Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Is there a way to change asking price for youth contract players that I'm just missing? If City and PSG are going to be sniffing around my 14 year old newgen centreback (for whom a transfer wouldn't go through until he turned 18 in 2020 ANYWAY) I at least want to put a gigantic gently caress OFF sign on him.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Does anyone have a good wingerless tactic? I've just started with Cagliari and they have one (poo poo) winger.

You can always try 4-2-2-2, 3-5-2, 5-3-2, and/or the 4-1-2-1-2.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shroud posted:

4-3-1-2 is a good narrow attack-minded formation (three central midfielders and one attacking mid)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shroud posted:

Yeah the 4-1-2-1-2 was my go to in a few of the previous versions but I'm having very little luck getting it to function so far. Fullbacks are getting isolated and either hit bad crosses or shoot from stupid angles.

I have a really good deep lying midfielder/regista amd would love to use him as a Pirlo type but it seems hard to get it working well in the match engine. Also what's the best combination using two strikers?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah the 4-1-2-1-2 was my go to in a few of the previous versions but I'm having very little luck getting it to function so far. Fullbacks are getting isolated and either hit bad crosses or shoot from stupid angles.

I have a really good deep lying midfielder/regista amd would love to use him as a Pirlo type but it seems hard to get it working well in the match engine. Also what's the best combination using two strikers?

I usually only play with one forward, but I'd imagine you could do the big man/little man combo effectively. Just don't bother with the Target Man roles, though. The engine takes that to mean that all your players should hoof it up to him a lot more than you like. Maybe try CF/DLF/DF/F9/T with an AF or Poacher? I hate to say it, but it's going to depend on your tactics. If you have fullbacks with good crossing, try an AF or Poacher if he has good Jumping/Heading.

Alternatively, look at why your fullbacks are making bad decisions. If they're isolated, try changing the roles around them to give them options. Another option would be to bump up your Team Shape to Fluid or Very Fluid, since it will compress your team's shape.

Two other options are setting your Width to Narrow/Fairly Narrow, or using fullback roles that let you tell them to Sit Narrower.

For the DLP/Regista, it can work, but you're going to need to find a way to protect your back line when they go wandering up the field. Try partnering him with a DM or Anchorman and see if that helps.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shroud posted:

I usually only play with one forward, but I'd imagine you could do the big man/little man combo effectively. Just don't bother with the Target Man roles, though. The engine takes that to mean that all your players should hoof it up to him a lot more than you like. Maybe try CF/DLF/DF/F9/T with an AF or Poacher? I hate to say it, but it's going to depend on your tactics. If you have fullbacks with good crossing, try an AF or Poacher if he has good Jumping/Heading.

Alternatively, look at why your fullbacks are making bad decisions. If they're isolated, try changing the roles around them to give them options. Another option would be to bump up your Team Shape to Fluid or Very Fluid, since it will compress your team's shape.

Two other options are setting your Width to Narrow/Fairly Narrow, or using fullback roles that let you tell them to Sit Narrower.

For the DLP/Regista, it can work, but you're going to need to find a way to protect your back line when they go wandering up the field. Try partnering him with a DM or Anchorman and see if that helps.

Awesome, thanks!

Cagliari have a really strange make up of players so it's an interesting problem to get a suitable tactic going. They have two excellent playmakers, a quality striker and a promising target man but I'm struggling to incorporate them into a workable shape. I think you're right about the TM role though and that is most likely the explanation for the full back behaviour.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're not using wingers you still need width, both in attack and to support your full-backs when defending.

A flat 3 in midfield with aggressive closing down instructions for the outer midfielders can work. As can a formation with a half-back, which allows the centrebacks to split and close down out wide.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I've finally witnessed a bicycle kick. No, 2 in one season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSd57RoQ1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zs4Rf-CKZU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Anyone have a really good Lower League tactic to recommend? I've tried a few that seem promising, but they all seem to require False 9s or Complete Forwards, and my scouts can't even find a player who can play those positions (other than a handful of Premier League guys), let alone a good one. One tactic got me promoted out of the NL North, but it's not doing so hot in NL Premier.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 2, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sky Shadowing posted:

Anyone have a really good Lower League tactic to recommend? I've tried a few that seem promising, but they all seem to require False 9s or Complete Forwards, and my scouts can't even find a player who can play those positions (other than a handful of Premier League guys), let alone a good one. One tactic got me promoted out of the NL North, but it's not doing so hot in NL Premier.

You don't need special kinds of players to use those roles. They're just sets of instructions.

