Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I wouldn't recommend Meacham to my worst enemy. Got 50 pages into his Jackson panegyric and couldn't stomach any more. Maybe he's learned to distance himself from his subjects since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
I've been going by whatever this guy suggests when picking up new Presidential bios: http://bestpresidentialbios.com/ - it's great getting the view of one single person who's (almost) literally read all the biographies, rather than sifting through multiple reviewers who probably have no where near the depth but like this or that particular book. He gets his hands on two or three to seven or more biographies, reads them cover to cover, then writes his synopsis of them. For instance, for George Washington, he's read the more obscure but still constantly quoted Flexner four volumn biography, and has read Ron Chernow's.

Another reason why I like his site that worked for me personally: like me, he read McCullough's Adams biography first and enjoyed it, but was felt needing more and that the journey was over a bit too quick. He next read Page Smith's two volume set, and highly enjoyed it and picks it as his top John Adams biography, even though it was written in the 60s. So I picked up the Page Smith box set when I saw it at the used book store. (My boxed set is the same one this blogger shows and whoever bound those books in the 60s should be shot.)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'd recommend A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre. It is about the most damaging spy in MI6's history and spans the 1930s up until the early 1960s. The author does excellent work presenting his research and framing the story through relationships between spies, their families, countries, and competing agencies like MI5 and MI6.

I learned a lot about how spy agencies were structured during the Cold War, and how British classism let a Soviet spy thrive for so long as his superiors refused to consider that they had been duped. Highly recommended.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I'd recommend A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre. It is about the most damaging spy in MI6's history and spans the 1930s up until the early 1960s. The author does excellent work presenting his research and framing the story through relationships between spies, their families, countries, and competing agencies like MI5 and MI6.

I learned a lot about how spy agencies were structured during the Cold War, and how British classism let a Soviet spy thrive for so long as his superiors refused to consider that they had been duped. Highly recommended.

This review makes it sound rubbish: http://www.amazon.com/review/RGSNUNFZ9F5G9

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

dublish posted:

I wouldn't recommend Meacham to my worst enemy. Got 50 pages into his Jackson panegyric and couldn't stomach any more. Maybe he's learned to distance himself from his subjects since then?

I just finished Thomas Jeffers: The Art of Power by Meacham and I thought it was pretty good. I haven't read anything else by Meacham so I can't compare it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Just finished The German War and hooo boy, is that ever a depressing read.

It's _really_ good, though; it's basically a longitudinal study of various "average" German's opinions towards the war and the Jews, with the subjects taken from people who survived at least into the middle war years AND who left multiple records (letters to home, diaries, in some cases, poetry or prose...). Naturally, those criteria limit the possible selection subjects, but Starhardt does a good job in making the argument that the people selected are reflective of wider societal beliefs. He also found some good material from Jewish victims who survived the whole war IN Germany or the occupied territories, and compares the German trains of thought against theirs.

It's a book that starts out grim and gets worse as it goes on, but it's very well-written and compelling.

smr fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 2, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you're into that sort of thing you may be interested in Soldaten, which is about analysing the transcripts of secretly-recorded conversations of German prisoners in British POW camps. It includes an extensive section on their expressed opinions of the Jews, the Nazis, and Hitler himself. (Spoilers; there are claimed Nazis who aren't sure about the Fuhrer's anti-Semitism, and claimed opponents of Naziism who say "mind you, the one thing they have got right is their Jewish policy...")

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!
Anybody know of any good books about the Sumerians? Reading about the Mycenaean palaces has gotten me interested in the period but after having a brief look, it doesn't seem like there is a great amount of literature... Can be non-specific about general ancient civilisations if that doesn't exist!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Behemuff posted:

Anybody know of any good books about the Sumerians? Reading about the Mycenaean palaces has gotten me interested in the period but after having a brief look, it doesn't seem like there is a great amount of literature... Can be non-specific about general ancient civilisations if that doesn't exist!

I read this recently http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babylon-Mesopotamia-Civilization-Paul-Kriwaczek/dp/1848871570 and it goes through the Sumerian cultures pretty thoroughly!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I asked in the main books megathread but didn't get any answers. I recent read The Longships and absolutely loved it. It was about a time period that I didn't know a ton about and it was fun to learn about it through a narrative instead of a straight up history book like I've been reading lately. I'd like to find some more books of similar quality set in other time periods. Any of the following would be cool: Carthage, ancient Greece, Mesopotamia, Inca (longshot I know), Roman period Britain or Europe in general (but outside of the direct influence of Rome).

