Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Perestroika posted:

Besides, isn't the usual response to a car approaching a checkpoint at high speed with no intent of stopping to open fire with everything available since it might be a suicide bomber? So under those ROEs, chances are that all occupants of the car would have been killed.

I can definitely confirm that. In general (and individual units vary slightly), the procedure is to wave them off and fire some warning shots before engaging, but the soldier on the spot is supposed to use their judgement; if the threat is coming on quickly you're allowed to skip steps because "your safety and the safety of your fellow soldiers is the highest priority."

When I was deployed, one of the turret gunners from our third platoon wound up engaging and killing the driver of a vehicle that was approaching his checkpoint without slowing down. It turned out that the guy was like 65+ years old and in America would have been considered legally blind, and he just didn't see the checkpoint because of the visibility conditions. Dude (the shooter) did the right thing, but still wound up ending someone's grandpa because grandpa had no idea he was doing anything dangerous or threatening SUPPORT ARE TROOOOPS KEEP EM FITIN'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OxySnake posted:

With any luck they saw The Big Short instead and came out with the exact opposite conclusions.

That they saw a good movie?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brennanite posted:

We've got a live one from the wilds, folks!

He ended with "Think of how much the government would save if they gave NO cell phones to anybody."

I'm the FCC involved in auditing the cell phone grant program.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As a Bernie Supporter, I am finding Bernie Supporters to be insufferable.
They are obsessed with this coin flip bullshit.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i wonder just how many are/were paulbots transplanting their conspiracy theories about THE MAN keeping their guy down onto bernie now

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
You know that Hillary supporters would by crying about it if Bernie had won by a coin toss.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i wonder just how many are/were paulbots transplanting their conspiracy theories about THE MAN keeping their guy down onto bernie now

Quite a lot, I'd imagine. The Bernie-or-stay-home crowd certainly aren't lifelong Democrats.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

You know that Hillary supporters would by crying about it if Bernie had won by a coin toss.
Regardless of the fact that Armyman25's stated opinions and mine (stated or not) are usually at odds, I have been following many liberals/progressives on Twitter; and the the animosity is increasingly demonstrable to the extent that this opinion, in the way he's stated it, is undoubtedly true.
The fracturing of the left is painful to watch (again) but I actually came into this knowing that coin-tosses are valid in some places and the statistics have their place.
Do 99 coin-flips and get 99 heads? You still have a 50/50 chance on the next coin-flip. It's not Vegas. Clinton didn't use weighted coins or whatever is the favorite conspiracy theory. Hell, no matter what I don't care about IA except that it is undoubtedly a statistical tie within the margin of error and we know that Santorum took IA in 2012 but it was after Romney had been "crowned." It's Iowa.

I'll not say anything else about stats, or probability, or who can win.

All those dumb words to say, "Had this 'flipped' the other way, Sanders would be the winner in IA and ... nothing much else except outrage from the other direction.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

And I'm sure if Bin Laden was killed under Bush, Democrats would totally pretend it didn't happen, so it's fine that Republicans have refused for years to acknowledge that Obama killed him. At least according to Republicans.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

And I'm sure if Bin Laden was killed under Bush, Democrats would totally pretend it didn't happen, so it's fine that Republicans have refused for years to acknowledge that Obama killed him. At least according to Republicans.

EVERYTHING bad happened under Obama. Durrrrr.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

Regardless of the fact that Armyman25's stated opinions and mine (stated or not) are usually at odds, I have been following many liberals/progressives on Twitter; and the the animosity is increasingly demonstrable to the extent that this opinion, in the way he's stated it, is undoubtedly true.
The fracturing of the left is painful to watch (again) but I actually came into this knowing that coin-tosses are valid in some places and the statistics have their place.
Do 99 coin-flips and get 99 heads? You still have a 50/50 chance on the next coin-flip. It's not Vegas. Clinton didn't use weighted coins or whatever is the favorite conspiracy theory. Hell, no matter what I don't care about IA except that it is undoubtedly a statistical tie within the margin of error and we know that Santorum took IA in 2012 but it was after Romney had been "crowned." It's Iowa.

I'll not say anything else about stats, or probability, or who can win.

All those dumb words to say, "Had this 'flipped' the other way, Sanders would be the winner in IA and ... nothing much else except outrage from the other direction.

You're actually giving that meme too much credit. There's no actual evidence for the "Hillary won six coin flips" claim right from the start, because officials not using the app had no requirement to report when a delegate was awarded due to a coin toss. In fact, the head of the IDP said Sanders won six out of seven.

Idran fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Whoa! Sanders won six out of seven? The odds of that are only 5%. Sounds like fraud to me!

