Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Tezzor is not pretending to be stupid and, even if he were, his hidden motivations are irrelevant. Insincerity is an excuse.

The fact is that he (like the others) is nothing more than what he has made himself to be, through the sum of his actions.

These actions include the great vulgar display of not-caring that he employed to distract from the truth of child abuse and slavery.

Tezzor is straightforwardly arguing that the truth is unimportant to him, which is the textbook definition of bullshit.

See this is actually a personal attack. Telling SMG that it is pompous gibberish and the reason I have him on ignore is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much what's been happening. You have yet to say a single thing in this thread that isn't random lashing out at people.

C'mon now, you're forgetting his huge effortpost about the rule of thirds that he had discovered 20 minutes before writing it. Also, his triumphant return with some video that was supposed to surefire convince us Star Wars is actually bad?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Desert (two different kinds), forest (like three),ice, lava, water.

What else do they have.

:gas:

Also city planet.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jakku is a less interesting Tattooine, and there are a hundred ways you could have kept it'S narrative importance without making it a less interesting re-thread of Tattooine.

- It could have been in space, a giant spaceship graveyard
- It could have been full of empty ruins, to show it's been picked to death and nothing remains
- It could have been any other kind of environment than a desert, really. Jungle, Savannah, tundra, arctic, whatever

Or, a desert that isn't sandy. That'd be a more interesting way to maintain visual continuity than just having the UAE stand in for Tunisia.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That and city planet.

They could do... Suburb planet? Planet that exists inside an interstellar life form?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Desert (two different kinds), forest (like three),ice, lava, water.

What else do they have.

City planet, temperate planet (naboo, alderaan), gas giant.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Isn't Jakku essentially a trash can?

It would have been more interesting to have it be a huge junkyard, mountains of teetering scrap and wrecked spaceships. Desert was safer, because Tatooine and *~practical effects~*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Serf posted:

C'mon now, you're forgetting his huge effortpost about the rule of thirds that he had discovered 20 minutes before writing it. Also, his triumphant return with some video that was supposed to surefire convince us Star Wars is actually bad?

Oh yeah, I'd actually forgotten that. So I take it back Tezzor, you showed effort in two entire posts.

Effectronica posted:

Or, a desert that isn't sandy. That'd be a more interesting way to maintain visual continuity than just having the UAE stand in for Tunisia.

:agreed:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

See this is actually a personal attack. Telling SMG that it is pompous gibberish and the reason I have him on ignore is not.

I'm really proud of how I keep earplugs in my ears and a blindfold over my eyes, because that keeps me away from having to view "pompous gibberish."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serf posted:

Oh my god I had forgotten his rule of thirds post.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Oh my god I had forgotten his rule of thirds post.

That feels like a month ago already. Its been like two days.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh yeah, I'd actually forgotten that. So I take it back Tezzor, you showed effort in two entire posts.

Please make another lengthy post in the Star Wars thread about anime.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Euphonious you're like Tarkin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Euphonious you're like Tarkin.

Handsome and authoritative?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yaws posted:

So now discussing influences on Star Wars and things that Star Wars influenced, and things that are thematically related to Star Wars, is out of bounds, because of your prejudices. I'm starting to get the feeling that your idea of a good discussion is saying "that was good" or "that was bad" or "that was really good".

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

That feels like a month ago already. Its been like two days.

This thread is like that one planet in Interstellar where time is distorted by proximity to the black hole.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yaws posted:

Ok, there's plenty to talk about because of how huge Star Wars is in popular culture. Anything in particular you want me to cover?

(I know you're making fun of me)

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Serf posted:

Yeah, I mean, that was pretty silly, making arguments by reference to evidence and fundamental principles of storytelling and cinematography. It would have been a lot easier to merely post my unsubstantiated headcanon about how Jar Jar is a secret metaphor for the fall of the Berlin wall, as this is at the reading level and does not require me to know a thing

Serf
May 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok, there's plenty to talk about because of how huge Star Wars is in popular culture. Anything in particular you want me to cover?

Your original post was interesting and informative. We could use more of that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anime is fine.

I think tho you'll admit sometimes goons overdo it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Compare and contrast the empire in LoGH with the empire in Star Wars

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cnut the Great posted:

I guess I find it a bit hard to understand her character. It's supposedly a defining aspect of her character that she prefers to be alone, but I thought the defining aspect of her character was her desire to be reunited with her family.

