Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

I thought Jakku didn't get Heroes and Villains? Admittedly I haven't played in over a month (got distracted by other games I got at Christmas time), but did an update enable Heroes in the Jakku maps?

Nope. you get heroes on jakku.

Siivola posted:

He was pretty cool. I seem to recall he actually started out as a happy-go-lucky rebel sort in Dark Horse's Republic, until the plot happened and he got assigned to the mission of infiltrating the Separatists. So maybe an issue or so.

That storyline's written by Jon Ostrander, though. He seems obsessed with people falling to the dark side with the best intention, and it sort of kills me, because he's really bad at writing those people.

did he write the one where lukes friend Tank was an imperial LT and fought in the imperial zulu war. because i always liked that one because i have always been an empire fanboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dapper_Swindler posted:

did he write the one where lukes friend Tank was an imperial LT and fought in the imperial zulu war. because i always liked that one because i have always been an empire fanboy.

Nah, that one was Randy Stradley.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't really get all the whining about Battlefront staying a OT only game. Or a lot of the other whining about the game, :dice: certainly did gently caress some stuff up, but I've gotten 70 hours of enjoyment out of it so far, and it has been well worth my investment.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't really get all the whining about Battlefront staying a OT only game.

seems kind of obvious that a lot of people are very excited about the new movie its heroes and villains and would thus like to be able to play with them in their Star Wars videogame. I'm not bent out of shape about it or anything but "canon" just seems like a silly excuse, given the way the game is right now

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Earwicker posted:

seems kind of obvious that a lot of people are very excited about the new movie its heroes and villains and would thus like to be able to play with them in their Star Wars videogame. I'm not bent out of shape about it or anything but "canon" just seems like a silly excuse, given the way the game is right now
Thing is there isn't a whole lot established with the new stuff. We haven't really seen anything that counts for a land battle with the new stuff. Once the next movie comes out in 2 years it will be more fleshed out, and more to play with.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Thing is there isn't a whole lot established with the new stuff. We haven't really seen anything that counts for a land battle with the new stuff.

We've never seen a land battle on Sollust either and that's in the game. They could make a pretty good map on that jungle/temple planet or in the snowy forests of starkiller base.

You really don't need a whole lot of fleshing out to happen for a game like this, you just need a cool looking place for stormtroopers and rebels to shoot at each other and the new movie had plenty of those.

Aside from all that I think people just want the characters anyway. Rey/Finn/Poe on the Heroes side and Kylo/Hux/TR8R on the Villain side.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

KurdtLives posted:

At least these suits apparently care about the franchise.

Star Trek had UPN execs wanting random real world pop acts to randomly show up on the ship in Enterprise.
They also gave the now-King of Jordan a walk-on walk-past role, which is one of my favorite cameos.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't really get all the whining about Battlefront staying a OT only game. Or a lot of the other whining about the game, :dice: certainly did gently caress some stuff up, but I've gotten 70 hours of enjoyment out of it so far, and it has been well worth my investment.

It would be fun to play with characters from the new movie, or even just reskins of the basic troopers, and maps from new locations. Battlefront 2 was great for this, having troopers/maps/heroes from the OT and PT. Play as the Imperials vs. Rebels, or Confederation vs. Republic. Play on Tatooine, Hoth, Naboo, Coruscant, Endor, Mustfar, etc. There was something like 19 planets (counting things like the Death Star and Tantive IV) from both trilogies. It was great.

Battlefront has 5 planets, which is fine, but it's not strange to always want more varied content.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The original Battlefront games also had EU planets. The Rhen Var map was one of my favorites.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

The original Battlefront games also had EU planets. The Rhen Var map was one of my favorites.

Rhen Var's ice caves were amazing grinders. Droidekas in close quarters. Renegade Squadron also had the Korriban map, and the plot was being relayed to Tionne Solusar.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Battlefront 2 did make a lot more effort in reguards to some things, plus I personally think it is just sad that old mods for the Battlefield series still do the job much better.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Good pun or a bad pun?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Benedict_Vidkun

quote:

Vidkun worked as an engineer at the Imperial Complex. Most of Vidkun's low salary was spent on expensive items by his younger wife. His two brothers-in-law were Lair and Daiv. He was a contact of Dash Rendar who accompanied Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca to rescue Leia Organa from Prince Xizor. They paid for the information and the plans for the sewers that lead to Xizor's Palace and hired him to open the grates and the zapping failsafe mechanism. For some reason they didn't trust Vidkun and did not allow him to call his wife before leaving, nor to hold a blaster in the sewers, fearing that he would give them in.

He led the band via the sewers until outside the Palace's recycling room. He left them a key and started to leave but Lando insisted that he would come along and wait for them. After a brief argument, Vidkun pulled off his hidden blaster and shot Dash whom he injured, but Dash shot him between the eyes immediately after.

I just realized he's named after two prominent traitors. ( Benedict Arnold/Vidkun Quisling

I can't imagine why our heroes didn't trust him.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 2, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

After about a month of on-and-off binging, I'm finally done with the Clone Wars.

