Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dalris Othaine posted:

...tell us more of this. :stare:

Honestly I'd just keep an eye out on Reddit for major guilds doing datacron runs. I had about 8 that were giant pains in the rear end to get that I ended up just waiting and joining a guild run - they'd either for free, or a small donation of like 20-50k, form a giant ops group and summon people from location to location using their flagship to get the hard to reach datacrons. There's also guilds that frequently do pulls to the fleet datacron, again either for free or for a small donation.

And as far as doing the Rishi datacrons - I thought they patched out the cheating method of doing it, but if they didn't I do recommend putting some time aside and actually doing it the right way sometime if for no other reason than to get the titles associated with them - Incredible Smell Discoverer, for example. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Medullah posted:

And as far as doing the Rishi datacrons - I thought they patched out the cheating method of doing it, but if they didn't I do recommend putting some time aside and actually doing it the right way sometime if for no other reason than to get the titles associated with them - Incredible Smell Discoverer, for example. :D

They haven't patched it and you still get Incredible Smell Discoverer! (you don't get the other titles though)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

I can sort of understand that, just seems like they went too far. Feels like I'll be over level and under equipped all of the time with the current leveling speed doing nothing but storyline.

I wear oranges with upgrades, although I've come to understand doing heroics is even better for gear. You won't be undergeared, I promise.

And I'm pretty happy with leveling up fast. Admittedly, I'm playing this almost entirely as a single-player game, and I also know that I'll be running alts through these same exact stories once I'm done with my current character. So I really value not having to do so much of the same content over and over again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The Locator posted:

I can sort of understand that, just seems like they went too far. Feels like I'll be over level and under equipped all of the time with the current leveling speed doing nothing but storyline.

Pretty sure you can do story missions naked and still be effective.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Locator posted:

Doing nothing but storyline you will always stay slightly overlevelled, and geared appropriately for the ongoing section of the story. Just doing story also awards enough of special currency that you can use to purchase raid gear with. You'll have dozens of times more of it than it is needed to optimally gear out for the first raiding tier, which also will make you ridiculously overgeared for literally any other kind of normal difficulty PvE content - you can do that around levels 50-60, I do not remember exactly. There is maybe one bit of story where ongoing gear may be insufficient - a particular boss in a particular story mode dungeon around levels 40-50. Other than that specific encounter, and only under certain circumstances, gear provided by the story will never prove to be an issue of any sort, as far as PvE content, story mode raids excluding, goes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Norns posted:

Pretty sure you can do story missions naked and still be effective.

Challenge accepted!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Doing nothing but storyline you will always stay slightly overlevelled, and geared appropriately for the ongoing section of the story. Just doing story also awards enough of special currency that you can use to purchase raid gear with. You'll have dozens of times more of it than it is needed to optimally gear out for the first raiding tier, which also will make you ridiculously overgeared for literally any other kind of normal difficulty PvE content - you can do that around levels 50-60, I do not remember exactly. There is maybe one bit of story where ongoing gear may be insufficient - a particular boss in a particular story mode dungeon around levels 40-50. Other than that specific encounter, and only under certain circumstances, gear provided by the story will never prove to be an issue of any sort, as far as PvE content, story mode raids excluding, goes.

This isn't 100% true. The only way you'll really be "optimally" geared for the first raiding tier is if you have raid gear with set bonus. Stats are close to meaningless, and as said before, going into a Story Mode raid with old 178 gear on compared to Radiant Crystal 220 gear will result in a net difference of stats that is close to nothing.

As an example, I did a raid with my Sniper a while back where I forgot to grab her gear back from my Gunslinger who I sent it to for a HM raid on pub side. So she literally had NOTHING in 7 slots, not even empty orange gear, and no set bonus. I still pulled 3500-4000 DPS on the raid, and I was practicing a new spec at the time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I did refer to the discussion from some dozen pages ago where the consensus appeared to be that the best thing to buy for story mode operations is a 190 gear, which did cost me some 50 common data crystals.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
^^ that's also the best gear for level 65 PVP while you're working on your 204 set, anything higher and you'll lose expertise

Kainser posted:

They haven't patched it and you still get Incredible Smell Discoverer! (you don't get the other titles though)

Confirmed, I did it last night exactly how the video from a few pages back showed

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

FYI there's no conquest event this week. Something went wrong somewhere and it won't be fixed this week apparently. New event starting only on the 9th.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

kalstrams posted:

I did refer to the discussion from some dozen pages ago where the consensus appeared to be that the best thing to buy for story mode operations is a 190 gear, which did cost me some 50 common data crystals.