Ignore every star rating you see. If you can't ignore them, assume they are deliberately trying to mislead you instead.

Peter Crouch played as a FM-style false 9 at Stoke.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The boffins at Sports Interactive created the False 9 role for the game and decided it was Leo Messi. So for its "important attributes" they listed what Messi is good at.

Star ratings for role suitability are based on how good any player is at these specific, arbitrarily-decided attributes.

In reality lots of different kinds of players can contribute well to a team when told to drop off the front line, move with the ball when not under pressure, and play through balls when available.

Picking a role based on what your player can do is working backwards. It's far more important that the role works for the team than the player works for the role.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
ok maybe I can stop playing now... I hope.. please

my pretend fm story can end now right? old guy plays testimonial against our biggest rivals during his time at the club? surely? can I stop ? Please help me, someone , intervention

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

THE PWNER posted:

ok maybe I can stop playing now... I hope.. please

my pretend fm story can end now right? old guy plays testimonial against our biggest rivals during his time at the club? surely? can I stop ? Please help me, someone , intervention

Well there's a patch in a few weeks tops that hopefully fixes the ME some more so, abandon hope, all is lost, you are going nowhere.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Well, I sold my starting GK, left back, right back, and top two central midfielders for a profit of 14 million pounds, bought players totaling 1.5 million to replace them, and naturally we're sitting top of the table, 13 points clear of 2nd. This after finishing 20th, 13th, 21st, and 12th my first 4 seasons in the Championship.

I guess they were just holding my team back

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Sometimes hidden stats and stuff mean a player is just poo poo a lot of the time no matter how good he looks, then some kid with far worse stats but more bottle performs better.

See: Ozil who has insane playmaker stats but really isn't as reliable as worse players. At least I think it's his hiddens because loving hell, something is wrong with him in FM.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 2, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

code:
                            Timo Horn

Felix Passlack  Eder Alvarez Balanta  Emanuel Mammana  Nicola Murru

Lucas Romero

Kristoffer Ajer     Youri Tielemans

Gabriel Barbosa                   Leroy Sane

Breel Embolo

These are my favourite kids in the midrange though a few of them are available really cheap like £1m-6m and most can be loaned, all of them can walk into any squad and be useful while developing. Posting this because I was designing it as a draft team to dick my mate over later. :getin:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Sometimes hidden stats and stuff mean a player is just poo poo a lot of the time no matter how good he looks, then some kid with far worse stats but more bottle performs better.

See: Ozil who has insane playmaker stats but really isn't as reliable as worse players. At least I think it's his hiddens because loving hell, something is wrong with him in FM.

The fullbacks I understand as I believe my mistake was having guys who were essentially wingbacks/glorified wingers thus leaving my defense horribly exposed. The midfielders were both great players though, I got 10 million for a Norwegian regen (from Wigan lol) after he led the club in assists and was named to the league team of the season with a 7.56 rating.

I think it is just that my defending had been so horrifically bad that strengthening it at the expense of the rest of my team really made all the difference. That and Will Grigg still has 20 goals in 27 games despite now being 33 and still rating as a 'decent league 1 player' by my 20 JCA assman.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Fullbacks are trash at defending right now no matter what you do, the trick is having attacking ones and setting them to attack duties and then having them average 8.00 ratings over the course of a season, due to them being the ones best suited to exploiting the defensive frailty of opposition fullbacks.

It's like mutually assured destruction.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Fullbacks are trash at defending right now no matter what you do, the trick is having attacking ones and setting them to attack duties and then having them average 8.00 ratings over the course of a season, due to them being the ones best suited to exploiting the defensive frailty of opposition fullbacks.

Agreed, but I suspect that it's still extra bad having a guy with 8 marking and 11 tackling comparatively to someone who isn't a steaming pile of dogshit at that but can still get forward.

I seem to be having a lot of success using my wingers as inside forwards and having the fullbacks take up the wide duties

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

If you're not using wingers you still need width, both in attack and to support your full-backs when defending.

A flat 3 in midfield with aggressive closing down instructions for the outer midfielders can work. As can a formation with a half-back, which allows the centrebacks to split and close down out wide.

Yeah I've used the halfback role since it was introduced for precisely that reason. Most underrated position imo.

So here is what I'm thinking for my tactic. This shape was the business in fm15 and fm14 for me so hopefully it can somewhat work on 16.

