Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also the three best things you could do to the car are a new suspension, an LSD and a short shifter.

I'm assuming you mean after flushing all the fluids and probably getting an alignment.

I'm rapidly approaching the point of "never trust BMW POs, or their shops/dealers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
On that very topic, a friend had a PPI done on a 135i today.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Crustashio posted:

And this is why PPIs are worth the money.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crustashio posted:

:lol:

I was gonna ask if a PPI would be recommended.

Kind of interested in this car and this car. Gonna try to test drive the only local one tomorrow to see how I like it. 2013 DCT car so it's not one I'd actually buy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Isn't wastegate rattle still covered under warranty?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When does the new 1-Series 4-door launch in the US?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Never. The old 1er hatch never made it to the US. Apparently there's not enough market for it.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Crustashio posted:

Yikes! On the 335 I just bought I had a PPI done at the local BMW dealer who had also sold it as a CPO and serviced the car for it's entire life. Luckily everything came back clean except for bent/curb rashed wheels which I had fixed by the place I bought it from.

All that to say, would always recommend a PPI.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Drove that 135i today. It was fun, but I just feel so detached when driving an auto. Definitely still interested, gonna have to get my hands on a manual. Doing a little more research, there's a JB4 tune for all the model years, so that concern looks like it's out the window.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What year was it? I'd never get the actual auto but the DCT is pretty fun. if I had to do it all over again, I'd go for a manual though. I just really like the sound the car makes when shifting with the DCT. In normal mode it sounds pretty awesome. In sport mode, it shifts so fast the engine can't get the revs down fast enough so the transmission drags it down and makes a kind of grunting noise.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

What year was it? I'd never get the actual auto but the DCT is pretty fun. if I had to do it all over again, I'd go for a manual though. I just really like the sound the car makes when shifting with the DCT. In normal mode it sounds pretty awesome. In sport mode, it shifts so fast the engine can't get the revs down fast enough so the transmission drags it down and makes a kind of grunting noise.

It was a 2012, so it had the DCT. I'm sure it's something I could get used to, but it always feels weird to me to drive an auto in a performance oriented car.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Cojawfee posted:

DCT was only in US market for 135is and 335is. Regular 135 and 335 did NOT arrive with the DCT. In other countries DCT was an option. :)

[EDIT] 135i had DCT as an option starting in 2011.

jink fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 5, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have a 2011 135i and I have a DCT sooo

Edit: 2011+ auto 135i all have DCT.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jink posted:

DCT was only in US market for 135is and 335is. Regular 135 and 335 did NOT arrive with the DCT. In other countries DCT was an option. :)

I'm pretty sure the 135i got the DCT in the 2010 or 2011 model year in the US.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Never. The old 1er hatch never made it to the US. Apparently there's not enough market for it.

Not the hatch, they're bringing a compact sedan to compete with the A3, ILX and whatever else.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't wastegate rattle still covered under warranty?

Yes but I think it's only 8 years/82000 miles, so early model N54 cars are likely out of warranty at this point. This car was about 90k.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I took the F80 to the track last weekend and cranked out a 1:57.38 best lap at TWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMn0MXt07CA

Stock, except for the R888 rubber and Pagid RSL pads. That's pretty serious speed for a car I also use every day to take the kids to daycare in.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Not the hatch, they're bringing a compact sedan to compete with the A3, ILX and whatever else.

I love the "compact" part of that. When I stop at my local dealer to pick up parts, I park my E46 compact and have to walk past an M2, aka a 1 series coupe, that's slightly bigger in every way.

Presumably the new "compact" sedan will basically be an e90 and weigh 1500+kg.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

fknlo posted:

I'm pretty sure the 135i got the DCT in the 2010 or 2011 model year in the US.

I stand corrected, the 135i was available with DCT starting in 2011. The 335i was not available with DCT; it required the 335is. Didn't know the 135i could get the DCT... fantastic transmission and I love mine! :)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Saga posted:

I love the "compact" part of that. When I stop at my local dealer to pick up parts, I park my E46 compact and have to walk past an M2, aka a 1 series coupe, that's slightly bigger in every way.