Where do you get this? I was able to find the level 65 stuff (208) and got it, but apparently it's not as good as the lower stuff because of the boost.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Which, if any, HM operation is generally considered puggable?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

mastajake posted:

Where do you get this? I was able to find the level 65 stuff (208) and got it, but apparently it's not as good as the lower stuff because of the boost.

Level 60 crystal vendor

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Hulk Smash! posted:

FYI there's no conquest event this week. Something went wrong somewhere and it won't be fixed this week apparently. New event starting only on the 9th.

Boo.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Frog Act posted:

I made a guy in this game and its pretty neat, I like the Trooper storyline so far even if it is hella generic. I'm on the Goon server as DongQuixote.

Quick question: does this game have a big "world" like a normal MMO or is it sectioned off into zones or what? I wasn't expecting to be seeing so many other PCs running around the starting zone, for some reason I thought everything was instanced. Oh and how can I put away this fancy armor the game gave me thats taking up half my inventory, I don't wanna look like a pilot

It's sectioned off into planets which are mostly further sectioned off into 4-5 areas with base hubs, questing areas and sets of instances. You can tell the instances because they have green/red colored fields that you walk through into the instance, and pointing your mouse at the field will say either GROUP or a class name.

Some of the later planets like Tattooine and Hoth have larger areas than others, for immersion I guess. Not sure if you'd call the areas or the planets themselves zones, the border between planet areas is seamless though often has a bottleneck/canyon crossing.

You can dump your extra armor into your ship vault once you have that. There are also vaults off the center ring on the fleet which you should get to after the starting planet. And in Coruscant in the area down the ramps outside the senate building (Dromund Kass City for imps).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

mastajake posted:

190 gear is also available from the Ziost equipment vendor although you need Ziost commendations to buy the pieces.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

190 gear is also available from the Ziost equipment vendor although you need Ziost commendations to buy the pieces.

The only pieces I would buy there are earpieces and implants since you can buy 190 mods/enhancements/hilts/barrels/armorings from the level 60 gear vendor now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
jfc. finally purged and re-installed both my video drivers and the entire game. now maybe i wont have to try logging in 3-4 times before it will not crash.

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi
kp is hm op of the week. get your ez 224 gear~

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Hulk Smash! posted:

WHY IS EVERYTHING BROKEN ALWAYS

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So thanks to the Amazon deal I have about 2600 coins available right now. I bought the fully upgraded rocket boots, the quick travel cooldown reductions, and improved mounting.

Any other good convenience or utility legacy unlocks? More inventory slots? The improved speeder piloting perks? Field respec? I am playing around with a bunch of different characters instead of focusing on a single one ( highest char is 24) so things to improve the low level experience is fine by me.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mr. Neutron posted:

Which, if any, HM operation is generally considered puggable?

pinkk posted:

kp is hm op of the week. get your ez 224 gear~

I suppose that answers my question.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tortolia posted:

So thanks to the Amazon deal I have about 2600 coins available right now. I bought the fully upgraded rocket boots, the quick travel cooldown reductions, and improved mounting.

Any other good convenience or utility legacy unlocks? More inventory slots? The improved speeder piloting perks? Field respec? I am playing around with a bunch of different characters instead of focusing on a single one ( highest char is 24) so things to improve the low level experience is fine by me.

You can buy increased companion-influence modifiers, but that's per-character, not legacy-wide.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tortolia posted:

I would unlock the fleet pass cooldown (all levels give you zero cooldown) but other than that I'd probably save your coins for unlocking cool items in collections. Remember that almost all of the QOL perks you can buy you can buy with credits as well as cartel coins, but unlocking items in collections REQUIRES cartel coins.