You can make a certain sort of sense out of it if you try, I guess. But it's muddled. I don't think it's strong writing. I don't think her desire to be alone is a core part of her identity as presented to us in the film.

She fears identifying with anyone else as family, besides her "real" family (the ones who blasted off into space and left her with Unkar Plott). Kylo Ren reads straight from her mind "you feel [Han Solo] is the father you never had". But even though Rey feels this way, she actually rejects the scenario that brings her closer to Han, working with him on the MF, because that would be traitorous to her "real" family.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nothing in particular. I'm interested in anime that is thematically linked to the Star Wars films.

This thread has devolved into mud-slinging, name calling and Cnut talking about crying while he masturbates. We need to get this thread back on track.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lol at you invoking the rule of thirds to demonstrate failures in cinematography! You're so embarrassingly wrong for reasons I do not elucidate! Lol! Shame! I am probably fooling somebody!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yaws posted:

The French comics one was very interesting! Contributing something for discussion is also interesting (including Tezzor's three-ish effortposts).

To contribute: I am comfortable believing that Jakku is a desert because of Tatooine (the saga naturally begins in a desert) and because of Takodana and Starkiller (lush, and a different wasteland, respectively). I think they could have made it more distinct (much as you could tell Geonosis from Tatooine), but TFA is not interested in novel locations the way that Lucas was, at least not in the overstuffed pilot. I am sure we'll see some new places in other movies.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
One gigantic influence on Star Wars:

Darth Vader is, in many ways, a blend of Jack Kirby's supervillain creations Darkseid and Doctor Doom. From Doom we have the hooded, cloaked figure in a mask. From Darkseid we have the villain as the father of the protagonists, a physically imposing figure who regularly kills his subordinates.

Doom is a representation of Death, a figure with a skeletal outer face that conceals a distorted and warped inner face. Representing the darker urges of the Fantastic Four, their ultimate opposite.

Darkseid is a representation of tyranny, the ultimate dictator, who is (in the original New Gods and Mister Miracle run) defeated by the fact that he, too, is human enough to love his children, even though they represent his opposite, and by the inability of his ideology to sustain itself outside of his controlled environment of Apokolips. Although physically imposing, this belies weakness.

From these characters, we get the basics of Vader, the Emperor, and the Empire.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Star Wars also takes a ton from Dune.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I like the giant worm monster in ESB, and the sarlaac in ROTJ is basically a worm just chillin'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homullus posted:

It would have been more interesting to have it be a huge junkyard, mountains of teetering scrap and wrecked spaceships. Desert was safer, because Tatooine and *~practical effects~*

Having the protagonists flee a world of trash would have been even more on the nose than "this will begin to make things right".

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm completely unfamiliar with that mythos and would be interested to hear more.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with that mythos and would be interested to hear more.

http://i.imgur.com/pelq5BB.webm
read the book

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's stuff like space magic, evil empire, savior who is trained in space magic.

Starts with "a new hope" (they move to arrakis), middle is their enemies "strike back", end is the "return of the" space magic guy to defeat the empire.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Aside from Turtlecrunch's cool post there, the biggest thing that jumps out to me is the whole concept of this special warrior order who use melee weapons and who can access some sort of special power

what paul can do with the weirding way is essentially the force

it's a hella cool and fun book

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The first dune novel is a classic and you can read it in a night.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also listen to this podcast series after you read dune. http://mythgard.org/academy/dune/

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

I'm only 200 pages into the book but it's compelling and super interesting world. Check it out. Desert planet, supernatural powers, awesome tech...just a cool read. 1965, too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

euphronius posted:

The first dune novel is a classic and you can read it in a night.

Just quoting this to make sure you read it Terrorist Fistbump. Fuckin essay on my desk on Monday.
Dune is great.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Having the protagonists flee a world of trash would have been even more on the nose than "this will begin to make things right".

Nice. And then still having two "good" characters let go of their old Star Wars memorabilia to embrace the new ...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm only 200 pages into the book but it's compelling and super interesting world. Check it out. Desert planet, supernatural powers, awesome tech...just a cool read. 1965, too.

Not only Desert Planet but Alderaan too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

DARPA posted:

Doesn't understand a young woman going to have a cry by herself in the woods, yet fully understands a young man slaughtering children. It's like MRA poetry.

I understand both. I just think one isn't as dramatically powerful as the other because of the comparatively weak way it evokes a character's inner emotional life.

I think, perhaps, it is you who does not...understand....things....and is an MRA person. Rather than I.

• Locked thread