Rome and Medieval Europe are OK but I'm a little overexposed on them right now. If there's some amazing novel set in those periods though I'd appreciate knowing about it.

edit: Guess I should say what genre I'm looking for too, huh? Preferably something with lots of adventure. I'm not so much into mysteries although if it's really good I'd give it a shot.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 15, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I always recommend Name of the Rose and Baudolino for Medieval stories. They're both about the intellectual culture of the Middle Ages and using that to illustrate meaning and knowledge. Name of the Rose is a mystery, while Baudolino is a comic adventure.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 15, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm looking for some books that get into late 20s to World War II US/Britain/Canada, in the way that there are so many in-depth books about Nazi and pre-Nazi Germany in the same time period. Along the lines of The Coming of the Third Reich and The Third Reich in Power by Richard Evans.

Books that only cover the 30s, or which continue into the World War II home front are ok too, but it just struck me that there's so much in-depth stuff about Nazi Germany, but not other countries.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

Lord Tywin posted:

I read this recently http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babylon-Mesopotamia-Civilization-Paul-Kriwaczek/dp/1848871570 and it goes through the Sumerian cultures pretty thoroughly!

Thanks! This looks ideal :)

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Anyone know any good book about the American revolutionary war?

Behemuff posted:

Thanks! This looks ideal :)
Np!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey everyone does anybody know of any books that are in the same vein as Lords of The Sky by Dan Hampton? Like telling history through individual stories, military history, and technical stuff?

Firelizard
Oct 11, 2013
I started reading Nixonland recently and have enjoyed it immensely. Can anybody here recommend me some authors comparable to Rick Perlstein for me to read after I'm done with his books on Nixon and Goldwater?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Firelizard posted:

I started reading Nixonland recently and have enjoyed it immensely. Can anybody here recommend me some authors comparable to Rick Perlstein for me to read after I'm done with his books on Nixon and Goldwater?
Perlstein seems to have that lane (the rise of Conservatism in the US 1950s-1980s, detailed with extensive analysis and tremendous use of primary sources) pretty much all to himself. Everything else is journalistic first-draft-of-history stuff, or focuses on particular people or events (lots of books on Nixon or Watergate, not many on how Nixon fits into the evolution of politics from Goldwater to Reagan).

One odd recommendation I can make is The Clothes Have No Emperor by Paul Slansky, which is a comedian's chronological account of the events of the Reagan administration and general US culture. You can get it from the dollar shelf used on Amazon, or free from the author: http://www.theclotheshavenoemperor.com/

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

FYI goon favorite The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 is on sale in Kindle edition for $2:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B1BL4E/

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Any recommendations for Native American history?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Any recommendations for Native American history?

Buried My Heart At Wounded Knee is a classic when it comes to talking specifically about the tribes west of the MIssissippi that faced the USA in the 19th century.

1491 is great for pre-columbian America in general.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Facing East from Indian Country is a pretty good book. I like it most for the way it lays out the problems inherent in trying to do a history that focuses on the natives and some of the ways to get around it. It does a good job of then taking the information we do have and painting a view of N. American tribes that focuses on them and their interactions with each other rather than on the point of contacts with Europeans.

It's also one of the few really readable books I can think of that deals with N. America in that way.

Aug 15, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

FYI goon favorite The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 is on sale in Kindle edition for $2:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B1BL4E/

Thanks for the tip!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Firelizard posted:

I loving love Pearlstein as well but I echo FMguru's point that it seems like he is the best.

However, it SEEEEEEEMS that academic historians loathe him. Is this true, actual historians in this thread (there are a few)?

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
I'm looking for books on the Yazidi, but I'm having trouble finding any besides their actual holy books; I'd like something on their history and culture. Basically anything y'all know about would be great, even if they're just a small focus of a greater work.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Does anybody have any recommendations on books about Popes or the Antipopes?

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Captain_Person posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations on books about Popes or the Antipopes?

I enjoyed Norwich's The Popes: A History. It's pretty easy to get through, but pretty shallow as it covers the whole history of the papacy.

kalthir fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 23, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kalthir posted:

I enjoyed Norwich's The Popes: A History. It's pretty easy to get through, but pretty shallow as it covers the whole history of the papacy.