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi

Mr. Neutron posted:

I suppose that answers my question.

Didn't see your first post, but EV & KP are the easiest HM ops. I pug both on all my dudes every week.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Canemacar posted:

Decided to roll a Jedi Knight because I'm exactly the kind of Luke Skywalker wannabe the class is made for.

Me, too. This isn't my picture, but this is my JK, and it's easy to re-create.

As far as your rotation, I revisited it after someone said I'm using too many buttons and now it's something like this for me. I got most of this from Duffy's 4.0 Vigilance Guide, but I don't have all the moves yet. Keep Blade Storm, Blade Dance, and Plasma Brand on CD. Plasma Brand resets the CD of Blade Dance, so you can go BD -> PB -> BD. I open with Force Leap, do my big CDs, and use Sundering Strike as filler because it generates Focus. I also use the generator in Strike, but the guides recommend taking Slash right off the bar. I'm no expert but with a little practice now I feel way better and more in control of my damage than before when I was just mashing and worrying too hard about Focus.
http://dulfy.net/2014/12/11/swtor-3-0-vigilance-guardian-dps-guide-by-rydarus/

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 2, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man why do people try to recreate characters from the movies and EU. Make your own character! For example, this "Nothing but business" Vanguard of mine...

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I have my own characters, it's just fun to see if it's possible to recreate them - also nobody has said "lol nice Luke" or whatever, I think it looks different enough to be a lookalike. I spend a lot of Cartel Coins at the Appearance Designer, I guess. Your guy owns, by the way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gree armor? Check.

Skinny long/short lightsabers? Check.

Cyan crystals to match the Gree armor (which is not "blue", really)? Check.

Sexy color-matched beret? Check.

:smuggo:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Firstborn posted:

I have my own characters, it's just fun to see if it's possible to recreate them - also nobody has said "lol nice Luke" or whatever, I think it looks different enough to be a lookalike. I spend a lot of Cartel Coins at the Appearance Designer, I guess. Your guy owns, by the way.

I will admit I slightly copied Oedzi for my Operative's new look.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Also, this is an aside, but every hairstyle in the game that isn't a direct reference to the 70's looks odd in Star Wars to me. If I don't have a beard, I usually take the rad sideburns. Need more shirts with big rear end collars.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Is there a shirt that looks like the uniform all the Republic officer NPCs wear? I'm trying to find something to dress Lieutenant Iresso in besides trooper armor.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Does this help at all? I don't know the NPC you are talking about :
http://tor-fashion.com/republic-officer/
If this is the set, this one looks kinda close:
http://tor-fashion.com/civilian-pilot/

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 2, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Firstborn posted:

Does this help at all? I don't know the NPC you are talking about :
http://tor-fashion.com/republic-officer/
If this is the set, this one looks kinda close:
http://tor-fashion.com/civilian-pilot/

It looks like that has a lot more gewgaws and stuff bolted to it than the uniforms NPCs like Garza or Var Suthra have, but it seems like that's as close as you can get. Since it's just playing dressup with a companion I'll lose in KotFE anyway, I guess it'll do. :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Firstborn posted:

Also, this is an aside, but every hairstyle in the game that isn't a direct reference to the 70's looks odd in Star Wars to me. If I don't have a beard, I usually take the rad sideburns. Need more shirts with big rear end collars.

muttonchops all day every day

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How do people feel about sharpshooter vs saboteur smuggler?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

How do people feel about sharpshooter vs saboteur smuggler?

Boring but best at PvP vs fun and better at PvE.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh, official forums. In the thread where they talk about conquest being cancelled for the week -

quote:

/unsub

your incompetence these months doesn't worth money, and respect.

bioware, enough is enough, just resign and let efficient devs create a good mmorpg, respecting the lore and the spirit of star wars.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Let me guess, they also do "*witty but not quite statement* /discuss" poo poo too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sad, Arcann's VA has brain cancer.

https://twitter.com/ETDellums/status/694380900105199616

• Locked thread