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Obama didn't kill anyone. I doubt either he or Bush greatly influenced the intel work that led to the seal attack. Obama has a few foreign policy coups like the nuke treaty, but overall America doesn't have a very good grade for either of the past two presidencies.

I can understand the sports fan/low information voter mentality for giving Obama credit here, rhetorically or ironically. However, revenge killing is not a real life priority and Obama's particiption is basically being in the right place at the right time. Receive a phone call asking whether we should go ahead and kill bin Laden: not a brave or difficult decision.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The more nuanced decision was what to do with the body, perhaps, but also about how the raid would affect relations with other countries given issues of sovereignty. Those are both issues of statecraft, not tactics.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Moxie posted:

Obama didn't kill anyone. I doubt either he or Bush greatly influenced the intel work that led to the seal attack. Obama has a few foreign policy coups like the nuke treaty, but overall America doesn't have a very good grade for either of the past two presidencies.

I can understand the sports fan/low information voter mentality for giving Obama credit here, rhetorically or ironically. However, revenge killing is not a real life priority and Obama's particiption is basically being in the right place at the right time. Receive a phone call asking whether we should go ahead and kill bin Laden: not a brave or difficult decision.

If the raid had been an abysmal failure, leading to the death or capture of dozens of Navy Seals, it would definitely have been Obama's fault. No one would seriously entertain a claim that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and that he only Received a phone call.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yup, nothing is as politically safe as sending troops on a dangerous operation in a foreign country in your first term while constantly under political attacks from all sides. I'm sure if something had gone wrong, or the info that his own vp said was not solid enough for him had been wrong, everyone would have just laughed and given him a good old "nice try old chap, better luck next time".

nidrod
Jun 20, 2013
Hi I usually lurk here but this was too good to pass on.

http://imgur.com/Mr752Z3

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Man the Iowa Caucuses must have really riled my grandpa up, because he is on a roll. Yes, the end is cut off in the original post for extra hilarity.

Brennanite's Crazy Grandpa posted:

Conveniently Forgotten Facts.
Back in 1969 a group of Black Panthers decided that a fellow black
panther named Alex Rackley needed to die. Rackley was suspected of
disloyalty. Rackley was first tied to a chair. Once safely
immobilized, his friends tortured him for hours by, among other
things, pouring boiling water on him.
When they got tired of torturing Rackley, Black Panther member, Warren
Kimbro took Rackley outside and put a bullet in his head. Rackley's
body was later found floating in a river about 25 miles north of New
Haven, Connecticut.
Perhaps at this point you're curious as to what happened to these
Black Panthers?
In 1977, that's only eight years later, only one of the killers was still in jail.
The shooter, Warren Kimbro, managed to get a scholarship to Harvard
and became good friends with none other than Al Gore. He later became
an assistant dean at an Eastern Connecticut State College.
Isn't that something!!! As a '60s radical you can pump a bullet into someone's head and a few
years later, in the same state, you can become an assistant college dean!
Only in America!!!
Erica Huggins was the woman who served the Panthers by boiling the water for Mr. Rackley's torture .. Some years later Ms. Huggins was elected to a California School Board.
How in the world do you think these killers got off so easily? Maybe it was in some part due to the efforts of two people who came to the defense of the Panthers. These two people actually went so far as to shut down Yale University with demonstrations in defense of the accused Black Panthers during their trial. One of these people was none other than Bill Lan Lee. Mr. Lee, or Mr. Lan Lee, as the case may be, isn't a college dean. He isn't a member of a California School Board. He is now head of the United States Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, appointed by none other than Bill Clinton.
O.K., so who was the other Panther defender? Is this other notable Panther defender now a school board member? Is this other Panther apologist now an assistant college dean? No, neither!
The other Panther defender was, like Lee, a radical law student at Yale University at the time. She is now known as The "smartest woman in the world." She is none other than the former Democratic senator from the State of New York---- our former First Lady, and the Secretary of State, the incredible Hillary Rodham Clinton.
And now, as Paul Harvey said; "You know the rest of the story".
Pass this on!
This deserves the widest possible press. Remember this when she runs f

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Idran posted:

You're actually giving that meme too much credit. There's no actual evidence for the "Hillary won six coin flips" claim right from the start, because officials not using the app had no requirement to report when a delegate was awarded due to a coin toss. In fact, the head of the IDP said Sanders won six out of seven.
Actually, Idran, you've missed my point entirely.

I'm not disputing the statistics or even the legitimacy of coin-flips in the IA Caucus. The only thing I agreed with was this: If the general perception of the worst of Hillary voters was that Sanders won by pure chance then they'd be loving losing their poo poo. In that sense, I am confident it is the case.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Moxie posted:

I think it's pretty well established that the compound was under surveillance for a couple years. It was simulated and practiced many times on US soil before the attempt. The final decision to make the attempt (much like Carter and the hostages) was up to the POTUS.