Is that the one that's also sold as "Absolute Monarchs: A History of the Papacy" or did he do two different books on the papacy?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Does anyone have a good recommendation for the economic history of America in the early 19th century? I'd like to learn more about the national banks and the economic conditions without a central bank.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

fishmech posted:

Is that the one that's also sold as "Absolute Monarchs: A History of the Papacy" or did he do two different books on the papacy?

Looks like it's the same one.

Just finished Waterloo: The Aftermath, got it after seeing a recommendation here or in the milhist thread, I forget. Covers the period immediately before Waterloo, up to Napoleon's exile, with a focus on the reactions of the various actors (soldiers, politicians and the public on both sides). I really enjoyed it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

kalthir posted:

Looks like it's the same one.

Just finished Waterloo: The Aftermath, got it after seeing a recommendation here or in the milhist thread, I forget. Covers the period immediately before Waterloo, up to Napoleon's exile, with a focus on the reactions of the various actors (soldiers, politicians and the public on both sides). I really enjoyed it.

And if anyone is looking for more on Napoleon, Andrew Roberts's Napoleon: A Life is an interesting read.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I asked for a comprehensive book about the Yugoslav Wars a while ago, and I'm fairly sure there is no such thing.
Does anyone here know a decent book about any specific war, ideally Bosnia or Kosovo? Are there any good books about anything when it comes to the fall of Yugoslavia and the wars?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

cebrail posted:

I asked for a comprehensive book about the Yugoslav Wars a while ago, and I'm fairly sure there is no such thing.
Does anyone here know a decent book about any specific war, ideally Bosnia or Kosovo? Are there any good books about anything when it comes to the fall of Yugoslavia and the wars?

The Fall of Yugoslavia by Misha Glenny is supposed to be decent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fall-Yugoslavia-Misha-Glenny/dp/014026101X

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Looking for a recommendation for the best book surrounding the JFK assassination.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Dead Goon posted:

Looking for a recommendation for the best book surrounding the JFK assassination.

Vincent Bugliosi's Reclaiming History is exhaustive, highly detailed, and has absolutely no time for conspiracy theories. (Hence many of the one star reviews on Amazon)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Fighting Trousers posted:

Vincent Bugliosi's Reclaiming History is exhaustive, highly detailed, and has absolutely no time for conspiracy theories. (Hence many of the one star reviews on Amazon)

That sounds like the best, thank you. Conspiracies are fun but facts are funner!

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

cebrail posted:

As far as I know you are correct, there is no comprehensive single volume on the dissolution of the Former Yugoslavia.

Start here: http://www.amazon.com/Yugoslavia-Death-Nation-Laura-Silber/dp/0140262636/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=138ZRR5G1E0SMYKZCW0N

Follow that with the Glenny book recommended upthread. Then read Endgame, by David Rohde. By now, if you're using Amazon, you'll have all sorts of ways to go. Avoid Robert Kaplan.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My brother and I are going to Mexico/Guatemala at the end of the month to see all the Mayan Ruins. Anyone know of a good book on Mayan history I could read beforehand? Readability is way more important to me than dry facts, as I won't learn anything if I can't finish the book.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Anyone have a recommendation for pre-WW2 Japanese history (like 1900-1941)? Thinking about checking out The Rising Sun on the very first page of the thread but I'm interested in something with more prewar militarism/imperialism rather than WW2.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Megasabin posted:

My brother and I are going to Mexico/Guatemala at the end of the month to see all the Mayan Ruins. Anyone know of a good book on Mayan history I could read beforehand? Readability is way more important to me than dry facts, as I won't learn anything if I can't finish the book.

Oddly enough Diego de Landas account is pretty much a major cornerstone of understanding Mayan history and its pretty readable to boot. Just be aware that it is not all Mayan history and the author is a loving prick. If thats not really your thing I can check my shelf and give you some other recommendations.

As an aside if you get a chance in Tikal to head over the border to Belize check out Cahal Pech, I did some archeological excavations there last year and the town is literally right next to it. Its a pretty hot tourist town and they frequently run caving expeditions to the ATM caves which are really really really cool but im getting off topic.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So I picked up Frank Dikötter's Mao's Great Famine since it was on sale and I wasn't so familiar with the period.

The author's other books include something called Age of Openness: China before Mao. I'm no fan of Mao, but should I go in expecting bias?