Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

AugmentedVision posted:

All hard liquor tastes like poo poo and people deceive themselves into enjoying the taste in order to seem sophisticated. "Acquired taste", I'm pretty sure if you ate enough literal dog poo poo, you would acquire a taste for it, doesn't mean it's cool and good to do so.

grimcreaper posted:

This statement is obviously wrong.

Based on your statement, im going to assume you drink beer. Probably awful beer to boot. Good day, sir.

Let's be fair, a lot of scotch and whiskey snobs are going to say you need the burn and peat to measure a good drink. These people are biased and don't know what you like.

The best thing to do is to find a liquor shop that has tastings, and go to those. Failing that, get a bunch of friends together and do a weekly/monthly liquor tour, where everyone brings a bottle of something new.

Also, tangentially BEER CHAT.

So I don't like IPAs. They taste like soap or salad to me.

If I was to put together a cooler of beer for hockey and/or friends, this is what it would look like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

What pisses me off the most about this elitist diatribe is that this is a very old way of thinking. Both PC and console gaming have come a long way, and there are plenty of benefits to be had in both. I prefer PC by far, but still can't really understand the position he's arguing from here. The "PC vs Console" wars are referred to more ironically than anything else these days. He really thinks he's this champion come to save us all - to me he's more like a guy who was in stasis for 15 years and now that he's been woken up, he refuses to admit that time has marched on without him - clinging to his own glory days and insisting we all do it with him.

His carbonite hibernation sickness extends to every part of this travesty. The innovating "contextual use" key, crawling through vents, putting down a hologram of yourself, "stealthy stuff", unskippable immersion-breaking animations, motion-capture cutscenes, loving everything this tool is putting in his game has already been done by others, and far better. The ideas that worked stuck around, the ones that didn't faded away. Chris thinks he's inventing it all; it's all new and it's all awesome. It's only a matter of time before he discovers quicktime events.

He's referencing poo poo that happened more than 16 years ago. He's got the dementia and he thinks its 2001 and that SC is the second coming.

At this point I'm really not sure if Roberts is just scamming people. SC at this point resembles a text book con. Get people excited for an idea or something that doesn't exist and get them to pay money for it. I'm a pretty casual follower of the SC drama stuff but from reading up on it lately it seems like Roberts is selling gamer's delusional fantasies. We've seen throughout the years people harping about how they could do literally anything in a game but don't realize that tightening loose screws in your ship during combat isn't dramatic like star trek or something but actually tedious, frustrating, and boring. I honestly have not seen someone wax poetic about a game like this for years and years. Its like Molyneux all over again.

Beer chat: I greatly enjoy Innis and Gunn and Weihanstephaner Vitus. I like my beers to taste like bark from only the finest trees.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bootcha posted:

Let's be fair, a lot of scotch and whiskey snobs are going to say you need the burn and peat to measure a good drink. These people are biased and don't know what you like.

The best thing to do is to find a liquor shop that has tastings, and go to those. Failing that, get a bunch of friends together and do a weekly/monthly liquor tour, where everyone brings a bottle of something new.

If I was to put together a cooler of beer for hockey and/or friends, this is what it would look like:

Hoegaarden!!!! Finally someone else who appreciates that.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Darkpriest667 posted:

I only drink Vodka and cranberry juice now... I never did like whiskey or bourbon not even with coca cola.

1/2 Grey Goose (or any good vodka) and 1/2 white cranberry juice. Frozen cran instead of ice cubes. Enjoy.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it's going to a top down star citizen arcade game for xbox

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

How did they come up with the name Squadron 42? Was it like the speculation of how Lucas came up with "Order 66" in the RLM Star Wars reviews, except instead of choosing an evil number they chose a geeky number (and didn't slightly change it because it was too obvious)?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I don't drink beer but I spend a lot of time in Hoxton / Shoreditch in London so I'm constantly surrounded by people drinking weird craft beer. It drives me crazy.

As for cross platform gaming, it was done for Quake 3 on the Dreamcast. Groundbreaking stuff, CIG.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Bootcha posted:

Oh yeah wheat beers are pretty good.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Phi230 posted:

He's referencing poo poo that happened more than 16 years ago. He's got the dementia and he thinks its 2001 and that SC is the second coming.

