Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which sister is best
This poll is closed.
sakura 11 6.96%
hinoka 21 13.29%
camilla 42 26.58%
elise 15 9.49%
im gay (in a nonironic sense) 69 43.67%
Total: 158 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
A
N
I
M
E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In exchange for killing the Crab Kings, I have received 20000g and a katana.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

surreal seinen shorts about depression and relationships

actually you broke up with him because he's a dbag,

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Handmaid's Tale is good, even though I hated it in the context of being forced to read it in Eng lit. I liked Oryx and Crake a lot more.

Also, Margaret Atwood is a really cool person.

I want to read more of her's, so maybe I'll read that next

the only other thing I've read of hers besides Handmaid's Tale was Oranges are Not the Only Fruit and that was good too

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I read 1984 on my own volition, outside of school

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
1984: The Anime.
Handmaid's Tail, the hit dystopian sequel to Fairy Tail.
Bureibu Shin Sekai, the light novel adaptation of Brave New World, featuring robot girls.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know what book I'm going to read next, I've been trying to start Swords & Deviltry but I just haven't had the energy at night to read, recently.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Droyer posted:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wish they made us read it though, instead they had us read some crappy YA novel...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have a lot of short story anthologies I should really get through, maybe I'll start one of those.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Droyer posted:

I read Brave New World on my own volition, outside of school

My brother had to read it for class, but I was bored and finished it before him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

I wish they made us read it though, instead they had us read some crappy YA novel...

Apparently Hunger Games is a dystopian novel.

I know nothing about the series except that it has archery?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hunger games seems stupid to me

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The Hunger Games are a competition where kids kill other kids for the entertainment of rich people.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

when Hunger Games came out I thought it was a dystopian world where they had cooking contests to see who'd survive and I'm disappointed it wasn't that

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

I say this, about the dystopian genre.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

people should just watch battle royale again

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Parallax posted:

I enjoyed it, it turns out a dystopian future that focuses on a woman's perspective is more terrifying, who'da thunk

i'm looking forward to it, just a shame that i lost my old copy. hearing about Core of the Sun is probably what reminded me to pick it back up, so i may just end up doing a sexist dystopia double feature.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

The Hunger Games are a competition where kids kill other kids for the entertainment of rich people.

Parallax posted:

when Hunger Games came out I thought it was a dystopian world where they had cooking contests to see who'd survive and I'm disappointed it wasn't that

Davincie posted:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Droyer posted:

Nerd

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

I was kind of surprised that a series about a bunch of working class kids organising an armed rebellion against a capitalistic system perpetuated by rich people who have said kids brutally kill each other for their entertainment got a big budget film series.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the only books I really enjoyed being forced to read at school were Blindness and Fifth Business. Fifth Business especially. It was a really engaging book and I actually bought it so I could reread it several times.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I was kind of surprised that a series about a bunch of working class kids organising an armed rebellion against a capitalistic system perpetuated by rich people who have said kids brutally kill each other for their entertainment got a big budget film series.

people don't give a gently caress

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I think the only books I really enjoyed being forced to read at school were Blindness and Fifth Business. Fifth Business especially. It was a really engaging book and I actually bought it so I could reread it several times.

you read saramago for school?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
As far as I knew I was the only one of my friends who enjoyed having to read The Great Gatsby

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Everyone should read Orwell's Homage to Catalonia, and also everything Ursula Le Guin has ever written.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

you read saramago for school?

Yeah, can't remember if it was 11th or 12th grade though.

Fifth Business was 12th grade, I remember that much.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Everyone should read Orwell's Homage to Catalonia, and also everything Ursula Le Guin has ever written.

all good books and im still convinced jk rowling ripped off earthsea

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think i would have felt better about harry potter if it had actually ended, and also stayed a relatively self-contained thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Davincie posted:

people should just watch battle royale again
that's old and has old people in it, hunger games is for kids like me

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Dispossessed is really good and everyone should read it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i think i would have felt better about harry potter if it had actually ended, and also stayed a relatively self-contained thing.

it isn't?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
escape from anime LA

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

it isn't?

There are like two spin-off textbook-style books, and they're making a movie about the fantastical beasts one.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

There are like two spin-off textbook-style books, and they're making a movie about the fantastical beasts one.

there's also a stage play about adult Harry which sounds dreadful

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dangerous Person posted:

Read The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and have a full report ready for me please

I read that and also the later 3 Smiley books. They're really really good.

I watched teh (and loved) Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy film with Gary Oldman and so read that one first, then Spy Who Came In, then the last two Smiley books. I had a bit of a hard time getting into The Honorable Schoolboy at first, but loved it by the end. And Smiley's people was nothing like what i thought it was going to be since i stumbled over some spoilers long before i actually read it.

I haven't read any of his others, or any other spy books either (except Legacy of Ashes)

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Strange Quark posted:

They're making two movies out of that one.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Reds posted:

They're making two movies out of that one.

what the heck

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

The two spin-offs were ages ago. Like, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages. They came out before the series was even finished.

There was also a third one. That came out after the series ended.

The first two were about the magic creatures and Quidditch, the third was a bunch of story tales from the setting I think? Including the one about the Hallows? I didn't read the third one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Strange Quark posted:

what the heck

I'm fairly sure the book is pretty short too.

• Locked thread