Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ComicsAlliance has been running a lot of these "Is [popular thing] Actually Good?" articles lately. Some of them are good but it's mostly just clickbait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

quote:

Phantom Blood establishes a lot of what I think is bad or ugly or (I know this is a strong word. I’m using it on purpose) repellent about the series as a whole. [...] Hyperstylised clothing, that’s ignored by normal-looking people and never acknowledged by those wearing it?

The illustration in Phantom Blood is… ridiculous. It created a confusing dissonance for me, which the clothing does throughout, honestly, and maybe that’s at the base of my opinion that Araki’s storytelling is without any sort of emotional integrity, or maybe it’s just a symptom.

So the fashion clothing is so bad that maybe it voids Araki's emotional integry as a storyteller

Do I have to read more of this because I'm pretty bewildered already

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm willing to hear them out for at least one more part since Part 1 doesn't have a lot of what makes JoJo great.

What makes the article bad and not worth reading ISN'T that they don't like PB or JoJo as a whole. It's that they make basically no effort to analyze or communicate why they think it's bad. It's just two people basically in a feedback loop of "PB is sooo bad you guys" without having any thesis or ability to tie their examples to a larger critique.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

hoobajoo posted:

The biggest failing is I still don't understand why they don't like it overall. Their concrete points, as far as I gathered, was that it looked like HnK, Araki's early art is rough, and no female agency. These are all true, but none of them seem to be the focus of any argument, and it just comes across as 90% being angry for the sake of it.

Most of it's just bad writing, but their complaint about Dio kissing Erina made me legit rustled. Either they're calling Araki a coward for not showing graphic rape, or they are saying people sexually assaulted but not penetrated aren't really raped. It's loving gross and insane either way.
Yeah, the whole piece was just a lot of weird, unfocused anger. The complaint about the series being filled with references to other things was especially weird to me--personal opinion and all, but I find that that's part of its appeal? Also, I'm really not understanding how the unacknowledged strange fashion is a problem. Not that I'm defending them, because this is a pretty dumb clickbait-y review, but I think the complaint about Erina is that the scene is treated as a rape but that the subtext is that Erina ought to feel like some kind of fallen woman for it and that the assault provides motivation for Jonathan to fight Dio. Which, well, okay: that is actually a tired old trope, but I feel like describing that particular scene in that way isn't completely faithful to how it (and Jonathan and Erina's relationship more broadly) is presented in-comic, and I think it's a little unfair to hold a dude to sexist things he published in a boys' comics magazine in the 80s. (Though the newer stuff is for sure fair game and I've already said words about it in this thread iirc.) And in any case, the reviewers don't actually do anything meaningful with that observation.

The thing that really bugged me was the way they discussed the universe reboot as if Araki wanted to throw out the previous six parts and that reading all of it is a waste of time. I really like reviews that are actual expressions of writers' opinions and personal reactions to things, but they never go beyond that superficial anger and bewilderment.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Claire literally only dislikes it because she had quote headcanons unquote about what the series was like and she's upset its different.

She literally explains this in her introduction and everything afterwards feels weird specifically because it's her backfilling an argument to justify her opinion. It's Bad Faith Criticism in the purest sense.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

mr. stefan posted:

Claire literally only dislikes it because she had quote headcanons unquote about what the series was like and she's upset its different.

She literally explains this in her introduction and everything afterwards feels weird specifically because it's her backfilling an argument to justify her opinion. It's Bad Faith Criticism in the purest sense.
Yeah, that was weird too, because she says, "whacko poses and over-elaborate buckling ... muscle men with cute baby faces ... fashion, glam, gendersomething" and that's not really "headcanon" so much as "a vague but pretty accurate description of JJBA" sooooooo I'm not sure what she actually wanted.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

From the article:

quote:

Ye Olde JoJo’s girlfriend gets kissed by Dio, and I found it so insulting, the way that kiss was used was like a rape. The composition of the story, the characters reactions, created a structure of response identical to those following rape in fiction; when rape is used to motivate the men around and despite the female victim of it. Dio kisses Erina before JoJo can, which makes her feel sullied, which makes her reject JoJo — Dio tortures JoJo via the molestation of his sweet pretty girlfriend.

I felt that it was so lazy and disingenuous for JJBA to use this archetypal rape plot, without even admitting that it was one

What they seem to be saying is the kiss scene was somehow not really rape (it was) and Araki wasn't admitting it was rape, even when every aspect of the story treats it like one. I agree it's a lazy way of developing a character, and if it turns you off of JoJo, that's fair enough. But saying Araki presented Dio as doing anything other than rape in that scene is insane. And if their problem is instead Erina being physically forced to kiss someone isn't "really" rape, that's 100x more disgusting than Araki at his most sexist.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 2, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It also completely omits Erina's reaction to it, which is to shut down Dio pretty good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's why Phantom Blood glosses over and doesn't get too deeply into the connotations and ramifications of Dio kissing Erina.

"Hey, Shonen Jump, I'm gonna write a story about the ramifications of a child raping another child, it's also going to buck the common trend of what's popular now by having western characters and the protagonist is going to die at the end. All in all, this is going to be extremely controversial and not worth the aggro"
"Um..."
"Yeah, so JoJo is cancelled? Right, gotcha."

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Have you ever seen someone who missed the whole point of a series this badly...?

Like if it's not to your taste, that's fine, but i've never seen The Point fly over someone's head so high that it went into orbit.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It also completely omits Erina's reaction to it, which is to shut down Dio pretty good.

