Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah, if the FDA or no such similar body existed this would in fact be one of the things that would happen.

The other is sugar pills as far as the eye can see, placebos for all sorts of maladies.

People claim sticking rags on their feet purges the body of toxins and bracelets with rocks in them cure ailments by aligning chakras. It's not even about harm. People can trick themselves into thinking the stupidest poo poo works, and there's no reason to sue over that!

It actually is harmful. Extremely so, in fact; you can very easily Google up stories about sick people forgoing real treatments and instead sending money to mega churches or faith healers proclaiming they'll cure the disease with prayer. Here's a hint: it never works. The excuse then is "well they just didn't have enough faith and didn't send enough money." Snake oil stuff works about the same way and is why alt med stuff is so incredibly dangerous; your choices are die, get a really unpleasant treatment that might save your life, or go visit the homeopath that says he'll fix your problems and it won't even feel bad. No side effects!

A lot of people get conned into the last one and that's the problem. It doesn't work. There's no scientific basis for. It wasn't tested, it wasn't reviewed, and is just some guy saying "this will cure you. If it doesn't the problem is you."

That and you get people who are dying and desperate. Medicine can't cure everything and it admits it; it does the best it can but the human body is loving weird and also incredibly complex. The snake oil salesman just happens to have things that can cure everything but he can't tell you the secret because it's a secret!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think the libertarian anti-colonialism, at least jrod's, comes from it being governments that had colonies.

If Exxon-Mobil takes over half of Africa then eh whatever.

... Can I just mention the East India Company again here? Because it never gets old to see JRode ignore the fact that a privately owned company conquered a sub-continent all on its own without any government backing.

Or, hell, the Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie ( VoC ) which was the first multinational company in the world and which also conquered various territories in the name of maximizing shareholder profit.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TLM3101 posted:

Or, hell, the Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie ( VoC ) which was the first multinational company in the world

That's an interesting bit of economic history. My mind immediately went to the Medici bank as a counterexample, but I can see why that'd be treated more as a confederacy of individual banks than anything else.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

jrodefeld posted:

I've already addressed this but because you lack reading comprehension, I'll rephrase it.

If someone knowingly sells a medical product or service that they know is useless and they don't tell the consumer, they are committing fraud. This would be illegal in a libertarian society. If someone sells someone something that causes serious harm and the risks are not explained and consented to, they have committed a crime and should accept full liability for their actions.

People trying to sell poison as medicine would quickly and clearly be prosecuted and put out of business under a libertarian legal order.

However, alternative and experimental treatments and procedures where both the consumer and the provider are open and honest with each other (no fraud) and voluntarily consent to a transaction, they should be left alone. Regardless of your personal view of homeopathy and acupuncture, consumers are generally not harmed by either and the information about the efficacy or lack thereof is abundant enough for the consumer to make an informed decision about whether or not they should purchase the service or product offered.

How would you determine they were knowingly selling a product or service they know is useless with no FDA? The evidence would have to come from your advisory panels, right? They're the ones doing the clinical trials after all. Questions:
Is it mandatory to get approval from one of these?
Can anyone set themselves up as an advisory panel?
If one of their approved drugs was killing people, wouldn't they have a massive incentive to falsify future trials?
How are these panels funded? This is probably the most important one and unless you can answer it there's no way you can compare the likelyhood of corruption compared to a government agency.
Even if these panels were somehow honest, is there any reason someone can't market radium water as an 'experimental' or 'alternative' treatment?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TLM3101 posted:

... Can I just mention the East India Company again here? Because it never gets old to see JRode ignore the fact that a privately owned company conquered a sub-continent all on its own without any government backing.

Or, hell, the Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie ( VoC ) which was the first multinational company in the world and which also conquered various territories in the name of maximizing shareholder profit.

Well both of those were chartered by a government or something so therefore they don't count, clearly. Furthermore-*long, slow cabbage fart*

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It actually is harmful. Extremely so, in fact; you can very easily Google up stories about sick people forgoing real treatments and instead sending money to mega churches or faith healers proclaiming they'll cure the disease with prayer. Here's a hint: it never works. The excuse then is "well they just didn't have enough faith and didn't send enough money." Snake oil stuff works about the same way and is why alt med stuff is so incredibly dangerous; your choices are die, get a really unpleasant treatment that might save your life, or go visit the homeopath that says he'll fix your problems and it won't even feel bad. No side effects!

A lot of people get conned into the last one and that's the problem. It doesn't work. There's no scientific basis for. It wasn't tested, it wasn't reviewed, and is just some guy saying "this will cure you. If it doesn't the problem is you."

