Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

SexyBlindfold posted:

- 82 can't tell a lie, so she can't fib her way out of this

I thought the Old Law being forged into their physical bodies prevented them from lying (without it cracking, that is.)

Is there anything keeping them from breaking the rules while in the Void?

E: I just noticed Juggernaut Star's 'ah ah ah' finger waggle.

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

We don't really know exactly how the "no lies" thing works. We may find out very soon.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

We don't really know exactly how the "no lies" thing works. We may find out very soon.

we kinda explicitly do

dude even went back and added extra explanation, in case you didn't get it from watching 82 White Chain lie and what happened when she did

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
chapter 4 of K6BD, in which White Chain becomes the first papier mache angel

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

paranoid randroid posted:

im the first dude counterclockwise from white chain, running like im late for the fight

I'm not in this scene because I am chasing that goddamn key give it to me dammit.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Cryophage posted:

I thought the Old Law being forged into their physical bodies prevented them from lying (without it cracking, that is.)

Is there anything keeping them from breaking the rules while in the Void?

E: I just noticed Juggernaut Star's 'ah ah ah' finger waggle.

"So clever ole’ Koss plucked them in one by one and smothered them in the ashes of his hearth. And from that hearth arose the Aeons, the Protectors.
The Gods were even more astonished, for the terrible fires of Will burned even stronger in the Aeons. But Koss was exceptionally crafty, and very quick. Before the Aeons could struggle free from his hearth, encased in their shells of ash, he grabbed them with his tongs, and he beat the good ole’ Law into each one with his silver chisel."
Koss may have beaten the law into the their soul flames rather than their physical bodies, the old devil's tale is ambiguous. But Zoss's smiting of the prime angels in the void may have damaged their soul flame in some way, freeing them from the law? We really don't know yet. I think it is more interesting if the law is in their souls, but if it is in their bodies that explains why getting a new body allows angels to walk a different path. 23 Liminal Blossom Punctures the Heart of the Unrepentant, Deliciously mentions that in reincarnation they will forget what change is, so maybe their reincarnation process brings the law back into them some how?

NecroMonster posted:

it'd still be 82. But that would probably be better than getting stuck in a body that looks like a loving sailor scout.

Or maybe it'd be worse.

Won't she be 83, because the number refers to how many times they have reincarnated?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Angels don't reincarnate just because they return to their armor, or get new armor for that matter. They have to "die" in the void. They also seemingly become entirely new "people" as part of this process. So 83 White Chain wouldn't know anything about Allison or the current situation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I think it's more of a fading than a hard cutoff with regard to memories; 2 Michael apparently has some memory of being a prime angel, while 82 White Chain clearly doesn't.

83 might be able to recall Alison, but not anything specific about their time together. Though the thorn armour might have ended up overriding even that, so :iiam:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

23 deliciously implied that she would forget completely

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Eventually, sure. But who knows, it's not exactly crystal clear (and I hope it stays this way in general, if not for this specific point)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
michael you motherfucker

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What a dilhole.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean this isn't exactly surprising given what we knew of michael and know now about the thorns but it's pretty hosed up that he's basically pretending to be unaffiliated with the thorns as the first among bodied angels while apparently actually being a huge part of their deal

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he's probably the real head of the thorns even. I mean, the meaning of his loving name right?

this dude has aspirations.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

Angels don't reincarnate just because they return to their armor, or get new armor for that matter. They have to "die" in the void. They also seemingly become entirely new "people" as part of this process. So 83 White Chain wouldn't know anything about Allison or the current situation.

On this page the bouncer at the guilded cage implies the destruction of White Chain's body would lead to her reincarnation.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think it's more of a fading than a hard cutoff with regard to memories; 2 Michael apparently has some memory of being a prime angel, while 82 White Chain clearly doesn't.

83 might be able to recall Alison, but not anything specific about their time together. Though the thorn armour might have ended up overriding even that, so :iiam:

I don't think White Chain ever was a prime angel. Michael's lesson to White Chain about the prime angels would be weird if she were one too.

Edit: VVV The old devils tale mentions 777 smoking shards of the cold white flame. But does that mean there are 777 prime angels, or 777 angels total? White chain describes her fire as smokeless, also, so maybe neither is true.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 2, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think there were that many prime angels, relatively speaking

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Captain Redbeard posted:

On this page the bouncer at the guilded cage implies the destruction of White Chain's body would lead to her reincarnation.

umm... you know telling someone who intends to do something stupid "it's your funeral" doesn't mean you think they are literally going to die right?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair, telling somebody "your funeral" in a place like throne is slightly more likely to mean you think they will actually die

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Captain Redbeard posted:

I don't think White Chain ever was a prime angel. Michael's lesson to White Chain about the prime angels would be weird if she were one too.