Presumably the new "compact" sedan will basically be an e90 and weigh 1500+kg.

Looking at Wikipedia...

E46 - L: 176 W: 68.5 H: 55.7
E90 - L: 178 W: 72 H: 56
F22 - L: 174.5 W: 69.8 H: 55.8

The F22 is slightly wider and shorter but it's certainly no E90. Speaking of the E90, it didn't get bigger but I think it's due to styling and the addition of "crumple-zones" make the appear bigger than it's actual size.

I do agree, there's certainly space in the market for a compact BMW Sedan and a lot of enthusiasts would love a modern E46.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Looking at Wikipedia...

E46 - L: 176 W: 68.5 H: 55.7
E90 - L: 178 W: 72 H: 56
F22 - L: 174.5 W: 69.8 H: 55.8

The F22 is slightly wider and shorter but it's certainly no E90. Speaking of the E90, it didn't get bigger but I think it's due to styling and the addition of "crumple-zones" make the appear bigger than it's actual size.

I do agree, there's certainly space in the market for a compact BMW Sedan and a lot of enthusiasts would love a modern E46.

Remember, mine's an e46 compact. Google says it's 167" long and ~68" wide, versus 174.5 and 72 for the M2.

I would love a completely stripped-out, modern E30 with a Z axle rear end, quick rack, modern suspension setup (more damping, less travel) and the 250hp version of the current turbo 4 (128i spec?) even more - sort a BMW Clio V6 if you will - but that's not going to happen.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Length 4,620 mm (182 in)
4,800 mm (190 in) (US bumpers)
Width 1,700 mm (67 in)
Height 1,415 mm (55.7 in)

Guess the car

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
E24 is close but not quite.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jealous Cow posted:

E24 is close but not quite.

E28, I thought he was going for E24 at first, too.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
After a year of playing it safe with the stock chip I put the ebay chip the PO had back in the 325ix and went to the canyons to test it out.

:vince:

The difference isn't huge but it's all the difference. Rev limit is raised by 400 to 6900, timing advanced and there's definitely more oomph past 4k at WOT. There are a lot of corners where I used to redline in 2nd and hated it, this means I don't hit the limiter in those corners and I have more torque (supposed to be about 15hp and 15lbs). Did the snake and Latigo (twice). :getin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Every e30 needs a chip. Don't spend too much time at high revs though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Every e30 needs a chip. Don't spend too much time at high revs though.

This. I had an eBay chip in my 318iS and was very happy with it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi, i've been gone forever. i still have my 97 540i poormobile and in face i just dedicated about 4 or 5 grand total budget to getting it back on the road. Sadly, its been sitting for a year. Unsadly, i've been riding the bus and working from home.

But now it's time. I can't really do intensive work here in my new parking lot, but right now I am going to:

-Reinstall the alternator I had tested today (If it tested good should I worry at all? Bosch, no idea if original)
-Reinstall the battery i've had charging for a couple days - it's less than a year old and barely used, i just stupidly let it sit for a while. Should be ok to get rolling
-Change oil - sorely needed
-Coolant, it's about a year and a half old so it's not that ancient but i figure since it's been sitting i might as well dump and flush. Fortunately it has no long-term leaks to the point that fluid levels are appreciably below where I left them a year ago.

The rotors are of course rusty as hell - should I be scared or see how they go after a couple brake applications? Advice needed. I did get it started a few months or so ago and it's got some sort of tick. I'm not sure what it is, wondering if old cakey oil is sticking a lifter, but after I get it running I am going to get it towed (cause it's not tagged and needs to be smogged to get that way) to a reputable import shop here in Denver to give it a once-over and see what the situation is. I don't think it's anything super dire but I figure they can nail it down. I just need to get it passing smog for now.

After that I need to get the roof painted as the clear is peeling a bit, get some new headlights, new rubber and brakes, oh and to get the windshield replaced - kids and their errant soccer balls...