That and you get people who are dying and desperate. Medicine can't cure everything and it admits it; it does the best it can but the human body is loving weird and also incredibly complex. The snake oil salesman just happens to have things that can cure everything but he can't tell you the secret because it's a secret!

Thing is they won't sue for it because they're idiots. The entire system jrod proposed would only punish literal poisons, and do nothing to ensure the sugar pills masquerading as aspirin actually get taken off the market.

They're harmful in lieu of actual treatments, but not in a way where someone would peruse damages because the huckster's treatments didn't create harm on its own, merely fail to address the existing harm.

Thus the problem.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

TLM3101 posted:

Don't forget United Fruit! Banana Republics are called that for a reason.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well both of those were chartered by a government or something so therefore they don't count, clearly. Furthermore-*long, slow cabbage fart*

Is jrod advocating for the immediate revocation of all corporate charters? That'd be something to see. How do libertarians feel about limited liability?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

jrodefeld posted:

Are you familiar with Emmanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative? As an essential part of his formulation of just ethics is the principle that moral action must be an action that can be willed to be universal law. Universalizability thus became an essential component of any just ethical rule and, by extension, any just law.

From Wikipedia:

The existence of a State necessitates the rejection of Universalizability as the basis for just law. The existence and tolerance of a State in society requires the belief that some human beings be granted the right to seize the property of others yet those not in government do NOT have this right. To simplify this concept "I may steal but you may not". How can this be a sustainable and defensible standard for a just society?

lol you can't even spell Immanuel despite having copy/pasted fro the loving wikipedia page, jesus loving christ

also this is a gross misrepresentation of universalization. there are laws that those who have committed felonies should not own guns. there are laws that say those under a given age cannot give meaningful consent, and that you cannot legally gently caress people who cannot give meaningful consent. these laws delineate people into groups, because universalization is not about all people being the same, it's about being able to make the same decision in all similar circumstances.

i'm not reading any of the other posts, hopefully nobody else already made this point

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

what is the likelihood that jrode is in fact 19 years old and has just begun his philosophy 101 elective, and thinks he's stumped us by formulating the categorical imperative in a needlessly specific way?

i mean i guess he could be taking adult education night classes or something but still

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Muscle Tracer posted:

what is the likelihood that jrode is in fact 19 years old and has just begun his philosophy 101 elective, and thinks he's stumped us by formulating the categorical imperative in a needlessly specific way?

i mean i guess he could be taking adult education night classes or something but still

Jrod maintains that he is a cool and handsome adult. His actions paint him to be a scrawny, awkward early 20-something at best who probably still lives in the bedroom he grew up in.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Juffo-Wup posted:

Is jrod advocating for the immediate revocation of all corporate charters? That'd be something to see. How do libertarians feel about limited liability?

He's actually advocated that in the past, yeah. Only people can Act. Limited liability is a bad thing, any crime or aggression a company commits is the sole fault of the owner.

Hahaha just kidding, the individual employee who pulled the trigger is responsible, the boss who threatened to fire him if he didn't bares no responsibility, just like how a man who hires an assassin is totally blameless. If you're planning on suing the company that just Bhopal'ed your town, make sure you can definitively prove exactly which low-level drone is the one responsible, so you can try to extract your settlement from him and him alone!

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

lol you can't even spell Immanuel despite having copy/pasted fro the loving wikipedia page, jesus loving christ

also this is a gross misrepresentation of universalization. there are laws that those who have committed felonies should not own guns. there are laws that say those under a given age cannot give meaningful consent, and that you cannot legally gently caress people who cannot give meaningful consent. these laws delineate people into groups, because universalization is not about all people being the same, it's about being able to make the same decision in all similar circumstances.

i'm not reading any of the other posts, hopefully nobody else already made this point

Additionally, for Kant, the object of universalizability is a maxim, not an act, where a maxim is understood to be a two-part psychological entity consisting of an intention to act a certain way, and a reason for acting that way. The upshot here is that to criticise policy on Kantian grounds requires an analysis of the reasons for adopting that policy, which is anathema for libertarians.

Anyone who had actually read the second critique or the groundwork would be well aware that Kant sees the threat of punishment by an authority as essential to a properly functioning society.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jrodefeld posted:

This is an argument that is particularly insulting. I've been persuaded over the years of the correctness of the libertarian position and this fact means that all I do is "intellectually steal and copy from other people"? Everything I've ever written here are my own words

YOU'RE LYING

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

jrodefeld posted:

My point, had you been actually listening, was that the FDA is not above corruption and political pressure.