It's a really good cartoon, and I enjoyed it immensely. :3:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

this. it should have had bots or at least the abbility to play most of the modes offline for fun. and more big maps or even a titanfall like campaign. and and a 132 player map battles.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Making Star Wars says they have on good authority that Grand Admiral Thrawn will be in Rebels Season 3.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I finished Scourge today. Decently fun book, reminds me or the Brian Daley books, which is kind of funny since it's a book that was released without any sort of fanfare in 2012. By and large I liked it, though it has a twist towards the end that's not so great. It also has A force using Hutt, so since everyone loves Planet of Twilight sooooo much.....

We were talking about how all Hutts are generally bad guys, Scourge features some nicer more benevolent Hutts as part of the story, Tales of the Jedi also had one that was somewhat benevolent.

Chairman Capone posted:

Making Star Wars says they have on good authority that Grand Admiral Thrawn will be in Rebels Season 3.
That would be awesome, as long as they stayed as to source as possible. Zahn hasn't weighed in on what he thinks of TFA at all from what I've seen. So I'm thinking he's either really busy, or didn't take it very well. He was anti-Traviss when it was announced that the EU was being swept away so if he didn't like it he'd probably keep it to himself.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. it should have had bots or at least the abbility to play most of the modes offline for fun. and more big maps or even a titanfall like campaign. and and a 132 player map battles.
People keep holding up Battlefront II. Which is kind of funny since it originally wasn't going to have a campaign, but Lucasarts made them include one at last minute and almost sent the whole thing into the toilet. Lucasarts also managed to gently caress up the next few attempts at a sequel by doing dickish things to their partners.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

People keep holding up Battlefront II. Which is kind of funny since it originally wasn't going to have a campaign, but Lucasarts made them include one at last minute and almost sent the whole thing into the toilet. Lucasarts also managed to gently caress up the next few attempts at a sequel by doing dickish things to their partners.

Well, whatever it almost was, the Battlefront II we got was a complete and content rich experience. I like the new Battlefront, but it's like they said, "Graphics are better, no one will mind if it has, like 20% of the content the last one had."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Chairman Capone posted:

I've said it before, Grand Admiral Thrawn is a really popular character and I was sure he would be brought into the new continuity. If this is true, it wouldn't surprise me. They've already brought back some Legends vehicles like the Interdictor and Flurry.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Shadows of the Empire stuff to make it back in, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

That would be awesome, as long as they stayed as to source as possible. Zahn hasn't weighed in on what he thinks of TFA at all from what I've seen. So I'm thinking he's either really busy, or didn't take it very well. He was anti-Traviss when it was announced that the EU was being swept away so if he didn't like it he'd probably keep it to himself.

I haven't heard Zahn's reaction to TFA, but I know he's a fan of Rebels, and the woman who voices Hera was with Zahn on a convention panel and talked about being a big Mara Jade fan, so here's hoping. This second season has been bringing a lot of EU stuff in, not to mention stuff like the ISB and Inquisitors were central to the show from the start.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Shadows of the Empire stuff to make it back in, too.

They did kind of bring Shadows of the Empire stuff back, in the later seasons of Clone Wars with the episode where they had Black Sun and it was all Falleen wearing Xizor's outfit from SOTE.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's still some stuff in Rebels that baffles me as to why it was changed. Like making the A-Wing a product of Kuat Systems Engineering. It begs the question why the Empire never used the fighters.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...Because they already had a contract with Sienar Fleet Systems? :shrug: Really, the same can be asked of all sub-capital spacecraft out there. The Republic had a bewildering array of small military spacecraft in use, so why did the Empire discontinue everything? The answer is always "well Sienar's twin ion engine makes a super cool sound".

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's still some stuff in Rebels that baffles me as to why it was changed. Like making the A-Wing a product of Kuat Systems Engineering. It begs the question why the Empire never used the fighters.

Even in the legends universe, the A-Wing was based on the Jedi Fighters\Interceptors from the prequels.

As for why the Empire didn't use it, TIE Fighters are cheap and they probably just didn't want to spend the money on A-Wings.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Games tend to overstate the effectiveness of fighter shields compared to the movies where unless you are a main character* you'd be lucky to have your shields save you from a glancing hit from a TIE.

Now stuffing shields, equal to a TIE or more lasers, torpedo/missile launchers, life support, astromech slot and a hyperdrive all in one compact package is pretty impressive, but obviously not cost effective and probably a massive maintenance hog! And anything with s-foils is bound to have twice the maintenance hours:flight hour ratio compared to a simpler design!
And it's all paid for by the Organa family's BLOOD MONEY :colbert:

*Astromechs not included

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Even in the legends universe, the A-Wing was based on the Jedi Fighters\Interceptors from the prequels.

As for why the Empire didn't use it, TIE Fighters are cheap and they probably just didn't want to spend the money on A-Wings.