At this point I'm really not sure if Roberts is just scamming people. SC at this point resembles a text book con. Get people excited for an idea or something that doesn't exist and get them to pay money for it. I'm a pretty casual follower of the SC drama stuff but from reading up on it lately it seems like Roberts is selling gamer's delusional fantasies. We've seen throughout the years people harping about how they could do literally anything in a game but don't realize that tightening loose screws in your ship during combat isn't dramatic like star trek or something but actually tedious, frustrating, and boring. I honestly have not seen someone wax poetic about a game like this for years and years. Its like Molyneux all over again.

Beer chat: I greatly enjoy Innis and Gunn and Weihanstephaner Vitus. I like my beers to taste like bark from only the finest trees.

Before Jumpgate: Evolution was shitcanned their forums looked a lot like CIG's. There's something about space games that makes the fans think anything and everything is possible.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

aleksendr posted:

1/2 Grey Goose (or any good vodka) and 1/2 white cranberry juice. Frozen cran instead of ice cubes. Enjoy.

Thanks friend I will do this next weekend!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mrking posted:

"IF they allow our community to openly interact across platforms with each other" - has any game ever done this? Cross platform interaction? I've heard people waxing poetic about it before, but never actually seen it happen in a real video game.

So many cpap machines at the next scifi convention.

oh tequila is good but I don't get it as much. My uncle turned me onto Heradura and we got some Milagro from costco that tastes pretty good and is not too expensive, but I don't know much apart from that. my dad gets the 100% agave Jose Cuervo which is good for shooting and margaritas, and tastes way better than Patron. recomend me some sipping tequila Fart Citizen thread

Herradura and Corralejo are good mass-marketed brands that are not expensive and should be easy to find and what most Mexicans actually drink (that is not cheap crap to get you real drunk real quick). Don Julio and other fancier brands are also good but I don't really think the price is justified. Try to avoid the ones that come in novelty bottles, some of them are really good but it's kind of a crapshot, to be honest.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Kramjacks posted:

The Final Fantasy MMOs, probly some other games too.

Never with shooters. The mouse beat all other input devices.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Some dubious paraphernalia there

also some nazi stuff I guess

He probably paid less for the Nazi stuff.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

aleksendr posted:

Never with shooters. The mouse beat all other input devices.

everything except the duck hunt laser pistol

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

c2usaf2004 posted:

Finally! Been at it all day trying to catch up on this thread. Lurking is tough! Greets all.

welcome commando o7

were you hooked on the platinum-only content?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

hanales posted:

Yeah I'm generally like this at single malts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVQET39hwsU
too be far if you don't drink a lot of scotch you shouldn't start with Laphroig or Lagvulin (which is what Ron Swanson famously drinks) they are very strong in peat flavor and I love that peaty scotch flavor but even I think they have too much. I do use it as liquid smoke when I do slow cooker pork shoulder though. :feelsgood:

fuzzknot posted:

BLASPHEME! I'm massively triggered. gently caress Maker's Mark.

Glenlivet is a good one, but it's not up there with Dalmore. :drool: Or Ancnoc. NOM.

Ask Bootcha about Glenlivet. :v:
:what: Maker's mark is the least offensive whiskey every. It's the ultimate gift whiskey when you don't know anything other than "he likes whiskey" not to expensive not to cheap. some people absolutely hate scotch, some people associate bourbon/tn whiskey with rotgut (it's not all rotgut).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rhubarb94 posted:

You can always rely on the colonials to lower the tone. Vodka is far to uncouth a drink to vomit the national anthem to.

Illegally distilled moonshine confiscated on the border is a true gentleman's drink*.

*burn it to test for contaminants, if it gives off black fumes do not drink it if you enjoy being able to see.
methanol does not give off black fumes

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

methanol does not give off black fumes

But contaminants might.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Aberlour a'bunadh, double wood, highland park 12, oban 14, old pulteney 17, Glenlivet nadurra NAS, yamazaki.

ok bye

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Darkpriest667 posted:

Oh yeah wheat beers are pretty good.

And the Belgian-Style ones often have cilantro coriander in them!