Unlike pharmaceutical companies who would test their own product and make bank if said product cured disease (in Libertopia). They meet the categorical imperative or something.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I still don't know why we should care about property rights.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nolanar posted:

We should definitely care about eradicating them.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nolanar posted:

Because Jrod said so with big words and cited men who also wrote words. Also Jrod is so handsome that he ignores everyone's posts.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Who What Now posted:

Absolutely. Because whatever you claim to support your policies will actually lead to a new age on conquistadores slaughtering and enslaving people in order to pillage natural resources. That is the world your ideology leads towards. You ignorant child.
Yeah, it's like the thing about how libertarians say "Just because we don't want the government to do a thing doesn't mean we don't want it to happen." They don't intend for the poor to die of starvation in the street, they just want to remove the things that are keeping that from happening while claiming (based on no evidence) that it'll magically make everything awesome because taxes are theft (they're not).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

Jrod maintains that he is a cool and handsome adult. His actions paint him to be a scrawny, awkward early 20-something at best who probably still lives in the bedroom he grew up in.

Also dollars to donuts says he smells awful.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Because Jrod said so with big words and cited men who also wrote words. Also Jrod is so handsome that he ignores everyone's posts.

Don't look directly at jrod or his posts for too long or you'll go blind.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh, dear, dear, dear Jrod. Of course you would double down on something that even has its own wikipedia page on it being bunk as the reason your scam treatment was totally the right idea you guyssssss :allears:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Juffo-Wup posted:

I seem to remember jrodefeld being opposed to limited liability, but it's been a while and I only ever read about 40% of his posts before my ant-like attention span demands my intellect elsewhere.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
The whole "chronic lyme disease revelation as justification for dangerous, unnecessary dental work" is making me suspect Jrod's not just a stupid rear end in a top hat, but also legit mentally ill (presuming he's not lying about the whole deal, of course, of which I'm not yet convinced). Why did it take me this long to come around, you might rightly ask? Well so far, he's mostly been posting stupid/evil bullshit that's largely theoretical nonsense that'll never come about, no matter how much he may claim to want it. The dental work and questionable disease diagnosis is the first example I can think of where he's done or said anything about his actual, personal life that comes across as being as loopy as the political nonsense he's constantly blathering on about.

I would also to support Who What Now's assertion, as I'm on record as having accused Jrod of neglecting his personal hygiene at least once already.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

I seem to remember jrodefeld being opposed to limited liability, but it's been a while and I only ever read about 40% of his posts before my ant-like attention span demands my intellect elsewhere.

But wouldn't that mean the end of capitalism? It's not a mistake that the emergence of joint-stock companies coincided with with the emergence of limited liability as a legal concept. The only alternatives to limited liability that have ever been tried are guild-based and collectivized economies.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Juffo-Wup posted:

But wouldn't that mean the end of capitalism? It's not a mistake that the emergence of joint-stock companies coincided with with the emergence of limited liability as a legal concept. The only alternatives to limited liability that have ever been tried are guild-based and collectivized economies.

LOL if you think "ever been tried" is something that an-caps care about.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Juffo-Wup posted:

It helps to remember they think market forces are literally magic that always work right if not hobbled by the evils of state intervention/existence.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The whole "chronic lyme disease revelation as justification for dangerous, unnecessary dental work" is making me suspect Jrod's not just a stupid rear end in a top hat, but also legit mentally ill (presuming he's not lying about the whole deal, of course, of which I'm not yet convinced). Why did it take me this long to come around, you might rightly ask? Well so far, he's mostly been posting stupid/evil bullshit that's largely theoretical nonsense that'll never come about, no matter how much he may claim to want it. The dental work and questionable disease diagnosis is the first example I can think of where he's done or said anything about his actual, personal life that comes across as being as loopy as the political nonsense he's constantly blathering on about.

I would also to support Who What Now's assertion, as I'm on record as having accused Jrod of neglecting his personal hygiene at least once already.

Anti-vaccination was my go to when I started to worry about him. Also when I started to hate him because gently caress people who are 'just asking questions' about the efficacy of life saving medication.

As an aside, this whole thing plus the FDA crap says a lot about his world view. Namely jrodefeld seems to believe in far reaching conspiracy theories where the sinister 'them', in this case the government, is literally killing millions by delaying effective treatment. This is 9/11 truther levels of nonsense.

By the way Jrod, did the government do 9/11?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Who What Now posted:

2) Any non-state institution is going to be vastly more susceptible to bribery and corruption than something like the FDA, and is thus inferior to a degree that they might as well be worthless.

Remember all of those sweet "AAA RATED" mortgage-backed securities that were really complete garbage but companies like S&P were paid big bucks to rate them high so they did?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

Oh, dear, dear, dear Jrod. Of course you would double down on something that even has its own wikipedia page on it being bunk as the reason your scam treatment was totally the right idea you guyssssss :allears:

Listen, you can't prove that he isn't a special snowflake that for really-real had "chronic" Lyme disease and that it wasn't cause by his fillings. Ergo ipso facto post hoc proctor hoc QED e pluribus unum *shits pants violently*

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Caros posted:

Anti-vaccination was my go to when I started to worry about him. Also when I started to hate him because gently caress people who are 'just asking questions' about the efficacy of life saving medication.

