Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I think they've sidestepped the 'poor people's tax monies are paying for middle class education' by including more forms of tertiary education than university, ie. apprenticeships.

It's not gonna work because I don't trust national to argue in good faith. Mind you, I don't trust labour to either. Well jacinda ardern probably would. I dunno....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fong posted:

Depends how they're getting the money to pay for it. They'll face that argument that free university uses poor people's tax money to educate people already at an advantage
Who is even going to make that argument?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Oh you :allears:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

an actual meaty policy lol, I'm shocked

Robertson hinted there'll be more to come for retraining
https://twitter.com/grantrobertson1/status/693729462462992384

Ghostlight posted:

It's the rightwing line already

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We live in such a strange country that a rightwing government who raised GST rather than high-income tax would use a leftwing argument like not taxing the poor to advantage the wealthy.

Strange in that somehow the leftwing fails to communicate this is what the rightwing is doing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What's the term for a left-wing with a spine, again?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I knew young labour ppl who used that argument too. I was quite surprised to see this, of all the major policy possibilities, to come out of Labour.

The argument isn't so dumb, like it is mostly middle class or rich people who go to university, though obviously not exclusively. But it ignores the fact that more tertiary education benefits everyone, not just the recipient of the education. Plus the other reasons given here.

Does anyone know if its three years absolutely or the equivalent of three years' full time study? Like could you take it over 5 years part time?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

We've never had one in this country, so no idea.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

bolsheviks?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

fong posted:

I knew young labour ppl who used that argument too. I was quite surprised to see this, of all the major policy possibilities, to come out of Labour.

The argument isn't so dumb, like it is mostly middle class or rich people who go to university, though obviously not exclusively. But it ignores the fact that more tertiary education benefits everyone, not just the recipient of the education. Plus the other reasons given here.

Does anyone know if its three years absolutely or the equivalent of three years' full time study? Like could you take it over 5 years part time?

Pretty sure the policy indicates it is three full years, so you could use it part time over however many years you choose?

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

We've never had one in this country, so no idea.

I dunno, Samuel Parnell meeting new immigrant workers at Port Nicholson and telling them they'd be thrown in the harbour if they worked more than 8 hour days demonstrates some spine?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Drowning the proletariat for working harder doesn't sound very left-wing to me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

According to the Herald, Key is to be blocked from the Te Tii Marae on Waitangi Day. According to Fairfax, the Kaumatua of the northern Iwi overturned the vote to ban him. He is simultaneously banned from, and welcomed on to the Marae, basically.

Katie Bradford has the numbers - at the hui where the decision was made, 38 voted to ban him, 14 voted to welcome him on. Ngapuhi elder Kingi Taurua is stating that the elders do not have the authority to overrule such a vote, especially when it's overwhelmingly towards one outcome.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 2, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vagabundo posted:

According to the Herald, Key is to be blocked from the Te Tii Marae on Waitangi Day. According to Fairfax, the Kaumatua of the northern Iwi overturned the vote to ban him. He is simultaneously banned from, and welcomed on to the Marae, basically.

Schrödinger's oval office

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My boss just came back from a holiday up north raging about the fact that it's no longer free to enter the treaty grounds, you now have to pay twenty five bucks.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Slavvy posted:

My boss just came back from a holiday up north raging about the fact that it's no longer free to enter the treaty grounds, you now have to pay twenty five bucks.

Is it? My dad got pissy about that a few years ago, but you used to be able to show your drivers license or library card or w/e and they'd let you in free.

e: it's now $15 for residents, valid for 2 days

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a bargain if you can land and park a plane there!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Ghostlight posted:

Steven Joyce, a couple of days ago.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They brought the entry fees back after the GFC because they said international visitor numbers were too low to rely on them to pay for upkeep.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Schrödinger's oval office

holy poo poo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/BreakfastonOne/status/694221960813764608

hm.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

a lesser percentage than that of someone earning more, because that's how tax rates work

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the waitress defender

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Are they suggesting they want poor people to pay less, and rich people to pay more?