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Google Butt posted:

Aberlour a'bunadh, double wood, highland park 12, oban 14, old pulteney 17, Glenlivet nadurra NAS, yamazaki.

ok bye

HP 12 is my poo poo.
Balvenie Caribbean Cask owns

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Google Butt posted:

ok bye

I really have to try a panel of Japanese whiskys someday. I keep hearing they are unique and excellent but i never see them at affordable prices in Canada.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

40-Degree Day posted:

Have they said what the gameplay aspects of S42 are gonna be like? Or is it really just gonna be a movie?
You obviously know nothing about game development, gameplay is the last thing on the list.

FrankieGoes posted:

o/ seems more like heil hitlering than waving.
That would be \o

Lack of Gravitas posted:

o/ is someone waving to another person
o7 is someone saluting another milsperg pilot
o9 means nothing and is "wrong" and so is the choice you should always use
I see o9 as

G0RF posted:

I think Bootcha should take a different approach.

He should have the goons all singing their parts-- and download a bunch of Derek interviews online, then autotune Derek saying things like "I've said all these things in my blog", "The shitizens went after me because they know I'm right", "Let me fuckin' finish!", and whatnot.

It could be especially funny as a call and response. Like the goons say "But it will never ship", and Derek immediately blurts "That's what I have been saying all this time!"

It just seems more fitting that Derek would be marching to his own beat, talking non-stop in the midst of an otherwise unified chorus. I think it lets Derek stay Derek and that's to the good.
This is a great idea not least of all because if we're waiting for Derek it's going to be a matter of years, not months or weeks. This guy is CIGing us harder than Chris Roberts.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 3, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

aleksendr posted:

I really have to try a panel of Japanese whiskys someday. I keep hearing they are unique and excellent but i never see them at affordable prices in Canada.

Yamazaki is $60-70 good not $100 good btw

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bootcha posted:

The only place I know over here that sells something other than the typical watery trash you find everywhere is the coast guard exchange next to the unit I drill at. They dont have that particular Sierra Nevada, but they do have the Pale Ale and IPA (torpedo) that I like a lot. Most the stuff they have are actually IPAs, so I'm getting used to the strong bitter pine taste they have. I need to ask the guys at the thai restaurant where the gently caress they are getting their arrogant bastards from.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I had to drive back home, so this is late, but with regard to lemons vs limes it's definitely a matter of taste, and as with all things cooking you should always taste the ingredients you cook with unless it would be dangerous to do so, like raw meat.

I've found lemons to be slightly sweeter while limes have a much stronger but slightly harsher flavor. They really do taste quite different, but the nice thing is they're almost* always interchangeable because a lot of recipes add them for either their acidic properties or, in the case of guac, their ability to prevent oxidation. Both are fantastic as the acid in a marinade and both are great in a light whipped cream for added flavor, so which you use should come down to what you like.

Also, fun fact, pineapple juice also works as a fantastic acidic component of marinades. It's a 3-4 in acidity, while lemons and limes both range from 2 - 2.4 on the pH scale, but pineapple also has the added benefit of Bromelain, a type of protease, or an enzyme that breaks down proteins and tenderizes meat. If you use it this way, you must get fresh pineapple juice. Bromelain dies in the canning process. This is also why you can't eat too much raw pineapple or your mouth starts burning. It's the somewhat surprisingly low pH and bromelain. For awhile people thought honey tenderized meat too, but honey has too few enzymes in it, and any tenderizing effect it has can be chalked up to honey's hydrophilic nature and its high sugar content acting to pull moisture out of the meat. I still put it in my marinades because it tastes good, though, and it's the best sweetener you can put in a marinade, imo. :science:

*things like lemon cake or key lime pie are obviously things you should not switch them out in.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

40-Degree Day posted:

Have they said what the gameplay aspects of S42 are gonna be like? Or is it really just gonna be a movie?

Squadron 42 releases in 2017 to a captivated audience, opening their game for the first time to reveal a 90 minute shot-for-shot motion capture remake of Wing Commander (1999). They needed the 90 million dollars to secure Freddie Prinz Junior.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

and yes, I do watch an absolute shitton of Good Eats, how did you know

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The likely scenerio here is that one of the actual developers/engineers implements contextual actions or some other feature that has been a standard feature in video games for years. CR sees this and it blows his mind and he rushes off to announce this amazing new technological feature they've developed for Star Citizen despite the pleas from the engineers. Of course the people who are heavily invested in Star Citizen, emotionally and financially, swallow it all down with wide eyes brimming with excitement.