I was certain the A-wing was a converted stunt fighter? I remember the lines almost word for word from Rogue Leader.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Empire is huge, and has an enormous demand for fighters. TIE fighters are affordable and can be manufactured in large enough numbers to meet the Empire's needs for strike craft. A-Wings are probably much more expensive, more time consuming to produce, can't be built in enough numbers, or some combination of the above.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Cythereal posted:

The Empire is huge, and has an enormous demand for fighters. TIE fighters are affordable and can be manufactured in large enough numbers to meet the Empire's needs for strike craft. A-Wings are probably much more expensive, more time consuming to produce, can't be built in enough numbers, or some combination of the above.

That's always been the logic that the old EU uses, quantity vs quality- has there been anything in the NEU with the Empire using that same line of thought?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I would love a couple of episodes where they just raid Old Republic boneyards to get some old mothballed Y-wings with mismatched outer casings.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Cythereal posted:

There was also the fact, according to at least the Technical Journal among other sources, that A-Wings were really loving hard to fly. "High responsiveness and tricky maneuvering of laser cannons" was a phrase that stuck with me as a kid.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Well, whatever it almost was, the Battlefront II we got was a complete and content rich experience. I like the new Battlefront, but it's like they said, "Graphics are better, no one will mind if it has, like 20% of the content the last one had."

To be fair the graphics being so much better also means they put a lot more time into every little detail of the levels they have. I do wish they had more planets, I agree it feels limited, but at the same time it's probably the best looking game I've seen on xbox and I appreciate how much work they put into the levels we did get

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I was certain the A-wing was a converted stunt fighter? I remember the lines almost word for word from Rogue Leader.

Yeah, originally the A-Wing was a post-Yavin only starfighter, but then it showed up in I think Droids and a few other places, so they retconned it into being based off an 'R-22 Spearhead' that was also referred to as an A-Wing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Earwicker posted:

To be fair the graphics being so much better also means they put a lot more time into every little detail of the levels they have. I do wish they had more planets, I agree it feels limited, but at the same time it's probably the best looking game I've seen on xbox and I appreciate how much work they put into the levels we did get

Yeah, I completely agree with all of this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hazo posted:

There was also the fact, according to at least the Technical Journal among other sources, that A-Wings were really loving hard to fly. "High responsiveness and tricky maneuvering of laser cannons" was a phrase that stuck with me as a kid.

Yeah, I could see an elite Imperial squadron or two using A-Wings, but even in the old EU they seemed to be a fairly rare sight as opposed to the ubiquitous X-Wings, Y-Wings, and to a lesser extent B-Wings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still unsure how the Rebels came by the A-Wings in Rebels though. If they are an Imperial Design, they'd either have to defect like the Incom team, or the Rebels stole them.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I've recently been playing through KOTOR 2 again, rediscovering how much I enjoy it, and apparently the guy in charge of continuing the story for the MMO/tie-in novels like actively hates or resents it or something?

Are there any other Star Wars stories out there that have a similar style and tone as KOTOR 2? Also what exactly was the deal with the guy who was writing those books?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Drew Karpyshin is a former writer for Bioware who tried to make the jump to writing novels. He did not transition well at all.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chris Avellone, the chap who wrote KotOR2, apparently doesn't like Star Wars and all its tropes very much. Case in point, KotOR2. :v: So I'm not entirely surprised Karpyshyn, who wrote the most Star Wars game laden with its tropes, doesn't much care for the sequel.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Siivola posted:

Chris Avellone, the chap who wrote KotOR2, apparently doesn't like Star Wars and all its tropes very much. Case in point, KotOR2. :v: So I'm not entirely surprised Karpyshyn, who wrote the most Star Wars game laden with its tropes, doesn't much care for the sequel.

Correction: Bioware writers only know how to write terrible mad libs Bioware games.

Otherwise Karpyshyn wouldn't have put out a Star Wars book where the A plot was literally "guy goes looking for magical forgotten powers, find cursed armor, puts it on anyway, goes looking for scroll of remove curse, finds potion, drinks potion, removes cursed armor".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
KotOR2 is a very unique take on Star Wars that later Star Wars material (mostly by Bioware) has tried very hard to ignore/retcon. If you want a similar story and character experience, look to Obsidian's other hallmark games: Pillars of Eternity, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the only other Star Wars stories with similar tone and approach as KOTOR 2 are some of Matt Stover's books, particularly Traitor.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

broken clock opsec posted:

Correction: Bioware writers only know how to write terrible mad libs Bioware games.

Otherwise Karpyshyn wouldn't have put out a Star Wars book where the A plot was literally "guy goes looking for magical forgotten powers, find cursed armor, puts it on anyway, goes looking for scroll of remove curse, finds potion, drinks potion, removes cursed armor".

The whole cursed armor stuff was actually from a short story written by KJA. I can hardly fault Karpyshyn for spending an entire novel trying to navigate out of his stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the only other Star Wars stories with similar tone and approach as KOTOR 2 are some of Matt Stover's books, particularly Traitor.
I think Jon Ostrander's comics might be close. People trying to do the right thing and loving up, other people being massive jerks, weapons of mass destruction, lots of discussions about whether fixing your problems with Force lightning is okay or not, that sort of stuff.