As an aside, this whole thing plus the FDA crap says a lot about his world view. Namely jrodefeld seems to believe in far reaching conspiracy theories where the sinister 'them', in this case the government, is literally killing millions by delaying effective treatment. This is 9/11 truther levels of nonsense.

By the way Jrod, did the government do 9/11?

Antivax and Chronic Lyme aren't signs of mental illness, they're signs of general stupidity. Stuff like chronic Lyme self-diagnosis tends to pop up when someone is in genuine physical pain and doctors can't figure out why. Then some website or charlatan dentist comes in and says "hey, I know why you're hurting, and I can fix it." That's an incredibly compelling pitch! It's also why nobody advocates prosecuting the "patients" in these situations: they're victims who were taken advantage of by scam artists. JRod doesn't belong in prison for getting his fillings drilled out, but I can't say the same about his dentist.

Really, the whole thing is an excellent argument for the same state apparatus he's trying to attack with it.

edit: I can't stress this enough though, stop armchair-diagnosing people with mental illness for disagreeing with you, even if they're JRod.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 2, 2016

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Close to zero. Maybe when he started but he's been at this a loooong time.

E:Pretty sure this is him, frex http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=12417071#post12417071

eNeMeE fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 2, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nolanar posted:

Antivax and Chronic Lyme aren't signs of mental illness, they're signs of general stupidity. Stuff like chronic Lyme self-diagnosis tends to pop up when someone is in genuine physical pain and doctors can't figure out why. Then some website or charlatan dentist comes in and says "hey, I know why you're hurting, and I can fix it." That's an incredibly compelling pitch! It's also why nobody advocates prosecuting the "patients" in these situations: they're victims who were taken advantage of by scam artists. JRod doesn't belong in prison for getting his fillings drilled out, but I can't say the same about his dentist.

Really, the whole thing is an excellent argument for the same state apparatus he's trying to attack with it.

edit: I can't stress this enough though, stop armchair-diagnosing people with mental illness for disagreeing with you, even if they're JRod.

I want to be clear I wasn't diagnosing him. I was just doing regular mockery.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I want to be clear I wasn't diagnosing him. I was just doing regular mockery.

Forgot to quote the right people. I'll fix it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Remember all of those sweet "AAA RATED" mortgage-backed securities that were really complete garbage but companies like S&P were paid big bucks to rate them high so they did?

It's a good thing the FDA doesn't rely on business from the drug manufacturers to make a profit.

Feel free to try to market a new drug without their approval though. See how far you get.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Juffo-Wup posted:

But wouldn't that mean the end of capitalism?

Sure, which is not in contradiction with their beliefs, which include the conceit that actually existing capitalism is "crony capitalism" and that "true capitalism," free from The State, would be much better somehow. The reality is that they're useful idiots for capitalism and so these implications don't matter so long as their conviction translates into legislation favorable to corporate interests.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
:eyepop: 220 new posts, the master returns

And still as stubborn a child as ever.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nolanar posted:

I disagree to some extent, if only because fool me once, shame on me, fool me seven thousand times shame on... Not gonna get fooled again.

The reason why I am concerned for jrod's mental state is the same reason I would be concerned if I walked into a room where every square inch of wall space was covered in wall clippings about the Illuminati.

Just upthread jrodefeld talked about how he believes the fda has led to millions of deaths as a result of holding back life saving treatment. He has in other threads talked about how vaccination is a scam to steal money with forced injections and so forth.

That is paranoia and we are jrodefeld's crazy newspaper clipping wall. This isn't a 'ha ha let's diminish mental illness' that was me admitting that I'm actually a little worried about a guy who would undergo not inexpensive dental treatment despite a preponderance of evidence pointing to its uselessness based in part on his irrational belief that the government is always wrong.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

While I agree generally, I think we've seen more than enough persistent denial of reality from Jrod, in extreme enough form, to raise an eyebrow and begin to suspect the boy ain't right in the head. I mean yeah, I've no professional capacity to diagnose, but he's borderlining Toblerone Triangular's "I ejaculate into my own bladder to preserve my essence" level of nonsense with this medical stuff.

Regardless, I trust we're all in agreement that he really should bathe more frequently, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm still wondering how he knows that Black Lives Matter, Occupy, and the Tea Party were all anarcho-capitalist movements that got hijacked by statist infiltrators.

• Locked thread