Erina's reaction is the best part of that scene. Good on Araki for at least understanding how a Victorian era girl raised to be a "lady" would throw shade at someone.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Also from what I read (gently caress reading that whole thing) they just ignore the fact that part one came out 30 years ago, so a lot of the stuff was "in style". Like the Erina stuff might be a problem for them, yes, but that whole style of situation was pretty common back then and wasn't thought of in the same way as it is today.

What I'm saying is that their opinions are bad.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Claire's got so much edge that even DIO's like take a chill pill.

I don't know what I liked more, complaining that part 1 doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the series (who cares) or that it isn't good because they didn't do anything new with the ripple like other parts did. You know, the part that introduced it.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Saying Phantom Blood has nothing to do with the rest of the series assumes that parts 2 through 6 aren't a part of the series

I mean I guess if you want to jump from PB to Steel Ball Run that's your call but I can't recommend it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I feel like we've already given this article too much attention.

Not gonna demand we switch gears here, but I'd recommend it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope that when they dub Part 4, they give Tonio the fuckin' worst Italian accent. Take me to the heights of Bryce's Caesar.

And just wait until Part 5.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I sincerely hope for Part 5 they either drop the accents for raise their game massively, Caesar's accent alone is enough for me not to watch the Part 2 dub

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cheesy accents just feel right for Jojo.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone have HD pictures for the Tarot card art from the anime? I'm specifically looking for the one for the Star, though the others would be nice too.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I hope the American dub is in Italian

e: With American accents

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I hope Tonio has a Brooklyn accent. Or maybe French and none of the characters understand how off that is.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i probably won't watch the dubs ever, so if they want to do lovely accents i guess that's okay. but the accents are still bad and/or hokey, like when they had people put them on for Baccano.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The test dub for part 3 was awesome. Then the new voice director told everyone to do an accent for part 1 and 2. Oops.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Actually, the accents are Good

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

One last thing about the last topic while moving past the comics alliance article. I feel I'm super biased on Jojo and it was interesting to see outsiders discuss it since I've been living in a echo chamber (this thread) for years , I was wondering if anyone had come across similar but more critical reviews of the Parts of the series that don't end up getting hooked on the series.

Like maybe someone reading Rohan goes to the Louvre without any experience with Araki or Jojo, that would be heaven for me right now.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Closest I can do for you is type out my friends' reactions since I got most of them to hop on the Jojo train in the past year.

I don't think that's quite what you're looking for though

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hello fellow people that like things, do you have anyone that does not like things

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 3, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

dogsicle posted:

like when they had people put them on for Baccano.
excuse you the Baccano dub was extremely good.

I don't remember the Part 3 dub very well except Jotaro was literally perfect.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i know several people who have dropped JoJo because of the female characters. don't have a really in-depth version of their criticism, but i do think it's valid and don't push them on it. even if Part 6 might be the singular arc they could enjoy.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sinners Sandwich posted:

One last thing about the last topic while moving past the comics alliance article. I feel I'm super biased on Jojo and it was interesting to see outsiders discuss it since I've been living in a echo chamber (this thread) for years , I was wondering if anyone had come across similar but more critical reviews of the Parts of the series that don't end up getting hooked on the series.

Like maybe someone reading Rohan goes to the Louvre without any experience with Araki or Jojo, that would be heaven for me right now.

I actually showed an older friend Rohan at the Louvre and he really liked the horror parts and how it was basically a ghost story and he also really liked the framing of the panels and the attention to detail. After I told him about Rohan being a big rear end in a top hat but also a sort of self-insert, he said it reminded him of another author who also had an rear end in a top hat self-insert character, but I forget the name of him at the moment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's my reaction to anyone whose life doesn't revolve around JoJo at all times

*small popping fart*

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

So the same as every other post you've made in the thread?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Turn your monitor on!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

drat, son.

I will take it to mean my dissenting opinions are truly noticeable and have impact.
Thank you Seafood.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

BaDandy posted:

I actually showed an older friend Rohan at the Louvre and he really liked the horror parts and how it was basically a ghost story and he also really liked the framing of the panels and the attention to detail.

I've been able to sell people on Rohan at the Louvre when they hate everything else about JoJo. It can stand on its own very well as a horror story, I think.

I also confess: I've told a couple people I've spoken to about picking up to JoJo to start with something other than Part I and I'll defend my decision there no matter what a purist says. I quite honestly think I wouldn't have been the least bit interested in sticking with it had I started with Pt I myself. I'm not saying I dislike it (though it's certainly my least favorite part) but what I like about it is heightened by my enjoyment of subsequent parts.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it's probably easier to get somebody to read a part other than 1, since a bunch have their own unique hooks that sell well to specific people. however the anime can also be good, since part 1 is pretty short and committing to a 20ish episode show isn't too hard.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

drat, son.

I will take it to mean my dissenting opinions are truly noticeable and have impact.
Thank you Seafood.
I am the Rohan to your Josuke.

I give you a bad time but I'll totally have your back when some guy in a hospital bed somewhere is trying to drain your energy over a great distance. Or something.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Bad Seafood posted:

I am the Rohan to your Josuke.

I give you a bad time but I'll totally have your back when some guy in a hospital bed somewhere is trying to drain your energy over a great distance. Or something.
Will you steal oysters with me

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You need but ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I want to see what those critics think of Italian Food. Will the Jojo hater like it? Probably not, but maybe the reason will be interesting! (I also want to read their reaction to Highway Star's motorcycle scene because it's my favorite singular moment from Part 4 but I suspect it will be ignored in favor of the Speed comparison.)