Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

D&B is by far one of the most versatile and varied of the electronic music genres so lol at anyone trying to declare what is and isn't D&B. To quote Noisia when UKF asked them where they draw the line between the neuro/tech D&B sub-genres (https://ukf.com/words/why-has-2015-been-such-a-strong-year-for-neurofunk/14926):

quote:

That question is almost as uninteresting as it is hard to answer. What exactly is the consequence of knowing when a tune crosses the elusive Noisia-Tech-Neuro Meridian? Will opinions be adjusted? Governments overthrown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

D&B is a bit of an old term anyways. More generally the styles of electronic music that now occupy the ~170BPM range are quite varied and have arisen organically over the last 30 years. Producers have always brought their personal influences to the table, and there have always been high-quality producers and poo poo producers. What's the most visible element of the genre right now, and what a lot of people know as drum&bass, is the mainstream jump-up cookie-cutter stuff. There are a lot of people making much more interesting and challenging music but it's understandably hard to know where to look sometimes when the mainstream stuff is so off-putting.

Just a few examples off the top of my head: depending on your particular leanings, you can go deep into the breaks with labels like Subtle Audio, you can follow the autonomic lineage with Auxiliary, Darkestral, Narratives, Noisy Meditation... Modern Urban Jazz has maintained experimental idealism within a more classic approach. Lots and lots of good music out there in any given genre, but perhaps a great deal more trash.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Well I will freely admit that there are far more subgenres in D&B than it has any right to have, and is probably metal's closest contender in the Pigeonhole Olympics. I just don't think putting any old music in that category because of the producer or the label is the right way to go about things.

Rodney The Yam II posted:

What's the most visible element of the genre right now, and what a lot of people know as drum&bass, is the mainstream jump-up cookie-cutter stuff. There are a lot of people making much more interesting and challenging music but it's understandably hard to know where to look sometimes when the mainstream stuff is so off-putting.

This attitude stinks, by the way. There are plenty of people out there who enjoy the more mainstream stuff, find out a bit more about the genre, dig deeper and find a whole lot more as a result. It doesn't mean they suddenly hate what they hear on the radio. And for gently caress's sake, calling music "challenging" is pathetic, it's not a video game, you don't need to be a certain level to take it on, you either like it or you don't. I imagine listening to Justin Bieber is "challenging" for most in here.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

HJB posted:

This attitude stinks, by the way. There are plenty of people out there who enjoy the more mainstream stuff, find out a bit more about the genre, dig deeper and find a whole lot more as a result. It doesn't mean they suddenly hate what they hear on the radio. And for gently caress's sake, calling music "challenging" is pathetic, it's not a video game, you don't need to be a certain level to take it on, you either like it or you don't. I imagine listening to Justin Bieber is "challenging" for most in here.

Liking or not liking music has a lot to do making positive/negative associations---that's where things like marketing and social connections play a very big role. Something might be immensely popular, it might have a billion 'likes', but does that make it 'alive'? If mainstream promotion is fixated on what can be easily sold, rather than fostering diversity and innovation, I would argue that it drives new ideas underground and makes it more difficult for people to find new music. It encourages (and in some cases might force) producers and DJs to conform to the dominant style rather than pursuing musical dialogue surrounding emergent styles.

Simply put, things that you are used to are "easier" to like. Things that you aren't used to are more "challenging". If you want to find new music, if you want to be exposed to new ideas, you must be willing to accept that your expectations will be challenged, am I wrong? Producers, DJs and promoters can make it easier for people to accept and experience new ideas, but only if they challenge themselves and risk challenging their audiences.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm not really a fan of Sigma's guest vocal-led style but the latest album is impeccably produced and has a bunch of cheeky old school nods in there, and the guy can layer percussion like nobody's business. People hearing stuff like that and liking it can then be introduced to better artists like Concorde Dawn and go from there. It may not be what 'we' like but I'd rather have a couple of tracks like "Nobody to Love" or some Pendulum on the radio whilst at work than yet another dreary singer-songwriter.

I'd rather not have the radio at all mind, but the majority of people aren't ready for Counterstrike; is it not better to get potential fans there gradually than instantly whack on some Donny, say "this is drum n bass" and put them off it for life?