He strikes me as someone who hasn't played or looked at a pc or console game in 20 years. Everything I see from him, especially the videos of him at a keyboard or using a gamepad reinforces this impression.

mrking
May 27, 2006

caught_up_with_the_thread.gif only took me 6 hours of non stop page clicking. good thing i don't ahve a job

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd be more impressed if he picked up a copy of Borderlands and decided Star Citizen needs stylized cel-shaded graphics.
this would be too much color for croberts. he has a very specific art direction dream and that is beige into the end of the universe.

TTerrible posted:

Whiskey chat. I travel a lot for work and was convinced by a friend to pickup :siren: Talisker Darkstorm :siren: passing through duty free. It is awful. It tastes like sucking on charcoal.

I visited the Jameson distillery in Ireland with my other half last year but still prefer any cheap bourbon because I am a completely unsalvageable heathen. Apparently.

Please send it to me I love talisker and have wanted to try darkstorm since i saw it at the liquor store. :)

Bootcha posted:

I have to vouch for my favorite brand, the High West Distillery. Campfire, Son of Bourye, and American Prairie are great choices.
My brother buys the High West Peach and it tastes like everclear with canned peach and its disgusting and terrible and an only assume that what these taste like.

Google Butt posted:

ok bye
YAMAZAKI. if you like whiskey you owe it your self to pick this up. this and HIBIKI 12 are really really good.

Dusty Lens posted:

I guess it's technically possible with some titles like War Thunder and... PS2? I've not played PS2 much in the last year or two. I do remember playstation * icons being fairly common in War Thunder. If that's what you/he meant regarding communication.

Being said it sounds like he's talking about Star Citizen. While I'm willing to look at the idea of S42 being a console port with an air of humor the idea of SC being a console port (in a magical universe where everything works out) anytime int he next decade sounds pretty ludicrous. So I don't think cross platform communication is really going to be a thing. That's probably a holdover from the fictional days when co-op dropin was still on the table.
It's what I meant, and I think its what he meant. I mean if this game was split into three seperate servers nobody would actually notice since you can only have 16 people in the same instance but whatever.

MeLKoR posted:

You obviously know nothing about game development, gameplay is the last thing on the list.

That would be \o

I see o9 as

This is a great idea not least of all because if we're waiting for Derek it's going to be a matter of years, not months or weeks. This guy is CIGing us harder than Chris Roberts.
c u in the 'verse commando o8

mrking
May 27, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Yamazaki is $60-70 good not $100 good btw

this is probably true. i only ever had the japanese whiskys as birthday present.

Wu Jen
May 22, 2008

Wise man say he who stir shit wind up with smelly finger!

mrking posted:

"IF they allow our community to openly interact across platforms with each other" - has any game ever done this? Cross platform interaction? I've heard people waxing poetic about it before, but never actually seen it happen in a real video game.

So many cpap machines at the next scifi convention.

oh tequila is good but I don't get it as much. My uncle turned me onto Heradura and we got some Milagro from costco that tastes pretty good and is not too expensive, but I don't know much apart from that. my dad gets the 100% agave Jose Cuervo which is good for shooting and margaritas, and tastes way better than Patron. recomend me some sipping tequila Fart Citizen thread

Shadowrun, the really really bad one.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I believe the first Final Fantasy MMO did that as well? But then Microsoft specifically put in wording in their contracts to disallow online games that didn't work solely through xbox live.

I don't remember the specifics. I just remember that it was this weird outlier in that it was one of the very few console games that communicated cross-platform.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Isle of Jura, 40 year. That is all.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Randarkman posted:

How did they come up with the name Squadron 42? Was it like the speculation of how Lucas came up with "Order 66" in the RLM Star Wars reviews, except instead of choosing an evil number they chose a geeky number (and didn't slightly change it because it was too obvious)?

The 4th Stimpire, chapter 2

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Wu Jen posted:

Shadowrun, the really really bad one.

Mitch is pretty good about admitting it was terrible, at least!
(approx 1:45)

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

whiskey is gross

suck my spider rear end

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
a good inexpensive bourbon i discovered while i was in the usa last is elmer t. lee single barrel. check it out.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : We don't even give a gently caress about star citizen anymore, seriously, let's get drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Call me poo poo blender but I like Monkey Shoulder

• Locked thread