GK (def)
CB (def) CB (def)
WB (at) HB (def) WB (at)
DLP (sup) APM (at)
AM (sup)
AF (at) TM (su)

* I'm only going on what people say about wingbacks in this version- normally I'd set them to support.
* Cagliari have two great playmakers. One is a natural DM and the other can play DM and CM. Seeing as neither are great defensively I figure it's best to play them as central midfielders.
* Not sure how to use my attacking midfielder but will alter based on what I see.
* The two attackers are causing me the biggest problems. I can't seem to score regularly, especially with Sau who looks great on paper. Not sure on the best combinations.
* Tactics wise I've gone with control and fluid as I should be technically better than most of the teams in the division and have a lot of players centrally to dominate possession.

Any obvious flaws here? Tips?

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

SUCK MY DICK RESERVES! loving FINALLY.

I ended up changing my TM to a F9 and he scored a hattrick (despite having all the stats a target man should). Actually ended up having only fifty percent possession but finally managed to score some goals.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I prefer seeing my full-backs get a 6.something and actually winning the game.

Only two numbers actually matter, and they're up on the scoreboard.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah I've used the halfback role since it was introduced for precisely that reason. Most underrated position imo.

So here is what I'm thinking for my tactic. This shape was the business in fm15 and fm14 for me so hopefully it can somewhat work on 16.

GK (def)
CB (def) CB (def)
WB (at) HB (def) WB (at)
DLP (sup) APM (at)
AM (sup)
AF (at) TM (su)

* I'm only going on what people say about wingbacks in this version- normally I'd set them to support.
* Cagliari have two great playmakers. One is a natural DM and the other can play DM and CM. Seeing as neither are great defensively I figure it's best to play them as central midfielders.
* Not sure how to use my attacking midfielder but will alter based on what I see.
* The two attackers are causing me the biggest problems. I can't seem to score regularly, especially with Sau who looks great on paper. Not sure on the best combinations.
* Tactics wise I've gone with control and fluid as I should be technically better than most of the teams in the division and have a lot of players centrally to dominate possession.

Any obvious flaws here? Tips?

- Move your wingbacks back into the defensive line. No need for them to defend so high. They'll attack in the same way.
- 'Control' is for direct clogger teams. If you want to dominate possession play Defensive or Counter which are more patient approaches.
- Big space between the back and front halves of your team. Luckily the Target Man will attract long balls.
- No one is overlapping the Target Man from midfield. His only support is way ahead of him.
- AP-A and AM-S will stand in the same place waiting for the ball.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

I prefer seeing my full-backs get a 6.something and actually winning the game.

Only two numbers actually matter, and they're up on the scoreboard.

Those numbers do great when your CWB-s and CWB-a have an assist and 10 key passes each, also right now wingbacks defend quite well as long as they defend on the front foot.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I had a full back with something like 8.5 average over a full season. He had ten times more key passes than the next best player in the league. Not sure if he mattered much in terms of the team's overall success though.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't have proper wingers so my fullbacks are the ones exploiting the opposing fullbacks, and they top assists on all my teams atm.

When's the patch gonna be, gonna be interesting to see what happens to Leicester.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

When's the patch gonna be, gonna be interesting to see what happens to Leicester.

Transfer window's only just closed. Give it a week or two.

Leicester will be better than Southampton, worse than Liverpool.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Can't wait for the Feb patch to do its usual overreacting so we get Dmitri Payet, Literal World's Best Player

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
After 3 years finishing 7th-8th with Villa, there just isn't the funds to crack the top six and my stars are getting restless. Butland already jumped ship and Shaqiri keeps agitating for a move to Spurs that I keep rejecting because nobody half as good will come.

I've brought in Alex Iwobi and Michael Frey to add goals to the midfield and stop them passing it around the box for hours on end. Also applying the advice in this thread to try to stop Benteke being such a donkey.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

St Evan Echoes posted:

Can't wait for the Feb patch to do its usual overreacting so we get Dmitri Payet, Literal World's Best Player

I'd worry more about those kids United have given a couple of appearances to becoming guaranteed future world-beaters. Researchers are given a lot more leeway with Potential Ability of youth than Current Ability of developed players.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

- Move your wingbacks back into the defensive line. No need for them to defend so high. They'll attack in the same way.
- 'Control' is for direct clogger teams. If you want to dominate possession play Defensive or Counter which are more patient approaches.
- Big space between the back and front halves of your team. Luckily the Target Man will attract long balls.
- No one is overlapping the Target Man from midfield. His only support is way ahead of him.
- AP-A and AM-S will stand in the same place waiting for the ball.

This was the first time my fullbacks/wing backs weren't complete gash so I night leave them there for the time being.

Will play around with control/counter/defensive but have been reasonably happy so far with the former.