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 31, 2016

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OPERATIONS vol. 11

Jack Ü - Where Are Ü Now (Hungry T bootleg)
BCee - Begins With You (ft. S.P.Y)
Marsbeing - The Player (L-Side remix)
Break - Late Exclusive
Enei - Forgotten Planet (ft. Foreign Concept & Peta Oneir)
Lenzman - Never Enough
Phase & Satl - Little Fingers
Thesis - Equanimity
Gerra & Stone - Almost U
Dawn Wall - Longshanks
Altitude - Wounded
BCee - The River Runs Dry (ft. LSB & Rocky Nti)
Zero T - Thirty Four
Calibre - Bogeyman Bullshit
Bladerunner - Soul Sense
Mikal - If We Become
Fanu - Revive
Module Eight - Rudeboy
Loxy & Resound - Outer Void
Dycide - Haku
Quadrant, Iris & Kid Hops - Pleiades (ft. Reise)
Module Eight - Severed
Fanu - Sleepwalking
Ivy Lab - Rorschach
Skeptical - Just One Kiss
Reds - Judgement
Konfront.Audio - In Control
J:Kenzo - Intalek
Fanu - Devil Chord
Artificial Intelligence - Heaven Sent
Neonlight & Wintermute - Posthuman
Bowsar & Term - Motion
Document One - Run The Block
Cause4Concern - Lowlife (Maztek remix)
Davip - Helicopters
Malux - Fonk
Chris.SU & Kryptomedic - Underground Culture (VIP)
Kelle - Hatchet Face
Aaronic - Frontline
Black Sun Empire & State Of Mind - Thug

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Nice set. Thug is a huge track.

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.
Seems to be a lot of strong opinions floating around regarding BMG investing in RAM records, what do you guys think? I don't see how it can be anything but good for the label and the artists; according to Andy C RAM will still retain full creative control.

http://www.dancingastronaut.com/2016/02/bmg-invests-seminal-drum-n-bass-imprint-ram-records/

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It's easy to bleat "sellouts", as some are, but whichever angle you look at it from it would have been insane for Andy C to turn it down. I also think I read somewhere that BMG intend to take advantage of RAM's entire catalogue, not just the obviously marketable new stuff, so there's that. Even if it just means some random ad in the future will feature a snippet of Body Rock, that's something, right?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jep_bjUzvHM

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

D&B heads, a friend of mine has bought some white labels and has no idea what they are they seem to be older tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/breaktheorydnb/help-m-id-these-white-labels

So far I've figured out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpZVPSCv79U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxmrAT5mMc

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaKggExI568
off the same release.

Can anyone help fill in the gaps here?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

88h88 posted:

D&B heads, a friend of mine has bought some white labels and has no idea what they are they seem to be older tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/breaktheorydnb/help-m-id-these-white-labels

So far I've figured out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpZVPSCv79U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxmrAT5mMc

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaKggExI568
off the same release.

Can anyone help fill in the gaps here?

Easiest way would be for them to check the matrix number in the runout groove of each record. Then just plug that number into Discogs and they'll probably find it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Easiest way would be for them to check the matrix number in the runout groove of each record. Then just plug that number into Discogs and they'll probably find it.

Superb, I'll let him know, cheers!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just found out Dieselboy is playing here on 3/3 with Downlink and early bird tickets are only $10 :eyepop:

So of course I snagged a ticket. It'll be my first time seeing either of them live.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Crosspost from the Toronto LAN thread; I know at least a couple of you lurker junglists are from around here:

This weekend I will be saying goodbye to a beloved venue that hosts regular Drum & Bass nights: Tota. Like the D&B scene, it might seem rough from the outside, but what I've found going to Tota regularly are some of the most passionate, inclusive people I've ever had the pleasure of partying with. Parties wouldn't exist without a venue whose owners and staff are similarly passionate so this weekend we're giving Tota the sendoff it deserves with a stacked lineup of fantastic local junglist talent. The official Finale is this Friday but there will also be one final Church Sunday as well, with no cover charge all night. I know at least a couple of goons are into D&B but I'm unsure if they've ever checked out the local scene. I'll be at both events for sure. Come out, you won't be disappointed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh huh, that's ten minutes from my house and I haven't been to any DnB anything in Toronto yet. I'm swamped Friday night but I'll try to make it Sunday.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't loving get enough of this Keeno tune At Twilight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2N1p6aD9s

It's been on the Hospital podcast a couple times but I've listened to it over and over again outside of that too. It's probably my favorite liquid tune in a good long while and it's exceptional gym music too.

