them lethally or not. If you do the non lethal thing with Lady Boyle you get a more definitive version of the "fine clothes wear to tatters and her silken hair turns dull" spiel. In general if you kill your targets the Outsider is entertained, like a 15 year old watching an action movie; and if you take the other option your antics fascinate him.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I need to go back to playing this. I think I'm about to go to the Golden Cat on my current playthrough. I'm tempted to start over and try for a Ghost run for maximum self-punishment, though :unsmigghh:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bethesda and some other games have that thing that says [Empty] or [Locked] or whatever and even if it says [Empty] I will still open it and curse at myself while it closes.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'm glad my run is encouraging people to try just playing loud and violent. This game really deserves multiple playthroughs just to marvel at all the work they put into all the different aspects of game design. Both high and low styles are super satisfying in entirely different brain-tickling ways.

IMJack posted:

One thing I learned recently is that the Outsider's speeches change if you visit his shrines after dealing with your primary target, and whether you take care of them lethally or not. If you do the non lethal thing with Lady Boyle you get a more definitive version of the "fine clothes wear to tatters and her silken hair turns dull" spiel. In general if you kill your targets the Outsider is entertained, like a 15 year old watching an action movie; and if you take the other option your antics fascinate him.

I've been thinking about this and early on I decided I'm definitely going to show that off for our last major target. Feels like it would be wrong not to.

Also I may end up doing a test run of this next mission, if only to decide if it would be better to first sneak in, or kick the front door in and scream "HI HONEY! I'M HOME!"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Do you really need a test run to answer that question?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Stormgale posted:

Do you really need a test run to answer that question?

There's one little thing I'm worried we wouldn't get to see if I go super loud that I want to show so yeah. Gonna juuuuust make sure.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Have you actually ever corvo kicked someone during your LP? It's just so satisfying to sprint at a guard, slide under his guard and either slash him up or send him flying. Comedy option is sliding past him while plopping down a spring razor even though I never managed to not get hit too.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Have you actually ever corvo kicked someone during your LP? It's just so satisfying to sprint at a guard, slide under his guard and either slash him up or send him flying. Comedy option is sliding past him while plopping down a spring razor even though I never managed to not get hit too.

I did early on and also gave a dude a legectomy doing it. It's very satisfying.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Regrettably I have already made a "LP dead on account of X" joke but uh, XCOM, real good you guys.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's pretty obvious that the Life of the Party level from Thief 2 was a major influence on this area. There's so much room to explore and maneuver in, it's just the best. Being able to waltz around in full view of the guards without them attacking you is fun in and of itself.

Sadly this level is kind of a pain to ghost, if only cause of that asshat that Pendleton wants you to duel.

Orv posted:

Regrettably I have already made a "LP dead on account of X" joke but uh, XCOM, real good you guys.

I like how of the people I know currently playing it, RoboKy is the only actual australian.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Corvo mask for XCOM DLC when

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brainamp posted:

I like how of the people I know currently playing it, RoboKy is the only actual australian.

Today I am proud to be an honorary Korean.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Orv posted:

I made sure I recorded my next bit of gameplay before it came out.

Sadly I don't think Coolguy did.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Sadly this level is kind of a pain to ghost, if only cause of that asshat that Pendleton wants you to duel.
I dueled him just fine in my ghost run. Maybe non-hostiles don't count against it and he has a special setting so he doesn't either, or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

It's pretty obvious that the Life of the Party level from Thief 2 was a major influence on this area. There's so much room to explore and maneuver in, it's just the best. Being able to waltz around in full view of the guards without them attacking you is fun in and of itself.
No shame in being inspired by the best Thief level ever. Just a shame there's no reference to the guy doíng steampunk rocketry experiments.

Poil posted:

I dueled him just fine in my ghost run. Maybe non-hostiles don't count against it and he has a special setting so he doesn't either, or something.
Yeah, it works. It doesn't start an alert and he's considered a key target.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It does count against Clean Hands, naturally, but I think someone mentioned in this thread that you can tranq him instead of using the gun like an idiot. :v:

Doesn't change what his bodyguards say, which is amusing when the one goes "Another client dead, now what do we do?" and the asshat snores loudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah you can just put him to sleep, and carry his snoring body over to a pile of rats.

• Locked thread