In short, I believe you are not thinking this through very well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't some of the surveillance done under the guise of vaccination teams? Which now means that actual vaccination teams are being killed as suspected spies, hampering the eradication of polio?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bernie Bros can take solace in the fact that even if he won Iowa, he's still destined to lose overall since he's not even close for South Carolina or California.

I wish Democrats were as optimistic as Animal Nuz and were like "both candidates are GREAT!" instead of this infighting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moxie posted:

Obama's presidency would likely have been a lot better if Congress let him do anything. It's amazing that he got the watered down ACA that we got. Blaming everything on Obama is absurd; his presidency has largely been defined by a few Republican Senators sitting on the "off" button for the government for years and declaring that their primary goal was to sabotage Obama at all costs. We're looking at nearly a decade of deliberate Republican obstructionism paralyzing the federal government's ability to do much of anything.

Sorry but you can't pin this on Obama. He's far from the disaster that Bush was but had the audacity to commit the crime of getting elected while being a black Democrat.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm not disputing the statistics or even the legitimacy of coin-flips in the IA Caucus. The only thing I agreed with was this: If the general perception of the worst of Hillary voters was that Sanders won by pure chance then they'd be loving losing their poo poo. In that sense, I am confident it is the case.

Oh, okay, I see what you mean; I did miss your point, my mistake there.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

nidrod posted:

Hi I usually lurk here but this was too good to pass on.

http://imgur.com/Mr752Z3

That's actually kinda funny in a really dark way.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Bernie Sanders as VP- I'm guessing this would be an utterly pyrrhic victory for social democrats? I doubt he'd be able to do anything to steer the Hillary ship toward his policies- even if she'd do well take heed given his support.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JVNO posted:

Bernie Sanders as VP- I'm guessing this would be an utterly pyrrhic victory for social democrats? I doubt he'd be able to do anything to steer the Hillary ship toward his policies- even if she'd do well take heed given his support.
This would mostly be one fewer Progressive voices in the Senate. Not to mention that I doubt Hillary is going to choose someone from the Northeast as her VP.

I want her to choose McAuliffe just so she's really teabagging the Republican party when she wins. "Hey guys, look at what I beat you with!"

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think it's pretty well established that the compound was under surveillance for a couple years. It was simulated and practiced many times on US soil before the attempt. The final decision to make the attempt (much like Carter and the hostages) was up to the POTUS.

In short, I believe you are not thinking this through very well.

When, exactly, was that established?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Brennanite posted:

Man the Iowa Caucuses must have really riled my grandpa up, because he is on a roll. Yes, the end is cut off in the original post for extra hilarity.

This is super old because Bill Lee was head of United States Justice Department's Civil Rights Division from 1998-2001.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm not so sure. It's been pretty disappointing to see how whole hog some Bernie supporters have gone with GOP conspiracy theories about the Clintons. I think there would be bitching about the coin flips if the results had gone the other way, but not the same kind of rhetoric about being staffed by liars and cheats and committing fraud.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I just got an unironic "rigged in their favor" about tax breaks for poor people with children.

I'm trying really hard to be nice so I just replied with "I would think if it was rigged in their favor they wouldn't be poor anymore :)"

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
The response was "every society has poor people" which is such a non-answer I don't know what to say.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This:

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
I thought we'd already agreed to replace the Iowa coin flips with ritualized deathmatches?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

losonti tokash posted:

I thought we'd already agreed to replace the Iowa coin flips with ritualized deathmatches?

They couldn't come to an agreement on whether to go with Zandronum or Doomsday.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brennanite posted:

I'm genuinely curious, is this even a thing that there is even evidence to suggest they were involved? Or is it "black radical found dead in river, suspiciously shifty sheriff blames other blacks"?

Thanatosian posted:

This would mostly be one fewer Progressive voices in the Senate. Not to mention that I doubt Hillary is going to choose someone from the Northeast as her VP.

I want her to choose McAuliffe just so she's really teabagging the Republican party when she wins. "Hey guys, look at what I beat you with!"

She could get the same effect with Julian Castro, with the added benefit that Castro isn't loving despicable.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 3, 2016

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Now I really want to see Bernie tearing it up in Brutal Doom.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

I'm genuinely curious, is this even a thing that there is even evidence to suggest they were involved? Or is it "black radical found dead in river, suspiciously shifty sheriff blames other blacks"?

Alex Rackley was a member of the Panthers who was tortured and murdered by other members of the Panthers on suspicions of being an informant. Wikipedia has a rundown of it, not sure how good it is, though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"Left wing groups have criminal assholes too, news at 11."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You know how they should have decided that?