I decided that I never want to gently caress with buying a new car again, and I love it enough that as long as it's legal and looks good and runs fine, I'll keep dumping money into the e39 rather than make payments on new cars full of backup cameras and yippy turbo 4's.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 10, 2016

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How are E92 M3s holding up these days? Part of me is intrigued about owning that great V8, but they seem to be getting to that age where maintenance might start being an issue.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Residency Evil posted:

How are E92 M3s holding up these days? Part of me is intrigued about owning that great V8, but they seem to be getting to that age where maintenance might start being an issue.

E92s have problems with cooling due to engine bay design, and the water pump, as always is crap. But the S65 is really reliable. Weirdly reliable.
Granted breaks are expensive as gently caress, and electronics on the M£ are just as expensive. Especially with a DCT.

But I'm finding it gets harder over time to justify a 2-8 year old car over a new Mustang GT350. Of course things like interior are going to be better on the M3, but drat the gt350 is too good. It revs to the same redline, they weigh almost exactly the same, they have the same suspension trimmings and come with a 6MT, it's like the GT350 took off where the e92 M3 stopped.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 10, 2016

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Since getting an M2 seems to require a letter from the president, I have been looking at other things.

Am I stupid for wanting this?

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5436883627.html

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

E92s have problems with cooling due to engine bay design, and the water pump, as always is crap. But the S65 is really reliable. Weirdly reliable.
Granted breaks are expensive as gently caress, and electronics on the M£ are just as expensive. Especially with a DCT.

But I'm finding it gets harder over time to justify a 2-8 year old car over a new Mustang GT350. Of course things like interior are going to be better on the M3, but drat the gt350 is too good. It revs to the same redline, they weigh almost exactly the same, they have the same suspension trimmings and come with a 6MT, it's like the GT350 took off where the e92 M3 stopped.

I don't know. All of my research points to them being a really solid drivetrain. Sure you have to replace the water pump but that is about common as ever. The spooky parts seem to be rod bearing failure which A: would have likely happened by now with the current vintage and B: can be spotted for replacement with regular oil analysis results. If things continue going the way they have for me over the last couple years I will begin my hunt for an E90 M3 early next year. I understand for paper and figure racing against something like a GT350 shows the E9x as the underdog at this point I still think that the M3 will likely hold value better over a Mustang and be more appealing to own (this is purely speculative and opinion). At the end of the day there will be a bajillion Mustangs but a clean M3 will always invoke an emotional reaction.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Since getting an M2 seems to require a letter from the president, I have been looking at other things.

Am I stupid for wanting this?

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5436883627.html

Yes. I was on the fence until I saw the roll bar/cage thing. My '97 M3 has about 173K on the clock. Without even knowing what recent maintenance he has done I would say that you should plan on another four grand of maintenance to work on over the next year. You would be better off finding a well sorted out M3 of that vintage and spend 9 grand on it.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks for the input. I will keep looking! The local dealer has all their M2s spoken for and then a line 5 deep who have no order slot but have put deposits down in case the people with slots in front of them flake. Ain't no body got time for that.

Edit: Also I guess I should have clarified at first but... The above linked e36 disaster would be a toy not a dd, as would the m2 I will try again for next year :/.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 10, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I don't know. All of my research points to them being a really solid drivetrain. Sure you have to replace the water pump but that is about common as ever. The spooky parts seem to be rod bearing failure which A: would have likely happened by now with the current vintage and B: can be spotted for replacement with regular oil analysis results. If things continue going the way they have for me over the last couple years I will begin my hunt for an E90 M3 early next year. I understand for paper and figure racing against something like a GT350 shows the E9x as the underdog at this point I still think that the M3 will likely hold value better over a Mustang and be more appealing to own (this is purely speculative and opinion). At the end of the day there will be a bajillion Mustangs but a clean M3 will always invoke an emotional reaction.