Not if she'd been one and forgotten. I'd gained the impression that as angels were made by Koss, who then died creating a universe along with the other gods, their number was fixed and they were all reincarnated from primes.

Perhaps I took that passage too literally though, given the mural of the multiverse appearing later which suggests roughly a quarter of creation is comprised of unbound angels. Maybe the story with Koss only refers to the embodying of the primes, rather than suggesting that he formed their souls (and that only he could do so) from the white flame. Hm.

Y'know what, we should have a holy war over this. That sounds like a good plan.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the chances of there not being some sort of holy war before the end of the comic seem vanishingly small

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Throne is likely suffering several Holy Wars at any one moment. Just because the Demiurges don't openly fight doesn't mean there is peace.

If you use the corpse of a dead God as a mobile battle station, something must be holy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's just the corpses of prime angels that are mobile

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tollymain posted:

i think it's just the corpses of prime angels that are mobile

maybe its a good thing white chain cant remember being a prime, then. because catching the 8:30 Yourself to work would be kind of weird

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

Mmm, but their leader Metatron is totally beautifically humanlike.

What is up with Metatron anyway? I thought first it was his real form bursting out of his crafted shell but I just realized that gently caress, they are in the void! Maybe he liked humans before the King hosed him up or something and that is why he looked so much like them? And that is why he is so gung-ho about getting rid of em'?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

He got killed so hard his physical body shell got sent to the void.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"It was there...he learned of GOD's scribe. Metatron 1." I think Metatron, and his physical shell, have always been within the Void - Koss didn't get the chance to banish him from Throne because he was never there to begin with.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
To nip this confusion in the bud, you mean Zoss. Koss was a blacksmith god, Zoss is the conquering king.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Renaissance Robot posted:

To nip this confusion in the bud, you mean Zoss. Koss was a blacksmith god, Zoss is the conquering king.

In my defense, I hadn't yet finished my coffee when I posted that.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

If reincarnation causes amnesia, why does 2 Michael remember his previous incarnation?
Perhaps Koss made the prime angels and the other angels are kind of by product of that process, only getting physical bodies much later, when Zoss and the original demiurges forged the new pact. They don't seem to have brought back any of the prime angels but 2 Michael. Could angels be limited in power by their names, like devils? Prime angels have straightforward 1 word names, whereas others have longer descriptive names, maybe given to them by humans during the forging of the second concordance. Although this breaks down somewhat since 10 vigilant gaze has a long name and is said to be very powerful.
As far as the specific nature of events before the creation of the multiverse, the mythology is intentionally self contradictory, different sources make different claims, but all of them are true, and none of them.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I wrote a probably overlong post about what I think is going on with Angel names and reincarnation.

With the crop of additional Angels just introduced, I think it still fits. The numbers don't seem to correspond with their strength or age given the text, but the name lengths do.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is 2 Michael the good cop or the bad cop?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Redbeard posted:

Edit: VVV The old devils tale mentions 777 smoking shards of the cold white flame. But does that mean there are 777 prime angels, or 777 angels total? White chain describes her fire as smokeless, also, so maybe neither is true.

yeah the Prime Angels are the big columns chilling out around coming or going guy, aside from 2 Michael and Metatron they're (supposedly) all comatose

I think the idea with the angels is, like the demons, there's endless swarms of them hanging out in the void and only a relative few get incarnated when someone in the normal universe wants them for some reason

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 2, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

He's the police chief who has the mayor breathing down his neck.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was thinking more like the bent chief from Witness.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Have we actually confirmed that an angel's number corresponds to their number of reincarnations? Because honestly it seems more like a hierarchy. 2 Michael would directly below 1 Metatron, and above 3 [whoever].

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

maybe its a good thing white chain cant remember being a prime, then. because catching the 8:30 Yourself to work would be kind of weird

I enjoyed reading these two sentences very much.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

Have we actually confirmed that an angel's number corresponds to their number of reincarnations? Because honestly it seems more like a hierarchy. 2 Michael would directly below 1 Metatron, and above 3 [whoever].

Yes, it's been explicitly stated by the author but I can't find the post at the moment where he did so.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Mentalizer posted:

Yes, it's been explicitly stated by the author but I can't find the post at the moment where he did so.

Oh. Well never mind then.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
What if Metatron really is dead and someone is just using his body as a charade? Fill his lungs with air and play him like a bagpipe to make the holy words come out.

Unlikely, it seems, but I'll just throw this out there.

Otherwise, who's to say prime Angels can't lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TheCIASentMe posted:

What if Metatron really is dead and someone is just using his body as a charade? Fill his lungs with air and play him like a bagpipe to make the holy words come out.

Unlikely, it seems, but I'll just throw this out there.

Otherwise, who's to say prime Angels can't lie?

Weekend at Metatron's