Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Blacula posted:

I don't really see how the latest drama is going to make the game die.

Even if I take everything in the quit video/post at face value, what do I learn? Bleeding edge raiders face challenges other than ingame content. Doesn't affect me.

The situation should be used as a constructive force, to push for bugfixes and better testing. Anything else is petty dickwaving.

I mean, if you ask me, I don't think anything's changed since I quit aside from an exodus of good players and a consolidation of players who i recognized as good back then (just took a look at Trinity's roster and I recognize like, every Cleric in their section from the time I quit, for example). On the other hand if you look at kill times between NA and Europe there's a distinct lack of parity on the top end in North America from 1.5+ years ago, and the progression density is even worse when compared to early storm legion and before.

I'm always hopeful that trion manages to keep quality players incoming but the pattern that a lot of us observed was that the influx of players was never going to meet the flow of good players quitting the game for reasons not necessarily tied to the game and to a lot of guilds that's enough to call a game dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not trying to revive a dead thread about a dying 5 year old MMO run by the Worst(tm) MMO company in the slightest but I would like to warn any potential new player what you would be getting into:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-...voidstones.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rift/comments/42pyk8/earring_slots_and_planewalker_water_to_be_put/

In their latest cash grab Trion have put gear slots strictly behind the paywall. Previously you could grind them out using in game currency. No longer.

Also a number of players have been getting banned wholesale for being remotely negative about this change, or even discussing this change. If you played Archeage and saw Trion doing their heavy handed censorship thing you already know what to expect.

Anyway prospective players, by all means try Rift. Just don't complain about anything you experience because you really should know better by now when that Trion logo flashes up :v:

(don't play any Trion games, seriously)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

It's amazing how Trion has consistently made the worst possible decisions ever since the AH changes.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

5 year old mmo cash grabs to stay afloat, why I never!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I miss that time we all raided as drunk fairies.

If only that instance scaled up to 20 people.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Zoness posted:

I miss that time we all raided as drunk fairies.

If only that instance scaled up to 20 people.

Hopefully the old gang can get back together in some game in the future. I still have a bunch of you as steam friends.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing WoW as a filthy alliance player and I think Vandee was playing wow with some goons on mal'ganis. I actually met tsu in person earlier this month that was pretty fun.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Planewalker and earrings weren't ever very practical to grind anyway.

(hello from ff14, land of catgirls and cutscenes)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I have a summoner but I'm considering resubbing and leveling up a dragoon to play after I inevitably ragequit diablo 3 trying to roll ancient rings/neck if my guild starts doing one night mythic clears.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Breaking the game raiding with everyone again would be awesome. I picked up WoW again to play with some friends back home but haven't really looked at anything else.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Does this earring silliness ever matter much if you don't plan to raid? I installed this the other night to have something I can play house in until Project Gorgon gets around to implementing houses, not sure when I should expect the paywall to get too stupid. (I don't mind dropping $10 for a pixel pony to support a game, but I have just enough self-respect to not be willing to pay cash for stats. :v: )

Currently wandering around as a rogue ranger/bard and some irrelevant third soul I can't spare points for yet.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This game was a lot of fun :sigh: I have like 1200+ hours in this fucker. Balance issues and then the horrible F2P transition really killed it. These latest changes are incredibly hilarious though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Trion leadership is incredibly hosed and they basically threw away a good solid moneymaking game in favor of poo poo like Archeage and Defiance, which are dying even faster somehow.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deki posted:

Trion leadership is incredibly hosed and they basically threw away a good solid moneymaking game in favor of poo poo like Archeage and Defiance, which are dying even faster somehow.

They loving bungled it big time with both of those releases. I obviously don't have their inside financials, but I'd be amazed if they weren't hovering on the very edge of insolvency with how blatant they've been grasping for dollars from both this game and Archeage. The emergence of F2P in the West might've changed attitudes a little, but openly paying for power like this is pretty dang taboo.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Don't worry, I'm sure Devilian will save them.

Seriously, it's been like a month and I still can't find a thread either in MMO or Games. The game must be God-loving horrible for it to not have a thread here.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Devilian was fun, but I just can't get used to the top down view. You want AA to fail, but it makes good money and will do so while games with great f2p models like trove and devilian struggle. The more p2w your model is, or harsh of a f2p system, the more money you make. The goon ideal of a system doesn't actually work. The demand for rift to go f2p killed it, but it had a good 3 years and that's a lot more than most.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I thought about playing devilian (it looked ok to play) but it was too close to season 5 of d3 and I'm playing that until ascendancy in poe and/or I finish my 24 set dungeon masteries this season.

Devilian feels like wildstar for casuals to me.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Devilian feels like wildstar for casuals to me.

So, sane?

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
So I just installed this game about a week ago and was really looking forward to trying it out, but after reading how they are forcing the cash shop is it even worth it to start? I was just mostly looking for a game to play for a couple hours a night. Just for questing and checking out the beastly talent system. Should I just stay away?

Whiskeybent_Texan
Jun 21, 2009

Polegrinder posted:

So I just installed this game about a week ago and was really looking forward to trying it out, but after reading how they are forcing the cash shop is it even worth it to start? I was just mostly looking for a game to play for a couple hours a night. Just for questing and checking out the beastly talent system. Should I just stay away?

