Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Travolta and Vance promoting it on last night's Colbert and the show sounded interesting but I hadn't heard about it before, so I looked it up on IMDB and saw the first episode had a 9.9/10 which made me immediately DVR it.

Is this a Ryan Murphy joint? The "American Crime Story" part of the title made me think it was, but apparently he's not one of the creators but he is directing the first couple episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Murphy directed all the episodes but doesn't write anything.

zoux posted:

AV Club liked it too. The Cuba Gooding Jrenissaince is upon us!

Kind of crazy that they sent out 6 episodes for review.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So I guess I have to watch this thing then huh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, who here remembers getting mad because this poo poo was interrupting the NBA Finals?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

So, who here remembers getting mad because this poo poo was interrupting the NBA Finals?

Me and I also don't give two fucks about this or OJ or any of this crap. Even when I was living through it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There was an American Crime Story series last year on network too, right? Related and any good? Or am I confusing two series'?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't care about this at all but is it really getting THAT good of reviews?

I guess its a "DVR and leave on my DVR for months until I need the room and decide I'm never watching it."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

There was an American Crime Story series last year on network too, right? Related and any good? Or am I confusing two series'?

No, that was American Crime on ABC. Which is obviously a completely different show than American Crime Story.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

EL BROMANCE posted:

American Crime Story is a new anthology series, American Crime is an anthology series in its second season. They are different.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just wait til The Story of American Crime gets going on NBC.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw Travolta and Vance promoting it on last night's Colbert and the show sounded interesting but I hadn't heard about it before, so I looked it up on IMDB and saw the first episode had a 9.9/10 which made me immediately DVR it.

Is this a Ryan Murphy joint? The "American Crime Story" part of the title made me think it was, but apparently he's not one of the creators but he is directing the first couple episodes?

It is, seems to be a "spin-off" in the loosest sense possible. My guess is that each season of American Crime Story, if it's picked up for multiple seasons, will focus on a different high profile crime - Lacey Peterson, Jon Benet Ramsey, poo poo like that - much in the same way that each season of American Horror Story has a different focus.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

STAC Goat posted:

I guess its a "DVR and leave on my DVR for months until I need the room and decide I'm never watching it."

There's maybe one or two guys who popped off on it entirely. Everyone else is flipping their poo poo for it; the only thing that critics agree is less than good is that John Travolta chews the scenery too much as Robert Shapiro, and even then most of them are like "Whatever."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

American Crime season one was very good. Possibly one of the best network shows in years and about as close to cable quality as you're going to get from the networks these days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'll give them both a watch.

And wow, that X Files episode ruled. It was good already, but the cemetery scene was absolute gold and it never stopped. It felt like someone sat on a perfect parody of the show for years, and the stars aligned and it got made with the right people. Rhys Darby as fantastic as ever and great to see Kumail. That's gotta be a Top 10 ep, right?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

Just wait til The Story of American Crime gets going on NBC.

The Secret Life of the American Crime Story

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'll give them both a watch.

And wow, that X Files episode ruled. It was good already, but the cemetery scene was absolute gold and it never stopped. It felt like someone sat on a perfect parody of the show for years, and the stars aligned and it got made with the right people. Rhys Darby as fantastic as ever and great to see Kumail. That's gotta be a Top 10 ep, right?

I don't think parody is the right word, that episode revelled in everything that people love about the X files. That's how I like my Mulder. I love episodes that let Gillian Anderson break out of her normal dour Scully, I wonder if there is a character/actor combo more opposite than Scully/Anderson. Every time I see her out of character she's so warm and personable it's almost weird.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

raditts posted:

Season 11 is the best it's been since season 5, but you can honestly skip to season 11 and not miss a whole hell of a lot. Just a bunch of variations on "Sam/Dean sacrifice themselves to save Dean/Sam, every single supporting character except Crowley gets murdered along the way."

That's exactly what I did and I definitely don't feel like I missed anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

I don't think parody is the right word, that episode revelled in everything that people love about the X files.

I don't think there is any single word to describe the approach of the episode, really. It was intentionally hilarious in a way that felt like it wasn't the focus, despite every joke landing hard. It was like a dream episode that didn't suck, which is high praise as I haaaaaate that writing approach. Best way to write an episode for a comeback miniseries.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Lady Naga posted:

That's exactly what I did and I definitely don't feel like I missed anything.

You missed a handful of amazing meta episodes, but you can go back and watch those any time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

All you supposed TV nerds who responded to this didn't remember that there was a Michael Mann series in the 80s called Crime Story. Pathetic :sigh:

Also I was expecting the show to be called "The People vs. O.J.: If He Did It"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

McSpanky posted:

All you supposed TV nerds who responded to this didn't remember that there was a Michael Mann series in the 80s called Crime Story. Pathetic :sigh:

Also I was expecting the show to be called "The People vs. O.J.: If He Did It"

Clearly it wasn't patriotic enough to be worth remembering :911:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Manos del Sino posted:

You missed a handful of amazing meta episodes, but you can go back and watch those any time.

The TV episode is season six right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I was 12 and cared even less then about sports than I do now.

STAC Goat posted:

It is and that's probably what will happen here too, but goddamn look at that cast!

GreenNight posted:

Me and I also don't give two fucks about this or OJ or any of this crap. Even when I was living through it.

You are clearly forgetting Norm MacDonald's Weekend Update.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

The TV episode is season six right?

Depends on which TV episode you mean. Changing Channels was actually season 5, episode 8.

The French Mistake was S6 E15 though, yeah.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MacGyver is being rebooted on CBS.

Why CBS, why?!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Boy I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but I never liked Supernatural's meta episodes. They always seemed like such smug self-aggrandizing.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Lady Naga posted:

Boy I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but I never liked Supernatural's meta episodes. They always seemed like such smug self-aggrandizing.

To each their own, as long as you don't think the Lisa & Ben episodes are the best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Why CBS, why?!

Well? Who's Mac?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Manos del Sino posted:

To each their own, as long as you don't think the Lisa & Ben episodes are the best.

I don't even remember these characters.

Also to be fair I thought Changing Channels had some good jokes but the very first meta episode (about the movie shoot) was so terrible I just skipped the rest out of hand.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Why CBS, why?!

They saw the Netflix success and said "we can do that!"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm about to see Kirk's film

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

zoux posted:

Well? Who's Mac?

Hasn't been cast yet. Jared Padalecki filmed a Young MacGyver pilot way back in the day that was never picked up.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

blue squares posted:

I'm about to see Kirk's film

:downsbravo::downsbravo::downsbravo::downsbravo::downsbravo::downsbravo:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Where abouts have you go to now? I can't remember where Kirks Film happens season/episode wise.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have 3 episodes left in season 2

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm glad to hear the next episodes get a lot better, because I was not into that first X-Files episode at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lycus posted:

I'm glad to hear the next episodes get a lot better, because I was not into that first X-Files episode at all.

Night and day my friend.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lady Naga posted:

I don't even remember these characters.

Dean's on-again-off-again girlfriend and her son. They have the distinction of being the only recurring characters to leave the show in a non-death fashion.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

raditts posted:

Dean's on-again-off-again girlfriend and her son. They have the distinction of being the only recurring characters to leave the show in a non-death fashion.

Were they around for the first five seasons? I seriously don't remember them at all. Wait poo poo, is that the lady with the kid in the episode where all the kids are possessed by killers or whatever? And I think S5 ends with Dean at her house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, that one.

• Locked thread