Which is why it's getting harder for me to justify it without some cross shopping. It isn't at all clear cut distinction, but they share so many things in essence that it's hard not to.
Also IMO E92 styling is starting to age, and not too gracefully.

And I'd think the GT350 is a bit more than another Mustang. It's true that styling isnt that varied between trims but it's like saying an M3 is like some plonker 320i.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 10, 2016

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Somewhat Heroic posted:

.Yes. I was on the fence until I saw the roll bar/cage thing. My '97 M3 has about 173K on the clock. Without even knowing what recent maintenance he has done I would say that you should plan on another four grand of maintenance to work on over the next year. You would be better off finding a well sorted out M3 of that vintage and spend 9 grand on it.

If it actually is a track car its probably better maintained than 75% of BMWs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Crustashio posted:

If it actually is a track car its probably better maintained than 75% of BMWs.

While I would tend to agree with you a person that maintained it well would be reflected on the price and have stated the different maintenance done. In addition they would have a photo of the dash of it running after getting to temps. It looks like there are some nice bits under there, but he couldn't even be assed to clean the leaves out from under the hood and make it respectable.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh, hey, if you have an old bmw with the air duct to the back of the alternator, go clean that poo poo out next time you're in there and maybe chicken wire the intake or something. Jesus.

I just took the back cap off the alt and found what appear to be bones and feathers clogging the air path to my alternator

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

The rotors are of course rusty as hell - should I be scared or see how they go after a couple brake applications? Advice needed.

When I got my 04 325 it had sat in a garage for over a year and a half and the rotors were so rusty the brakes were actually frozen and left little piles of brown dust on the floor when they broke free. They cleaned up enough to be drivable on their own, but they didn't feel completely correct until I took them apart and sanded the rust off of the rotors.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

I spent $1200 on maintenance on my '08 E92 M3 last year. Two oil changes, a new battery to replace the original one, a new oil filler cap when I lost the poorly-designed gasket that sticks onto the bottom of it, and a set of new angel eyes when one went out. That figure also includes probably $200 worth of detailing products I bought as well. Oh and I bought a $25 hat from the BMW dealer when I was in getting the oil filler cap. Because I am Joey Tribbiani.

I drove it to redline in an enthusiastic fashion every time I started it up (after warming the engine oil temp to 210°), and put about 7k miles on it in 2015. It can chirp the tires going into every gear up to and including 4th and I try to do so as often as possible. (I drive it like it's meant to be used, so my maintenance tab isn't reflecting some unused garage queen.)

I've never once heard anything about cooling problems in the M3. The only potential problems that ever come up on the forums are: Rod bearings, which are a $2500 preventative maintenance item or a $25k engine replacement if you let them go and seem to affect about 2% of the entire community and as was mentioned, are pretty possible to observe and prevent through oil analysis, and the throttle actuators which are expensive and prone to failing around 45k miles. (~$2k) Other than that it seems to be ridiculously bulletproof as there's almost no other consistent issues that pop up on m3post.com forums. And since it's not one of 40-thousand-billion other mustangs on the road, it definitely has more cachet and more rarity among the cognoscenti. I am somewhat surprised at how rarely I do see duplicates on the roads in SoCal - in all of 2015, I saw just one other Space Grey Metallic all year - and due to that relative rarity, there's a neat little 'hey man nice car, heh heh' routine that always happens when two of them are in the same place.

It also sounds like this: http://picosong.com/85gU/

Anyone who thinks the E9x M3 isn't aging well is objectively wrong. I get comments on it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The_Franz posted:

When I got my 04 325 it had sat in a garage for over a year and a half and the rotors were so rusty the brakes were actually frozen and left little piles of brown dust on the floor when they broke free. They cleaned up enough to be drivable on their own, but they didn't feel completely correct until I took them apart and sanded the rust off of the rotors.

That's fine. I 100% am going to put pads and rotors on (welcoming suggestions on a reasonable amount to spend on these), but I just need to get it rollin' for now. Nothing plucky till that's fixed.