I played for a while, and at first it seemed like a lot of fun but after a while I realized it's really homogenized, every class can do every role, and not every soul is actually any good at what it's meant for, such as Warden actually being a lovely raod healing spec, despite that being it's sole purpose.

It's really not that great a game. It's a dated engine that isn't optimized for poo poo, so it runs poorly, it's buggy, and most of all the cash shop is rather crammed down your throat. You can't even get more bag slots without spending real money.

Also, clerics are completely OP.

Whiskeybent_Texan fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 3, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
not (just) a dated engine, that poo poo is gamebryo

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It remains the only MMO that I've ever pre-ordered, and I've been playing the things for an embarrassingly long time.

I'd have probably decided against it if I'd got my main past the mid-thirties, or an opposite faction character to the same place, because poo poo took a turn after that.

It had some really neat ideas for the time, but ones that either didn't shake out, or have been largely replicated and improved on by other games since.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Eh, was going to write up why new players can still enjoy the game but Trion is getting more efficient at screwing the game up: http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/news-announcements/477185-patron-rewards-get-even-better.html

"F2P gets even worse" would have been a better title IMO. Very little reason to start playing this game, really.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Blacula posted:

"F2P gets even worse" would have been a better title IMO. Very little reason to start playing this game, really.

The earring changes suck, but it's only two item slots. Rift was never a min/max stat grind and I doubt anyone cares that you don't wear a pair. Even patrons had to buy earring slots.

F2P was never promised to remain static. By definition, they must offer incentives for patron. All they're doing is adjusting the patron benefits.

If it bothers you to be F2P, then pay to be patron.

They're still supporting this game and giving expansions\updates for free.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Arae posted:

Rift was never a min/max stat grind and I doubt anyone cares that you don't wear a pair.

Hey I don't know about never but once they got rid of every incentive for people to wait to raid, sure.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Arae posted:

This is Trion's logic, too. Whereas most people think 'nah, gently caress that' and uninstall.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Arae posted:

The earring changes suck, but it's only two item slots. Rift was never a min/max stat grind and I doubt anyone cares that you don't wear a pair. Even patrons had to buy earring slots.

F2P was never promised to remain static. By definition, they must offer incentives for patron. All they're doing is adjusting the patron benefits.

They're still supporting this game and giving expansions\updates for free.

Source your quotes, please.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
still laughing at rift was never a minmax stats game

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

In addition to these new bonuses, the following convenience perks are now exclusive to our Patrons:
- stacking charges for Dungeons, Warfonts, and Instant Adventures
- accumulating rest experience

quote:

- accumulating rest experience

well, they seem to have learned something from Archeage

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
wait so baseline gameplay features were moved to patron only?

and we thought it was bad enough that the only way to get Rapid Assault Planebreaker Bastion was to skip trash by using cash shop items.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Their reasoning is straight up that they are in a financial bind and need to get people to spend more money. Somehow, I doubt making the game more hostile to new players and alienating their existing playerbase will help solve that issue.

Their suggestion that this is no big deal since F2P players can just buy REX is hilarious, though, considering that just last week they had to increase the plat cap for F2P players since REX were selling way above what was mechanically possible for F2P players to possess.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

there is a f2p plat cap? lol

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Soon you will only be able to get the flaring power buff if you are a patron.

Debuff doesn't reset until you pay 100 credits.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

This is the best part of the announcement:

quote:

Ultimately, all three of these systems fall under the category of convenience.
- Rest XP gives you a boost in leveling speed.
- Stacking Dungeon, Warfront and Instant Adventure charges allow you to delay using them until you're good and ready.
- The ability to choose specific queues for Warfronts and Dungeons allows you to pick the exact content you want to do, when you want to do it.

These are of course beneficial and convenient, but not necessary in order to play RIFT. Therefore, they are the sort of thing we believe should be reserved for Patrons. When we reviewed RIFT as a whole this year, we identified this as an area we had overlooked previously.
On a side note, any non-patron can group with a Patron friend, who can then select specific queues for the group. In this way, a Patron provides benefits to those around them.

Whoah, players picking what content they want to do, and doing it when they have playtime???? Better lock that poo poo up tight.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Blacula posted:

This is Trion's logic, too. Whereas most people think 'nah, gently caress that' and uninstall.

wonder why their mobius strip of recycled garbage is dead

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!
Well, the game is still good to scratch the mmo itch. I still have fun with it.

Also, could someone invite Fufinsko into the guild, I made an alt :P

Pyraen
Feb 20, 2009
So is Rift dead now? Logged in today, first time for years, to find that the guild has been transferred to the unknown shard by Stampy.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Pyraen posted:

So is Rift dead now? Logged in today, first time for years, to find that the guild has been transferred to the unknown shard by Stampy.

It then came back to that same shard, so you need to join the new guild assuming it is still around.

It's over 5 years old now and dead to goons pretty much, i am not sure what population it has in general.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Eltoasto posted:

i am not sure what population it has in general.

I don't raid or PvP and I haven't tried dungeons yet, but just wandering around doing random PvE leveling poo poo on Hailol shard I pretty much always see other players around even outside the main city. So it's at least not a wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
It's pretty much filled with people that invested enough in it that they won't leave, despite all the negative things Trion's been doing. That being said, they just released a new pack of souls today for the low low price of $34.99. I still pop in very infrequently just to play pretty dress up, but other than that I still don't have a max level character.

• Locked thread