Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

and I've been enjoying every minute of it.

can't wait for hitball pt. 2: return of hitball

Hitball 2: Hit Harder :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Hitball 2: The Search For More Anime

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They're going to ban Hitball.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One year outside, one day inside.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

Out of comic, it's been a couple hundred pages and almost 5 years. So, yeah.

To be fair, those numbers aren't entire accurate since it doesn't account for the fact that we spent 2 of those years on a once a week basis. If he never went to twice a week, we would be actually still getting excited for Spender v. Forge to happen. :v:
I'm being completely serious, too. I did a quick bit of math, and we'd be roughly on this page by now. The moral of the story is be happy with what you have; it could always be worse! (Note: I was using averages here, which more than accounts for Zack's more than uncommon update delays.)

Edit: I think it would help if Zack did more bite sized chapters, like Chapters 2 and 3. The big chapters are nice and all, but I think they're stalling the story progression quite a bit since each chapter is suppose to be it's own contained thing. We could've easily been on the next chapter by now if Zack had just cut out like, three or four of the things that happened during hitball and just moved them to other stories.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 29, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
good pacing requires editing and revision. it's always hard to edit and revise your own work, to cut things that may be good - may be really good! - but harm the work as a whole. it's always hard, but it's especially hard for a work that gets serialized as fast as you can make pages.

this is the Second Great Webcomic Curse. the first curse is getting one and a half chapters in before vanishing forever; so, again, it could be worse

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

VerdantSquire posted:

Also a bit late to the conversation where this was discussed, but this scene is evidence against the idea of Zarei being Spender's SO, since someone else who is clearly not Lucifer is in Spender's home while Zarei is busy leaving Day at a motel.

Edit: In case anyone has trouble seeing it:

Isn't the more logical conclusion that Spender lives with his parent(s)?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

VerdantSquire posted:

To be fair, those numbers aren't entire accurate since it doesn't account for the fact that we spent 2 of those years on a once a week basis. If he never went to twice a week, we would be actually still getting excited for Spender v. Forge to happen. :v:
I'm being completely serious, too. I did a quick bit of math, and we'd be roughly on this page by now.
And every missed update we would have the "Zach should just cut his update schedule to once every two weeks" conversation

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't the more logical conclusion that Spender lives with his parent(s)?

idk, i like the idea of spender living on his own, it really accentuates the concept of "youngish dude trying to take on way more than he can handle alone"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-95/

It does seem that Richard Darkstorme Spender is in trouble :worry:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Student Council poster in panel 3 appears to be based on this thing from Red Dwarf:

Or possibly its sister poster "vote fascist for a 3rd glorious decade of total law enforcement" (same appearance, different text)

e/ unless those posters are themselves based on a more famous original which I just haven't heard of, which is very possible.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 29, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lucifer was right to be nervous, some students already know the devil

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Well, somebody wrote Mr. Spender's name on that lunchbag. And that somebody felt the need to add a little heart.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, somebody wrote Mr. Spender's name on that lunchbag. And that somebody felt the need to add a little heart.

i admit it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah. He did. Because he's a big loser.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It was Forge

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I need someone to spell things out for me every update.

I can't tell if Spender didn't notice something was up with Jeff because he's wrapped up in his own problems or he did and he's just letting him go in to see what his plan is.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The former, I think. If I remember correctly Hijacks possession isn't readily apparent even to spectrals.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I can't tell if Spender didn't notice something was up with Jeff because he's wrapped up in his own problems or he did and he's just letting him go in to see what his plan is.

I'm pretty sure he did not notice.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Am I dumb thinking Agent Day might be Max's old babysitter? He did reply like he already knew her, and was staring on the train.

Also, I wonder if Max's dad knows any of the other cast, since he grew up in Mayview.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Great post/username combo.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kazy posted:

Am I dumb thinking Agent Day might be Max's old babysitter? He did reply like he already knew her, and was staring on the train.

It looks that way, but it's not confirmed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jeff's shirt has been doing some heavy lifting this chapter

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Coach Oop is alright.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tollymain posted:

jeff's shirt has been doing some heavy lifting this chapter

It really is just perfect

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

holy poo poo

Yeah. It's kind of the fatal flaw for longform webcomics. I think a lot of aspiring artists would benefit from trying to make the equivalent of a two-hour movie rather than a twenty volume manga. It would tighten up the pacing and they'd actually have a decent shot of finishing their story.

(Paranatural can stay just the way it is though.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

readingatwork posted:

Yeah. It's kind of the fatal flaw for longform webcomics. I think a lot of aspiring artists would benefit from trying to make the equivalent of a two-hour movie rather than a twenty volume manga. It would tighten up the pacing and they'd actually have a decent shot of finishing their story.

(Paranatural can stay just the way it is though.)

I still love Nimona for this reason. Tightly paced, tightly plotted, and finished in a reasonable amount of time. (Helps that it was beautiful and well written!)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

New Page!

Man, everybody is getting great speeches after Hitball.

Also 'Look at me I'm a floating raisin with a belief system' made me laugh so hard I woke up my cat.

And an avatar-sized one (I think?):

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 2, 2016

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-96

Only flats for now

No update this friday.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It's impressive how good his coloring is - those just being the flats already look amazing.

Also lol alt text

when ur main dude grabs ur butt and asks u if ur feelin' ok

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahahah good update

I just realize Johnny is screaming NO SUPERVISON. Gotta lvoe how Ed doesn't question his muse when he asks for push ups. Not surprised that Johnny is second guessing about digging any further. I have a feeling he's probably gonna ask Max by himself later.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Hahahah good update

I just realize Johnny is screaming NO SUPERVISON. Gotta lvoe how Ed doesn't question his muse when he asks for push ups. Not surprised that Johnny is second guessing about digging any further. I have a feeling he's probably gonna ask Max by himself later.

johnny max dimitri splinter ghost busters

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Look at how mad RJ is that they didn't get to hit Johnny with a bat.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I love this comic but Zack has this incredibly annoying tendency to end a page when you really want to know what's going to happen next and then announce he's going to skip the next update.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I bet if we googled his speech we'd find out the RPG he's quotin'.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Shindragon posted:

Hahahah good update

It's NO ADULT SUPERVISION!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

VerdantSquire posted:

I love this comic but Zack has this incredibly annoying tendency to end a page when you really want to know what's going to happen next and then announce he's going to skip the next update.

feel free to create your own fiction, as a fan, during the downtime

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Ollie really is trying to live up to his position as the heart and also the brains.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I like the Mayview Mildcats banner.

Also wow the text is actually curving to follow Johhny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Shindragon posted:

Hahahah good update

Oh wait, Johnny will be able to see the train in the picture they took soon. That's going to be an interesting conversation.