There have been other Keeno tracks on the Hospital podcast recently too and they've all been this good. I'm really looking forward to his new album. It actually comes out today (the 26th) on Med School.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Logistics album out at the end of March, y'all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYUUPpXShg

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just found out Dieselboy is playing here on 3/3 with Downlink and early bird tickets are only $10 :eyepop:

So of course I snagged a ticket. It'll be my first time seeing either of them live.

Sweet.. make sure and tell us how it was. I flew into Miami last thursday on a connecting flight and of course Dieselboy was playing that Friday. such is life :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I need some new stuff to work out to, have I missed any exemplary mixes recently?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Dieselboy live is so loving insanely...insane. Downlink always slays too. You're gonna have a blast friend.

bwatts
May 28, 2013

drum and bass father is the best song in the world

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

I got tickets for this tour in my city as well, Im really excited. I haven't seen him since the early 2000's I think.

So I logged on to beatport for the first time in months today to serach for some new tracks as I have some free time and I noticed that they removed all of the sub genre classifications in their genre search. Is there a still a way to search for things like jungle or breaks even any more? It's really frustrating.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got home from Dieselboy and Downlink. Fuuuuuuuuck, that was insane. I danced faster and harder during that show than at any show I've been to in at least the past several months.

I made a rookie mistake, though. I didn't get any water beforehand, and I started feeling dehydrated like 5 minutes into Dieselboy's set, but I kept on dancing through his whole set and all of Downlink's set before getting water. Next time I'm gonna come prepared. That was a fuckin'' workout though, drat.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Schematic - Creep / Yeah What just dropped.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just got home from Dieselboy and Downlink. Fuuuuuuuuck, that was insane. I danced faster and harder during that show than at any show I've been to in at least the past several months.

I made a rookie mistake, though. I didn't get any water beforehand, and I started feeling dehydrated like 5 minutes into Dieselboy's set, but I kept on dancing through his whole set and all of Downlink's set before getting water. Next time I'm gonna come prepared. That was a fuckin'' workout though, drat.

That sounds amazing. If Dieselboy ever comes to Perth I'm definitely going. Also I made the same mistake when I saw Blackout (BSE, Neonlight, SoM and Trei plus local act VLTRN) last year although it wasn't my fault really as the bar staff definitely ignored water requests over requests for pints.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Evol Intent track from Hospital's Future Sound Of America compilation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YmldUPigp4

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

New Evol Intent track from Hospital's Future Sound Of America compilation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YmldUPigp4

What is the violin sample from? It's driving me nuts.

Good tune though!

e: It's Pyramid Song by Radiohead, ha!

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 10, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gigi Galli posted:

What is the violin sample from? It's driving me nuts.

Good tune though!

e: It's Pyramid Song by Radiohead, ha!
Holy poo poo, you're right :stare: I didn't even catch that on my first listen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Another new Logistics tune from his album dropping in a couple weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBR11H2Hho8

Shaping up to be a real good one :swoon:

neom
Jun 1, 2006

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Dunno how excited about the current state of 'main stream' neuro people are but Audio - Ultron (Mefjus Remix) is finally confirmed, it's not a VIP, it exists outside of Audio and Andy C's computers and it's coming soon. I've been rinsing lovely youtube rips of this for months and it still kills me, I'm so excited.

March is looking to be an amazing month, on top of Logistics we've got a L33 EP + album sampler, Sam Binga + Om Unit EP, SpectraSoul EP AND a Current Value LP.

And this beautiful piece of work courtesy of Dub Phizix appeared out of nowhere yesterday. Saw him with Strategy last month, absolutely one of the best gigs I've been to.

neom fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 12, 2016

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

neom posted:

And this beautiful piece of work courtesy of Dub Phizix appeared out of nowhere yesterday. Saw him with Strategy last month, absolutely one of the best gigs I've been to.

