Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stymie posted:

lol i forgot ipad pro now has half assed multitasking because tim got scared by another batch of advertising

I used it on my iPad Air 2 last night to flick through twitter and use awful.app while watching a youtube video

it's a good feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stymie posted:

lol i forgot ipad pro now has half assed multitasking because tim got scared by another batch of advertising

Tim? More like Tomb, because he's putting Apple in the grave.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TFW in 5 years illegal immigrant workers will be able to do your 6 figgie job for $200 a week

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
TFW foreign workers can already do your 6 figgie job in their home countries for dollars a day

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

TFW foreign workers can already do your 6 figgie job in their home countries for dollars a day

how to access these mens and womens of the far away land to program my disruptive app?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mechanical turk?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mechanical turk?

i thot this was just for "human intel" things like spamming or counting stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sorry, yeah it's upwork you want then

they even have a category for mobile devs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you guys don't remember the outsourcing trend of the mid 2000's where idiot third world code janitors were going to do all of your computer touching for pennies. it turns out their code was garbage (even worse than yours) and any company that tried it got burned hard by the unusable poo poo they produced. somebody probably still got a bonus out of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

somebody probably still got a bonus out of it
it's the circle of middle management, someone gets a bonus for building a pos then the next manager gets a bonus for finishing it then someone asks for new features and another pos gets built, etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i remember it just fine. are you saying there's something innate that makes 1st world western coders better?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was a hilarious shitshow for sure, but i suspect that had as much to do with wholesale outsourcing of entire divisions to new inexperienced contractors that had no institutional or project specific knowledge as anything else

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

some guys got paid!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263492/Software-developer-fired-bosses-learn-outsourced-work-China-spent-ALL-DAY-surfing-web.html

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

you guys don't remember the outsourcing trend of the mid 2000's where idiot third world code janitors were going to do all of your computer touching for pennies. it turns out their code was garbage (even worse than yours) and any company that tried it got burned hard by the unusable poo poo they produced. somebody probably still got a bonus out of it

Pretty much every bank I have worked with offshores all their development to India, quite a few are smart enough to hire Indian developers onsite so they can enjoy the onshore-offshore delights.

I'm always surprised with these frequently Java-only developers that many don't know how to use BSD sockets at all.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i remember it just fine. are you saying there's something innate that makes 1st world western coders better?

i dont know if this has anything to do with it or not, but sometimes i think about how a decent number of my coworkers here in china grew up food insecure, cooking over scrap wood fires without real indoor plumbing and now they design & build consumer electronics products. one thing i've noticed is our american and european workers seem to have a different intuitive understanding of some of these products that the chinese and indian workers dont seem to share, maybe because of earlier & greater exposure? i dont know

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Has anyone had any luck with controlling external media on Mac OS? I need to implement a policy of read-only for discs, USB drives, etc.
Bonus difficulty is that these are standalone and not on any network. The third party solutions I've found either require the system to be on a network (McAfee, Sophos) or can't be used because they were developed overseas.
It doesn't look like OS X Server has any policies relating to this, and any other hacks like removing the kernel extensions don't work on later releases.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i dont know if this has anything to do with it or not, but sometimes i think about how a decent number of my coworkers here in china grew up food insecure, cooking over scrap wood fires without real indoor plumbing and now they design & build consumer electronics products. one thing i've noticed is our american and european workers seem to have a different intuitive understanding of some of these products that the chinese and indian workers dont seem to share, maybe because of earlier & greater exposure? i dont know

amazing, and how long do you think this western advantage will last in the face of the rapid modernization of places like china and india?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

familiarity with cultural and social expectations that are hard to communicate effectively

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The Management posted:

my company still does this and i have to write customizations for clients on top

lately i've been giving up and entirely re-writing entire chunks of the codebase because it's easier / less stressful

:suicide:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the biggest reason for lovely code would probably be lack of proper communication, much like most other projects (this can be due to language barriers, time zone differences, etc)

technical skill is probably a factor but you can do a whole lot with average people if they can work together well

(then this begs the question of "what determines a high skill programmer")

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i've seen lovely code that you wouldn't believe

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

do people in programming actually do anything innovative or do they just stick stuff togethter???

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

do people in programming actually do anything innovative or do they just stick stuff togethter???

lol they just stick stuff together and feel smug about it cause they have brought more garbage full of bugs into the world than non programmers

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

rename source control to "landfill" imho

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

BONGHITZ posted:

it's actually super easy but the secret is it's so aggressively boring very few people can manage

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BONGHITZ posted:

programmers don't do anything, not in any meaningful sense

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BONGHITZ posted:

a programming project is like any other, basically:

- Know what you want to have at the end (your "scope" or "end-product")

- Know your constraints ( "can't use more than x amount of RAM", "Must be completed in four months", etc)

- Know what tools you have (libraries, etc)

- Know what resources you need to finish the project (manpower, time, etc)

- Actually do the gruntwork <----- this is where programmers come in

- Maintain the project so it doesn't fall outside of your constraints (budget, time, etc)

the gruntwork can show aspects of creativity, such as doing things in such a way as it reduces the amount of memory required/processing time/etc, but it's not necessarily true.

this is looking at a high level perspective though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

arguably, the gruntwork is the least critical part of that entire process

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

arguably, the gruntwork is the least critical part of that entire process

it is, don't tell programmers that they get uppity tho

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
without them nothing would get made though, wouldn't it?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

and nothing of value was lost

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

careful, too much of that thinking and you might end up with my company's 4 levels of management on a 6 person app development team, with one of the two actual gruntworkers soon getting a promotion to manager

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Raere posted:

Has anyone had any luck with controlling external media on Mac OS? I need to implement a policy of read-only for discs, USB drives, etc.
Bonus difficulty is that these are standalone and not on any network. The third party solutions I've found either require the system to be on a network (McAfee, Sophos) or can't be used because they were developed overseas.
It doesn't look like OS X Server has any policies relating to this, and any other hacks like removing the kernel extensions don't work on later releases.

superglue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dodoman posted:

without them nothing would get made though, wouldn't it?

sure, but specifically who does it is largely unimportant. a dozen guys doing work-a-day programming will do the job just fine. but no number of rockstar 10x code ninjas is going to save a poorly managed project from failure

so while programming needs to be done, the programmers themselves don't matter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

superglue

i believe epoxy is the preferred standard

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
alphabet just lapped apple for the most valuable us company

gosh who could have foreseen that tim's leadership was harming the business??

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Necc0 posted:

i've seen lovely code that you wouldn't believe

Today I found out that the "backout procedure" written by an on-site Indian guy we hired away from a consulting firm just silently truncates every history table and exits. Glad no one ever ran that and I have no idea how that got into production without anyone noticing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

because everyone else there is at least as bad as that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
until their saviour tori entered the scene

• Locked thread