Sounds like the pigs are gonna have to do some more doorknocking

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If the waitress is us and the student is your fat loving worthless self, you plutocratic sack of poo poo, then I'd happily say 'Enough to buy your noose and no more'.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
What are the odds the waitress is doing it part time to get through uni because the living costs/allowance is not enough to loving live on

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I guess it depends whether she is able to retain a job after exposing sexual harassment in her place of employment?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Taitale posted:

What are the odds the waitress is doing it part time to get through uni because the living costs/allowance is not enough to loving live on

I remember thinking retraining might be a good idea, then study link told me I'd get $150 a week and with that I'd be able to... Pay my rent.

Not eat, or do anything other than pay rent.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I remember thinking retraining might be a good idea, then study link told me I'd get $150 a week and with that I'd be able to... Pay my rent.

Not eat, or do anything other than pay rent.

That's pretty lucky. I'm a student with two dependant children. I get 220 per week. That's half the rent of a place big enough for 2 bedrooms in the auckland area.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Spiteski posted:

That's pretty lucky. I'm a student with two dependant children. I get 220 per week. That's half the rent of a place big enough for 2 bedrooms in the auckland area.

Is that living costs as opposed to allowance or with a partner or what?

I will be getting $250 when I start uni later this month in Christchurch.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Taitale posted:

Is that living costs as opposed to allowance or with a partner or what?

I will be getting $250 when I start uni later this month in Christchurch.

That's student allowance including accom supplement of 17 dollars. I can also get the family tax credit of 156 from the IRD but that's not directly related to studying, and most people I know of end up getting that at the end of the year.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Spiteski posted:

That's student allowance including accom supplement of 17 dollars. I can also get the family tax credit of 156 from the IRD but that's not directly related to studying, and most people I know of end up getting that at the end of the year.

That really sucks.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Are they suggesting they want poor people to pay less, and rich people to pay more?
That was essentially why I was so boondoggled earlier that this was the narrative they were going to go with.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Taitale posted:

That really sucks.

I'm extremely fortunate that my parents are both medium-high income earners and are willing to postpone their retirement 3-4 years in order to provide us with free accomodation.
If it weren't for them I literally would not be able to afford to educate myself.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Spiteski posted:

I'm extremely fortunate that my parents are both medium-high income earners and are willing to postpone their retirement 3-4 years in order to provide us with free accomodation.
If it weren't for them I literally would not be able to afford to educate myself.

Plus, your kids will have their grandparents on hand!

:( I kinda wish I'd been a better grandson.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fong posted:

They'll face that argument that free university uses poor people's tax money to educate people already at an advantage

lol took them a whole day before trotting it out

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I only want waitstaff taxes to fund people with zero chance of making more money than them, like theology majors and fine art students

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
As if some arts student is going to make more money than a waitress after graduation, pull the other one John!!

e: oh gently caress that was literally the joke above my post :argh:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

For serious,

a) Proportionally and actually less than a CEO's, this is how income tax works, as opposed to the Key-favoured GST where proportionally more of the waitress' taxes "will go" toward student debt. (Tax is not this granular Mr. Key)

b) It is important to enable the next generation access to better opportunities than you yourself had, because otherwise you end up in the exact kind of Social Security crisis we have been refusing to address where the old people are living longer, own more things, and yet still want a stipend from the improverished youth. How much of that waitress' taxes should go to a pensioner who is at the end of their productive life rather than starting it?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Holy gently caress John Key's reasoning is horrendous. Obviously it's to pander to dimwits who think it's a rational concern but anyone with any sense can see how ridiculous that is. If only someone would actually call him out..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

If no taxes should go towards paying for tertiary education, then I suggest that no taxes should go towards paying MP's rather high salaries either. After all, they're much better off financially than we are.

• Locked thread