Doberman, the B-side to that, is deadly as well.

Personally I wish that triplet-swing style of neurofunk would just die already, but that Mefjus remix is pretty good.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I can't loving get enough of this Keeno tune At Twilight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2N1p6aD9s

It's been on the Hospital podcast a couple times but I've listened to it over and over again outside of that too. It's probably my favorite liquid tune in a good long while and it's exceptional gym music too.

There have been other Keeno tracks on the Hospital podcast recently too and they've all been this good. I'm really looking forward to his new album. It actually comes out today (the 26th) on Med School.

Thanks for this. I'm really enjoying the Keeno album.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

neom posted:

Dunno how excited about the current state of 'main stream' neuro people are but Audio - Ultron (Mefjus Remix) is finally confirmed, it's not a VIP, it exists outside of Audio and Andy C's computers and it's coming soon. I've been rinsing lovely youtube rips of this for months and it still kills me, I'm so excited.

March is looking to be an amazing month, on top of Logistics we've got a L33 EP + album sampler, Sam Binga + Om Unit EP, SpectraSoul EP AND a Current Value LP.

IMO that Mefjus remix is a bit meh, removes a lot of energy from the original. I'm psyched for the new Current Value album and L 33 EP. BSE and SOM dropped their "The Violent Five" EP last Friday which is solid: https://soundcloud.com/blackoutmusicnl/sets/black-sun-empire-state-of. Also Akrom is meant to be releasing a new EP under Red Light soon, the teaser sounds great: https://soundcloud.com/optiv/akrom-invictus.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Another new Logistics tune from his album dropping in a couple weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBR11H2Hho8

Shaping up to be a real good one :swoon:

I like this a lot. Logistics and Calibre have to be some of the most consistent dudes in d+b

neom
Jun 1, 2006

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I think it being so exclusive has probably twisted me, it's not something I'd play out, just something I'd layer between tracks, but I love the way it fucks with the original sound.

L33 sampler is solid, 3/4 tracks is a great showing for anyone.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OPERATIONS vol. 12

Hungry T - Space Chase
Technimatic - Flashbulb VIP
Mage - Look To The Stars
1991 - Sprites
Schematic - Yeah, What?
Break - Free Your Mind
Greaus & Sinistarr - Bone Deep
Quentin Hiatus - Wait Right Here
Taelimb - Depth Charge
DubApe - Soundboy Killa
Resound & The Untouchables - Separate Reality
Quartz & Nanobyte - Tachyon
Paragon & Gremlinz - Oranda (VIP)
Mikal - Brain Matter (ft. Chimpo)
Enei - Analog Desert
Calibre - Hold The Light
Module Eight - Ghost
TC - Rep (ft. Jakes)
Mikal - Make Me Feel
Klax - Ritalin
Dub Phizix - Doberman (ft. Ward 21)
Goldie & Ruffige Kru - Dark Rider (Scar remix)
Bensley - Tiptoe
LSB - It Finds You (ft. Tokyo Prose)
Command Strange - Night Mist
Alix Perez & Ivy Lab - Arkestra
Calibre - Bottles & Airports
Total Science & Nymfo - Forward Motion
Ownglow - All Black
Schematic - Creep
Survey - Plastic Velvet
Enei & Eastcolours - Jungle Business
Silent Witness - High Flyer
Trilo - Punk Funk (ft. Nuclear MC)
Document One - Small Steps
Instinkt - Nebula
The Clamps - Radiation
Gydra - Split Attack
Zombie Cats - Fear & Circles
Black Sun Empire & State Of Mind - Pull The Trigger

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And another winner from Logistics :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvOeEOh975I

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I have an opportunity to see the Pendulum DJ set in about a month, the Ultra performance got me hyped as hell is this worth seeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

LionYeti posted:

I have an opportunity to see the Pendulum DJ set in about a month, the Ultra performance got me hyped as hell is this worth seeing?

From what I hear, yes. I'd kill to see Pendulum anything, though.