I think using the target man role was the bane of all my problems tbh. Changing to a f9 did wonders.

Definitely agree with the attacking midfielder issue though. Will put him on attack for the next game and see if that helps. He's been anonymous so far.

Half backs are the real sweepers in my opinion. Definitely my favourite position as you can actually see him doing precisely what he should be doing on the match engine.

Re Leicester; Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater and Kante are going to be bumped up for sure. Liverpool should get downgraded plenty tbh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's possible that you simply don't need a player in that hole when you have two strikers, one of whom drops off the front, and an advancing playmaker.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sassassin posted:

It's possible that you simply don't need a player in that hole when you have two strikers, one of whom drops off the front, and an advancing playmaker.

Where would you use the extra player? He's not that great anyway so it wouldn't be much of a loss but Cagliari aren't exactly choc full of quality players.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ewar Woowar posted:

This was the first time my fullbacks/wing backs weren't complete gash so I night leave them there for the time being.

Ewar's right, fullbacks are completely conter-intuitive right now. A CWB-a will defend better than a FB-d and I'm not just talking about the rating number. Also -s roles are quite good too because of the diagonal balls they produce, which fullbacks just can't deal with atm.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ewar Woowar posted:

Where would you use the extra player? He's not that great anyway so it wouldn't be much of a loss but Cagliari aren't exactly choc full of quality players.

IF-s on the right wing between dlp and af-a. Narrow & roaming. Play the same player from the middle there.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
So what would be the best general starting formation/player roles that I can then adjust to the players I have/want? And I'm getting the sense to avoid control and only use defensive/counter and attacking?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I've been using a counter 4-4-2 and an attacking 4-4-2 and I'm now 15 points up in the Championship while having the 24th largest transfer spend and 22nd highest wage budget, so it looks like that's the way to go. Both are incredibly boring tactics.

The counter 4-4-2 uses one instruction 'hit early crosses' and it's just two support fullbacks, two cbs, two support wingers, a support cm, an advanced playmaker cm (not sure if this is even a good idea, but I wanted to get my team working through my best player) and a support deep lying forward/attacking advanced forward up top.

For the attacking one I switched the fullbacks to wingbacks (still support) the wingers to inside forwards (also still support) and the advanced playmaker moved from mc to amc. Despite this being a more attacking formation I actually have it narrower than the other one.

First formation tends to 'shut down the game' by giving me a lot of possession but neither team gets many chances, I use this for the most difficult away games and home games against teams with a lot of goal scoring ability. The other one I use for most away matches and easier home matches. It seems counter-intuitive that the more aggressive style works better away, but any time I try to hold possession away it seems to backfire horribly. I am guessing that is a combination of my team still not being very good technically and the match engine possibly viewing possession as the thing most influenced by home/away and thus longballing away is just the way to go. (This could be totally wrong)

Regardless, it's working out way better than any other tactics I'd tried my first 8 seasons in this game. I just beat 2nd placed Leicester to all but secure the title despite my #1 striker, #1 ML, #1 MR, #1 MC, and #1 CB all being injured, and both of my fullbacks and my reserve right back being on international duty. So it's either the tactics or the game just feeling sorry for me and working to get me promoted.

Maybe the board will finally expand the stadium now, it's either that or we're rolling into the Premiership with a 5000 capacity stadium. Woohoo. Sadly Will Grigg destroyed his achilles tendon scoring the winning goal in my previous match, so it looks like his career is pretty much going to end with 110 goals in about 140 league appearances for me. Not a bad return.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm quite enjoying 90% of my goals being described as "good finishes from 6 yards out" due to the fact that crosses are so broken and goalkeepers don't even attempt to pick them out, leading to free tap ins at the far post.

Seriously these aren't even good crosses, but the keepers do not move and don't try to block or catch them.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

THE PWNER posted:

I'm quite enjoying 90% of my goals being described as "good finishes from 6 yards out" due to the fact that crosses are so broken and goalkeepers don't even attempt to pick them out, leading to free tap ins at the far post.

Seriously these aren't even good crosses, but the keepers do not move and don't try to block or catch them.

I'm actually insanely loving sick of 90% of goals being from poo poo crosses because the match engine is broken, leading to me having to find ways to plug holes in my team through analysing the ME and not through any sort of footballing logic

when's the next patch come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm actually insanely loving sick of 90% of goals being from poo poo crosses because the match engine is broken, leading to me having to find ways to plug holes in my team through analysing the ME and not through any sort of footballing logic

when's the next patch come out?

This month.